question anything pertaining to the craft
Toxy

Post by Toxy »

Damn one of the worst song choices i ever heard for a combo video in that Mikei 3s one, doesn't suit it at all, definately should be on of those banned combo video songs :)
jchensor

Post by jchensor »

It's a good subject to bring up, Toxy.

Rap music, in general, has had very little success in Combo Videos. In fact, one of the only examples of it working was an old Ryu 2nd Impact video from long long long long long ago by Fighters.net, but it was such an old school song. I've seen rap used in many MvC2 videos as well, and I dunno... just never seems to flow.

Is it just me? I admit that I already am not particularly attuned to modern rap, so it might just be my personal reaction to it. Or is thre something to it that makes rap music unable to carry a Combo Video? I'm almost guessing that it might have to do with the fact that rap music IS so concentrated on lyrics that it could be slightly distracting? What does everyone think?
Toxy

Post by Toxy »

I can pretty much handle any type of music in combo videos, but rap is one i think just doesn't suit being in a combo video.
I think people just put it in because they like the song and don't seem to care that i doesn't suit being in the video.
ZenFire

Post by ZenFire »

I'm not attuned to modern rap either, but IMHO the reason a lot of rap music doesn't work in combo videos is because it takes away from the content because it's so lyrically intense. The beats in rap music are actually very good for combo vids because it's closer to the tempo of hte gameplay than say... Trance (most of the time anway). Same goes for certain rock songs. I wouldn't get distracted if all I was hearing was "weeee willl weeee will ... rock you!", but if it's some Ben Folds song where he's talking about his girlfriend stealing his black t-shirt, then yea... I'll get sidetracked.
Maj

Post by Maj »

There have to be at least 50 hip hop tracks that would make perfect combo video music. All it needs is a good beat, and a good enough MC to make his/her voice sound like another drum instrument. None of it is on the radio though. All of that bullshit sounds like obnoxious yelling on top of overproduced beats.

Just off the top of my head, i think Aesop Rock, Aceyalone, Qwel, Gift of Gab, J-Live, Mos Def, and Common all have several tracks each that could easily pull it off. Hell, you could slap on just about any well-known Pharcyde or KRS-One track and get away with it on familiarity alone.

I think everyone makes the mistake of going for recent pop rap and none of that has the steady confidence of classic hip hop. Club music is terrible no matter what genre you look to.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Some random tracks that could work:

DJ Shadow - Stem/Long Stem
DJ Shadow - Giving Up The Ghost
DJ Shadow - You Can't Go Home Again
(i'm amazed nobody has used Organ Donor in a combo video before)

RJD2 - Chicken-Bone Circuit
Kid Loco - Relaxin' with Cherry
(random mostly instrumental DJ tracks which i may have brought up before)

Handsome Boy Modeling School - The Truth
Handsome Boy Modeling School - Holy Calamity
(putting either of these in a combo video amounts to declaring that your video is the best thing ever, so you better have the content to back it up)

Aesop Rock - Daylight
Deltron - Madness
Typical Cats - Qweloquiallisms
Aceyalone - The Balance
(the good thing about stream of consciousness rhymes is that you can enjoy the lines without following the whole story, and all of these MCs just plain sound dope even if you aren't paying attention to the meaning)

You can preview most of these on youtube if you don't wanna spend the time tracking down the albums they're on. Even the ones that were never made into music videos have been used as background music for student films or whatever.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Make it Rain by Lil Wayne
Thongboy Bebop

Post by Thongboy Bebop »

Maj wrote: Handsome Boy Modeling School - The Truth
Handsome Boy Modeling School - Holy Calamity
(putting either of these in a combo video amounts to declaring that your video is the best thing ever, so you better have the content to back it up)
I'm not Betelgeuse, you can just say my name when you're talking about me.

N
"If you lose any more weight I'm sending you to rehab." -- My Mother