Street Fighter IV: Volt Battle Protocol

talk about how great training mode is
HarlequinRogue

Street Fighter IV: Volt Battle Protocol

Post by HarlequinRogue »

So my idea is that this is somewhere I can list some of my junk for Street Fighter IV Volt and hopefully inspire some people or gain some inspiration from everyone else's input/questions. The list is not yet exhaustive but I hope it will be!

Street Fighter IV: Volt was released on June 30 2011. It was the updated version of the iOS Street Fighter IV app. The main difference being the addition of online content. Since then, Street Fighter IV Arena has been released in the Korean market.

Volt has 22 characters (Abel, Akuma, Balrog, Blanka, Cammy, Chun Li, Cody, C. Viper, DeeJay, Dhalsim, E. Honda, Fei-Long, Guile, Ken, Makoto, M. Bison, Ryu, Sagat, Sakura, Vega, Yun, Zangief). (Two additional boss characters of Boss Bison and Shin Akuma exist). Due to the time it is released, it is most similar to Super Street Fighter IV. It is not a port, so there are numerous differences which I'll try to list and explain.

Basic mechanics
-4 button layout: Punch, Kick, SP and Focus.
Due to one button for Punch and Kick, most characters have limited normals. Different normals are performed with a direction + button. e.g. Ryu has d or db+K = cr.LP. d or db+K is cr.MK. df+P = cr.HP and df+K = cr.HK. Collarbone Breaker is b+P. Additionally, most characters have only two jumping attacks. Chun Li however has headstomps as d+k and nj.K as her nj.HK. An interesting consequence for combos is that this allows Ryu to land FA 3, j.MP on some characters allowing for some interesting combos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VscHiZUh2ss. Due to the simplified layout and overlapping controls, some combos cannot be performed such as s.HP xx Zonk Knuckle (Cody).

Lastly, there is no close/far variations of moves. So Akuma's s.HK is always the far version.

-SP button and SP assist mode.
SP button is how EX moves are performed. e.g. with Ryu fireball motion + SP would give EX Hadouken. SP assist on allows for one button specials. e.g. Ryu: (neutral) SP = Hadouken, d+SP = Shoryuken, b+SP = Tatsumaki Senpukyaku. This means that each character only has one version of their specials, usually the hard version. SP button is also used for the manual Ultra inputs (e.g. qcfx2+SP for Metsu Hadouken).

-One touch Supers and Ultras.
Press the gauge for the respective Super/Ultra. Still requires charge for charge ultras. (Charge not required in iOS SFxT nor Arena). Aesthetically, Super/Ultra meters are below the health bar. Each character has only one Ultra, sometimes U1, sometimes U2. Sakura has two versions of her Ultra: Shinku Hadouken and Shinku Tangyo Hadouken. The latter is performed as b+ultra tap. Manual motions are still available for Supers/Ultras. Super/Ultra animations freeze the timer, so no Timer scam

-Throws.
Throws are inputted as either f or b + P. Each character only has one throw. You can tech while crouching.

-Taunts
No taunts. But I pretend Cody's fake stone is a taunt anyway.

Main differences from Street Fighter IV (all versions)
-Volt runs at 20fps
Overall the feel is slightly faster than Street Fighter IV. As a consequence, frame data is roughly the same as 1/3 of the value for SFIV. Due to rounding, some attacks are quite fast (1f startup HP) or attacks lose frame advantage on hit

-FADC
DP, FADC, is the same as pre-USFIV. The main difference however, is the dash cancel out of a Focus Attack, it only requires one input of forward or back. FA2 and FA3 on hit crumple for the same amount of time. Pressing a second forward input gives you a second forward dash, with no delay in between dashes. (You can only do 2 forward dashes or 2 back dashes. No combination of the two.)

-Charging and Charge Partioning
Due to the nature of SP inputs, you can maintain charge for Volt exclusive combos. E.g. since Flash Kick can be done as charge d + sp, you can perform Flash Kick, FADC, EX Flash Kick (https://youtu.be/sZa3xhcPsBE?t=29s)

Additionally if you have a charge, the game will allow you to register an additonal input whilst still maintaining charge. e.g. (EX) Sonic Boom, Ultra is a link (https://youtu.be/sZa3xhcPsBE?t=4m17s). You are also able to FADC/ into charge moves (utilising the one tap dash cancel as part of the motion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQjYA4ARUuE). Charge ultra/supers/specials can be performed.

If you have frame perfect charging, you can maintain charge whilst crossing someone up.

-Gravity
In general, characters don't float as high on juggles, so FA 3, FA 2, Metsu Hadouken won't connect with Ryu. Neither will Sakura's Sakura Otoshi (2 hits), Ultra. Abel cannot followup cr.HP xx Marseilles Roll, except with Super.

Pushback
In general pushback on moves is far more than SFIV. Sakura Senpukyaku loops are much shorter, for example. Zangief actually has less pushback.

-Rapidfire/Chainable light attacks
The major difference is that you can cancel rapidfire/chained lights. so cr.LK x3 xx Knee Press (M. Bison) is fine.

-'Missing' Moves and Pickups
Cody has no Knife and no knife moves. Sagat has no Angry Scar. Zangief has no flying power bomb. Vega's mask and claw don't come off

Super Freezes
-Game is completely frozen during super animation.

-Knockdown + Projectile glitch
If a projectile and a knockdown move both hit in the same frame, the opponent does not get knocked down. (https://youtu.be/aVSltwQ5wuU?t=3m5s)

-No Height Restriction on Divekicks
Cammy can do j.HK, Cannon Strike, s.HP. Yun can do Fa 3, Dive Kick, normal

-Juggle Point Changes
Most move properties are the same as Super Street Fighter 4 with some interesting changes. The first hit of EX Flash Kick puts the opponent into a free juggle state, as does the first 2 hits of Ken's EX Shoryuken as an anti-air. Interestingly, Guile High Kick does so too, but only on grounded opponents. It has to be meaty to have a followup.

-Post KO
You can only do Focus attacks and normals post KO (well, OK, technically you can cancel a rekka into the 2nd or 3rd one). If the finishing blow is on the ground, the opponent will be in a free juggle state. So Ryu can do cr.MK (KO), cr.MK. Fei Long can do Shienkyaku (KO), FADC, j.HP. The character will go into win pose a certain time after the opponent hits the ground. Yun's Genei Jin gives infinite juggle points to moves so long as the move wouldn't reset them so this is possible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GJr9uRz0PA

-Yun's Genei Jin
Grounded normals are jump cancellable. Combined with no height restriction on divekicks, you can get combos like the one above of cr.MP /\ Dive Kick, cr.MP.

-Guile changes
Guile High Kick is F+K, so it is much harder to maintain charge. Guile's j.MK crosses over very easily.

-Kara Moves
Sagat can Kara cancel his step kick into his specials. Akuma can kara cancel his normals into super/ultra. Additionally, armour cancelling does not exist.

-Option Selects
Option Selects largely do not exist. The ones that do exist are largely imperfect.

-Negative Edge
Exists only for moves inputted with buttons (i.e. not for one touch supers/ultras).

-Plinking
Due to only having one Punch and Kick button, you cannot plink out a specific normal. However, in some cases you can slide over P and K if they have similar properties to land a tight link. e.g. pressing db+p/k (cr.LP/cr.LK) after Sakura's Senpukyaku.

-Landing Frames
After an air attack, the first two frames you land you cannot block, but you can perform an attack. After an empty jump, you cannot attack on the first frame, but you can block.

-Safe Jumps
Most DPs are 1frame so the safe jumps that exist are 2f safe. When used against 1 frame reversals, an empty jump will be able to block, whereas the jumping attack will not be able to block.

-Meaty Attacks
Many attacks only have 1 active frame so cannot land meaty. Mid combo meaties do not exist

-Counter Hits
Generally +1 frame of hitstun. Some moves do not have a counter hit bonus e.g. 2nd hit of Guile's Target Combos.

-Less Floaty Knockdown moves
Cody's EX Ruffian Kick, and DeeJay's cr.MK slide cannot be followed up

-Corner Crossovers
Many jumping normals will crossover in the corner. Some are very character specific. e.g. Balrog can land crossover j.HK on Zangief. Ken can land j.HP crossover very easily against all the cast.

-Frame Rounding weirdness
Akuma can land far s.HK, s.HP. Cody is +0 on hit with s.HP. Cody's EX Criminal Upper is 1f startup. Vega is +0 on hit with Rolling Crystal Flash. (EX) fireballs have more recovery. Very few EX fireball loops exist (Akuma can do EX Zanku Hadouken, DeeJay can do EX Air Slasher and Guile can do his loops). Chun's Lightning Legs are +0 on hit, but you can FADC into a followup. Most command throws are 1f startup, but since it requires 1f to input a move to avoid them, they are the fastest punishes in the game)

General less hitstun on 1st hit of 2-hitting moves.
-So Knee Press, FADC doesn't connect into anything. Neither does Double Rolling Sobat, Criminal Upper or other moves like that

-Super Jumping
To cancel a seismo into a super jump, only one input is required.

-Mashing moves
Normals can't be mashed. They will come out a few frames later. Non-charge specials can be mashed and will come out frame perfect. Charge specials/supers/ultras have a sort of cooldown and cannot be mashed out.

-Volt Specific Weird Stuff
In a previous version Makoto can do FA 2, FA 2 indefinitely against the whole cast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeCUD3J2ypw

C. Viper's EX Seismo is unblockable at max range. Her normal seismo has one input and tracks automatically for light/medium/hard version

Blanka can land Ultra, Super in the corner. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PrVco6C8HU)

Vega's Scarlet Terror, Super can go into the throw version.

Zangief can do EX Green Hand, FADC (back dash), cr.LP.

C. Viper's feints are all identical. She can do cr.LP, feint, cr.LP.

Due to this not being a port, SFIV glitches do not exist (e.g. crossup unblockables and unblockable ultras)
Last edited by HarlequinRogue on Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:06 am, edited 13 times in total.
Doopliss

Re: Street Fighter IV: Volt Battle Protocol

Post by Doopliss »

I watched some more of that video with the Makoto infinite, and I'm curious: How do you do instant final TAP at the start of the round with balrog?
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
HarlequinRogue

Post by HarlequinRogue »

Doopliss wrote:I watched some more of that video with the Makoto infinite, and I'm curious: How do you do instant final TAP at the start of the round with balrog?
Combination of two things. First is that our version of Tool-Assistance is via manipulating replays. Essentially this lets us perform moves without input, so no charging required, generally or for insane Sonic Boom loops. The second is a bug in the Street Fighter IV app that predates volt. A Counter Hit on Blanka Ball does double damage instead of the +20% a usual counter hit does
Last_Window

Post by Last_Window »

Honda's and Zangief's crumple animations last a bit longer than the rest, which is enough to make some characters able to do FA3, FA3. However, due to hurtbox weirdness, you can do more stuff on Honda than on Zangief after the second FA3, like Shienkyaku xx Super with Fei Long. Fei Long can't get the first hit of the Shienkyaku on Zangief until he's about to touch the ground, at which point all of the hits of the super will miss, while he will get the first hit of the Shienkyaku right after the dash.

Bison's hurtboxes are wider than the rest, which means that there's some combos that only work on him, like cr.HP, cl.HP with Cammy.

Viper is the only character to have more than one strength for a special. Seismic Hammer's strength depends on the opponent's position, and she has two versions of her Thunder Knuckle (Medium and Heavy). The rest are pretty much just the Heavy versions with some exceptions like Sakura's Shunpukyaku being the Light version.
pepopulo

Post by pepopulo »

''C. Viper's EX Seismo is unblockable at max range''
I'm done lol

btw does Blanka's super post ultra connect fully? I've seen Maj do this on his Blanka tas for SFIV before but only one hit connected
Nueva tecnología!!!
CaptYadierPR

Post by CaptYadierPR »

pepopulo wrote:''C. Viper's EX Seismo is unblockable at max range''
I'm done lol

btw does Blanka's super post ultra connect fully? I've seen Maj do this on his Blanka tas for SFIV before but only one hit connected
yes it connects the whole super, and does alot of damage

viper can also set up the only unblockable in the game after forward throw, makes it even more OP. Though you hardly see it, its a mechanic only a few amount of people know about and due to the fact that there are not many vipers online.
HarlequinRogue

Post by HarlequinRogue »

I'm done lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PrVco6C8HU

Only 2 hits sadly
CaptYadierPR

Post by CaptYadierPR »

HarlequinRogue wrote:
I'm done lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PrVco6C8HU

Only 2 hits sadly
my bad, i thought it did all hits since it was so much damage but i was mistaken.
CaptYadierPR

Post by CaptYadierPR »

HarlequinRogue wrote:
Press the gauge for the respective Super/Ultra. Still requires charge for charge ultras. (Charge not required in iOS SFxT nor Arena). Aesthetically, Super/Ultra meters are below the health bar. Each character has only one Ultra, sometimes U1, sometimes U2. Sakura has two versions of her Ultra: Shinku Hadouken and Shinku Tangyo Hadouken. The latter is performed as b+ultra tap.
Some things to add is that you can also manually perform super and ultras with the basic ultra/super motion (depending on the character), P/K for supers and SP for ultra.

Crouch Tech is possible with db+P or df+P but its pretty unsafe unless you character has a cr.LP like Guile for example, but if your playing chun-li for example she doesnt have cr.lp instead a cr.mp comes out and you can get punished bad.

Viper also doesnt need to input a super jump after a seismo to cancel, just press Up in any direction and the game interprets it as a super jump cancel, you can cancel into any other special/focus (meterless cancels) or just continue with the jump. Her Seismo has auto seek also so when you input a Seismo the game automaticly selects the best option to hit your opponent

Someone a few months ago discovered a Fei option Select where you do cr.lk into rekka then press ultra and then continue the rekka. If fei gets a trade hit, ultra will come out and connect, if fei hits rekka without a trade he will just continue the rekka. Other option selects would be if the opponent back dashes on wake up and you tried to throw them a punch will come out, in guiles example if you used f+P its a turn Punch that punishes backdashes.
Last edited by CaptYadierPR on Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HarlequinRogue

Post by HarlequinRogue »

CaptYadierPR wrote:
HarlequinRogue wrote:
Press the gauge for the respective Super/Ultra. Still requires charge for charge ultras. (Charge not required in iOS SFxT nor Arena). Aesthetically, Super/Ultra meters are below the health bar. Each character has only one Ultra, sometimes U1, sometimes U2. Sakura has two versions of her Ultra: Shinku Hadouken and Shinku Tangyo Hadouken. The latter is performed as b+ultra tap.
Some things to add is that you can also manually perform super and ultras with the basic ultra/super motion (depending on the character), P/K for supers and SP for ultra.

Crouch Tech is possible with db+P or df+P but its pretty unsafe unless you character has a cr.LP like Guile for example, but if your playing chun-li for example she doesnt have cr.lp instead a cr.mp comes out and you can get punished bad.

Viper also doesnt need to input a super jump after a seismo to cancel, just press Up in any direction and the game interprets it as a super jump cancel, you can cancel into any other special/focus (meterless cancels) or just continue with the jump. Her Seismo has auto seek also so when you input a Seismo the game automaticly selects the best option to hit your opponent

Someone a few months ago discovered a Fei option Select where you do cr.lp into rekka then press ultra and then continue the rekka. If fei gets a trade hit, ultra will come out and connect, if fei hits rekka without a trade he will just continue the rekka. Other option selects would be if the opponent back dashes on wake up and you tried to throw them a punch will come out, in guiles example if you used f+P its a turn Punch that punishes backdashes.
I still think the option selects are really bad and not the same as SFIV.

I will add the other stuff
HarlequinRogue

Post by HarlequinRogue »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2lk4UPizUk

Just some odds and ends that I plan someday in the future to use in vids.

Some notes,

Balrog, can't do Ultra, Super in Volt unless you do the setup with one hit of ultra.

Guile can't do super, Ultra normally, so this is one of the few ways to land it.
HarlequinRogue

Post by HarlequinRogue »

Was trying to figure out if I could do Ken's meaty 2h SRK into stuff on volt (we only have heavy SRK). This is what I came up with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkVlavTpbg0
HarlequinRogue

Post by HarlequinRogue »

So the guy who usually helps me edit stuff has some family stuff he is dealing with so I thought I'd just upload a basic video I've had for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9sIMVzuzpA

The interesting thing in Volt compared to USF4 is being able to do j.MP on a neutral jump. So this lets you do FA 3, j.MP and have some fun
HarlequinRogue

Post by HarlequinRogue »

Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

HarlequinRogue

Post by HarlequinRogue »

Any good Dudley/Poison/Ibuki combos or combo vids you guys recommend? We just got our release and I want to test differences between the versions
HarlequinRogue

Post by HarlequinRogue »

Found a glitch yesterday which gives us easy infinites... stay tuned!
HarlequinRogue

Post by HarlequinRogue »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScLEX85Yk88

So we broked it.

Further information:

Glitch is universal vs Ibuki. It happens when you do a frame perfect hit on her kunai. The game gets confused about if you get hit or hit the kunai, so you 'land' in the air. You end up in a state where you have both properties of being grounded and in the air.

Side effects:
Cannot block
If you go airborne, you go back to normal height (backdashes are allowed though)
Cannot cancel into specials, supers or EX Focus Attacks (only choice is to link combos, and to rapidfire light attacks)
No pushback when in the corner (AKA infinite city)
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

So it's the SF version of this? Nice. I can't wait to see what you come up with. Maybe you could get some silly meaty combos with stuff like Abel's CoD, Chun's SBK, Sakura's LK Shunpukyaku or other things with a downwards arc and/or a lot of active frames? If you can vary your height freely based on when you hit the kunai some of these should work, but I guess hitboxes work very differently in this game, so I'm not too sure. In any case, some sick Dudley target combo loops should be available for sure.

HarlequinRogue

Post by HarlequinRogue »

Doopliss wrote:So it's the SF version of this? Nice. I can't wait to see what you come up with. Maybe you could get some silly meaty combos with stuff like Abel's CoD, Chun's SBK, Sakura's LK Shunpukyaku or other things with a downwards arc and/or a lot of active frames? If you can vary your height freely based on when you hit the kunai some of these should work, but I guess hitboxes work very differently in this game, so I'm not too sure. In any case, some sick Dudley target combo loops should be available for sure.

Yeah, we get the same thing.

Problem is Sakura's Shunpukyaku goes airborne so height gets reset and we can't cancel into it.

But I have found that for some reason a Poison can FADC her Aeolus Edge and Kissed by a goddess so that gives me options to work with. Her cr.LP is also +1 on hit so we can link that to specials

HHS was the easiest special loop to start up with. I am going to see if there's any projectile we can loop with.

With the hitboxes, I've been looking at meaty crossovers. Some moves have interesting properties, such as Ryu/Akuma's EX Tatsu still retains a small amount of hitbox when the height gets reset so it looks like a box jump
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Oh yeah, no cancels, silly me. +1 is linkable you say? That makes me curious: What is the frame rate on this game, and how does frame data generally look (is something like Ryu's c.MP 2f start-up, +2/3 on hit?)

HarlequinRogue

Post by HarlequinRogue »

Doopliss wrote:Oh yeah, no cancels, silly me. +1 is linkable you say? That makes me curious: What is the frame rate on this game, and how does frame data generally look (is something like Ryu's c.MP 2f start-up, +2/3 on hit?)
Game is 20fps. So pretty much take your frame data from USF4 and divide by 3 as a rough rule of fun. There are of course exceptions. So Bison's far s.HK is ridiculous at 1f startup and links from cr.LK

So 3f uppercuts/reversals become 1f uppercuts.

I've also found out that Fei's Tenshin and Dhalsim's throw reset Ibuki to the players height, so you can keep going up if you wanted

As for Dudley, we only have TC2,3,4. So the only loop we have is TC4 and cr.LP/LK
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

That's a shame, TC8 is one of the coolest strings to use mid-link-combo imo.

HarlequinRogue

Post by HarlequinRogue »

Hmm technically could do a projectile chase after throwing the projectile at the top of the screen.... then do something funky like (EX) flash kicking Ibuki into the sonic boom at the top of the screen and then into Ultra
HarlequinRogue

Post by HarlequinRogue »

I heard you guys like loops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOFIwJ89Vk8

So in CE, with the new characters (excluding Ibuki), they have a hitbox after dhalsim's throw. Gouken came in the 2nd round of characters and he has a body wide enough to land cr.MK xx Yoga Fire, but you need to walk forward before the cr.MK
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

That's really cool, I wish they did mistakes like that on the console version XD

HarlequinRogue

Post by HarlequinRogue »

Doopliss wrote:That's really cool, I wish they did mistakes like that on the console version XD
Yeah, it's really wierd. It feels like someone literally forgot to to disable their hitbox after that one throw. Another wierd thing we found is Evil Ryu can cancel cr.LP/s.HP/cr.HP/cr.MK into ultra
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

HarlequinRogue wrote:
Doopliss wrote:That's really cool, I wish they did mistakes like that on the console version XD
Yeah, it's really wierd. It feels like someone literally forgot to to disable their hitbox after that one throw. Another wierd thing we found is Evil Ryu can cancel cr.LP/s.HP/cr.HP/cr.MK into ultra
Wow, now that's an oversight. E.Ryu in the console version has a glitch where he can special cancel a chained-into close s.LK, but that's nothing compared to this.

HarlequinRogue

Post by HarlequinRogue »

So I played around a lot with tatsus today...

The way Evil Ryu is programmed is his Tatsu (ground) or air to air version has infinite juggle points so you can do tatsu (air), tatsu (ground) x3 and still have time/juggle to do an uppercut, FADC whatever.

As for floating combos, you can land an Akuma air fireball after a tatsu (ground) and continue the combo.

You can also trade with an air tatsu to achieve the floating glitch state, land in the air and continue the combo with a move. If you continue it with a ground tatsu in the air, you will land on the real ground as part of the ending animation and ready to juggle
HarlequinRogue

Post by HarlequinRogue »

So we have our 3rd update out and we got Juri, Elena and Rose each with Feng Shui Engine, Healing and Orbs respectively.

I don't have any experience with Juri, but the way they made her fireballs is that after it is stored, you don't have to hold a button but pressing k will release the light fireball and f+k releases the medium version. So this limits her combo options. But does this give you any interesting ideas or applications with this new method?