SF4 Plinking

talk about how great training mode is
CPS2

SF4 Plinking

Post by CPS2 »

Just wondering something about plinking in SF4, as I understand it you're supposed to get a double input when sliding from a stronger attack to a weaker one, because the game recognises it as pressing the stronger attack once, and then the stronger attack plus the weaker attack at the same time (defaulting to the stronger attack). It sounds like it makes sense, but I think I've found an exception to it. With Chun's cr.LPx3>st.HP, if I plink the input I can manage to get standing LP to come out, even though on input display the only time it says LP, is where it also shows HP at the same time.

I have a feeling that even tho plinking is meant to allow you to hit a link early, and it still should work due to the double input, there's examples of where it doesn't work like that. Worst case scenario is that it never works like that, and people just think it does.

Some of us can test this stuff out by programming inputs into games, slowing the games down, or whatever. I was planning on doing this myself but am having trouble with SF4 on PC, I think my computer just isn't good enough to run it and I get a lot of random results when scripting inputs.

So I'm just wondering what people's thoughts are on plinking, do we have some people who understand it in depth and can explain why I managed to get LP+HP=LP?
error1

Re: Plinking

Post by error1 »

CPS2 wrote: With Chun's cr.LPx3>st.HP, if I plink the input I can manage to get standing LP to come out, even though on input display the only time it says LP, is where it also shows HP at the same time.
c. lp->s. lp-> generally isn't a link but a chain. Do it with mp and it should work better
CPS2

Re: Plinking

Post by CPS2 »

error1 wrote:
CPS2 wrote: With Chun's cr.LPx3>st.HP, if I plink the input I can manage to get standing LP to come out, even though on input display the only time it says LP, is where it also shows HP at the same time.
c. lp->s. lp-> generally isn't a link but a chain. Do it with mp and it should work better
lol that was easy. Makes sense, thanks.

Something else I was wondering, does the first and second input have to be on 2 consecutive frames, and if not, is it possible to get a triple input (for HP), going from HP~MP~LP on 3 consecutive frames?
Maj

Re: SF4 Plinking

Post by Maj »

From what i've seen, i'm pretty sure all kara-cancels in SF4 are limited to a one-frame window. The only exceptions are arbitrary things like Sagat's F+LK being whiff cancelable and Akuma being able to cancel anything via Demons.

That's why everything has such a huge pre-buffer window. Normally that'd be your kara-cancel window but SF4 just saves it for after the move connects.
Raine

Post by Raine »

Hmm if I understand correctly it is possible to use plink using 3 inputs on consecutive frames, so for the Chun example, HP~MP~LP would give you 3 chances at hitting the link rather than one. You've already encountered the problem you get with this though that if your plink is done too early (during the window in which you could chain cancel the c.LP), then you'll end up getting s.LP instead.

EDIT: I did some testing and it seems it'll only work with 2 inputs, not 3. That's what I get for believing everything I read on SRK haha.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

By the way the reason this "helps" is simple, but just to clarify:

I made a little visual representation for my blog but never posted it.

Basically the blues represent frames. If you have a 1F window where you need to press HP, and you're just pressing HP alone then you must press it on exactly the 5th frame. But with Plinking you can start the input on either the either the 3rd, 4th, or 5th frame and still get a HP to execute on exactly the 5th frame. It doesn't turn the link from a 1F link to a 3F link it just increases the window of execution from 1 to 3.
Looks like Jolly Ranchers & Baskin's Sherbet.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Nice diagram. Why didn't you post it?

Btw do we have concrete proof that it's 3F and not 2F? Because like i said before, my money's on 2F. In other words, i buy into your bottom two orange rows but not your top row. But this is the kind of thing that could only be tested conclusively on the PC version, which i don't have.
CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

If someone does test it, I guess you could just switch out LP for LK and it should still work. If it works =]
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

edit --- err hang on.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Well OK I don't know how you'd test for concrete evidence but I do have the PC version and some time to kill.

After testing it at low framerate in several different ways I'm pretty convinced that the same input will never occur a third time. So yeah it's not possible (or it's likely to not be humanly possible). Kara/slide/plink only carries an input over once and only once.

Also I didn't test error1's explanation of chaining interfering with plinks but I assume he's correct.
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

So was this ever made official? I know it's late as heck, but I still don't know wheter it's a 2 or 3 frame plink. I still feel it's 2 frames, so could someone shed some light on this?
Making no profit since 1987...
error1

Post by error1 »

is what a 2 or 3 frame plink? All plinks make the game register a button input twice.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I'm pretty sure that 'input cancels' are 1-frame only, and plinks will only carry one frame. I'll see if it's possible to plink-cancel one special into another. Might make for some interesting possibilities.
error1

Post by error1 »

what's a plink-cancel? do you mean kara cancel?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

error1 wrote:what's a plink-cancel? do you mean kara cancel?
I suppose. Technically, Kara cancel refers to other types of canceling as well.
error1

Post by error1 »

yah you can only kara cancel a move once, gouken can't lp counter kara into lk counter kara into ex counter, and no renda cancels in sf4
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

error1 wrote:yah you can only kara cancel a move once, gouken can't lp counter kara into lk counter kara into ex counter, and no renda cancels in sf4
Yeah, but you can (I think) kara cancel from a regular special move into an EX special move (or possibly a kkk/ppp special).
There are renda (chain) cancels in SF4. I think there's no renda-kara cancels like SF2 has.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Plinking and kara-cancels are totally different concepts. Their only similarity is that they're both based in input leniency.

With plinking, you're not actually canceling anything. If plinking occurs, that's because the initial input was negated by hitstun/blockstun/recovery.

With kara-cancels, both moves actually come out. The second one simply cancels the first one, with certain residual effects left over - such as forward movement or Ken's distorted air Hurricane Kick arc or Akuma's red flames or whatever.

By plinking from s.HK to s.HK+MK, you're replacing the MK input with another HK input. It's impossible to kara-cancel s.MK into s.HK normals.

edit: I know everyone knows all this, but i'm just restating for clarity because it's easy to get it mixed up in conversation.
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

Yess, thank you very much for clearing that up. It took my forever to understand the idea of plinking, and once I did I asked myself how wide was the frame window for successfully landing a solid plink. I guess it's 2 frames. Now that it is, I have a clearer understanding of what my execution needs to be. . . or at least what it's supposed to be.
spookydonkey

Post by spookydonkey »

heres what ive been wanting to know for some time now:

do directional inputs have the same effect?

example:
cody - s.strong, c.fierce

nuetral on stick when you input s.strong... then opposed to holding down @ some early point in the strong animation, you wait for the fierce input

the input display reads the same as a plink but w/down input arrows

does this make sense? :oops:
ewige blumenkraft!
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

Directional inputs.. thats a good question. I'm not sure bro. and no, not very much to me. Plus Cody is one of the 5 characters I know nothing about. People here have the ability to use programmable controllers to test it out. I'm sure they'll be glad to help. ask rufus, or error1. I'm sure they'll help you out.
error1

Post by error1 »

spookydonkey wrote: the input display reads the same as a plink but w/down input arrows
you can't plink with directional inputs

are you sure it looks the same?

a plink to get two chances at c.hp in a s.mp,c.hp combo should look like

mp
d+hp
d+hp+lp

I don't see anything like that with directional buttons
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

spookydonkey wrote:...
Button -> Button+Direction plinking does not appear to work.
spookydonkey

Post by spookydonkey »

i wasnt sure, but i knew this would be a fine place to get an answer

obviously my grasp of the core concept was flawed :oops:
it was a fleeting idea i had based on a feeling... it seemed like links that required directional changes became easier if i waited to press direction&button simultaneously. & youre right, error, the input display doesnt show exactly like a plink, but the way it displays direction+button input clouded it further in my mind.

on a down+hp it shows:

down+hp
down

i guess i was figuring the extra input was "bumping" the button input up into proper timing... like i said, flawed grasp of the concept :P
thx for setting me straight sirs!
ewige blumenkraft!
error1

Post by error1 »

no problem, there is something to it tho if you're playing on a keyboard.
in the same way strong attacks override weaker attacks, and kicks override punches when pressed on the same frame, forward overrides back and can be used for some charging tricks
GetTheFruit

Post by GetTheFruit »

Rufus wrote:
spookydonkey wrote:...
Button -> Button+Direction plinking does not appear to work.
Actually, It is possible. For example, I have tested if Ken can do a Kara back-throw. It works, but too damn hard to execute, easier on stick than pad though.
Input for ken's backthrow shows like this:
Back+LP+LK+MK
Forward+MK
Forward
Desk also proved it in his last " impossible 720 motion" video.

EDIT:
I actually made a mistake and fixed it
Last edited by GetTheFruit on Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
error1

Post by error1 »

that isn't plinking
plinking a throw would be

Forward+LP+LK
Forward+LP+LK+MK
Forward
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXN9TgnI5XA

Yeah, but the direction change won't double the button inputs.
GetTheFruit

Post by GetTheFruit »

Ohh yeah your right, It seems I misunderstood your previous post.
Hahaha, great demo. You didn't have to bother though =x.
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

Okay, Xenozip, I made a video using your grid. I hope you don't mind. I put your name on it. I made it to show my understanding of the idea of plinking. I hope I'm not wrong, but I'm open for criticism. I'll link it when it's done.

Edit* here's the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaPAZ5TmDF0