How Much Tool-Assistance Was Used in this Video?

video previews, releases, and feedback
wolverine-master

Re: How Much Tool-Assistance Was Used in this Video?

Post by wolverine-master »

Whats the difference between hexing and macro lua'ing?
Does one have more of an advantage than the other?
When making a tool assisted combo video, does starting with a full super bar count as cheating?
Tigre III

Post by Tigre III »

error1 wrote:XVI32 is my go to hex editor
so when you open up a file it just give you a section on the left with the hex information and a section of the right with the same stuff as a text file
the hex is broken up into pairs that represent bytes, ie FF = 255 = the largest number you can store in eight bits
idk what the kawaks format is like but all formats that I've looked at are similar
basically you have the header at the top with info like number of frames, rerecords, name, etc
then for each frame you have some set of bytes that represent it, it's going to be different for every emulator so you have to know what your looking for
this is what you would need to know to understand a fba movie file in hex, but fba is a hard format to hex beacuse the keys are different for every game
Mmm I think that Combonauts will never use hex... but not because i dont like it... Because im sure that I will never be able to understand how it works! :?

About the super bar... What do you mean? Using trainers? I think that if the trainer is used only for super bars ( I mean for comfort, charge the bars always is boring) its ok. But another things like save states in the middle of a combo, for example, could count as "cheating" (well, not really, only is one type of TAS i guess...)
CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

Filling the super bar isn't cheating. Filling the stun bar in SF3 is cheating because it's generally impossible without landing a hit, which is why KYSG put the "training mode only" warning on everything that starts with a full stun bar. Full super bar is impractical (in some games) but still legit, usually.

Also as mentioned before, with fba-rr, mame-rr, frame advance and macrolua, there's no need to get into hexing at this point.
error1

Post by error1 »

wolverine-master wrote:Whats the difference between hexing and macro lua'ing?
macro lua you have an easy to read txt file with commands that it can play back in a lua supported emulator.
with hexing you edit a emulator movie file a byte at a time until you get the desired result.
Mmm I think that Combonauts will never use hex... but not because i dont like it... Because im sure that I will never be able to understand how it works!
as I said earlier, hex editing is completely pointless with all the easier to use tools that are available now