SSF4:AE Combo Engine Investigation

talk about how great training mode is
jamheald

Re: SSF4:AE Combo Engine Investigation

Post by jamheald »

his1nightmare wrote:The shadows never affect neither of Yang's Ultras, his Super has no effect on them unlike Yun's.
Why exactly the hits seems to hit quicker I can't answer, probably just a visual placebo; but definitely I can say that the afterimages don't have infinite juggle potential, they have exactly the same juggle-features as Yang himself. I.e., if you land c.s.MK with Seiei Enbu on, your kick and the one of the first shadow will connect, taking away the possibility to land one more c.s.mk until the opponent has touched the ground again.
But Yang evidently has infinite juggle potential on U2 so therefor the shadows should, no?
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

A lot of things become faster during Seiei Enbu, Target combo 3, for example.
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
jamheald

Post by jamheald »

Doopliss wrote:A lot of things become faster during Seiei Enbu, Target combo 3, for example.
Ahh, so that explains the animation. I can see that the shadows would be given no juggle potential on that ultra purely from a balance stand point. Thanks for the answers guys.
Pokey86

Post by Pokey86 »

jamheald wrote:
Doopliss wrote:A lot of things become faster during Seiei Enbu, Target combo 3, for example.
Ahh, so that explains the animation. I can see that the shadows would be given no juggle potential on that ultra purely from a balance stand point. Thanks for the answers guys.

i can't see why them with JP would effect balance on the Ultra, i'd presume, they'd make the Ultra whiff in its tame version or the after-images would screw up the hits. This idea is supported by the fact that the ultra is faster, so the enemy rises quicker, meaning the after-images are out of range to hit. (As well as giving the player more time to utilize the super after the Ultra has hit, as it ends quicker.)

I personally believe the the images are JPX on the Ultra
jamheald

Post by jamheald »

Pokey86 wrote:
jamheald wrote:

i can't see why them with JP would effect balance on the Ultra, i'd presume, they'd make the Ultra whiff in its tame version or the after-images would screw up the hits. This idea is supported by the fact that the ultra is faster, so the enemy rises quicker, meaning the after-images are out of range to hit. (As well as giving the player more time to utilize the super after the Ultra has hit, as it ends quicker.)

I personally believe the the images are JPX on the Ultra
I only mean to say that the JP being infinite on the shadows would mean the ultras second animation would do at least twice as much damage (I'm assuming that some of the shadow hits would whiff.) But I don't think that the after images would be out of range to hit for the whole ultra, particularly the last hit. I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to test whether the shadows on that ultra hit at all.
his1nightmare

Post by his1nightmare »

@ Doopliss

Oh Capcom, I had some nice matches vs a nice player and wanted to record some rounds/clips.
Then I admitted that the game slows down while recording, which is NOT the case when you set the framerate to solid... so I checked the options, and it's, indeed, set to solid. I went like wtf.
So I set it to smooth and back to solid, the problem was fixed, and now the U2 setup somewhat works, so you were basically right, while being somewhat not completely right, while being still truely right.

God, I often wonder about what's the thing Capcom starts with when programming new games, the bugs, or -anything- else?
I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to test whether the shadows on that ultra hit at all.
I tested it, the afterimages don't hit at all while repeating the U2-animation. U1 I didn't look for, but everyone's surely knowing already now that the result will be the same.

How I tested it: I activated the Super, performed U2 on a blocking opponent in the corner and as early as Yang was in the air I released blocking and jumped after him, at least one of the shadows should've landed a hit before Yang, which was not the case.
Last edited by his1nightmare on Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamheald

Post by jamheald »

his1nightmare wrote:I tested it, the afterimages don't hit at all while repeating the U2-animation. U1 I didn't look for, but everyone's surely knowing already now that the result will be the same.
Nice, I like to think about the build where they hit and that ultra took off like 600 damage with it's second animation during super.
Smileymike101

Post by Smileymike101 »

Crouch jab pushes you less further away from your opponent than standing jab, so it's your best bet.From upmost close range, the ultra starts in 4 frames, so the timing is very easy with crouching jab.Mantis slash x2 xx Fadc ~ cr.jab ~ ultra 2 should be the best solution if you are not consistent with just fadc ultra.
jamheald

Post by jamheald »

Smileymike101 wrote:Crouch jab pushes you less further away from your opponent than standing jab, so it's your best bet.From upmost close range, the ultra starts in 4 frames, so the timing is very easy with crouching jab.Mantis slash x2 xx Fadc ~ cr.jab ~ ultra 2 should be the best solution if you are not consistent with just fadc ultra.
That seems like a strange option, since cr.lp ultra is at best a 3 frame link, while FADC ultra is a 7 frame link, I guess the input for FADC straight to ultra is harder though.
onReload

Post by onReload »

I know Error already did, but if anyone can find other goofy glitches with Smooth PC AE, now's the time to capture them, as a patch is on the way
Pokey86

Post by Pokey86 »

Some of you may be aware of this but it's worth mentioning here.

In AE, as Seths stomps are limitted, you can do a stomp that whiffs & proceed with a wall jump if you're heading towardsa wall. However, generaly a Neutral jump cannot be wall jumped, but if you're in the corner & you perform a stomp during a neutral jump, you can then wall jump.

It probably has no real application, but worth mentioning.
onReload

Post by onReload »

So yeah, error did some data mining and stuff, got Boss characters to be playable in AE/PC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-Z4byMpoUM

Here's just a bit I did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3Z_LoTA-s4

Boss Oni can juggle into his Raging Demon. Uh.
CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

I really want to see more of this >_< the boss characters are ridiculous.
onReload

Post by onReload »

Boss Akuma is fairly tame, E.Ryu's main awesome gimmick is that he can cancel his teleport with 90+% of his moves...Gouken and Oni are the most interesting IMO.
error1

Post by error1 »

me and onreload did a few matches and eryu may be the strongest for actual play
Turns out being invincible 90% of the time is really good and teleport into throw is just crazy
boss eryu and akuma's have really fast U2, akuma's is 4 frames and ryu is 5 frames, encodeing a quick vid of it

edit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vOPRE1jCCQ
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Yes, Shin E.Ryu looks really broken. Can you do stuff like c.MP xx Teleport xx s.HP xx MP Stomp, repeat?

error1

Post by error1 »

no c.mp teleport makes you lose ground, it gives you 10 less frame advantage then cl.mp
also you can't teleport in to cl.hp or c.hp, he always does far hp after a teleport.
You can do s.HP xx MP Stomp, c.MP, lk.tatsu, U2
or s.HP xx Teleport xx c.MP xx U2
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

I see.

onReload

Post by onReload »

error1 wrote:no c.mp teleport makes you lose ground, it gives you 10 less frame advantage then cl.mp
also you can't teleport in to cl.hp or c.hp, he always does far hp after a teleport.
You can do s.HP xx MP Stomp, c.MP, lk.tatsu, U2
or s.HP xx Teleport xx c.MP xx U2
It's probably a bit far off, but maybe there's a nice meaty setup for a not-normally-far normal there (far HP)

edit: Hey Doopliss, I was messing around with that strange uncombo you found with T.Hawk (Lvl. 3 Focus, dash, late U2)...if you set it to counterhit ON in training mode, both the focus and the ultra count as counterhits and are, of course, separate attacks. Huge damage (678 or so damage without lifebar scaling; vs. Seth it was like 665.), but I have to wonder if it works like that in VS. mode; since the dummy can't do anything during the crumple, the U2 should also reregister a counterhit in VS. mode, but you never know.
Mienaikage

Post by Mienaikage »

Came across this video today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KClWtw3LtQA

T.Hawk does two command grabs that do 0 damage, I can't think of any reason why...
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

He's probably playing with the "smooth" setting on.

error1

Post by error1 »

Yeah I've heard that very thing will happen with smooth
Pokey86

Post by Pokey86 »

Aww Dammit. Doopliss, you were right, Oni's HK Overhead doesn't have JP, it's actually two hits of JP0 (The last hit might have JP, but i'm unsure)

I gotta double check it, just to be sure... I coulda sworn i hit it. Ah well.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Yeah, I tried with it a lot before, couldn't get it to work either. Maybe you did MK by mistake or something?

Pokey86

Post by Pokey86 »

Whats the record for Seths stomp combos? I've managed to pull one off with 11 stomps. Gotta record it. I wisht there was a way to record in HD (Or record in SD while playing in HD ideally)
error1

Post by error1 »

I have a combo that could do 11 if it was done in the corner, I think that might be the max
Pokey86

Post by Pokey86 »

error1 wrote:I have a combo that could do 11 if it was done in the corner, I think that might be the max

This one ends in the corner, but starts mid screen. No dizzy either.

But god damn it, i can't do it in SD... Hell i'd be surprised if i do it again in HD... the spacing is so gay for the second portion to hit... & stomp timing is annoyingly difficult.

Hell, anyone want to give it a go, be my guest. I'm not gonna attemtp it anymore.

To set up, get Balrog in corner jump over him, do Suction -> MP -> MK Legs wait for everyone to stop omving then teleport behind him.

Level 1 Focus (Counter) -> Back Dash -> Stomp -> Early MP (should hit late) -> Stomp -> Stomp -> Stomp -> Whiff Dive Kick -> EX Tandem

Should end with Seth sucking Balrog in at exactly 2 full squares away from corner

Crouch HP -> LP Sonic Boom -> Jump forward Stomp (Has to be immediate) -> Stomp -> Very short pause -> Stomp -> Dive Kick (This needs to miss) -> EX Tanden

Then whatever you want to do to stomp... i did

MP -> Crouch LP -> LP SRK -> Stomps
error1

Post by error1 »

that's a good combo, that's only 10 tho right? I thought you did stomp, stomp, whiff dive kick stompx3 at the end in the corner, forgot you can get one at the start like that
Pokey86

Post by Pokey86 »

error1 wrote:that's a good combo, that's only 10 tho right? I thought you did stomp, stomp, whiff dive kick stompx3 at the end in the corner, forgot you can get one at the start like that
Nah, it's 11

1 Stomp -> 3 Stomps -> 3 Stomps -> 4 Stomps
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Are you counting the last dive kick as a stomp? >.<