dxtory settings

question anything pertaining to the craft
onReload

dxtory settings

Post by onReload »

Hey y'all,

So I've begun using dxtory to record clips from AE2012 on PC, and wanted to know if anyone had an idea of optimal settings. Right now I have it on the lower 16:9 resolution, @ 30fps. It doesn't lag my gameplay at all, which is pretty nice.

I'm just not sure on compression. Should I use a totally separate program, or is the built-in one any good? What codecs should I use?

[edit]

Just remembered VirtualDub. Would it make sense to go dxtory capture -> virtualdub convert -> premiere edit?
his1nightmare

Re: dxtory settings

Post by his1nightmare »

Compression should always come last, elseway you will lower the quality of the video with every re-render.
Uncompressed recording>premiere(>virtualdub) will deliver the best results; of course only if your PC can handle uncompressed files in Premiere.

XviD is the codec which hits a sweetspot between quality, render time and CPU torture.
H/x264 has the best compression but takes its time and doesn't play that flawlessly on older machines, also Youtube has quite some problems with it occasionally.
Quicktime pngs result in huge files but have almost no artifacts or color issues (true black).
Wmv is being played back by Youtube with the tiniest amount of problems.

Make your pick.
If you don't want to get the best possible quality no matter what, you should go with XviD.