Recommended MeGUI settings?

question anything pertaining to the craft
Ryukenden

Recommended MeGUI settings?

Post by Ryukenden »

I'm finishing SFIII New Generation cmv and I need to know what are good settings to use in MeGUI. I'm encoding uncompressed avi. I'm not sure what resolution for avi file I should use yet.
error1

Re: Recommended MeGUI settings?

Post by error1 »

I normally do two pass mkv with a 5k bitrate, lame mp3 128kbs
you should just keep it native resolution unless you are making it for u2b, where you will have better results with 1280x720
Ryukenden

Post by Ryukenden »

Doesn't really look better than what I've done earlier. It doesn't look as smooth as it should be. I noticed that other people who uploaded SF3 clips also seem to have this problem, including you. KYSG's videos definitely have smoother looking frame rate. I'm gonna test some more and see what I can do.

Edit: After some testing I noticed that it's best to upload around 30fps video instead of 60fps like I usually did which makes sense because frame rate was problem in the first place.

I was curious how Maj managed to get 720p with 400x300 resolution and smooth fps in SF? Guile Exhibition combo video. I even uploaded his video to test what will youtube do with it, and it showed up in only 240p, but decent frame rate. I even asked him on sonichurricane back in 2011 but he only said he used MeGUI and x264, not which settings.

Still testing, I'm gonna try to upload by the end of this day. Any further advice is welcome.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Oh i just encoded an upscaled version for u2b that's 960x720 at 59.94 fps. There's no point in uploading that file anywhere because it's fake "high" quality. The 400x300 version is better for distributing, because watching it in full screen gives you the same result without the giant file size.

But of course i couldn't upload that version to u2b because it would be downgraded to 240p with very low bitrate. I guess u2b doesn't believe that anything below 480p can have sharp image quality. Anyway the framerate still sucks. You can see all sorts of messed up things happening like projectiles and bonus stage barrels disappearing or being solid instead of transparent.
Ryukenden

Post by Ryukenden »

Yeah, that's the only rational explanation. I just didn't think of encoding a video separately for youtube and your own use, which is what I'm doing from now on. As for bad framerate, it's expected for barrels to disappear since they are visible in one frame and invisible in the next. In 60 fps video, that's view-able, in 30 fps they just disappear, as expected.
Maj

Post by Maj »

The only way to solve the disappearing barrels problem is to figure out exactly what u2b's framerate is, then encode locally at that framerate until you find a way to make the barrels look right (using frame blending settings or whatever in your editing program).

I'm hesitant to share my settings because i know for sure that i'm doing something wrong. It takes hours for my videos to encode, and that's probably because i'm using some unnecessarily complex settings. But if you want to try duplicating my exact settings, here's what i used for the 720p u2b version of SF? Guile Exhibition:

Code: Select all

program --profile high --pass 2 --bitrate 5000 --stats ".stats" --ref 15 --no-fast-pskip --bframes 6 --b-adapt 2 --b-pyramid --direct auto --subme 9 --trellis 2 --partitions all --me umh --merange 64 --threads 1 --thread-input --no-dct-decimate --output "output" "input"
Like i said though, it takes forever to encode using those settings. Here's what i've been using recently for SF4 TACV vids:

Code: Select all

program --profile high --pass 2 --bitrate 5000 --stats ".stats" --no-fast-pskip --b-pyramid --direct auto --subme 9 --partitions all --me umh --threads 1 --thread-input --no-dct-decimate --output "output" "input"
Honestly i don't notice any difference in quality and it's much faster, so i would recommend these settings instead. But you really shouldn't use any of these settings because i'm not an expert and i never took the time to optimize them.
Ryukenden

Post by Ryukenden »

I needed that 3 years ago when I was making 3s cmv. In any case, SFIII New Generation cmv is finished and I uploaded few versions so far to test how smooth it will look. It looks better than my previous uploads.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Sorry, i didn't realize it was that big a deal. Nobody told me these settings either. I just figured them out on my own and i was never completely satisfied with them; but u2b makes everything blurry anyway, so at some point i just stopped caring about finding better settings.

But the last thing i want is for everyone to copy my settings because i'm certain they're not optimal. By now someone on the interwebs has to have figured out the best encoding settings for u2b video game content.
Ryukenden

Post by Ryukenden »

It's hard to determine what's "optimal". I uploaded so many videos today and lowered framerate was the most important change I made. We need a guide that covers the encoding part of making combo videos.
error1

Post by error1 »

this is the avs tasvideos recommends

http://code.google.com/p/feos-tas/sourc ... Package.7z

it does a lot of complex stuff to make shakes and blinks look good at 30fps