Who Wants to Help Make dogface Famous?

video previews, releases, and feedback
ShinjiGohan

Re: Who Wants to Help Make dogface Famous?

Post by ShinjiGohan »

dang, had I have known I would have lowered the BGM and kept the SFX at max.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Yeah it's always a good idea to take that approach. Even if you like the in-game background music, it's always easier to work it in during editing than to be at the mercy of luck. That's why i avoided Dhalsim's stage because there's no way to get rid of those elephant trumpets and sometimes they end up exactly where you don't want them to be.

That said, i think it turned out okay, because the SFEX games is where the SF2->SF4 BGM transition lands, giving viewers' ears something to focus on.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Okay, the third segment of the first episode is out. Again, slight delays due to editing but the cuts are helluva smooth this time.

Actually i have a small favor to ask. If everyone could post a brief comment on the website telling the story of their "Street Fighter Splinter" that would be beyond awesome.
ShinjiGohan

Post by ShinjiGohan »

hey maj, since they found that ex armor hit cancel to other special/super/ultra (would be nice when they give it a short name to label it instead) would you want me to try and get that on the clip too?
ZenFire

Post by ZenFire »

ShinjiGohan wrote:(would be nice when they give it a short name to label it instead)
I think you're sitting right on it: "armor cancel"
ShinjiGohan

Post by ShinjiGohan »

armor cancel doesn't seem right, because whats causing the cancel, whats being canceled and whats being canceled into. armor cancel as it stands sounds like someone losing their armor properties but thats it. not the extra EX move, super or ultra thats canceled from it.

maybe double armor cancel, or armor double cancel or something. since your canceling your armor and then canceling the rest of the ex move into something else.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Thanks for offering but since it wouldn't be a new throw type, i don't think it's necessary for the video. I tried to keep the clips interesting but this was meant to be nothing more than a collection of Gief's various throws. Plus i don't want to have to go back and mess with the timeline at all. I really appreciate it though.
Maj

Post by Maj »

And we finally have the fourth segment of the first episode ready to go.

Next weekend we'll probably post the Gief vid and the week after that will be the first part of the second episode with new guests, new location, new set, new old posters hanging on new walls.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Gief vid is up on the website and it looks pretty snazzy. I've also got a temporary download link for you guys so you don't think i've sold out and gone mainstream with youtube and shit and recording flippable A3 combos what's that about?

Speaking of u2b, i had kind of an interesting framerate problem. In older SF2 games, the screen shakes back and forth every frame whenever someone gets slammed into the ground. Nobody knows the exact technical specifications of u2b formats but they definitely don't support anything over 30 fps. So cutting framerate from 59.94 fps to 29.97 fps completely eliminates the screen shaking, which looks really strange if you've ever played any of these games yourself.

Anyway i tried to play around with frame rate in order to get the shake back. Using 30 fps instead of 29.97 fps wasn't a big enough change apparently because everything looked the same. Using 24 fps brought back some shaking, although it looked different and more unstable, but the bigger problem was that it screwed with other animations like Marvel series FAB enders where Gief is spinning every frame. Using 25 fps yielded much better results on that front, but the shake was gone again. Also tried to use Field Rendering in order to produce an interlaced video at 29.97 fps, but that turned into a mess and i didn't feel like sorting it out.

Finally i tried Frame Blending in AfterEffects, which solved both problems. It worked right away too, without a lot of trial and error. Although it's still ridiculous that i spent the past eight hours trying to cut my frame rate in half for the sole sake of fitting into the youtube lifestyle.

Oh yeah, and youtube doesn't care about bitrate. I think as long as you're over 1000kbps, you qualify for HQ. Resolution is the bigger issue, because 320x240 definitely doesn't work no matter how high your frame rate and bitrate may be.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Since it accepts 1280x720 as HD, I'm going to fake my videos' resolutions when I upload them so I can maintain high quality. That's what I plan to do for TF2 and maybe future Marvel videos. Oh youtube <3
Maj

Post by Maj »

Youtube Statistics & Data wrote:Honors for this video (3)
#68 - Most Viewed (Today) - Gaming - Australia
#32 - Most Viewed (Today) - Gaming - New Zealand
#74 - Top Favorited (Today) - Gaming
Man what the hell am i doing still living in El Ay? I need to get my shit together and move to New Zealand! I'd be treated like a gaming rock star, and Zangief would be my 32-string guitar!
Maj

Post by Maj »

17,995 views whooo!!

Alright so i was thinking about going through and adding annotations or subtitles to the Gief vid. Is there more than one way to do that on u2b? I've seen a couple of videos where subtitles only show up if you move the mouse over the player area. Annotations seem kind of intrusive but i might go that route since it seems so much easier and more customizable. I'll list them all here first, then start doing the work on u2b. Please let me know if you see any mistakes.

SF2WW: B+MP
SF2WW: B+HP
SF2WW: F+MK
SF2CE: F+HK
SF2CE: DB+MP
SF2CE: DB+HP
SF2HF: far F+HP
SF2HF: far F+HK
SF2HF: far DF+HP
SSF2T: B+MK
SFA2: F+HP
SFA2: F+HK
SFA2: DF+HP
SFZ2A: F+MP
MSHvSF: F+MP
MvC: F, F
MvC: F, F -> B+HP
MvC: F, F -> F+HK
SF2WW: 360+P
SSF2T: 360+LP
SSF2T: 360+MP
SSF2T: 360+HP
SSF2: 360+LK
SSF2: reversal 360+MK
SSF2: 360+HK
SSF2T: far 360+HK
SFA2: 360+LP
SFA2: 360+MP
SFA2: 360+HP
SFZ2A: 360+HK
SFZ2A: far 360+HK
XvSF: HCF+HK
SSF2: air B+HP
SSF2: air B+HK
XvSF: HCB+HK
XvSF: air B+HP
XvSF: air 360+HP
SFA3: air F+PPP
SFA3: far 360+HK
SFZ2A: B, DB, D+P (whiff)
SFZ2A: B, DB, D+P
XvSF: B, DB, D+HP+HK
SSF2T: 720+P
SFA2: 720+P
SFZ2A: 720+PP
SFA3: 720+HP
SFA2: QCF, QCF+K
CvS: QCF, QCF+HK
CvS2: QCF, QCF+HK
XvSF: 360+PPP
MSHvSF: QCF+HP+HK
MvC2: 360+KKK
SFEX: ???
SFEX: ???
SFEX: far 360+HK
SFEX: 720+P
SFEX2: ???
SFEX2: far 360+HK
SFEX2: QCB, QCB+K
SFEX2: 720+PPP
SFEX3: 360+HP
SFEX3: 360+HK
SFEX3: 720+KKK
SF4: B+LP+LK
SF4: F+LP+LK
SF4: 360+HP
SF4: 360+HK
SF4: far 360+HK
SF4: 360+PP
SF4: 360+KK
SF4: far 360+KK
SF4: 720+P
SF4: 720+PPP
PF: P+K
PF: F+P+K
PF: D+P+K
PF: HCF+P+K
PF: air P+K
PF: HCB+P+K
PF: P -> K -> P -> P
PF: lvl1 360+P+K
PF: lvl2 360+P+K
PF: lvl3 360+P+K
PF: 360+S
PF: HCF+S
CFE: 720+P

Btw, the first segment of the second episode is out, along with the trailer if you missed it.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Someone double-check the EX series moves and kick down the missing pieces please, thx.
error1

Post by error1 »

SFEX: While Opponents Back is facing you F + HK
SFEX: F+HP
SFEX: far 360+HK
SFEX: 720+P
SFEX2: F+HK
SFEX2: far 360+HK While Running P
SFEX2: QCB, QCB+K
SFEX2: 720+PPP

I've never played ex3 so I can't help you there
Maj

Post by Maj »

Thanks dude, i appreciate it. Took me like two hours but annotations are up now.
Maj

Post by Maj »

For those of you keeping tabs, episodes two and three have now been released in their entirety. You can find them on the DFS website and the DFS youtube channel. As of the end of Ep03, i'm gonna be focusing more on my own random projects and probably won't be involved with the show anymore. They've already filmed the fourth episode so the show will go on, hopefully indefinitely.
NKI

Post by NKI »

God damnit...

So as with everything else on Sonic Hurricane, I'm 6 months late in seeing this, but if there's anything I can do to help out, please let me know. I <3 dogface to death, and competitive SF does not deserve the crappy coverage it's gotten so far.
Maj

Post by Maj »

If you're interested in contributing to the show, the best people to ask are omni and of course dogface himself. As far as i know, those guys don't check this thread. If you've got some free time, i'm sure they can come up with something. Editing was always the bottleneck for the show as well as any bonus materials we came up with.
onReload

Post by onReload »

Oddly enough, when they did the apology video for part 4 of Episode 3, they asked people to send emails as a method of entering a contest.

I won the Dogface DVD. :)

It's a great show, but the thing is that I can only see it appealing to a small niche of people.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Really? Congratulations dude. (Haha, i knew that name looked familiar when Vic posted it on the website.)

Regarding the show's potential audience, the youtube channel has 962 subscribers already, which is no joke. SF4 sold 2.5 million copies. The Street Fighter franchise has sold 27 million units in total and has been around for over 20 years. The tournament community might be relatively small, but this show is about as casual as it could possibly be.

There's definitely a huge audience waiting out there. It's just a matter of reaching them.
onReload

Post by onReload »

Maj wrote:Really? Congratulations dude. (Haha, i knew that name looked familiar when Vic posted it on the website.)

Regarding the show's potential audience, the youtube channel has 962 subscribers already, which is no joke. SF4 sold 2.5 million copies. The Street Fighter franchise has sold 27 million units in total and has been around for over 20 years. The tournament community might be relatively small, but this show is about as casual as it could possibly be.

There's definitely a huge audience waiting out there. It's just a matter of reaching them.
Yeah but I mean, the amount of people who play the games vs. the amount of people that are interested in people who really love them, make a living on them, work on them, etc...I mean I'd be delighted if you turn out correct, I would love that, and would love to be a part of it...but I think to get a big audience, it has to be more like G4, where everything is dumbed down and the people keeping up with the scene are just bored and angered by it.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Just to avoid any confusion, i should probably mention that i'm kinda done working on DFS. It got too time-consuming and i think we had slightly different ideas about where the show should go, so the best thing for me to do was to get out of the way. Plus i basically inherited the defacto role of "web guy" which i'm neither good at nor particularly interested in. They're helluva lagging on finding someone to replace me but i think they'll be way better off once they find someone genuinely qualified. I really hope they succeed with everything and i get invited to be part of Vic's entourage for a day when he gets famous, but yeah, i'm not gonna be involved anymore.
SlimX

Post by SlimX »

Maj wrote:I really think that the way to promote any competitive activity is through hyping up its top talent. Right now most of the promotion we get is focused on the games and the events, which boils down to banking on the coolness of Las Vegas because it's hard to get anyone excited about dark hole-in-the-wall arcades. You certainly don't see the NBA selling tickets based on the quality of their seats or the roundness of the ball.
When it comes to getting people interested in the SF scene and tournaments, I think the problem has been that most video footage focuses too much on the game(s) itself and not enough on the community as a whole, as well as specific top players. I think people still have to already be somewhat into the games to know or care who someone like Valle or Wong is, especially if you concentrate on direct feed footage of the game while they're playing. That's a big difference between SF and pro sports: you can see the sports players doing their thing.

I think showing off how tight the community itself is, how hyped they get at tourneys, and how into the whole event everyone gets, even when they have no chance to win the title are the important things for getting people into the scene. More footage like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnH75DgxoV0#t=4m3s

When I first saw the famous footage of the Daigo vs Wong full parry, what gave me goosebumps was he sound of the crowd reacting to it. The roar during the ground parrying into the hella roar after the air parry into combo. I get the impression that a lot of people still think of video games as something you do with a small group of friends or hardcore gamers sitting in a dark room all by their self. They have no idea about the hype that goes on at tourneys. SF has always been about the community more than the games.

P.S. To stay somewhat on topic for the thread, I've watched and enjoyed every episode of the Dogface Show, and what I enjoy most is the fact that it highlights members of the scene in a way that people can appreciate who aren't hardcore SF players already, but also has enough in-jokes and references to keep the long time players interested. The recent show of the live interview with the Cannons at Evo really showed off how it ties in with what I said above. The crowd reacting to the questions adds an extra element. Someone watching who doesn't know the SF scene would realize when jokes are being made and might get curious about the names that get tossed around. "They all laughed when he said, 'Ricky Ortiz.' Who is that?" etc. Showing someone top level play of someone and telling them they're a good player doesn't work. Tricking them into thinking they're out of the loop does. Hahah.
"Man, you being proud of me got in the way, bitch!"
Maj

Post by Maj »

Hey man, you're preaching to the choir. I agree with absolutely everything you said. It's just (impossibly) difficult to get any of this done. It doesn't help that usually the people who try to organize these things have never edited a video, so they don't know how demanding it is, how long it takes, or how quickly it burns you out.

Personally i've gotten extremely hesitant to working on anything i can't do by myself because it's way too hard to find dependable people in this scene and it's scientifically impossible to find ones who don't get distracted. I think the right way to do this would be to assemble a team of five to ten editors and build up a huge library of content before even the first thing was released publicly. That's the only way to stay on schedule.

But there's just too much ego bullshit to deal with from every angle. In my experience, every time you ask someone for help it's tantamount to putting your friendship on the line. It's fucking stupid and i'm tired of it.
onReload

Post by onReload »

SlimX wrote:
When I first saw the famous footage of the Daigo vs Wong full parry, what gave me goosebumps was he sound of the crowd reacting to it. The roar during the ground parrying into the hella roar after the air parry into combo. I get the impression that a lot of people still think of video games as something you do with a small group of friends or hardcore gamers sitting in a dark room all by their self. They have no idea about the hype that goes on at tourneys. SF has always been about the community more than the games.
That crowd reaction is actually what made me ask what a parry was, how I could get the game, etc....I just suddenly became really interested in fighting games.
SlimX wrote: P.S. To stay somewhat on topic for the thread, I've watched and enjoyed every episode of the Dogface Show, and what I enjoy most is the fact that it highlights members of the scene in a way that people can appreciate who aren't hardcore SF players already, but also has enough in-jokes and references to keep the long time players interested. The recent show of the live interview with the Cannons at Evo really showed off how it ties in with what I said above. The crowd reacting to the questions adds an extra element. Someone watching who doesn't know the SF scene would realize when jokes are being made and might get curious about the names that get tossed around. "They all laughed when he said, 'Ricky Ortiz.' Who is that?" etc. Showing someone top level play of someone and telling them they're a good player doesn't work. Tricking them into thinking they're out of the loop does. Hahah.
Yeah, people will laugh if others do, and people will clap at even an invisible "APPLAUSE" sign. I thought a live audience worked really well here, but you can't get that many fighting game fans in one room all that often...and yeah I definitely agree you don't have to be a long time player to appreciate all this stuff, since I'm not a longtime player and still find this stuff funny just because it's fascinating seeing gamers under the spotlight, and watching Dogface do his thing - personality goes a long way, I watched so so many American 3s battles (and know who American 3s players are) simply because Rockefeller is hilarious...without him, I didn't care for the actual content, and in the beginning I didn't fully understand what I was watching.

Maj if you don't mind my asking, and I'm not looking to start an argument - what was the difference in direction you were talking about? Hope you're still friends with everybody.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Yeah man, i've known Vic since 2006 and i've been friends with omni and jchensor forever. That's not gonna change anytime soon.

The difference was that my goal was always to get the show on G4 or someplace similar or at least independently profitable. You know, something self-sustaining where it would pay for itself. Everyone else's goal was to have fun, which is a really cool short-term plan until you realize how much unfun work this requires.

Also i wanted to write articles and stuff on the website, but everyone else said "text is dead" and thought they could keep the website updated on schedule with video alone.

I dunno, i guess having an aimless website with videos on it wasn't novel enough for me. Been there, done that - more than once. I wanted something more but it wasn't my call so the last thing i wanted to do was to stick around and always disagree about how things should be handled.
onReload

Post by onReload »

Maj wrote:Yeah man, i've known Vic since 2006 and i've been friends with omni and jchensor forever. That's not gonna change anytime soon.

The difference was that my goal was always to get the show on G4 or someplace similar or at least independently profitable. You know, something self-sustaining where it would pay for itself. Everyone else's goal was to have fun, which is a really cool short-term plan until you realize how much unfun work this requires.

Also i wanted to write articles and stuff on the website, but everyone else said "text is dead" and thought they could keep the website updated on schedule with video alone.

I dunno, i guess having an aimless website with videos on it wasn't novel enough for me. Been there, done that - more than once. I wanted something more but it wasn't my call so the last thing i wanted to do was to stick around and always disagree about how things should be handled.
Yeah I was thinking the whole 'not heading towards proper monetary support' thing would be it. It is fun, and hope it does last even if it takes a lot of work. Glad to hear you're planning on still being friends and all, exiting the project professionally and all that - I had a really shitty experience leaving an amateur film production, and it was the last straw of a friendship - luckiliy it was as I left for school, so new people were on the horizon. These days I have to be more careful, I think.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Nah we're cool. Most of this stuff happened a couple of months ago. It's kind of annoying that they haven't made arrangements to take the website off my hands yet, but eh ... laggers. What are you gonna do?