Article about Avoiding Computer Eyestrain

question anything pertaining to the craft
Maj

Article about Avoiding Computer Eyestrain

Post by Maj »

The March 5th issue of US News (laying around at my workplace) has an article called "Darn Those Screens" written by Christine Larson, with the subtitle "PDAs, Blackberrys - the little devices that rule our lives also play havoc with our vision. How to cope."

In the article it says that most people who use computers a lot "suffer 'computer vision syndrome,' a cluster of symptoms including headaches or neck aches, dry, irritated eyes, sensetivity to light, and blurred or double vision." It's mostly talking about how staring at computers for long periods of time sucks, and how small devices are making things worse. It says that "at its worst, the syndrome can cause serious - though temporary - vision problems" such as "a sort of muscle spasm in their eyes that makes it impossible to focus on faraway objects." Though giving your eyes a rest is usually enough, like a good night's sleep. Anyway it has some random tips so i figured i'd list them here.
Darn Those Screens article in US News magazine wrote:Follow the 20-20-20 rule. Studies show that people using computers tend to blink less frequently, which can contribute to dry eyes. Resting your eyes helps them stay moist, while focusing far away prevents them from locking into a close-up. "Every 20 minutes, take a 20-second break and focus on something 20 feet away," says Anshel.

Look down. It's easier to focus on reading material below eye level, so keep your PDAs and cellphones low, and make sure your computer monitor is set slightly below eye level.

Sharpen the image. If the screen's itty-bitty type makes you squint, don't bring it closer to your eyes. Instead, increase the font size, and consider antiglare films. Reducing glare can make the overall reading experience easier and may help more than larger type.

Check your glasses. Make sure your prescription is up to date. "If your glasses are off by just a little bit, that is much more likely to cause eye problems than you might guess," says Daum.
Jeffrey Anshel and Kent Daum are optmetrist dudes, of course. The reason i brought this up is cuz i always wondered if we blink way less when we play fighting games. If studies show that people blink less when reading, then we definately blink less when we're playing (or even watching) intense matches.
Mike Z

Post by Mike Z »

Blink less during matches?! People don't close their mouths, don't breathe, turn colors...there needs to be a game face documentary.

Mike Z
NKI

Post by NKI »

I second the movement for a game face documentary.