Got any Questions about SFA, A2, Z2A, A3, A3U, or HSFA?

talk about how great training mode is
phoenix

Re: Got any Questions about SFA, A2, Z2A, A3, A3U, or HSFA?

Post by phoenix »

So to test the hitstuns I calculated I decided to go check out if I can get combos to work that frame data predicts.

Rose's cr.mp is startup: 4, active: 7 recovery: 6. It's a medium attack so does 19 frames of hitstun. If you hit on first frame, there's 12 frames of the move afterward 19=12=+7. So the move is +7 on hit. Therefore cr.mp should easily link into itself (a 3 frame link).

Turns out, it isn't easy to link at all! With the macrolua script I tried to do the combo, and it only works on one specific frame, it's a 1 frame link. What is going on here?

Turns out after every move after the move has "recovered" the player is in 2 frames of additional recovery. After crouch attacks it's the crouch animation, after standing attacks it's the standing animation.

This 'state' cannot be canceled in any way it seems, so it's effectively 2 frames of additional recovery for every single move.

Odd huh? It seems like they wanted to avoid easy links at all costs.
onReload

Post by onReload »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p_pAQU-pzU

first thing i found when searching for "alpha 3 max combos", since 'zero 3 upper combos' returned nothing. is much of this stuff possible in regular A3? and as for the CvS2 imports, how much different are they?
Keiko

Post by Keiko »

Yes, and the vast mayority of the combos showcased in the video are techable.
It's a shame that nobody make a video showing some Maki/Eagle/Yun/Ingrid VC's, they have some substantial and interesting stuff to make a movie with it.
And you gotta love Yun Throw OTG's...they just look very cool.
「切ない想いを受け止めて」
SFZ2 Blog
Maj

Post by Maj »

I have that game but i don't have a PSP : (

Isn't it supposed to have some weird tag-team mode or something?
Keiko

Post by Keiko »

I play the game a lot when my best friend borrow me his PSP, and yes, the game have this "new" Dramatic Battle that i never played it.
「切ない想いを受け止めて」
SFZ2 Blog
onReload

Post by onReload »

Yeah and while GameFAQs has a bit about ISM-Pluses (like air chains, more guard damage, etc) that you get from certain World Tour objectives, there seems to be some I-Ism or something? Is it basically like EX Groove, where you unlock the groove, and then you unlock the individual modifiers?

Really wish they would put this on PS2 already...I still haven't tried World Tour! Also, I got the Naomi Bios and subsequently Zero 3 Upper to run on my MAME Plus and uh...yeah, it's quite laggy. I think I played one match and it took 6 minutes. Also, took me awhile to realize that Guile only has Sonic Hurricane and Somersault Strike...Total Wipeout woulda helped quite a bit IMO
Keiko

Post by Keiko »

In the world tour mode (featured in PSX port only and MAX) you can level up your character throught different missions and unlock new ISM features like Chain Combos, Super Cancels, infinite guard gauge etc etc etc, it's pretty funny.
If you wanna play Z3 Upper i suggest you to use Makaron Naomi emulator, it works perfect, Mame sucks.
「切ない想いを受け止めて」
SFZ2 Blog
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Any reason why Rose's j.HP during soul illusion can do more than 1 hit in SFA:WD? I did j.HP x2, s.HP for 17 hits...
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
Maj

Post by Maj »

That game's got all kinds of random behavior during simultaneous hits. I don't think it's ever been explained beyond that. I've seen zerokoubou do that with Bison though.
error1

Post by error1 »

I noticed it when I did this combo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XoFVuujEqU#t=4m19s
if you notice the j.hp after the first dizzy does 6 hits instead of the normal 3, and that's just the shadows hitting
I don't think it's a simultaneous hits thing tho because I don't think simultaneous hits can increment the combo counter in sfa
the j.hp after the second dizzy only registers 2 hits because they connect during super freeze
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Btw, I just realized that Ken can do kara Hadokens in SFA:WD by pressing "QCF, neutral, MK~P".
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
error1

Post by error1 »

in the sfa games you get meter for whiffing normal moves and so kara canceling gives you more meter, so you should basically always kara cancel raw special moves when you can, it's hard with Sagat tho.
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

Is Cody Lvl3 super (where he does like a heap of light punches), is that a "poke" at their own game being Final Fight in how to do the infinite? Was that intended or coincidence?
error1

Post by error1 »

it's an intended reference
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

Ah nice, i only just realised that haha.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Cody has that super in A3 too.
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

Rufus wrote:Cody has that super in A3 too.
Thats the game i was referring to.....Not sure what other game he is in that does it.
Maj

Post by Maj »

From SSF4:AE2012 Combo Engine Investigation ...
onReload wrote:
Maj wrote: Nobody uses ShinSho in SFA3. It's there for flavor, like Alex's Spiral DDT.
IT AIN'T FLAVOR

but on a serious note, what about Fei Long's super in A3, the one that also only does good damage from precise spacing?
That's useless in matches too. Don't get me wrong, i think both Ryu's ShinSho and Fei Long's crazy kung fu super are awesome additions to SFA3. I can even tell you how to land Ryu's full-damage ShinSho semi-consistently: meaty c.MP, c.MK xx ShinSho works against most of the cast from point blank range. But it's still foolish to use that instead of his other two supers.

Also you won't find much in terms of seasoned info about Fei Long in SFA3. That game belongs to Japan, and they don't have a console scene so nobody can tell you anything definitive about the console-exclusive characters - aside from "Yo i heard Dee Jay is hella good in this game!"
onReload

Post by onReload »

I'm sure that guy who does crazy HSFZ videos will have some super obscure findings about it some day on youtube. How do you land the meaty cr.MP with Ryu, anyway - off a wakeup?
Pokey86

Re: SSF4:AE2012 Combo Engine Investigation

Post by Pokey86 »

Maj wrote:You couldn't cancel lvl2 supers in Alpha 3. That's only possible in CvS2 and only in C-Groove, and it's one of the unique features of that groove. You can definitely get more damage out of a lvl2 cancel than a lvl3, so it's very useful. But lvl3 supers provide a lot more startup invincibility, and some of the best supers in the game are lvl3 only - like Sonic Hurricane, Gigaton Punch, and Raging Demon.

C-Groove charges meter pretty quickly so being able to get lvl3 damage out of lvl2 meter is one of its strengths, but K-Groove still gets like two lvl3's per round compared to 3-4 levels for C-Groove, so it balances out. In terms of groove rankings, A-Groove is the best - but then K and C are tied for second and not too far behind.

My Street fighter alpha 3 on the PSX definatelly let you cancel out of Level 2's. I specifically remember discovering it. (among my group of friends) that was after i souped up my shin Akuma via world tour then proceeded to beast my friends with SRK's cancelled in to Air Super.

If i recall, were you unable to hold up to get out of Shin-Akumas Shun-Goku-Satsu?

---

Also chear reload for clarifying those points, & yeah i forgot about Fei's one. It's only recently i learnt how to genuinely pay fighters, it wasn't a year ago i genuinely thought things like "What's the point in having a MP/MK"
Keiko

Post by Keiko »

Pokey86 wrote:
Maj wrote:You couldn't cancel lvl2 supers in Alpha 3. That's only possible in CvS2 and only in C-Groove, and it's one of the unique features of that groove. You can definitely get more damage out of a lvl2 cancel than a lvl3, so it's very useful. But lvl3 supers provide a lot more startup invincibility, and some of the best supers in the game are lvl3 only - like Sonic Hurricane, Gigaton Punch, and Raging Demon.

C-Groove charges meter pretty quickly so being able to get lvl3 damage out of lvl2 meter is one of its strengths, but K-Groove still gets like two lvl3's per round compared to 3-4 levels for C-Groove, so it balances out. In terms of groove rankings, A-Groove is the best - but then K and C are tied for second and not too far behind.

My Street fighter alpha 3 on the PSX definatelly let you cancel out of Level 2's. I specifically remember discovering it. (among my group of friends) that was after i souped up my shin Akuma via world tour then proceeded to beast my friends with SRK's cancelled in to Air Super.

If i recall, were you unable to hold up to get out of Shin-Akumas Shun-Goku-Satsu?

---

Also chear reload for clarifying those points, & yeah i forgot about Fei's one. It's only recently i learnt how to genuinely pay fighters, it wasn't a year ago i genuinely thought things like "What's the point in having a MP/MK"
No you can't cancels LVL 2 Supers in PSX A3, that's a unique feature for customized characters in World Tour mode only, but you can't do that with the "default" game characters, only with your leveled up WT chara.
Also you can have Chain combos, automatic meter regeneration, unlimited guard gauge, damage and defense bonus etc etc etc.
「切ない想いを受け止めて」
SFZ2 Blog
Pokey86

Post by Pokey86 »

i don't know, i;m almost posotive i did it with scratch characters. (None of those "buff your character" slots filled

I'll have a go on it tonight.
Ultima

Post by Ultima »

What's this about being able to cancel L2 supers in Alpha 3? I'm pretty sure that's not possible, even in World Tour mode. I played a lot of World Tour and remember the general options, and cancelling a L2 super, specifically, isn't one of them.

On a different and random note, I was looking through my All About SF Zero 3 and saw something that I was sure was a mistake, but then I fired up Final Burn and it turned out to be correct: With one exception, All of Zangief's attacks inflict 0 stun damage. Only the Headbutt (U+MP/HP in air) inflicts stun damage (and of course, it inflicts massive stun damage). I never noticed this and I have never come across this bit of info anywhere on the net. Did everyone else know this and I'm just of the loop? If so, please disregard.
error1

Post by error1 »

I knew about it, but only beacuse Dammit has wrote about it here
http://dammit.typepad.com/blog/2010/12/ ... oject.html
Pokey86

Post by Pokey86 »

I have a question

I used to play SFA3 with friends a long way back, just casually, none of us were very good.

---

Anyway i recall Gen had these Supers

Hands Move - A timer appears on the opponent & if they don't score a hit against gen in that time they get dizzies

Ryukoha - Anti Air

Zan'ei - Cool looking

And he had another, which pretty much wasn't a combo. he just jumped around doing loads of oga's all over the place

---

Did that move have real game application? I never played this game very competetively, but i recall wondering why the hell he had this move.
error1

Post by error1 »

It's an air super, You can use it to punish people who try to anti air you or after an air recovery.
Pokey86

Post by Pokey86 »

error1 wrote:It's an air super, You can use it to punish people who try to anti air you or after an air recovery.

Would it be worth it? it doesn't combo right?
onReload

Post by onReload »

The idea is that you can press different buttons to make different type of kicks happen, so it's a guessing game for your opponent.

[shrug]
Maj

Post by Maj »

James Chen used to call that thing Minimum Gen. It was always pretty bad. Good players only use the lvl1 version, mainly to apologize for jumping when they shouldn't have. It has a lot of air-to-ground priority, probably because it has good hitboxes or something. Here's an example of someone trying to be clever with it. There's more garbage tech in the third round if you're interested.
onReload

Post by onReload »

I love that whiff hopkick -> Level 3 Tatsu super that Ryu does