Forum Feedback, Suggestions, Complaints, et cetera

stay up to date on what's going on
SlimX

Re: Forum Feedback, Suggestions, Complaints, et cetera

Post by SlimX »

Maj wrote:Hey guys, please do me a favor and don't quote the entire post above you just to reply. It bloats the entire database unnecessarily and slows things down. I totally don't mind if you need to quote parts of a post or a post that's a couple of responses above yours. But if you're replying to the last post in a thread, it's kinda pointless to quote them, no?
I agree.
"Man, you being proud of me got in the way, bitch!"
Maj

Post by Maj »

I'm a little sad you didn't quote yourself and say "Or do i??"

Missed opportunity :(
Maj

Post by Maj »

I updated the forum software and removed the old green "sonicboom" theme because it was starting to get outdated, with random missing pages and such. I found this official silver variant of the default "prosilver" theme called "prosilver_se" so i've made it the new default theme.

I just noticed there's half a dozen missing smilies on the right, so i'll look into that tomorrow. Let me know if you guys notice anything else broken.
sithlord

Post by sithlord »

Nice refreshing look Maj!
Maj

Post by Maj »

Thanks, glad you like it.

I think i fixed the missing smilies. I had to use phpBB's Support Toolkit to reparse BBCode, which took a while. Hopefully it didn't screw up anything else in the process. :geek:
krusan

Post by krusan »

Don´t know where to post this...
I´m the only one seeing lipstick ads and such as the last "news" in combovid.com? Is this intentional? Is there something we can do about it?
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

krusan wrote:Don´t know where to post this...
I´m the only one seeing lipstick ads and such as the last "news" in combovid.com? Is this intentional? Is there something we can do about it?
Seems Keiko's account has been hacked. Sadly it seems I can't delete someone else's post, so Maj will have to deal with it.
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
Maj

Post by Maj »

I got rid of those posts and disabled Keiko's account yesterday, but i'm not sure what to do next. There's a real chance the email address associated with the account was hacked too. Guess i'll just wait for a PM or an email or something.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Finally got the forum up and running again yesterday, and restored the familiar theme colors today. But i think some layout dimensions changed, so the logo gradient doesn't really match right anymore. If anyone wants to make a new one, i'm down to replace it. If there's more than one choice, maybe we can have a vote or something. If not, i'll try to fix it at some point when i can find time.

Anyway sorry the forum was down for so long. I'm not even sure how long it was. No one mentioned it to me, so it might have been a couple weeks/months before i even noticed. In any case, it was my fault. I hadn't updated the software in a while and i guess the database version got so out of date that it was no longer supported. Had to hassle tech support a few times to get it updated. The first time they said they couldn't do anything, then i tried some stuff on my own that didn't work, then i tried contacting tech support again and someone fixed it relatively quickly once the request got escalated. Kinda annoying but what can you do?
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Hi! From what I've seen it's been down since like the beginning of march, I've been quite busy so I forgot to bring it up.
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
Maj

Post by Maj »

Oh damn, i knew it was a couple months because that's when i first contacted tech support, but i didn't know it'd been that long. Tbh i thought i'd have to hire a php developer to help me fix it. Just couldn't find time to look into it further until the holiday break.

On the plus side, i think the forum is easier to read on mobile now. Although i noticed that the mobile version doesn't always redirect to the https address for some reason. I can look into that if anyone cares, but i don't think there's much here that needs to be encoded while sending. Anyway going directly to https://combovid.com/forums seems to work fine on mobile too.
Maj

Post by Maj »

I tried following up on the mobile https redirect issue yesterday. The hosting tech support guy enabled some settings and told me to check back in an hour or two, but it doesn't seem to have worked. Anyway i can dig into it some more if anyone cares, just let me know.