General Sports Discussion

stay up to date on what's going on
Maj

Re: Hey Maj, let's talk about the World Cup

Post by Maj »

Crazy.

So what do you guys think of the line that the World Cup is the best soccer tournament, but the Champions League is where you go to watch the best soccer being played? Because obviously Barcelona, Inter, Manchester United, Chelsea, Madrid, etc. are all broken as fuck, but in any given World Cup year i think there are at least two national sides that could take the top two Champions League finalists.

People bring up chemistry but i've seen nothing from European club soccer to suggest that those people even like each other. Seems like nonstop drama, scandals, feuding, and transfer requests for ridiculous amounts of money anytime anyone plays three consecutive good (or bad) games.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Maj wrote: So what do you guys think of the line that the World Cup is the best soccer tournament, but the Champions League is where you go to watch the best soccer being played? Because obviously Barcelona, Inter, Manchester United, Chelsea, Madrid, etc. are all broken as fuck, but in any given World Cup year i think there are at least two national sides that could take the top two Champions League finalists.
Dunno I only watch every 4 years. The world cup features a lot of mismatches and upsets which is interesting. I would guess that the Champions League tends to be more even until the World Cup gets into the later rounds. The club teams are generally more accustomed to playing together.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Yeah. I was totally expecting a different out come between Japan & Cameroon.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Brazil played alright against North Korea. Not sure how i feel about that goal at the end but it was certainly a nice one. Must have been a culture shock for both sides overall. The announcers were trying to avoid political commentary but 90 minutes is a long time. I wonder if that bizarre comment about North Korea hiring Chinese actors to dress up as North Korean supporters was true.
Maj

Re: Hey James let's talk about the Lakers

Post by Maj »

Game time! Get 'em get 'em.
Maj

Post by Maj »

In the words of MvC3, "Dude! Sweet!"

P.S. Those five "comedians" put together haven't managed to come up with one funny joke yet. Seriously, those clowns are like 0-for-60 right now.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Whoa.

Didn't hear none of that in the spanish speaking version. It was just about how the North Koreans were wearing clothes made by a company in N. Korea. How everyone else in the world cup are wearing attire from companies that everyone knows of etc. I liked the game, Robinho got his kicks stopped a lot. Overall it was pretty cool.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Game 7 - get hype. I'll got to your house to watch it with you, Maj. lol Then i can try beating iron man 2
Maj

Post by Maj »

Haha i don't even know where i'm gonna be for Game 7. Might try to find a bar or someplace where i can get involved in an unruly mob incident and wind up on the news.

It's crazy but the night of the Game 5 loss, i was driving to the store to buy some soda or whatever, and there was a cop car parked behind another car and they were all standing outside in typical "cops harassing hooligans" formation. Then on the way back home, another cop car cut across an intersection right in front of me with sirens blaring. When i got past that, another cop car busted a u-turn in front of me and headed the other way. Then a couple of blocks down there was some dude walking to in-n-out wearing a Kobe jersey looking sour like he really wasn't gonna enjoy the burger he was about to buy.

So yeah ... I'm sure somewhere there's statistical proof documenting that Lakers playoff losses = anger + gambling losses = brief rise in crime rate.

On the flipside, when we won Game 5 against OKC, you could literally feel the City of Los Angeles breathe out a collective sigh of relief.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Btw i deleted that Iron Man 2 demo. It was awful. How the hell does anyone manage to fuck up an Iron Man game? Twice!!

He's made to be a video game character. He does everything you want to do in a video game. He's got tons of pre-written story. Hell, you don't even have to make a real video game. Just let me fly fast, give me a whole bunch of stuff to blow up, and don't give me any annoying objectives like protecting some dumbass AI character from enemy fire. That's all they needed to do to bait me into buying the game. And they went 0-for-3.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Now that we've seen all of the teams, not the most promising of openings. Comparisons to Italia '90 would be unfair - to Italia '90 - at this point.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Go USA!
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

interesting result with the favorites spain losing 1-0. First 15mins swiss didnt even touch the ball and i thought its only a matter of time before spain score. I laughed when the game ended and players were kicking shit around when going dressing room.

Unfortunate for south africa to go down. This game just showed their strength which is low compared to others, but I hope the bounce back in their last game (doubt it against france)

And i wanted ivory coast to beat port. Fuck ronaldo and fucking danny is shit!
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Dark_Chaotix wrote:Unfortunate for south africa to go down. This game just showed their strength which is low compared to others, but I hope the bounce back in their last game (doubt it against france)
France without Zinedane Zindane or Michelle Platini doesn't seem to be very threatening. They could easily repeat their performance of 2002. SA really wants to see a 0-0 draw in the France/Mexico game though.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Yep. They just lost to MX. As a mexican, i'm waiting for usa to play tomorrow.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Not looking good for South Africa. Nigeria's out too. Cameroon and Algeria both have a loss. Basically it's down to Ghana and Ivory Coast. I'm not a big fan of Drogba because i wasn't a fan of pre-Ancelotti Chelsea but i hope Ivory Coast makes it through over Portugal.
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

Lets not talk about Les Bleu's. Sad DC is sad.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

So where are you gonna be for the final game? I'm probably gonna be asleep cause I haven't slept well in like 2 and half days. Hope you don't get caught up in a riot (again?).

Also, lol @ E3 being across the street from the Staples Center. Downtown LA has to be the #1 spot in California to avoid right now.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Rumor has it MvC3 isn't panning out very well, either.
Looks like Jolly Ranchers & Baskin's Sherbet.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

No one knows how to riot better than soccer fans

But right next to them is the mvc2 community, they should join forces and burn down la (again) when the lakers lose. (jk maj & james, dont ban me ^_^~!)
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Maj wrote:Not looking good for South Africa. Nigeria's out too. Cameroon and Algeria both have a loss. Basically it's down to Ghana and Ivory Coast. I'm not a big fan of Drogba because i wasn't a fan of pre-Ancelotti Chelsea but i hope Ivory Coast makes it through over Portugal.
I expect that Argentina will beat Greece - especially with Maradonna as the coach, so if Nigeria wins, they'll go through on goal differential.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

What is this I hear about Maradonna having a huge ego?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Magnetro wrote:What is this I hear about Maradonna having a huge ego?
Something about the infamous 'hand of god' goal?
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Right. Im wondering if he thinks he's able to do _____ cause he got away with the Hand of God goal. Or if it's something else altogether.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Pretty weird first half. 4th quarter is really getting interesting right now. Gasol is getting hype.

but yeah, first half was weird, terrible offense and the refs didnt call fouls.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Magnetro wrote:Right. Im wondering if he thinks he's able to do _____ cause he got away with the Hand of God goal. Or if it's something else altogether.
Nah, he basically copped to it fully later. I think he's a strange little man for his own reasons.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

vujacic being brought in to free throw was dope.

Congrats to them. Cars honking outside my window & Fireworks too. Get hyphy.

lolololololololol ron artest
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

oh god magic johnson did it too.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

So he's probably feeling himself for getting away with that then.

ANyway, America vs Slovenia tomorrow -- Maj: notice how in the laker final Sasha Vujacic was brought in just to shoot a couple of pivotal free throws, he is from Slovenia. America will crush his native land.
Don Vecta

Post by Don Vecta »

ladies and gentlemen: Mexico 2 - France 0.

Eat ur heart out, infidels!!