Guide for *true* beginners to fighting games?

reference materials and general how-to information
onReload

Guide for *true* beginners to fighting games?

Post by onReload »

So,

Girlfriend is very new to fighting games, and wants to learn AE:2012 on her newly-acquired PS3. I know the truth of the matter is really simple, and that she has to just keep playing, but she only has access to online play and she doesn't think she's even ready for that yet. Since she's still new to handling an arcade stick + inputting/memorizing commands, I might be inclined to agree.

I've walked her through some of the tricks for inputs, and I can tell her which move does what and why, but I'm not always there, of course.

She wrote up a Google doc for herself, and asked for my additions. I (and one other guy, I think) threw in a few things I thought she was missing, but I'm not sure about the order just yet. I thought I'd share it with you guys and ask for input. Be advised: some of it is kinda silly.
Get competent with stick
practice doing Challenges
in Training Mode watch to make sure that I'm doing inputs correctly
Practice dashing, IE F.A.D.C
practice 50 hadoukens on each side, each day
practice 50 shoryukens on each side, each day
might be a good idea to practice b*f*HCB*f motions
more move-specific practice
When I can properly execute most special moves a few times in a row I'm ready to move on
>>I execute them perfectly in training but not in arcade mode under pressure /sadface

learn all normals
Observe, study research the normals
specifically, learn when to use each
practice using them appropriately
When I can accurately use the right normals at the right time, I can move on

learn special moves
Observe, study, research specials
learn when to use each + learn about “move properties”
practice using them appropriately
practice execution again if needed, make sure I can do them on each side
know when to use EX versions
pianoning if needed. http://tinyurl.com/av5ttx5
once special moves come out accurately, when i want them to, appropriately, i can move on

learn about focus attacks
why would you use level 1, 2, and 3, if ever?
learn about focus canceling, on hit OR block

Defense
practice blocking
practice punishing
remember to watch the other player, practice trying to predict his/her movements
practice throw teching
learn about cross-ups and how to defend against them
practice anti-airs
learn and apply options for wake-up game as defending character

Offense
learn wake-up games as attacking character
learn about footsies (this is more for after you memorize/learn inputs; it’s the philosophy of strategy:)
Cross ups (I guess but these were already on the list ;P )

learn some basic combos
learn about blockstrings
learn how to execute links (plinking if you need it)
learn some easy bread-and-butter combos
practice executing them
know when to use them
once i can execute them effectively i can move on (and learn more combos, repeat)

Ultras
practice ultra execution
know when it is safe to use
learn to combo into ultra - practice practice!

get technical!
learn frame data and its uses
practice footsies + strategy
enter tourneys, if even on a small scale
beat marc ‘cause he’s no good anyway
learn to embrace pain and burn it as fuel for your journey
option select?

I think at this point, when I’m comfortable with all of the above, I can start getting my ass kicked playing online (after getting my ass kicked playing with mumble friends and marc)
CPS2

Re: Guide for *true* beginners to fighting games?

Post by CPS2 »

Ah man I don't have much to add, other than its very cool your GF is into fighting games. My wife said she wanted to get into them the other day but I'm not sure if it's actually going to happen =P
onReload

Post by onReload »

Well, this isn't the first time she's started to learn; I'm not sure why she stopped the last time or so. Hopefully she sticks with it this time.

It's weird, I don't really remember how I started. I had button-mashed when I was really young, but it wasn't until college that I sat down and crammed my head with this stuff. If I could only remember which awesome GameFAQ I started with...
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

onReload wrote:Well, this isn't the first time she's started to learn; I'm not sure why she stopped the last time or so. Hopefully she sticks with it this time.

It's weird, I don't really remember how I started. I had button-mashed when I was really young, but it wasn't until college that I sat down and crammed my head with this stuff. If I could only remember which awesome GameFAQ I started with...
I learned how to play fighting games by getting my ass kicked in HDR while trying to get 100 wins in ranked... using T.Hawk.
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
error1

Post by error1 »

I would just say mash your best normal and have fun with it, everything else you can learn by playing. I started in sf2ce just doing jumpins and normal throws with zangief.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

It may make more sense to focus on maximizing fun, than on maximizing win. If she wants to grind on something, the long term payoffs of working on, say, playing the guitar, are much better.
ProjectSeoul

Post by ProjectSeoul »

Post is a bit old maybe your girl is already good by now :D but I thought I'd share this:

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?th ... f4.103038/

I literally played 5 minutes of SF4 (all iterations) but now that SF4AE is free on PS+ i'll be giving it a go. Maybe when I get a little better I can get someone to train me :p
onReload

Post by onReload »

oh, hey...thanks for the link.

Saw you in the UltraChen PSABR stream the other day, Mr. Seoul. Learn a lot?
ProjectSeoul

Post by ProjectSeoul »

Hey no problem. In PSASBR? I wasn't able to put my full attention to the UltraChen stream but it was awesome from what I was able to catch. I'll have to go through the archive. Omar and clockw0rk just did a stream tonight as well that was really really informative. They did a lot of Q&A about possible new features/re-balancing/random stuff.

If you are up for some PSASBR i'm always open to playing with people though it would be later at night for you mainlanders.
Buttermaker

Post by Buttermaker »

My advice to beginners is to use your own brain as much as possible. If all you do is follow guides and tutorials, you'll always be a follower.