Nunchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills

question anything pertaining to the craft
Maj

Nunchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills

Post by Maj »

Is anyone here good at scanning stuff? I don't even own a scanner and i need an image scanned from a booklet. Thought about going to Kinkos to do it myself but after reading some tutorials online, it's very clear that i do not possess scanning skills.

If anyone does have scanning skills, i'm down to send you the booklet along with ONE AMERICAN DOLLAR and let you keep the booklet. That's a sizeable profit at a substantial savings to you!
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

umm I have scanning skills! I'm an Fine art, ex graphic design major. You have my addy I think? My scanner is OK not the best but I can get pretty good quality if you want.

Is there some specific type of file you want? Do you need it to be converted to text if possible? Just let me know the specs and I'll do it once I get the booklet. Oh yeah, I don't really need the dollar but you can send it if you want.
Thongboy Bebop

Post by Thongboy Bebop »

I both need the dollar and can be directly handed the item in question. Lemme know!

N
"If you lose any more weight I'm sending you to rehab." -- My Mother
Maj

Post by Maj »

Hmm, clearly fullmetalross has the more impressive resume since Thongboy Bebop forgot his at home. Or maybe his resume is indeed blank. Worrysome ...

But TBBB was more considerate of my dollar-having skills cuz not everyone has access to the rare nutrient-rich american dollars that i am offering. In fact, it's rare even for me to have american dollars in my wallet. Today i happen to have not one, but THREE AMERICAN DOLLARS in my possession! You could say that i am in a dollar-having zone!! And it's nice when someone properly recognizes my skills.

That leaves the score at an even 1-1. The tiebreaker is TBBB's "can be directly handed the item" clause. In fact i would venture to say that hanging out with Niles is worth more than a single point. It is worth plural points!

Therefore, TBBB wins with a score of x-1 where x is a member of the set {y | y is an integer and y > 2}
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

omg. how do i neg mods here?
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

haha. Fine! nah it's cool I'd give it to TBBP, cause he's just that cool.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

awaits Niles' maniacal laugh
Maj

Post by Maj »

Yo Niles, call me up. Check your PM's.

Hey fullmetalross, do you have some kinda portfolio of your artwork on a website or blog or something?
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

I have some random stuff up. It's all sort of either in different states of completeness or old

http://web.pdx.edu/~koehl/art/

not the best examples of my work. But I like some of them. Specially Luchadora... thats a print btw, I made it from a copper plate i etche the image on too. If anyone wants a copy, hit me up!
Maj

Post by Maj »

Dude, i want one! Are you selling them? A lot of established illustrators sell prints, especially artists who work in digital formats. Tho i really have no idea what the income is like for people in freelance mode.

Luchadora is great and i like first and last ones as well (filenames are doodle and zomg).

If you ever draw any fighting game characters, be sure to post those up for us to see. Or, you know, if you ever feel like sharing anything else even if it's completely unrelated to Guile or Sonic Hurricanes or how strong Ryu is.
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

K pm me your address and when I print up the next batch (should be next week, I'll send you one.
Maj

Post by Maj »

FMR: Did you get the booklet that i mailed you? It was the same thing that i sent to TBBB but i guess it was too small of an image. The scan turned out really small and you can actually see the dots from the printing process. I'm hoping you can pull some kinda miracle but if it's not possible, don't worry about it.
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

getting rid of dots is easy. You just deinterlace with the proper filter. Umm but I didn't get it yet cause I couldn't get out to where it would be at my family's house.

I don't even know if it came yet though cause my mom didn't say anything about anything coming for me. I will ask her tomorrow and then I'll get it by this weekend and I should have the image for you basically the day after that.

And the print thing will come shortly after that since I just need to send it to you as I already have it printed.
Maj

Re: Nunchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking ski

Post by Maj »

Kinda kicking around the idea of posting all those screenshots on several random forums (little by little), but i don't want to waste a ton of bandwith in the process. Worse still, hosting services typically limit the number of simultaneous server connections. If people begin following those threads on a regular basis, they could all start getting in each other's way and causing interference.

With that in mind, i probably need to register an account with one of those image hosting sites. Any recommendations? All i'm gonna do is post direct links on forums and all i need is reliability and a little convenience. For example, is flickr any good?

edit: Guess you can't access/share the original file without a paid "pro" account. Not interested in having my screenshots automatically resized and compressed. Any other suggestions?
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

you can. Just copy the image location, I do it all time and they've never gotten mad at me for it. Look I'll do it right now.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Would you mind doing me a favor and trying that with any random screenshot like this one?
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

Uploaded to my flickr and delivered to you.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Sweet, thanks. Looks like it works. Here's my new account:

sonichurricane.com's photostream

I've noticed a couple of people on the help forums referring to accessing the source file as an "undocumented feature" or whatever, since the official documentation directly states that it should be impossible. Hopefully that means it won't be fixed if it's a bug.
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

Yeah I read that when I first got an account. And then I was like... hey it still works, sweet!
Maj

Post by Maj »

I just found out that Alt+uparrow in Windows Vista goes up one directory. Even works in file saving windows. Which is great, because they don't have a parent directory button for some stupid reason.

Kinda wish it was fucking listed somewhere so i wouldn't have to find it by luck like it was a fucking glitch. Hate this OS but XP wasn't an option.
onReload

Post by onReload »

New computer? How was XP not an option? When are you available to play SF4PC online?
error1

Post by error1 »

Maj wrote: Kinda wish it was fucking listed somewhere
It is listed. Search for Keyboard shortcuts in windows help and pick General keyboard shortcuts
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... -shortcuts
Maj

Post by Maj »

Nah this is my laptop i've had for a while now. Took me this long to find that shortcut. Must have been mashing or something.
Smileymike101

Post by Smileymike101 »

I saw Maj mash that DP.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Wordpress is sooooooo dumb when it comes it comes to pingback/trackback spam. Why is it so hard for them to separate those from comments by default? I hate installing unofficial plugins for basic shit.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Man, i tried looking into amazon web services as a potential wordpress host, but holy shit is it confusing as all hell. Does anyone know where i can obtain the tomes and equipment necessary to cast a wordpress spell on aws?

I found some tutorials but we're talking steps for days!
Maj

Post by Maj »

Damn, this ain't cheap either. Their EC2 pricing starts at $0.12 per hour on demand, which works out to $87.60 a month. They have annual plans which start at $227.50 per year and then charge $0.05 per hour, which works out to $55.46 per month.

I've never looked into prices for running a dedicated server, so i guess aws is supposed to be relatively cheap in comparison, but it still seems like a lot. And i don't even think these prices include raw storage and bandwidth costs.

But i guess this is the next step, whenever it becomes necessary. I wonder what hosting costs are like for major sites like SRK and TZ.
Buttermaker

Post by Buttermaker »

The GGPO server costs $300 per month with a flat rate for bandwidth.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Good to know (assuming it's reliable info), but i don't know how to relate to that. GGPO is vastly different from anything i've ever done or could ever do.

I've been looking up different hosting providers. They generally allow upgrading to a virtual private server as an add-on to basic hosting, to guarantee CPU/RAM reserves for stability. Luckily one of them had a helpful rubric:
DreamHost wrote:How much memory do I need?

Here's a very rough guideline:

•300 MB : 99% of all predominantly static sites.
•600 MB : A top 100 blog.
•1000 MB : A busy forum.
•4000 MB : A very popular web app.
Their price structure breaks down to $15/month for 300MB, $30/month for 600MB, $50/month for 1000MB, and $200/month for 4000MB. I don't think sh/f qualifies as a "busy" forum but then again i have no idea what they mean by that.

My current hosting plan is supposed to be "unlimited" storage and bandwidth, but of course nothing's truly unlimited. They don't mention anything about CPU load, which is the real issue with dynamic applications like wordpress and phpbb.

My blog traffic peaked around February/March, dropped down a little, then leveled off over the last couple months. So whatever we've got at the moment, it doesn't look like it's gonna get worse. (Until they send me an email to tell me they're kicking me off the server or something.)

However, i have an idea for another website. It's going to require a ridiculous amount of work, so i'm still undecided about whether or not i want to go through with it. Nor do i have a way of gauging how successful it might be, but i don't want it to have a negative impact on Sonic Hurricane or sh/f. It would've been really nice if aws was truly a ground-up scalable solution, but $85/month doesn't exactly qualify.
Buttermaker

Post by Buttermaker »

That reminds me of this story. Some guy leaves DreamHost after a bad experience and they send him flowers, balloons and a teddy bear...
I don't think sh/f qualifies as a "busy" forum
Yeah, you could host it on your home PC/connection.