USF4 Combo Engine Investigation

talk about how great training mode is
Pokey86

USF4 Combo Engine Investigation

Post by Pokey86 »

Chun Li's projectile causing knockdown can only hurt her combo potential to be honest, don't imagine anyone will be performing anything to original with Chun in the next iteration.
Doopliss

Re: SSF4:AE Combo Engine Investigation

Post by Doopliss »

Pokey86 wrote:Chun Li's projectile causing knockdown can only hurt her combo potential to be honest, don't imagine anyone will be performing anything to original with Chun in the next iteration.
I was thinking the same thing... However: Hugo being in there will probably allow for some new combos with a lot of the cast. Alo, with Honda's U1 being faster, it's possible you can do it after Super in certain plausible situations (I've been pretty darn close to land it).
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
onReload

Post by onReload »

I hope Hugo and the others "feel" better than they did in SFxT. Kinda clumsy IMO.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

onReload wrote:I hope Hugo and the others "feel" better than they did in SFxT. Kinda clumsy IMO.
Yes, couldn't stand playing Hugo in SFxT, everything felt off. Hopefully it will change in SFIV. Can't wait to do fake meaty claps to SPD properly!

onReload

Post by onReload »

Yeah, I wonder if they'll give him a good grab range on his LP SPD...and I don't know how his Monster Lariat will work. Armor without meter is a weird concept for SF4.
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

I'm interested to play with Hugo's hitbox. Air ex tatsus and stuff. You know. :wink:
Making no profit since 1987...
onReload

Post by onReload »

ugh i hate you
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

But WHY?!
Making no profit since 1987...
Maj

Re: USSF4 Combo Engine Investigation

Post by Maj »

I finally got a chance to watch the Ultra Super Street Fighter IV reveal trailer and it's funny how incredibly bland their "Completely Rebalanced Gameplay Based On Fan Feedback" footage looks. Also Dhalsim s.MK looks hellllluva ghetto hitting twice.

Hugo and Poison look good. Elena and Rolento look really slow. I don't think modern Capcom understands what Alpha Rolento felt like. My only question is, will there be knife super??

edit: Damn it, i just realized that even if they have knife super, it won't be lvl1 knife super. That's depressing. What i would do is make the knife super his ultra-2, and have it go into cinematic if the knives connect - unless Rolento is in hitstun when the knives connect, in which case it's just a regular hit. Then combo videos!
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Bah, we already have Dudley's rose for that stuff, give me Minesweeper as super, his SFxT Super as U1, and Take no prisoner as U2.

Pokey86

Post by Pokey86 »

I don't know, steel rain as a super could be the absolute shit for combos, especially if they allow you to adjust the timing of the knives.

We might finally get those trial modes for the extra characters if we're lucky!
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

If we don't, then I have a large number of videos to make. Win/Win!

Maj

Post by Maj »

Steel Rain >>> Victory Rose

Only Aegis can compete!
SlimX

Post by SlimX »

Did somebody say Aegis?!
"Man, you being proud of me got in the way, bitch!"
Maj

Re: USF4 Combo Engine Investigation

Post by Maj »

Whoops, too many esses in the title. Fixed now.

SlimX wrote:Did somebody say Aegis?!
The trailer did say five new characters and they've only shown four. My guess is the fifth one is a new character. Either that or Cyber Akuma.

If it was Urien though, he'd probably be closer to CFE Urien than SF3 Urien. What was your opinion of that version btw?
onReload

Post by onReload »

Urien without unblockables is sad. But they said it's a character never seen in an SF, right? Sounds like it will be from an existing IP, otherwise they'd say "brand new" and so on. Considering how C&P this update to be, it's probably another Capcom action game character.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

There's been some pretty confusing statements on the 5th character, but from what I've been able to understand is that the character has never been playable in a SF-game before. That means it could be someone like Goutetsu, or maybe a comic book character, like they did with Karin.

Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

So, uhm, yeah, I just had to write some hype off, so here are some potential U3s (plus new character Supers, U1s and U2s):

-Ryu - Shinku Tatsumaki Senpukyaku (Slightly more damage than U1, less damage on juggle, can also be used in the air)

-Ken - Shippu Jinraikyaku (Less damage than U1, goes into animation on juggle)

-Chun-Li - Shichi Seisenkukyaku (Air Ultra. Quick, good damage, can't juggle)

-Guile - Crossfire Assault (Airborne, motion Ultra. Can be done after FK xx FADC, but not df.HK)

-E.Honda - Fuji Oroshi (Single hit into animation, large vertical hitbox, lower damage on juggle)

-Zangief - Aireal Russian Slam (low damage, can AA or be juggled into)

-Blanka - Tropical Hazard (Blanka jumps straight up, then goes into animation, no fruit afterwards (Would just be weird imo, but maybe I'm wrong). Low damage, can be juggled into)

-Dhalsim - Yoga Strike (AA grab)

-Balrog - Gigaton Blow (Decent damage, can't juggle, can be cancelled into during dash part of a dashing punch)

-Vega - Scarlet Mirage (Low damage, can juggle)

-Sagat - Tiger Raid (Advancing move with projectile invincibility. last hit goes into animation on ground hit, low juggle damage)

-M.Bison - Final Psycho Crusher (Teleports away from screen before super flash. High damage, can't juggle, quick after flash, very low chip, hits can be negated by projectiles)

-Cammy - Killer Bee Assault (charge move, similar to Vega's U1, but no pre-flash launcher hit and more damage)

-Dee Jay - Sunrise Theme (AA Ultra, can connect fully at higher juggle levels than U2, but does less damage)

-Akuma - Misogi (See SFxT)

-Sakura - Midare Zakura (Good horizontal range, goes thorugh projectiles)

-Gen Mantis - (Counter, causes the classic Shitenshu stun countdown if successful, minor damage on activation and per second of countdown, countdown hits scales twice per hit if opponent is comboed during it)

-Gen Crane - Koga (Five rapid Ogas you can direct yourself, all can combo if used correctly, scales as one move, not five)

-Dan - Okoto Michi (Like a medium range Raging Demon. Deals up to 650 damage, but leaves Dan with 1 HP afterwards)

-Rose - Soul Illusion (Similar to Yang's Super, timer based on how full revenge gauge is.)

-Abel - (Grab-Counter Ultra. Can be activated during tech-window of normal throw, or before any throw connects, massive damage)

-El Fuerte - (Running Ultra with multiple options, has afterimages to differentiate from normal run. QCFx2+PPP to run forward at start, QCBx2+PPP for backwards. LP changes direction. LK cancels. MP is quicker, more damage than normal run MP, keeps running on hit. MK follow-up is instant stun, keeps running (has manual follow-up to cause stun, meaning it scales four times). Backrun HP and run HP are goes into U1 and U2 cinematic, but with less damage, works like normal run HPs before they connect. HK is low, causes free juggle state. Backrun MK and HK goes to wall, from where you can use MP and HP)

-C.Viper - (Thunder knuckle Super. Punch version goes fullscreen, through fireballs. Kick version is AA. Less damage than U1)

-Rufus - (Messiah Kick Super. Jumps projectiles, animation after single hit, no juggle, no normal invincibility, only projectile)

-Gouken - (Counter Ultra, Animation is a single, super-powerful gut punch)

-Seth - Tanden legend (Low damage, instant 720 command grab. Good position afterwards. Features Seth teleporting around a lot like Dhalsim's Yoga legend super)

-Fei Long - Shien Renkyaku (AA Ultra, can juggle, similar to Shinryuken, but with no animation)

-T.hawk - Canyon Splitter (Leaps over fireballs to hit enemy, damage is on the low side)

-Guy - Ajaratengu (Aireal 720, borrowed from Maki)

-Cody - (Knife-only Ultra of some sort, I'm thinking high damage, quick start-up, short range, no juggle, single hit into animation, throws knife to finish, can be held to be unblockable)

-Adon - (Jaguar Tooth Ultra. Wall-juming projectile punisher)

-Dudley - (Counter-Ultra. High damage, can't counter lows)

-Makoto - (Non-instant Command grab Ultra. Poor Range, high damage)

-Ibuki - Yami Shigure (Low damage, quick start-up, Kunai starting hit can reach up to half screen, can be juggled into)

-Juri - (Air divekick Ultra, animation similar to Cross art starter in SFxT)

-Hakan - (Oil-up Ultra. Brings out his barrel, pours it on himself, then rolls the barrel at the opponent. Minor damage, bad recovery, oil time dependant on how full Revenge gauge is.)

-Yun - (Palm Ultra. Slow, Powerful Ultra. instead of being used directly, it can also reflect any kind of projectile, including other Ultras)

-Yang - (Non-instant Command Grab Ultra. Very Low damage, ends in crumple for a follow-up combo)

-Evil Ryu - Messatsu Gorasen (Single hit into animation on the ground, can be juggled into, Average damage. Has air version similar to Shinku Tatsumaki Senpukyaku)

-Oni - Sekia Kuretsuha (Dashes forward, through projectiles, and rams his palm into the opponents chest, causing a big, red explosion. Kinda slow, Very high damage)

-Rolento Super: Mine Sweeper (Grenades have projectile properties, drags opponent back with Rolento on hit)

-Rolento I - Patriot Sweeper (SFxT Super. Decent damage, can juggle)

-Rolento II - Take No Prisoners (Single hit into animation. Low, can hit opponent from almost full-screen, good for firebasll punish, no juggle, good damage)

-Rolento III - Steel Rain (Very low damage, quick recovery. Throws knives into air, that later lands on opponent. Leaves opponent standing. Rolento can mount an offensive before knives land. Can also hit on the way up in a juggle, resulting in the knives also landing on them, doing twice the normal damage)

-Poison Super: (Super projectile, 5 hits, slower than other super projctiles)

-Poison I - Love Storm (SFxT Super. No longer has projectile at start, works similar to Bison's U2. Decent damage, anti-projectile)

-Poison II - (Single hit into animation. Similar to her cross art starter. Quite strong, can't juggle)

-Poison III - Thunder Whip (Shinryuken-like jumping pirouette. Decent Damage, can juggle)

-Hugo Super - Hammer Frenzy (Works like in 3S)

-Hugo I - Gigas Breaker (Instant 720. More damage than other grapplers)

-Hugo II - Megaton Press (AA grab, decent damage, can be juggled into)

-Hugo III - (Running grab with super armor, basically a super Meat Squasher)

-Elena Super - Healing (Because you can't really have it as an ultra, now can you? Can be cancelled like in 3S)

-Elena I - Brave Dance (SFxT Super. First hit is a leap that tracks the opponent, projectile invincible, can't juggle, decent damage)

-Elena II - Spinning Beat (AA Ultra. Can juggle, decent damage)

-Elena III - (Single hit into animation. Can't juggle, good damage, uses Elena's Cross Art starter with a different ender)

Maj

Post by Maj »

Did they mention something about giving everyone a third ultra?

I like your Guile, Abel, and El Fuerte ideas. Counter grab is crazy talk!
Pokey86

Post by Pokey86 »

lol, Ultra speculations.

Should i start working out the JP on those things?

---

Hugo's J.HK looking like it causes knockdown on hit.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Maj wrote:Did they mention something about giving everyone a third ultra?
Not exactly, but there has been some demand from fans, so it's not completely out of the picture.
Maj wrote:I like your Guile, Abel, and El Fuerte ideas. Counter grab is crazy talk!
I really like the idea of a Judo character having a grab counter, that's an important part of the sport after all. Also, Goh in VF5 has a grab counter, so I figured Abel could have one too.

error1

Post by error1 »

that's pretty silly
should make some interesting punishes, but I can't see it being used to often.
TomSinister

Post by TomSinister »

Ive heard rumors that level 2 focus will be unblockable, level 1 will be a crumple and the resulting combo after will be unscaled. Also, I can see this being really good against character that dont have a decent focus break like akuma/evilryu/cammy.

@error1:
any chance of you making a red focus mod for people to try out?
error1

Post by error1 »

I can't see them making lv1 crumple or lv2 unblock able. lv1 crumple is an easy infinite combo and Lv2 is already faster then a some overheads.

it would be trivial to do but we don't know enough about it. And razor would beat me to it anyway
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkKdOw9L3T4
TomSinister

Post by TomSinister »

I dont think the lvl 1 crumple/lvl 2 unblockable thing will be in the final build. I dont think you will be able to do it out of blockstun either. Both of those ideas sound horrendously bad.
Maj

Post by Maj »

It sounds like red focus will cost meter, maybe even two bars, so it won't be an infinite. It seems like an extremely situational gimmick, but we'll see. If it really sets up unscaled damage, i'm sure some characters will gain new max damage combos from it.

By the way, having access to both ultras at once means hellllla Final TAP combos incoming.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Maj wrote:It sounds like red focus will cost meter, maybe even two bars, so it won't be an infinite. It seems like an extremely situational gimmick, but we'll see. If it really sets up unscaled damage, i'm sure some characters will gain new max damage combos from it.

By the way, having access to both ultras at once means hellllla Final TAP combos incoming.
In the video, it looks like red focus costs 1 bar per hit and may work against armour breakers. Maybe we'll see red focus armour on some moves like EX Cross Counter or the trap ultras as well.

I was under the impression that most ultras cause no-stun knockdown, which should limit the possibilities.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

From the top of my head: Rose, Dhalsim, Juri, Ryu, Gouken and Sagat are characters that could get some new combos from both Ultras.

Red focus can be armor broken, you can clearly see this in the Combofiend video.

onReload

Post by onReload »

^ But are you going on the supposition that they'll have the meter for both? or are these Final-TAP combos?

...and how in the heck can Dhalsim combo both lol