Got any questions about the MARVEL series?

talk about how great training mode is
wolverine-master

Re: Got any questions about the MARVEL series?

Post by wolverine-master »

Found some new infinites. Any questions?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

wolverine-master wrote:Found some new infinites. Any questions?
For whatever reason, I really enjoyed just seeing the 'splash' effect running up the screen.
wolverine-master

lol
error1

Post by error1 »

so how do you do the short hop? instant double jump? Does xsf really need any more infinates?
wolverine-master

Just saw this so sorry bout the late response. Instant double jumping was used for the midscreen headstomp infinite.
For the one rufus liked, I super jump cancelled lp and air dashed on the very first frame with lp. Off the top of my head, the only other character that I know of that can air dash one frame off the ground is storm.
error1

Post by error1 »

good to know
wolverine-master

Check this out guys.
Battousai

Post by Battousai »

How do throwboxes work? I'm looking at the hitboxes of some glitched throws, and it doesn't look like I thought it would. I thought the yellow was the area the character could grab, and the white area was the grabbable area.

In the first case, it looked as I expected, Akuma's yellow box was just barely touching Spiral's white, and she got thrown.

But with Sam, his yellow box isn't close to hers, although hers is touching his whitebox, and he is still able to throw her.

It could be my LUA hitbox script is outdated and they've gotten more accurate since then, but maybe I'm wrong about what the colors mean.

The bug is he's performing a ground throw in the air, because she switched him into the air during a grounded move, and it turns out there are some frames where you can grab them below you with your ground throw in the air if they are close enough.
error1

Post by error1 »

Dammit changed all the throw stuff recently, try the new script, you might need to use FBA-rr 0.0.7
code.google.com/p/mame-rr/source/browse/lua/
Battousai

Post by Battousai »

I see, thanks! I'll have to give it a try in Mame-RR and see how it looks with breakpoints.
wolverine-master

With MvC Origins around the corner, I'm going to start posting some MSH stuff that may or may not raise questions.
Hopefully, BTS can come in here and shed some light on the MvC1 side of things.
Here's my lastest vid: Practical Marvel Super Heroes Infinite Guide
wolverine-master

Double post 2 weeks later, woohoo MSH Revival
Maj

Post by Maj »

Is there any frame data available for the oldschool games like MSH? The SRK wiki for it is pretty empty.
error1

Post by error1 »

dammit made a lua script that can collect frame data from an emulator.
http://dammit.typepad.com/blog/2011/06/ ... vised.html
It isn't setup to work with MSH, but it might just be a matter of finding memory locations.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Whoa, nice. Who do we know that can find those memory locations? Is Dammit the only one?
error1

Post by error1 »

Finding the memory locations I might be able to do, I'll take a look.
error1

Post by error1 »

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/35396368/framedatamsh.lua

should work in msh now, be sure and test it's accuracy, seems close to me.
I couldn't find a hitstun value, so I'm using the active frames as a hit stun value, if you whiff it, it should show you the active frames, but if you hit it should be the hitstun + active frames. This screws up the recovery/hitstun numbers, but the fa should be right.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Cool, thanks dude! I actually ended up figuring out most of what i needed yesterday, doing it the boring manual way, but i'm sure this will come in handy sooner or later.
Ultima

Post by Ultima »

I don't have a question, but I wanted to post this since it's something I only learned about today from http://rq87.flyingomelette.com/RQ/Marve ... /game.html: Marvel Superheroes vs. Street Fighter has a visible stun meter! Apparently it's that green squares thing behind the timer. I have NEVER noticed this! I thought it was just part of the (ugly) UI! Upon learning this I immediately had to fire up FinalBurn to test it out myself, and it's true!

It's possible that this may be old news, but in the 16 years (!) that this game has been out, not only did I never notice this, I have never seen this mentioned online before stumbling across that site a few minutes ago randomly (I don't even remember what I was searching for originally, since the novelty of this discovery has pushed it completely out of my head). I figured it was highly probable that it's not generally known, so I posted it here, since I know you guys like obscure things like that. I know it's only MvSF, but hey. :p

However, if it is indeed common knowledge, please disregard.
error1

Post by error1 »

man, I don't think I knew that, and I've played that game way too much.
Ultima

Post by Ultima »

I've also played that game way too much. I have a soft spot for the game because it was my first Versus game, back when the prevailing attitude about the game and its ilk was "Versus Trash". I didn't want to play it at first, but it was the only fighter at my local laundromat in Long Island at the time (my main arcade for several years, which was actually really cool - while it generally only had one main game at a time, it got SF3 New Generation [first place I saw it], MSF, MvC1, SFA3, Vampire Saviour [first place I saw that too, and only place for years], and Third Strike; it also got MK4 and Power Stone but I didn't care about those) and I had to either play that or nothing. I knew nothing about the Versus games or the Marvel game since they didn't have them back in my country, so this was the first time I encountered one. I picked Dhalsim/Zangief as my team and stuck with that until I got good enough to beat everybody. And then we learned about Mech (Mega) Zangief and I absolutely loved playing as him, Cyclops and Omega Red notwithstanding. I bought the game for my Saturn and my roommates and I played that at home waaaaay late, like well into 2000, before we got MvC2 for Dreamcast and killed that game dead. Ah, memories

Yeah, I've definitely played it too much. Which is why finding out about the visible stun meter after all this time is so shocking for me.