Majestic Screenshot Gallery

video previews, releases, and feedback
Maj

Re: Majestic Screenshot Gallery

Post by Maj »

What's the third (and most likely) first thing that comes to mind when you think of the Alpha series? Custom Combos!

Image ~~~ Image

The first is SFA2 Sagat mashing on LK Ground Tiger Shot in CC against another Sagat mashing on LP Tiger Shot in CC. The second is SFA2 Akuma mashing on LP air FB in CC against Charlie mashing on LP Sonic Boom in CC. Akuma reached that height via vertical jumping air Hurricane Kick, which was canceled into HP air FB in CC. That first air fireball touches the ground too soon so it's not pictured.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Speaking of Customs, shadows are tight.

Image ~~~ Image

The first is SFA2 Evil Ryu's Teleport opposite Akuma's Teleport. The second is SFA3 V-Adon's HK Jaguar Tooth in VC1 against A-Gen's lvl3 Kouga.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

You so crazy.
Looks like Jolly Ranchers & Baskin's Sherbet.
NKI

Post by NKI »

Hahaha...nice.

I wish I had more time to do fun stuff like this...
Maj

Post by Maj »

Motion blur was more commonly used in SFA3 sprites than in the SF2 series, with the exception of SSF2/ST Cammy who started it all.

Image ~~~ Image

The first is SFA3 X-Cammy's j.LK against V-Charlie's Dash Knee Bazooka. The second is SFA3 A-Karin's LK Mujin Kyaku against X-Vega's F+HK.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Xenozip. wrote:You so crazy.
NKI wrote:Hahaha...nice.
Thank you sirs. Got a set of four coming up, as soon as i can get this last one wrapped up.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Simultaneous Superfreeze: Case 1!
(Street Fighter Alpha series)

Image ~~~ Image

The first is SFA Rose's lvl3 Aura Soul Throw against Akuma's lvl3 Messatsu Gouhadou. The second is SFA2 Charlie activating air Custom Combo against Gen activating Custom Combo. SFA3 doesn't allow simultaneous superfreezing, forcing characters to take turns (in randomized order) instead.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Simultaneous Superfreeze: Case 2!
(Capcom's Marvel series)

Image ~~~ Image

The first is MSH Dr.Doom's air Photon Array against Magneto's air Magnetic Tempest, taken using Kawaks because i couldn't get boss codes to work in MAME. COTA and MSH are the only two Marvel games which permit simultaneous supers, but of course superfreeze is completely absent from COTA. The second is MvC Morrigan's Silhouette Blade and Lilith's Splendor Love during Variable Cross against Morrigan's lvl3 Eternal Slumber. MvC normally prohibits simultaneous supering, but super moves bypass superfreeze entirely while Variable Cross (aka Duo Team Attack) is active. Thus i was able to capture all three characters' superfreeze frames in unison, but the only actual superfreeze pictured above belongs to 2P Morrigan.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Fair warning guys; there's no way i can keep up this pace for much longer. These things are starting to consume an alarming amount of time.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Epic Super Clash: Episode 9!
(Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo)

Image ~~~ Image

The first is SSF2T Fei Long's Rekka Shin Ken against Balrog's Crazy Buffalo. The second is SSF2T Cammy's Spin Drive Smasher having passed under the Tiger Knee component of Sagat's Tiger Genocide.
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

Does Fei-Longs super win that? I assume it does as if I remember its like 30 frames of invincibility or all the way up to right before the last punch... so ridiculous.

Also I love the Custom ones from the alpha games. Its like Gen is training Adon haha.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Hah, good call - Fei Long beat Balrog's super on every single attempt. However in terms of a real match, Balrog's superior range and combo consistency give him the clear advantage. Balrog can punish Fei Long's super on block and whiff whereas Fei Long has to super inbetween Balrog's rushes by some miracle timing/spacing.

Thanks for the feedback, especially your awesome interpretation of the Adon/Gen scene.
desk

Post by desk »

All of your shots are consistently awesome! I'm just concerened that we're the only people who get to appreciate them. If they were combovids you could just post them everywhere but screen shots are difficult.

Just want to check with everyone... a vid with nothing but screen shots would be rubbish right?.. because maj has inspired me to do one.

That fei/boxer one gives me big rocky/apollo vibes. I like it :)
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

A slideshow, or slides appearing within a video would be interesting.
NKI

Post by NKI »

I really like these snapshots, but I'm not too sure that a vid would be well-received.
Maj

Post by Maj »

You can't escape!
(my little tribute to Zangief)

Image ~~~ Image

The first is MvC Zangief's HK Flying Powerbomb (in Iron Body form) chasing down Megaman through (2P color) Thor assist and Megaman's Charge Shot. The second is SFA3 A-Balrog's lvl3 Gigaton Blow about to be grabbed by X-Zangief's lvl3 Final Atomic Buster. Both titles were released in the same year, and lazy-ass Capcom actually used the same exact lightning bolt animation in these two backgrounds.
Maj

Post by Maj »

desk wrote:All of your shots are consistently awesome! I'm just concerened that we're the only people who get to appreciate them. If they were combovids you could just post them everywhere but screen shots are difficult.
Thank you sir. I'm not entirely sure where this is going, but for now i'm content to be entertaining the people on this forum. If SRK ever finds this place, through google or whatever, i'll go over there and post a link to this thread. Or maybe i'll organize everything into an archived pack like this one and release it publicly in the near future. Either way i'm sure it'll take care of itself eventually.
That fei/boxer one gives me big rocky/apollo vibes. I like it :)
Haha, acutally what inspired me to pick those two was MixBlender's post on SRK about orchestrating a Bruce Lee vs Apollo Creed dream-match.

NKI wrote:I really like these snapshots, but I'm not too sure that a vid would be well-received.
Gotta agree here - you could certainly throw a couple of screenshots into a proper combo video but i can't imagine a slideshow video working. Plus video compression would blur the screenshots while multiplying the filesize by like ten. When it comes to still images, i think a webpage gallery is the best approach. You could even include "more info" links that expand and contract on the same page like the descriptions on youtube.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Group photo! Everyone gather 'round!

Image ~~~ Image

The first is a pair of MvC Lilith/Morrigan teams Taunting during Variable Cross, as the timers expire and the ugly flashy background overlay disappears. The second is MvC Commando and Red Venom winning by Timeout over Spider-Man and Chun Li, with both teams engaged in Variable Cross as time ran out. For whatever reason, lifebars and superbars disappeared on the frame before the victory screen occurred.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Next up ... the Street Fighter EX series!

Let's begin with an awesome shot from the SFEX2+ intro, taken right after the "Insert Coin" text disappears but right before the title logo materializes.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Epic Super Clash: Episode 10!
(Street Fighter EX)

The first is SFEX Guile's Opening Gambit against Guile's Double Somersault Kick. I'm not sure whether the shadows are supposed to look so ghetto or if that's one of the game's many graphical emulation problems. The second is a post-KO replay of SFEX Ken's Shinryuken against D.Dark's KILL Trump.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Epic Super Clash: Episode 11!
(Street Fighter EX Plus)

The first is SFEX+ Blair's Spin Side Shoot against Pullum's air Praec Larm, forming a perfect legtangle. Haha, making myself laugh over here. Wow i sure am easily amused sometimes, huh? The second is a post-KO replay of SFEX+ B.Ryu's Shinkuu Hadoken against Akuma's Tenma Gou Zankuu. I like the way their collected energy travels gradually with their hand movements, which is something that 2D games always neglect to animate.
ShinjiGohan

Post by ShinjiGohan »

maybe some duo Shun Gokou Satsus are in order.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Epic Super Clash: Episode 12!
(Street Fighter EX2)

The first is SFEX2 Skullo's Skullo Energy against Shadow's Death Energy. The second is a post-KO replay of SFEX2 Vega's Sky High Illusion flying over Blanka's fully charged Ground Shave Rolling. Again, i'm unsure if Blanka's sparks are supposed to look that way or if it's simply poor graphical emulation.

ShinjiGohan wrote:maybe some duo Shun Gokou Satsus are in order.
Without shadows, Raging Demon ends up looking identical to Teleport. You can't get them both to grab simultaneously either. One of them always wins and it's random like choosing who gets the throw when both players press the button on the same frame. The only way to make it look cool is to capture superfreeze, which i might end up doing down the line since the SFEX series does allow simultaneous superfreezes.
ShinjiGohan

Post by ShinjiGohan »

When it cames down to Kairi vs Akuma, akuma almost always seemed to win unfortuntately.

I forget if thats the same against Evil Ryu though, but I think I was mostly testing Kairi vs Akuma (try and hate on akuma fanboys but it didn't work, fucker kept on winning the exchange lol)
Maj

Post by Maj »

Epic Super Clash: Episode 13!
(Street Fighter EX2 Plus)

The first is SFEX2+ Dhalsim's lvl3 Yoga Inferno against Bison's lvl3 Psycho Break Smasher. The second is a post-KO replay of SFEX2+ Guile's lvl3 Sonic Boom Typhoon against Chun Li's lvl3 Shin Kikosho.
NKI

Post by NKI »

These screenshots have reminded me how incredibly ugly SFEX is.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Yeah, those were the days. It's technically a few years younger than Virtua Fighter and the first Tekken. But yeah, Battle Arena Toshinden and SFEX were balls of glorious hideous polygons.

It's funny how that works. I'd be willing to go back to 8-bit graphics for a good game, but I don't ever want to go back to cheesewedge polygonal nightmares.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Simultaneous Superfreeze: Case 3!
(Street Fighter EX series)

The first is SFEX C.Jack's Home Run Hero against Zangief's Super Stomping. The second is SFEX2+ Sharon's lvl3 Assault Rifle against Hokuto's lvl3 Shirase Gatana. All four SFEX arcade titles permit simultaneous superfreezing, and it's a good bet that all console versions follow suit.
ShinjiGohan

Post by ShinjiGohan »

Xenozip. wrote:Yeah, those were the days. It's technically a few years younger than Virtua Fighter and the first Tekken. But yeah, Battle Arena Toshinden and SFEX were balls of glorious hideous polygons.

It's funny how that works. I'd be willing to go back to 8-bit graphics for a good game, but I don't ever want to go back to cheesewedge polygonal nightmares.
you gotta ease back into it lol. For example Wild Arms looks horrible in 3D, but after playing Chrono Cross right before it, I got readjusted to bad 3D graphics so the art in wild arms didn't affect me as much then.

its also worth noting that (at least in the first game), the console version was a lot less blocky than the arcade version.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Concluding this journey through the arcane origins of the SFEX series, here we have two rare instances of true 3D movement.

The first is SFEX+ B.Ryu's F+KKK Teleport evading Allen's Guard Break. The second is SFEX2 Kairi's HP Shin Ki Hatsudo after using B+KKK Teleport to sidestep Guile's Opening Gambit. In fact, the way Arika interpreted Teleportation has always been one of my favorite things about the SFEX series.