Fighting Game News and Speculation 2012-2014

stay up to date on what's going on
Maj

Fighting Game News and Speculation 2012-2014

Post by Maj »

Whoa, did we really get to July 4th without a Fighting Game News thread for 2012?

Seth Killian Joins Sony Santa Monica Studios

Looks like Seth is going to be consulting on Battle Royale! I heard some rumblings about this beforehand, but it was all super unconfirmed stuff, so i didn't want to waste anyone's time with empty rumors. Anyway, pretty awesome news. The game itself is very close to completion, but i'm sure Seth's feedback will be incredibly valuable, even at this late stage.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale E3 Trailer

Just mentioning this because i really like how our E3 trailer turned out. I love the single-highlight character silhouette action shots. The gameplay footage is pretty decent too, but man, it's really hard to get perfect shots of four-player free-for-all. We just end up recording 3-4 whole matches and looking for highlight clips, because trying to choreograph four players simultaneously is way too difficult, especially with tight marketing deadlines.
Doopliss

Re: Fighting Game News and Speculation 2012

Post by Doopliss »

JJBA HD!?

This is too good to be true, two JJBA games revealed in such a short amount of time?
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
onReload

Post by onReload »

It's for the 25th anniversary, so it would make sense to do everything now. Seems a bit scant though, like why do only Alessi and Mariah (Mahrahia) have specific challenges? No attack remembrance challenge for Anubis Polnareff, Chaka or Khan? No survival mode challenges? Maybe whoever was writing down all the achievements got caught before they could finish.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

onReload wrote:It's for the 25th anniversary, so it would make sense to do everything now. Seems a bit scant though, like why do only Alessi and Mariah (Mahrahia) have specific challenges? No attack remembrance challenge for Anubis Polnareff, Chaka or Khan? No survival mode challenges? Maybe whoever was writing down all the achievements got caught before they could finish.
Nah, that's a full achievement list. It's an arcade title after all, they can't have more than 20 achis iirc, and they currently have 12, so they couldn't really do that much more with it. Besides, the time freeze and blazing fists achis can only be performed by a few characters, right?
onReload wrote:Chaka or Khan?
Oh, now I understand their names XD

onReload

Post by onReload »

Yeah I guess that's true about time freeze (3 characters), and blazing fists is a few of 'em, but only a few...maybe 4 characters.

Maybe it'll have those side-screen achievements like 3s:OE and now Marvel Classics HD
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

onReload wrote:Yeah I guess that's true about time freeze (3 characters), and blazing fists is a few of 'em, but only a few...maybe 4 characters.

Maybe it'll have those side-screen achievements like 3s:OE and now Marvel Classics HD
I think that's Iron Galaxy's thing. CC2 is developing this, so I don't think we'll see that.

Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

Doopliss wrote:JJBA HD!?

This is too good to be true, two JJBA games revealed in such a short amount of time?
I mentioned how excited I am about this game to Chaosem, and, being that he's my video game sponsor, he told me, "You got it."

Aww man, it feels good to not have to buy fighting games to make combo videos for!
Making no profit since 1987...
Maj

Re: Fighting Game News and Speculation 2012-2013

Post by Maj »

Feels pointless to make a new thread after seven posts, so we may as well keep using this one. Who's hype for Battle High 2??
error1

Post by error1 »

wow that's really indie
Maj

Post by Maj »

Sadly, it's the only new fighting game on that list apart from Injustice.
error1

Post by error1 »

well TxSF is probably good for a near infinite amount of speculation, but I think we used it up two years ago
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

We also have JJBAASB. I'll definitely make a video for that once it's released, even if it seems to have a combo breaker atm.

Last_Window

Re: Chatroom 2014

Post by Last_Window »

Am I the only one hyped for Tekken 7 here?
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

There's nothing to be hyped about yet imo, I need some gameplay.

Last_Window

Post by Last_Window »

The only "recent" game I can play is Tekken 6 on my PSP, so hearing that 7 is coming to PC is enough to get me hyped. Also, they just said that it will be the end to the Mishima saga, so I highly doubt they will mess up such important entry on the series with bland gameplay.
pepopulo

Post by pepopulo »

I hope they use a pulished TTT2 engine, I think it's the best one of the saga
Nueva tecnología!!!
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Last_Window wrote:The only "recent" game I can play is Tekken 6 on my PSP, so hearing that 7 is coming to PC is enough to get me hyped. Also, they just said that it will be the end to the Mishima saga, so I highly doubt they will mess up such important entry on the series with bland gameplay.
I just can't hype a game like this without any details about the mechanics. Well, I can, but it dies down quickly since there's nothing to discuss really.

Maj

Re: Fighting Game News and Speculation 2012-2014

Post by Maj »

I'm pretty excited about the Mishima storyline conclusion. Hopefully it means they can finally construct a coherent timeline of what the Mishima storyline actually was, because it's pretty hard to keep track through seven (nine?) games of stalling and retcons. But overall i think it's an interesting story and i love Kazuya as a character, so i'm optimistic.

I'm sure the game itself will be gorgeous. New generation of consoles plus the new Unreal engine means everything will be crazy detailed and shiny. I doubt they'll change much gameplay-wise, but combat in Tekken has always felt pretty satisfying.

For gameplay innovation, i'm way more interested in what they'll do with Tekken X Street Fighter. And i always wonder which classic Street Fighter moves will look better by Namco than they did in SF4. I mean SF4 did a pretty decent job with most things, but i still think Hurricane Kick and Flash Kick look pretty terrible.
onReload

Post by onReload »

I'm also pretty excited for Tekken, since I'm usually too lazy to leave my computer chair, i'll try to get into it via PC
error1

Post by error1 »

Haven't played tekken since 5 pretty excited to see it come to a system I own
ihate_00

Post by ihate_00 »

error1 wrote:Haven't played tekken since 5 pretty excited to see it come to a system I own
.....kinda same here, although I did a play a bit of Tekken 6 on psp, but I would love it if I could get Tekken on my pc, which is my main mode of playing fighting games.....
.....btw, are you guys as hyped for 'Mortal Kombat X' as I am, or are you not expecting that much from it?.....
Persona

Post by Persona »

ihate_00 wrote:.....btw, are you guys as hyped for 'Mortal Kombat X' as I am, or are you not expecting that much from it?.....
I'm hyped lol. I liked MK9 so I'm curious what they'll be doing with 10.
onReload

Post by onReload »

I'm intrigued, not totally hyped yet. I don't care for the new character designs, really
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

The variation system is interesting, but after IGoU I'm not buying another NRS game.

pepopulo

Post by pepopulo »

It looks interesting,but I never liked the Netherealm games that much,MK9 did it for me, normal moves chiping was stupid, I mean some characters have long blockstrings that tage a huge chunk of life, that's not cool at all
Nueva tecnología!!!
Last_Window

Post by Last_Window »

I'm not a big fan of Mortal Kombat.
onReload

Post by onReload »

pepopulo wrote:It looks interesting,but I never liked the Netherealm games that much,MK9 did it for me, normal moves chiping was stupid, I mean some characters have long blockstrings that tage a huge chunk of life, that's not cool at all
I mean, do you find anything inherently wrong with that mechanic, or just the fact that some setups could take a huge amount of life? Like I think normals chipping is interesting, adds some weight to the pressure game, but yeah, some characters had ultra-stupid guaranteed chip strings
pepopulo

Post by pepopulo »

onReload wrote:
pepopulo wrote:It looks interesting,but I never liked the Netherealm games that much,MK9 did it for me, normal moves chiping was stupid, I mean some characters have long blockstrings that tage a huge chunk of life, that's not cool at all
I mean, do you find anything inherently wrong with that mechanic, or just the fact that some setups could take a huge amount of life? Like I think normals chipping is interesting, adds some weight to the pressure game, but yeah, some characters had ultra-stupid guaranteed chip strings
I think that it would be OK if they didn't do that much damage,or if the target combos didn't do chip damage,would make for a really interesting mechanic
Nueva tecnología!!!
ihate_00

Post by ihate_00 »

I guess MK9 wasn't really balanced as a fighting game but I still think it was far better than the previous games in the series since UMK3. I liked the combo potential and hoping for some more new addition to the system mechanics on MK10.
Most of all, it will be released on pc, which is always a plus point for a pc gamer like me :D
onReload

Post by onReload »

I was really pleased with MK9. I was a huge MK3/T fan, even way before I knew how complex and competitive fighting games could be. I picked up MK9 way after the hype (and constant patching) was over, and I thought it controlled really well and was really polished.

Also played a ton of Injustice, though I didn't like it as much. Got everyone at work into it, to the point where we'd be ignoring customers while playing it on the sales floor.

ihate, will you be playing Ultra on Steam? I'm onReload there, feel free to add me. We can try combo setups in online training mode n stuff