Forum Feedback, Suggestions, Complaints, et cetera

stay up to date on what's going on
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

I don't know if he's CPU only in any/all of the console versions though, I only know it's CPU only in the arcade version. It's not like anyone would really even notice if I hadn't said anything, his palette is just an off-color and his name is the same, hehe.
Looks like Jolly Ranchers & Baskin's Sherbet.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Hohoho, you see what I did there?
ShinjiGohan

Post by ShinjiGohan »

FYI I modded two of the sprite boxes for EX3 so I had a space for Bison 2 and Evil Ryu. Which were the 2nd player Ace settings and random select respectively.

I thought of taking out evil ryu or move him somewhere so the glitch select for Kairi in the jap version would be there.. .but AFAIK there is no differences between the two of them thus no need for 2 spots.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Xenozip. wrote:Hohoho, you see what I did there?
It's awesome that you took the time to make all the screenshots look cleaner, removing the cursors wherever possible. Also, great job on getting both Juni and Juli* on the SFA3 screen.

Haha, i'm afraid i can't give you credit for the SFEX3 or MvC2 screenshots though.

*No, i don't know which is which. Yes, that's why i cleverly wrote both. And i would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for this lame joke.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

I'm surprised you noticed that they looked cleaner before you noticed that I made the icons highlighted instead of dimmed where applicable (Garou, GG, BBB).

I also managed to leave out my main character and the boss character for Monster, ooh how I negative win.

Funny thing is, I have all of the CG art for EX3 and MvC2 on my HD, so I could have made fake char select screens myself, but lazy wins.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Actually i did notice the changes to GGXXr and the second BBB image, but not Garou.

To be honest, there are more now than i ever expected to see. Soon it might get a bit out of hand. Do you think it would be better to turn them into text links? I'll be clicking on that thread quite often, and other people probably will too. Should we be concerned with conserving bandwidth and cutting down loading time?
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

I like pictures. Pretty colors. I like scrolling through the list.

Fuck text links that means more clicking. Of course it's all on my HD so I could scroll through it there, but that's not the point.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Looking at them like that, I remember every character's name and what they look like in-game, except the ones in EFZ. I think I know most of their special moves too, hehe.

Also, added SS2.

I think I can take off SS4. The only two competitively played SS's are 2 and 5Sp, and 4 has all the characters that exist in 5Sp.

I suppose I should go hunting for AC.
Maj

Post by Maj »

One vote is good enough for me. They'll stay the way they are, and we'll review it again when/if we ever get to 50 images.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Maj wrote:One vote is good enough for me. They'll stay the way they are, and we'll review it again when/if we ever get to 50 images.
50 is easy as pie if anyone is insane enough to do the various KoF char selects.
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

I likw at as screenshots too btw... much easier to see and the loadtimes aren't long at all.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Quick update on the spambot situation: phpBB3 is one or two release candidate versions away from gold, so hopefully that'll happen before the end of the year. In the meantime, i've uploaded a robots.txt file to exclude memberlist.php and profile.php from search engine results. That way these annoying registrations won't actually help the soulless evil bastards responsible.
Maj

Post by Maj »

About three hours ago phpBB3 Gold was finally released. I'll probably give it about a week before i upgrade this forum, in case any weird bugs pop up.

In the meantime you guys can check out what phpBB3 forums look like. For one thing, the new default skin puts user info on the right and posts on the left, which i really don't like. I'll probably switch it back to standard unless you guys prefer feeling slightly disoriented. Let me know.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

I added a doctored GGXX:AC char select picture.

I'm working on a little something to take its place though.
Maj

Re: Forum Feedback, Suggestions, Complaints, et cetera

Post by Maj »

Well, here it is: phpBB3, installed and ready to go. What do you guys think?

I'll probably have to tweak a few settings along the way since there are so many new features, but that's ok.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

It's really hard to read and navigate around. Don't know if you'll ever get this message
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

It's gunna take some getting use to.
Maj

Post by Maj »

No officially supported forum skins/styles have been released yet, but i'll look into getting a few installed as soon as possible. Still not down with this post-on-the-left madness.

In the meantime i'm gonna delete that robots.txt file since this upgrade should fix our spam registration problem.
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

new board is all bubbly... heh. Not soo bad. just less plain.
Maj

Post by Maj »

One of the changes from phpBB2 to phpBB3 is that links no longer open in new windows. Forcing new windows to pop up is frowned upon in modern web design. So if you're used to previewing your posts to verify that your urls are working correctly, make sure to open those links in a new window or everything you typed will get wiped out.

Better yet, anytime you're about to click Preview or Submit, use ctrl+A -> ctrl+C as an insurance policy. That's just basic forum usage skills. It's saved me from lots of headaches in the past.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

My solution: I use Firefox.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Nobody is interested in making me do CvS2 combos? Or is it because everyone has started totally ignoring updates in that thread? To be honest, i couldn't blame anyone if that was the case.
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

I dont have enough points
Maj

Post by Maj »

Find a couple of obscure games and take some screenshots.
Maj

Post by Maj »

We've got like a dozen general info threads all over the place. I'm considering making a "Guides and Resources" forum. What do you guys think? I'm trying to keep the number of forum sections to a minimum cuz it would be a mistake to spread ourselves too thin, but i don't think one more is gonna kill us.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Feel free to move any of the threads I've started. I'm sure half of them are in the wrong section anyway.

On a side note, I was thinking of taking character sprites from in-game and making like group/crowd screens (like the Arcana Heart one), rather than having character select screens. But, I'd only do that if some one actually requested it for a particular game, because personally I already know every character on every one of the screens posted in that thread. I could probably tell you each of their b&b's and special moves, too. :p

Speaking of Arcana Heart, I have access to the Arcana cards images so I could also make a shot of those, since the Arcana you choose heavily effects what sort of abilities you have in-game (a lot like CvS2 grooves).

But yeah anyway, if some one has a request they should probably post it. I may or may not fill it myself but some one else might.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Sounds like a lot of work. I don't think it's necessary, unless the game doesn't have a proper character select screen. Maybe it would be cool for Samurai Shodown III/IV cuz of the Slash/Bust system. Maybe.

Btw thanks for the new screenshots. ST is missing Akuma though. Also if you get a chance to crop out the black bars around MK2, SFEX2+ and TMNT:TF, that'd be cool too. If you don't have time, don't worry about it.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Maj wrote:Sounds like a lot of work. I don't think it's necessary, unless the game doesn't have a proper character select screen. Maybe it would be cool for Samurai Shodown III/IV cuz of the Slash/Bust system. Maybe.

Btw thanks for the new screenshots. ST is missing Akuma though. Also if you get a chance to crop out the black bars around MK2, SFEX2+ and TMNT:TF, that'd be cool too. If you don't have time, don't worry about it.
The character graphics don't change with slash/bust though, except Nakoruru who uses a different pet/familiar/whatever, the only main visible difference is their palette. For grooves or modes or what-have-you that apply to everyone, I think taking a shot of the options serves the same purpose.

Hmm, the black bar in SF EX2+ is the same deadspace existing in CvS2 and Garou. But whatever, I'll crop it in a few minutes.
Mike Z

Post by Mike Z »

I waited a few weeks to try and decipher it myself, but for the life of me I can't figure out what the new icons mean. I got as far as "red means new posts" but some threads have been red for a long time. Threads I don't want to read that had new posts should go grey after I've visited the site once, right? Since they aren't technically "new" anymore. Also the little scrolling icon doesn't mean new even though it's eye-catching...or does it...
Also, on most other forums if there is a thread with new posts and you click the thread title, it takes you to the first post you haven't read. This one seems to take you to post 1 of the thread and you have to go to the last page yourself, which is annoying.

Maybe this is all me being dumb, but this skin makes everything a lot harder to understand.
Mike Z
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Red = unread. Not sure if there's a way to mark an unread thread as having been read though, aside from just clicking it.

To visit the most recent post from the thread listing you have to click that little tiny icon next to the person's name over on the far right (under "Last Post" column). It's alt text is "View the latest post".

Red star is threads you've posted in.

I dunno what the deal with the scrolly shit is. Probably something to do with activity. Like after a certain # of posts it gains the scrolly shit. Maybe 25 posts or something, I dunno.

Personally I'm pretty use to the layout now. Like I expected, it was weird and unfamiliar at first but now it's fine.