Capturing PS2 games in 60 FPS?

question anything pertaining to the craft
Persona

Capturing PS2 games in 60 FPS?

Post by Persona »

Anyone know how to do this? I've checked everywhere and have no idea how to capture it at 60 FPS.
error1

Re: Capturing PS2 games in 60 FPS?

Post by error1 »

do you have a pal ps3?
Persona

Post by Persona »

Asia PS3 I believe.

nate told me to read this, do you understand it? http://kb.speeddemosarchive.com/AviSynt ... rlacing.3F

My video seems to have the horizontal lines just like that DMC picture.
CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

If you have a really good computer you can run the games through PCSX2, and boost the internal resolution + frame rate. Then you won't have to worry about deinterlacing. Honestly a lot of PS2 games running on PCSX2 look better than 360/PS3 games to me.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

The PS2 only draws half the screen on each pass because it's interlaced. It's technically 60 fields - not frames - per second, so no there's not really full 60 frames per second worth of data to be had. Faking 60 frames per second from the 60 fields per second video is part art, part science.

Hardware devices capable of giving full frame rate on NTSC signal should be relatively easy to get. I've had good results with the ADVC DV converters, but they're expensive and use ieee1394 connections which aren't common.
error1

Post by error1 »

persona is a castlevaina speed runner, so emulation probably won't suit her.
Some ps2 games ran at 60fps, pretty much every fighter does.
an asia ps2 might be 50/25 tho, since it's pal
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

error1 wrote:...
It's interelaced. There are 60 passes per second, but each pass only refreshes every other line. So there are only 60/2=30 full frames.

Progressive scan is only supported by some games.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pl ... HD_support
Persona

Post by Persona »

The Castlevania game I play says it runs at 60 FPS although I know not every game does.

If I capture it in 30 FPS, is it still possible that you guys can convert it to 60 fields? I saw a video where it was supposedly 60 FPS (or 60 fields?) and it ran hella smooth.
Persona

Post by Persona »

Here's the file if Rufus wants to give it a shot.

http://www.mediafire.com/?v15s6j53s6zwkyc
error1

Post by error1 »

Rufus wrote:
error1 wrote:...
It's interelaced. There are 60 passes per second, but each pass only refreshes every other line. So there are only 60/2=30 full frames.

Progressive scan is only supported by some games.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pl ... HD_support
Some games generate the even frames and odd frames independently, making them 60 effective frames despite only half of a frame showing at a time.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

...Trying to find suitable compression settings, but here's an ugly attempt. You should be able to see the lack of sawtoothing.
http://www.pedantic.org/~nate/videos/output.vob

Can you get avconv to work for you?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/avconv/files/
Persona

Post by Persona »

Rufus wrote:...Trying to find suitable compression settings, but here's an ugly attempt. You should be able to see the lack of sawtoothing.
http://www.pedantic.org/~nate/videos/output.vob

Can you get avconv to work for you?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/avconv/files/
It gives me an error when I try to install. Wonder why.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Hmm.. No clue about the error.

You could look into other deinterlacing solutions. Whatever you're currently using may have some options.
Persona

Post by Persona »

I use Megui but it doesn't change anything at all. :(

Only way I can think of playing in 60 FPS is to buy the game on PSN (if the games are even on there) and record through the PS3. :(
Shinryu

Post by Shinryu »

Persona wrote:Only way I can think of playing in 60 FPS is to buy the game on PSN (if the games are even on there) and record through the PS3. :(
I had a similar dilemma and ended up settling on a JP backwards compatible PS3 so I could just record Tales at 60fps rather than having to deinterlace afterwards. The result is better than anything I was able to record before, perhaps only because of HDMI, but it's still not perfect...
Persona

Post by Persona »

Shinryu wrote:
Persona wrote:Only way I can think of playing in 60 FPS is to buy the game on PSN (if the games are even on there) and record through the PS3. :(
I had a similar dilemma and ended up settling on a JP backwards compatible PS3 so I could just record Tales at 60fps rather than having to deinterlace afterwards. The result is better than anything I was able to record before, perhaps only because of HDMI, but it's still not perfect...
Which Tales? Abyss?
Shinryu

Post by Shinryu »

Persona wrote:Which Tales? Abyss?
Um... All of them? Destiny 2, Symphonia, Rebirth, Abyss, Legendia, and Destiny DC. Why?
Persona

Post by Persona »

Shinryu wrote:
Persona wrote:Which Tales? Abyss?
Um... All of them? Destiny 2, Symphonia, Rebirth, Abyss, Legendia, and Destiny DC. Why?
Just curious. I'm quite the Tales fan although I have yet to make combo videos for them (I plan to with Graces f though).
Shinryu

Post by Shinryu »

Persona wrote:Just curious. I'm quite the Tales fan although I have yet to make combo videos for them (I plan to with Graces f though).
Ah, I'm a pretty big fan myself, though I'm less fond of the current generation titles. I liked combo videos for the PS2 titles (Still have a few Abyss ones on my storage even) as well as Vesperia to an extent, but in Graces and both Xillia's it's just too easy to do almost anything you want combo-wise; you can make some very stylish stuff, but there's little challenge in it. Like in Abyss, if you wanted to combo the same skill multiple times in a row, you'd either have to spell cancel or FOF cancel (Or be playing Guy >_>); in Graces or Xillia, you just... Use it multiple times in a row.

My main thing with Tales was to do challenge battles like solos, no damage, low level, and such; I managed to get pretty well known among both the US and Japan fanbases. I never did much for the combo scene except for finding some infinites and making some hit count records (I know Nore beat my Abyss one, but I don't think anyone was ever bored enough to challenge my Symphonia one). This was all in the pre/early YouTube days, though, so only the long time fans remember me really.
Persona

Post by Persona »

Shinryu wrote:
Persona wrote:Just curious. I'm quite the Tales fan although I have yet to make combo videos for them (I plan to with Graces f though).
Ah, I'm a pretty big fan myself, though I'm less fond of the current generation titles. I liked combo videos for the PS2 titles (Still have a few Abyss ones on my storage even) as well as Vesperia to an extent, but in Graces and both Xillia's it's just too easy to do almost anything you want combo-wise; you can make some very stylish stuff, but there's little challenge in it. Like in Abyss, if you wanted to combo the same skill multiple times in a row, you'd either have to spell cancel or FOF cancel (Or be playing Guy >_>); in Graces or Xillia, you just... Use it multiple times in a row.

My main thing with Tales was to do challenge battles like solos, no damage, low level, and such; I managed to get pretty well known among both the US and Japan fanbases. I never did much for the combo scene except for finding some infinites and making some hit count records (I know Nore beat my Abyss one, but I don't think anyone was ever bored enough to challenge my Symphonia one). This was all in the pre/early YouTube days, though, so only the long time fans remember me really.
Hmm, pumping up the accuracy stat in Graces f will allow pretty much everything to combo into everything right? I remember in the older games like Legendia and Innocence you had to pretty much find which attack gives just enough hitstun to be able to combo into another attack that's quick enough. Not everything comboed. Basically saying, you couldn't just combo everything into everything.
Shinryu

Post by Shinryu »

Persona wrote:Hmm, pumping up the accuracy stat in Graces f will allow pretty much everything to combo into everything right? I remember in the older games like Legendia and Innocence you had to pretty much find which attack gives just enough hitstun to be able to combo into another attack that's quick enough. Not everything comboed. Basically saying, you couldn't just combo everything into everything.
I believe so. Critical x2 combined with high Accuracy makes even bosses into practice dummies.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Persona wrote:I use Megui but it doesn't change anything at all. :(

Only way I can think of playing in 60 FPS is to buy the game on PSN (if the games are even on there) and record through the PS3. :(
This suggests Megui can deinterlace using AviSynth.
http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive ... page_3.cfm
Persona

Post by Persona »

Rufus wrote:
Persona wrote:I use Megui but it doesn't change anything at all. :(

This suggests Megui can deinterlace using AviSynth.
http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive ... page_3.cfm
Thanks! I'll give it a try!
ShinjiGohan

Post by ShinjiGohan »

If you are using PS2 hardware you can try two things to get it to output 60fps. Either the BlazeTV HDPlayer which forces the PS2 to output in either HD resolution and framerates, or computer resolutions and framerates. Depending on the game it may cut off some portions of the screen so in general I don't go too much above 720X480p HD or 640X480P in computer resolution.

Also you can do something similar with a GSM elf file that you can run by the memorycard exploit. Which again forces the PS2 to output in the resolutions above.

Otherwise you could go ahead and get an XRGB2+ or something to convert the 480i to 480p. Allowing you to capture on your computer a 60fps video.

Lastly you could always record in 480i then use avisynth and virtualdub to deinterlace the video to get it so play at 640x240p and then just resize it to 640x480p.
http://100fps.com/