Random Cool Stuff 2010

stay up to date on what's going on
Smileymike101

Re: Yo check this out yo

Post by Smileymike101 »

Yeah i also beat Daigo while i' skilless button mashing with my face.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

This is the manliest thing I've seen in a while http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj9WENV-qjs
Looks like Jolly Ranchers & Baskin's Sherbet.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Smileymike101 wrote:Yeah i also beat Daigo while i' skilless button mashing with my face.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE_u7TbUxM8
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

Xenozip. wrote:This is the manliest thing I've seen in a while http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj9WENV-qjs
I remember when someone did something like this with Heidern in 98um. Hahaha, i love how Maxima snaps the little bitch Bao neck.....
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Dark_Chaotix wrote:I remember when someone did something like this with Heidern in 98um. Hahaha, i love how Maxima snaps the little bitch Bao neck.....
LOL yeah, surprisingly entertaining.
onReload

Post by onReload »

Was at Summer Jam yesterday, going to be playing in 3s today, maybe CvS2. Probably shouldn't do either, as I'm totally and utterly broke, but...there's never a good tournament around here, and I've never done a real tournament.

If they stream 3s you can watch me get last place :D. Issei is a really nice guy, as are some of the other dudes I introduced myself to. As I figured, Ryder, a very good Abel player, used to play DDR/ITG back in the day at one of the same places I did. As it happens, he beat me in a tournament for a Taiko-styled arcade rhythm game called "Percussion Master," for which I still have a t-shirt and a completely non serious feeling of sore loserness (the guy who beat him and went on to 1st place could never take me I MEAN COME ON). I wish it were clean for today. He also plays Hugo, and also uses the LK costume (green) that I do. Hrm. At least Hugo mirrors can be fun. Justin is also over here, I don't look forward to playing him if I have to, even more so than Issei's Urien, just because it gets embarrassing eating the same poke over and over. With the other good players, I suppose my aim right now is "not last place, please."
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

West Coast loves Ryder.
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

Since you guys play SF, this guy I know that was / is on CX is making a megaman vs SF game. Its based on the old style 8bit graphics and it features Ultras like the sf4 game.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho ... =522703347

Thats his facebook page and has updates for the game. I find it quite well done since he making the sprites himself.

The latest updates shows himself playing dhalsim stage.
onReload

Post by onReload »

Magnetro wrote:West Coast loves Ryder.
Freakin' East Coast loves yelling his name
Maj

Post by Maj »

Did you enter? How'd you do?
onReload

Post by onReload »

I entered 3rd Strike as Hugo, first match I played was pretty silly, my execution is even worse than I remember; standing 360 punishes came out as jumping jabs, but the other guy also kept messing up his execution, kept doing Ken's F+HK fakeout kick. Next match was vs. Issei, he was playing Urien the whole tourney. I felt better about my Hugo that match, went for safer options, but once I was in the corner, it was nigh-impossible to get out. (2-0) I didn't feel bad about losing, because that time I felt like each move was intentional, though usually not very smart, and Issei was just better at the game. My match in losers' was against Sweet Johnny Cage, playing his Ken. I didn't punish properly, blocking his shoryukens then using cr.MP. I knew I should have been doing standing 360s or Palm Bombing if possible, but the latter only occurred to me just now. It went 2-1, I think I needed to use better punishes and safer approaches. I still felt all right, like I'd be fine with some practice. If I can ever get some. Kinda wanted to play Ryder, who was also using Hugo. Hugo mirrors are rare and interesting.

CvS2 I entered for fun using R4 K-Gief. My first match was pretty hilarious, a small gathering of people were watching just to look at the damage. I got him down to his R2 Sagat both times. First time, I almost killed him with the AA super after a blocked upper, bringing him down to a sliver, but then I messed up. Second time he was a bit smarter, so I was put in losers'. He did not seem happy about almost losing to a gimmick. I killed his R1 Morrigan in like 3 moves. Much later, my match against some guy with Haohmaru and I-don't-even-remember-who-else was just sad. Barely got past OCV, he was keeping Zangief the hell out. Don't know if I got a single SPD or super off. His next character didn't have much to deal with.

Oh also, was talking with Issei about 3s later, and I was asking if he did the dash-up headbutt unblockable setup (I didn't see him do it until later), and after talking about it for a little bit, he explained that you can't charge the entire 2 seconds, then try and partition; it simply won't work. You have to charge for maybe 60% of the time or so, then dash, recharge, etc. Was really nice to know as no tutorial has ever explained that to me. I think Justin's Elena beat him, then later he came out of losers' to beat him. It was kind of unfortunate, seeing the two of them not using their mains, but they knew they could have fun and experiment a bit. This kid KeninBlack, who I believe is 14 (!) was a decent Dudley, and money matched Issei $5 just to play his Yun.

There was definitely some rewarding stuff there, I just wished for two things: One, that it wasn't the last of my cash, and two, that SSF4 wasn't the centerpiece. I honestly would walk over to the TVs where people were cheering and freaking out, and I knew what was going on, but I just wasn't feeling it. Probably any other SF game and I'd be into it. Maybe people will remember who I am next time, if I can go to NEC or what-not.
CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

onReload wrote:Oh also, was talking with Issei about 3s later, and I was asking if he did the dash-up headbutt unblockable setup (I didn't see him do it until later), and after talking about it for a little bit, he explained that you can't charge the entire 2 seconds, then try and partition; it simply won't work. You have to charge for maybe 60% of the time or so, then dash, recharge, etc. Was really nice to know as no tutorial has ever explained that to me.
I never knew this until like yesterday :P

Been trying to figure out exactly how charge partitioning works, what the limits of it are etc, I might make a short video soon. Basically it appears that charge time is around 43 frames, and you can split that up in any way (e.g. 23/20, 40/3) as long as you don't go over the charge time at the beginning. You can go over the charge time at the end, but I need to figure it out in more detail. Also I'm not sure how big the gap can be. The most I've managed to do is a 40 frame gap between partitioned charges, but I have no idea exactly how I did it, doesn't seem to work unless the charges on either side are really specific. Also figured out that charges are stored for roughly 10 frames...

Once I fully work it out, I think charge partitioning will be pretty easy. I've always seen it as this really hard thing to do, and never really bothered too much with it. A couple of things I'm trying to find uses for, charge before jumping, jump forward and finish charging, land on either side and do a tackle or headbutt, or charge on one side jump over or cross under, charge in another direction and do tackle/headbutt.

It just looks cool to walk forward for 40 frames and tackle or jump over someone and tackle. I just have trouble figuring out how to use them in combos.

edit: here's a script for a 39 frame walking partition...
W44,_D_L.W39,^D^L_R.W39,DL^R.DL.DL.R4.W124

40 frames does work, but not consistently.
Maj

Post by Maj »

onReload wrote:CvS2 I entered for fun using R4 K-Gief. My first match was pretty hilarious, a small gathering of people were watching just to look at the damage.
Haha nice. Playing R4's in tournament is guaranteed to get you noticed every time. Zangief has some terrible matchups in that game though. Haohmaru isn't much fun, but mostly you just gotta be patient and find something to jump over, then kill him fast once you get in. Could be worse. Could be Sagat's standing fierce. That button owns Zangief's fat head for free.

CPS2 wrote:here's a script for a 39 frame walking partition...
W44,_D_L.W39,^D^L_R.W39,DL^R.DL.DL.R4.W124

40 frames does work, but not consistently.
Oh nice, you switched to commas. 39 frames of walking inbetween charges is insane. Can you tap DB for one frame and walk for another 39 frames?

(You should probably start a new thread for charge partitioning exploration.)

<3 charge trick scripts
onReload

Post by onReload »

Yeah I'm thinking I'm last in that tourney, I just wanted to have some fun, and it was cool to see CvS2 get somewhat of a turnout, with people actually knowing what they were doing. The dude just knew every Haohmaru poke for every thing I did, and I think he had Sagat lined up later anyway, but the first guy I played, in all honestly, was probably garbage, when you consider how far I got (even on his Sagat anchor). Has anyone done well with an R4?
Maj

Post by Maj »

Someone supposedly qualified for SBO using R4 Raiden once. I've never seen a screenshot to confirm it though.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Wasn't that Chikyuu in 2k3 or 2k4 that used R-4 K-Raiden? He used him at Evo so.. maybe he tried for SBO as well.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Nah i'm pretty sure it wasn't him. Might have been Desora though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC7Gh60A5Ik
onReload

Post by onReload »

Justin Wong and Issei play 3s while I look dirty and unamused.
Maj

Post by Maj »

They look worried. And camera guy should be standing where you're standing, but clearly he decided that asking wasn't worth the risk. Nicely done. Have you ever considered a career in bouncering?
onReload

Post by onReload »

I'm not as brogre-ish as i look in this photo really. I'd fly off the handle too much at guys smaller than me, and big guys would probably make me cry. But yeah it does look like I'm reffing this match tightly
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

Even the TV must be nervous with that look. lol.
Making no profit since 1987...
onReload

Post by onReload »

They actually played like it was casuals the whole time, Justin stuck to Elena which worked for him only a few times, and Issei seems to be picking up Urien. It was pretty calm, but I think a lot of people just wanted to see some good play. It was kind of funny, everyone seemed to talk to Issei as though he didn't speak English; real exaggerated-like and wide-eyed, but he was just a quieter guy. Justin, iluvujoe, Spooky, and many others all struck me as really short, which is weird, I'm only 5'11 (1.8 meters). I guess all those I Got Next movies used smarter angles.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Damn, this whole thing is fucking stupid, but i do have to admit i'm a little curious to see how many wins Justin actually got.

Still not watching this dumb reality show though. How's Justin gonna get eliminated anyway? Madden or swimsuit competition?

edit: Nevermind, the trailer is even worse than i imagined. American Gladiators lol.
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

Yeah, I was like "Whaaa?" For both the idea of the show, and the tally of Wong's wins.
Making no profit since 1987...
Maj

Post by Maj »

You can already tell it's going to be annoying. Every episode gets at least 20 forced dramatic pauses guaranteed. Then you get to the part where they actually play games, and they never show any games! During that whole Tekken montage, i couldn't figure out what i was supposed to be looking at.

I mean, at least show the last 10 seconds of the last round the player won, along with the last 10 seconds of the round they lost. There's gotta be some clutch moments in there that would be exciting to watch. Plus we might actually get a sense of how these people play.
onReload

Post by onReload »

christ. not only is that VO awful, so is the pacing. hard to sound more amateur.

at first i thought your "swimsuit" comment was just a cheap stab at wong, but nevermind. every time i feel like videogames take a step towards legitimization and respect, something like this show complements the progress.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Dude i don't care what they play, Justin's gonna smoke all those fools. It'll take some shenanigans to kick him out. Especially if the season finale is a fighting game match? Fray! (As his people would say.)

The problem is they apparently have "swing aimlessly on ropes" and "crash real cars into cameras" challenges in addition to video game challenges. Does that kid even drive? Justin's weakness: IRL. Stay tuned!

I mean i'm vaguely curious to see how far he gets, but not enough to watch this train wreck of an atrocity.
error1

Post by error1 »

I can't stand any type of reality show
playing a fighting game vs the computer is pretty stupid, specially Tekken. I bet Justen just spammed one safe high damage move over and over, I know that's what I'd do. It's obvious it's not about the games and the writers and directors don't know anything about games, it's going to be about drama like all reality shows, except you get kicked off the island for not being able to beat a xbox at Tekken.
Don Vecta

Post by Don Vecta »

error1 wrote:I can't stand any type of reality show
playing a fighting game vs the computer is pretty stupid, specially Tekken. I bet Justen just spammed one safe high damage move over and over, I know that's what I'd do. It's obvious it's not about the games and the writers and directors don't know anything about games, it's going to be about drama like all reality shows, except you get kicked off the island for not being able to beat a xbox at Tekken.
Heh, sometimes the CPU harder difficulty in Tekken allows you to do some easy win shenanigans. I.E. Anna's df 3 1 4 2 4 string on block it's your key to win since the last sweep kick ALWAYS hits, not add a tech trap combo with d 1+2 and yeah, easy win. I could have done that for ages. WHOA~! So awesome!
Keiko

Post by Keiko »

I lol'd so hard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKxPeod8pvY

Dont even bother to watch this movie if you're a KOF Fan, seriusly.
「切ない想いを受け止めて」
SFZ2 Blog