Challenge 02: Show Ryu Can

what... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
Maj

Challenge 02: Show Ryu Can

Post by Maj »

In MvC2, put as many Ryu DP's as possible in one combo. For every DP after the second one, you get half a point, up to a maximum of two points.

This time you have to submit a clip because i've decided that text isn't as fun to watch. Feel free to discuss and collaborate though. If multiple people work together to submit an entry (for example, one person comes up with the idea and the other captures), the points will be divided equally amongst the participants.

Obviously, you can't xcopy someone else's idea. There's no deadline, but the longer you wait, the more ideas will get claimed so the harder it will be to come up with a new one.

Btw, don't blame me for the pun. It was 100% jchensor's idea.
desk

Post by desk »

maj you just gave me at least 30 minites of fun with that challenge. More of them please :) Now I know this combo is crap and it's probably against the rules to use assists in such a boring way but here's my attempt (3 srk's and 2 super one's that don't count)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzwi_iQOEl0

do I get bonus points for it being a 100% combo even though I really suck at marvel? lol

i look forward to everyone else's much better combo's
Maj

Post by Maj »

Haha that was tight! I like how the bubble kept rising after the first DP. You've earned half a point. No bonus for killing the poor girl, but from one person who really sucks at Marvel to another, mad props.

Just to clarify, this challenge has to stay within the limits of the default meter system. That means no infinite meter loops. Even though 8 levels were used in the above clip, the last 3 are totally ignored for the purposes of the challenge and it still qualifies.
ZenFire

Post by ZenFire »

He should get another 0.5 points for using a song from Azumanga Daioh.
desk

Post by desk »

yeah I didn't realise till after, that the super SRK actually uses 3 stocks :oops: but yeah, up untill the 3rd SRK it's legit. yay, 1/2 a point for me!
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

W/ 2 character bug you can get like 20 shoryukens... Does that count as legit?
Maj

Post by Maj »

Yeah i guess it counts. Post 20 Shoryukens, get two points. Though you still gotta make it look cool, cuz that's just a matter of pride.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Pride means nothing when we're dealing with fake points
Maj

Post by Maj »

Pride is pride regardless. Especially when you filter out every other prize. Everyone sets their own standards for themselves which supersede everyone else's requirements or expectations.
Mike Z

Post by Mike Z »

Better late than never. I can't believe I didn't remember about this for the Shockwave one.
- Obeys meter requirements.
- Uses no 2-player setups (2char glitch, etc) so it could be done in an actual match provided your opponent was the right character.
- As recorded, would be worth approximately 499 points if there were no cap of 2. Hehe.

http://www.evilslash.com/sh/sho_ryu_can.avi

Video quality would be better except that TBBB is holding my cap card hostage. And yes, I did actually do them all as DPs. I took breaks. :^)
Mike Z
Maj

Post by Maj »

Haha tight. Well that certainly qualifies. I've added two points to your score and now you're the winner with twice as many points as your competition. Let's see if Vega Omega can answer.

Also i guess i should give some arbitrary points for Evo stuff but i'll figure that out when i'm less helluva tired.
Vega Omega

Post by Vega Omega »

Does this count!? :lol: I'm just about to leave for the weekend, but this is what I got for now.

http://www.zachd.com/magnetro/ryuken.avi
Mike Z

Post by Mike Z »

I say it counts only if we're letting Deric Bogus sign up. (^.^)

Mike Z
Maj

Post by Maj »

Yeah, i'm torn as to whether or not it should count. Magnetro, what do you think?
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Maj wrote:Yeah, i'm torn as to whether or not it should count. Magnetro, what do you think?
Dont count mikez's and vo's. They're both doing it deric bogus style if you ask me. So far I think the only person that should be allowed is desk.
desk

Post by desk »

yes! I'm winning! :lol:
Maj

Post by Maj »

Oh snap. Magnetro bringing the heat right to Mike Z's doorstep. I think you two should breakdance fight.
Mike Z

Post by Mike Z »

VO has a PPad so I'm willing to bet he didn't do 1000 DPs by hand. That has to be worth 2 points. (^.~)

Freezing the point in place in hitstun and comboing him =/= freezing the point in place in hitstun offscreen then hitting someone else that doesn't combo. If that counts, then snapout/DP the assist 1000x counts, cuz it's the exact same situation, and that's usually dismissed as 'not a combo' in MvC2.

How about the "it's MvC2" route: Maybe it does count, and Maj should have defined 'combo' beforehand? Haha.

Mike Z - I would have done those since they're easy, but I figured they weren't legit. Maj was right about self-imposed standards.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

I don't care.

I'm just saying both of those clips are incredibly cheezy and stupid. Desk's was the only good one. So for what this place IS, those suck.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Yeah i'm hoping Vega Omega will do something cooler. If not, i'll give him one point or something. I mean, it's kinda amusing, but it's not cool. Plus i did say it had to be a combo, and although it shows up on the numerical counter, i'm pretty sure we can all agree that it's not really a combo.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Come on, there's gotta be a million ways to get this done. How about using Ruby Heart's ghost army super? Or maybe even War Machine missle launch super? DHC into Ryu super FB and smack him out of it with a jab, then he's free to uppercut the opponent into the remnants of hella pirate ghosts and rockets.
Mike Z

Post by Mike Z »

The Jab DP takes a very long time to recover. Getting 3 or more, even with Sabretooth's super Birdie standing around firing for 5 sec, wasn't happening for me. Super ghosts don't combo into each other always and there's no real way of keeping them down in the ghosts. Missiles go up and come down within the span of 1 DP. :^)

Basically, each assist (no super meter) gets you one extra with the next one knocking them to the moon, and each level of Super gets you one extra (Sabretooth->Ryu = 2 DPs for 2 levels, 3rd being sky high). I did notice Akuma's hurricane assist can be used to get 2 with 3rd sky high, but he doesn't have anything fast enough to DHC to and tag Ryu back in later on in the combo except the SGS, which costs 3 levels.

With the 2char glitch you can do easy loops like [DP/Hypergrav]xN, which can actually go to 999 due to doing no stun, but those are also 'dumb' for this forum. You could also do more complicated stuff, but it all boils down to having multiple assists so you can do the same setup more than once (or even different setups).
Mike Z
Vega Omega

Post by Vega Omega »

well my other idea flopped, so i'm just giong to call it quits on this. if you want to give me 1 or 1/2 pt. thats up to you.
Maj

Post by Maj »

So, what's going on here? How many points should i give Vega Omega's entry? Cuz i have another challenge in mind but i'd like to resolve this one before moving on.

Is there anything that Mech Zangief can do to escape Mike Z's "combo"? I'm assuming that Omega Red can block Vega Omega's version.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Maj wanted me to post about this. My honest opinion on this matter is both mikez and vo's clips were bad by sh standards and should get 1 pt or 0 pt each. So far the real winner is Desk ... IIRC he doesn't even play marvel.

maj asked me on AIM about the two clips.

zangief cant do anything to get out, and Omega Red can just block it.

Happy Maj?
Maj

Post by Maj »

Hahahaha, i can't believe how much work that took. Ok, so, with that information, i'd say that Mike Z's clip is a lot closer to being an actual combo than Vega Omega's clip. Cuz the whole basic definition of a combo is that once the first hit connects, the rest of the sequence is essentially inescapable. Maybe i should have clarified this in the very beginning but it's really not that big of an issue cuz the points are fake anyway.

So i'm gonna give Vega Omega one point for actually getting 999 DP's to show up on the counter, but it's not a true combo so i can't give full credit. As for Magnetro's burning hatred (aka opinion) regarding Mike Z's combo ... Man, these points are fake anyway. I ain't going to take away someone's fake points.

Or if i do, i'm gonna do it to make a statement or to start some drama of the "oh snap!" variety. Watch out!
desk

Post by desk »

I actually tried this again yesterday. I had a few ideas and they came so close to working. One involved doing thanos' infinite for ages to build meter for a big DHC loop (unfotunately it needed 6 stocks, so it didn't work). And the other involved 2 thanos assists, which did work but I haven't worked out a way to seperate them far enough to allow 2 dp's before the second one hits. I can see the last one working but without a program pad it's pretty unlikely.

oh yeah and where are my points? :?
Maj

Post by Maj »

Haha, wow, i'm dumb. The original plan must have been to wait until everyone was done, but all the confusion confused me. Ok, i'll go add it to your score. I think i said you were gonna get half a point, but since you made the only legit combo in the whole thread, i'm just gonna make it one point.
Magnetro

Re: Challenge 02: Show Ryu Can

Post by Magnetro »

not big enough to make a whole thread but, massive points to whomever can figure out how to get (mvc2) ryu's shin sho to hit for the first and 3rd (but not second hit). w/o using assists (on either side). the super doesn't have to combo
Maj

Re: Challenge 02: Show Ryu Can

Post by Maj »