The Monkey "C" Monkey Do Thread

talk about how great training mode is
obot64

The Monkey "C" Monkey Do Thread

Post by obot64 »

Guys, I haven't posted at all this year! But I have not forgotten about everyone.

Last year I captured two vids with the intention of releasing them here, the idea was to kick off the “monkey see money do thread.” The idea is to produce and reproduce odd & or interesting in game situations, record them and then break down how they were done.

I figured this would be a cool thing to do, sine most of the people here all have capture cards, and access to hosting (youtube and the likes).

The primary objective: of this idea is to educate current and potential video makers who may be stuck in one particular game (like I am in CvS2), and allow them a fun and easy way to learn about various video games systems and nuances by attempting reproduce interesting glitches, and tricks in games outside of their nitch)

The two videos I have already done can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=obot64
Majestros = Combo Motivation

Can I get an Ode to the air throw?
Maj

Post by Maj »

That's actually kind of a cool idea. At first i didn't see the difference between this and the challenges that we have started running. But i guess this is more of a beginner-friendly learning tool because you're only asked to reproduce what you see instead of trying to create something new in an unfamiliar game.

If i had a capture card, i'd have participated but i'm not gonna be able to have everything set up for a while still. Actually i think you just picked an unfortunate game because CvS2 (alongside MvC2) is quite possibly the most inconvenient game to capture combos from. It's not emulated, it's on an obsolete unsupported system, and it's got a very diverse combo engine that's difficult for beginners to absorb. It's much more convenient to do this sort of thing with emulated games because no hardware is needed to capture.

Anyway i hope you don't get discouraged if nobody responds. It's tough to get the ball rolling on these things. You need a critical mass of combo video makers that might not even exist, much less concentrated on one forum at any given time. I mean, this forum is probably the best place to try something like this, but we're still not quite there yet.
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

I'd play, but I need a capture card. And I still ain't got my taxes back!
obot64

Post by obot64 »

Maj brings up a good point about emulated games. How do you capture from them?
Majestros = Combo Motivation

Can I get an Ode to the air throw?
Maj

Post by Maj »

Your two main choices are Kawaks and Final Burn Alpha. I'd probably recommend FBA in most cases, especially if you're interested in checking out the capabilities of emulator tools such as rerecording.

The basic approach is to record an emulator replay movie while you're playing the game, doing your combos or whatever. This creates a very small file that can be watched in the emulator with the rom loaded. While the emulator is recording your inputs, you can either perform the combos manually or you can use various emulator tools. Once you have the replay file, you make a video of it that can be watched in any media viewing program (such as WMP) without the need for the emulator or the actual game. For capturing video clips from Kawaks, you need an external program such as Camtasia or HyperCam. On the other hand, FBA has its own video export capability and supports various codecs.

For more information on using FBA, check the Emulator Questions thread.

For more information on using Kawaks, check the Kawaks Macro Usage - Tips and Tricks thread.

For more information on capturing from Kawaks, check the Capturing combos from computer thread.