Fighting Game News and Speculation 2011

stay up to date on what's going on
Maj

Re: Fighting Game News and Speculation 2011

Post by Maj »

He's kind of backed himself into a corner over the years. It's unfortunate, but at this point he doesn't have a lot of room to maneuver without sounding like a hypocrite, so a lot of the viewpoints he takes are painfully predictable.

I'm not even sure what to do about it honestly. I don't like HDR, so it seems like i end up talking smack about him an awful lot (much like the rest of the internet). But the only alternative would be to email him a list of things i think he's done wrong, purely for the sake of "telling him to his face" but that just seems like pointless negativity.

I don't think he even goes to Evo anymore, so i'm probably never gonna run into him again. But if i do, i guess i could just tell him then. Like, "Nothing personal but i think you killed Super Turbo and that's not cool."

I mean i feel bad about it, but then again we talk shit about all those other crappy console versions of ST, so why should Sirlin be spared just because we happen to know his name? It's nothing against him - i hope his card games are successful and he's happy doing whatever he's doing. I just wish the version of ST he'd produced for CCC2 wasn't utter garbage before he went on to replace Super Turbo with Sirlin Fighter.
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

Lol...

I agree with most of you guys above. It good to finally have a 3s which is arcade perfect.

I do like this comment that was left on SIrlin page
Your comparison to Star Craft is flawed. Star Craft 2 is an actively supported game and regularly receives updates, which makes it more comparable to Street Fight IV. Brood War, on the other hand, hasn't received a patch in over 10 years and it's still the most popular game/sport in Korea. The balance of races in the game has changed constantly over the years as new strategies and metagame shifts are discovered. If Blizzard decided to rerelase Brood War do you think they would rebalance the game and undo 10 years of theory and risk alienating their entire fan base? No, they would not and that is why they made Star Craft 2.

Let's look at Chess. It's generally accepted in Chess that White has an advantage over Black and it's theorized that if Chess were ever solved then the best that Black could ever do is force a draw. Every time a new strategy is discovered that gives Black an advantage within a few years White will have developed ways to neutralize that advantage. Because of this many people have attempted to create new versions of chess with altered rules, altered pieces, and altered boards. Be it 3-D Chess, 4 player Chess, or even Bughouse Chess none has ever been accepted as more than a brief diversion to explore when temporarily bored with Chess.

3rd Strike is, essentially a dead game. The only people that still play it are the hardcore fans and they're the ones that are going to still be playing 3sOE once the casuals give up on it and move on to other, newer games. If Capcom were to rebalance the game then they would risk alienating all the hardcore fans and then who would they be left with to play the game?

August 22, 2011 | Unregistered Commenter名無し
Anyways, after reading his "play to win" article a few years back I dislike the guy from there. Maybe he should take a leaf from his own book and learn how to beat chuns / yuns etc (assuming he plays the game which i doubt)
Maj

Post by Maj »

That comment is awesome. It sums up with happened to HDR perfectly. It was a "new" game so it made a couple of Evo appearances, but turnout dwindled and it was absent at Evo2k11. There's no way HDR will ever headline Evo again.

Now the community is divided between ST and HDR. And of course, the vast majority of oldschool players don't like HDR so who's left to play the game? Doing that to a 15-year-old classic was completely short-sighted. But i don't expect Sirlin to ever admit that. Anyway it's a waste of time to argue with him because he's not working at (or anywhere near) Capcom anymore, so he can't keep hurting our games no matter what he believes.
AquaTeamV3

Post by AquaTeamV3 »

onReload wrote:The thing with a rebalance is, I'd be interested to see what changes they'd go with...
Ever play CFE? The 3S characters pretty much represent what Capcom would have done if they were to make changes from where they were in 3S. Chun got nerfed HARD, losing those priority normals and pretty much falling to the near-bottom (like Sean from 2I-to-3S). Urien lost his unblockable and Metallic Sphere juggle capability, but still remained strong. Yun was still pretty good despite the fact that Genei-Jin wasn't in the game, and Alex got buffed quite a bit. Obviously CFE isn't a 3rd Strike sequel, but it does give you that "what-if?" scenario of Capcom tweaking the 3S cast.
Dark_Chaotix wrote:Anyways, after reading his "play to win" article a few years back I dislike the guy from there. Maybe he should take a leaf from his own book and learn how to beat chuns / yuns etc (assuming he plays the game which i doubt)
Huh. Thinking about it now complaining about the balance does contradict the whole "playing to win" mentality. I mean, I like those articles and all, but complaining about the tier list when playing a lower-tiered character is pretty petty, it just comes with the territory like any other fighter.
Maj

Post by Maj »

In fairness, the tier structure of 3S does warrant legitimate complaints. Chun and Yun are seriously problematic. Everyone agrees on that, and we don't need Sirlin stating the obvious. But let's not ignore that and act like everything's fine. The truth isn't that 3S is perfect the way it is. The reality is that rebalancing 3S would do more harm than good.

As a 3S player, your best bet for carving out your own space is saying, "We know the game isn't perfect but it isn't nearly as unbalanced as people who don't play 3S are exaggerating, and at any rate we like getting divekicked."

Once you fall into the trap of defending Yun and Chun, you tend to get yourself in trouble. You can't please everyone, so pick your battles.
onReload

Post by onReload »

I feel that 3rd strike offers nice playstyle variety with its characters; so even if winning with Hugo or Alex or whoever is hard, it's still a lot of fun.

Also, uh, Maj - the divekick thing, about that...you know you can press f to parry, right? It's pretty useful but not too many people take advantage of it
Maj

Post by Maj »

I know, but you get the point. We can change it to "getting Genei Jinned three times a round" for more accuracy. Nice fancy f though! I didn't know it got all curvy like that in italics.
onReload

Post by onReload »

I was just messing with you and the "3rd Strike: I <3 Divekicks in My Face" t-shirts you've printed up for us
CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

I'd rather have BB3.
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
AquaTeamV3

Post by AquaTeamV3 »

Man, Capcom's getting really good at making these SFxT teasers hard to follow. I want to say it's Rolento (the belt would be a dead giveaway), but then that basketball shows up. Either Sean got a new look or Rolento's got a new hobby...
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Iirc, the parry stage is a part of Metro City. Either way, that's Definitely Rolento though, no doubt.

Buttermaker

Post by Buttermaker »

His A2 stage is even in there.
Dammit

Post by Dammit »

If anyone's looking for BGM ideas for a SFxT combovid, some of the original tracks in the Namco X Capcom soundtrack are pretty good:

http://vgmdb.net/album/2438
AquaTeamV3

Post by AquaTeamV3 »

Yo, Steve's super just built a bar of meter in itself. XD Either it's a programming oversight or an interesting character perk.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Probably just an oversight.

Appparently lupinko said that SFxT would have a larger roster than UMvC3... somehow I find that hard to believe. However, if they reveal 4 characters per month until release, it adds up quite nicely.

Also, online training mode confirmed... so now we can brainstorm for combos together!

error1

Post by error1 »

that four player mode looks like a goldmine
I think that's what you are going to see me playing online, constantly dragon punching :)
Really I could add the full AE roster in a week, you would only need to change the chain combos and stuff, so it doesn't surprise me that they will have a large roster
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

error1 wrote:that four player mode looks like a goldmine
I think that's what you are going to see me playing online, constantly dragon punching :)
Really I could add the full AE roster in a week, you would only need to change the chain combos and stuff, so it doesn't surprise me that they will have a large roster
Thing is, for every AE character they add, they'll need to add a brand new Tekken character.

AquaTeamV3

Post by AquaTeamV3 »

http://shoryuken.com/2011/10/07/sfxt-ne ... game-show/

Juri/???/Mika are pretty much confirmed. I can't tell who that purple lump is supposed to be in the middle (Gen?).
CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

It's pretty dodgy how they use images from SF4 in these SFxT teasers. It's not really the same as using random SF2 images because SF4 and SFxT share a LOT of the same assets, and showing metal Gief, Dan, DeeJay, Juri, Viper or Balrog etc just makes people think that these are all going to be in SFxT, rather than hints at something else entirely.

Starting to get more interested in this but I really wish they'd replace the entire soundtrack :?
AquaTeamV3

Post by AquaTeamV3 »

Yeah, if you notice only one character in each set uses a SFxT background. Juri and Mika use it, and in Mika's case they certainly wouldn't render an all-new character model as a red herring. The purple blob in the second vid is still a mystery, though. I agree on the soundtrack bit; the only song that sounds good is the Final Fight remix in that one stage. This techno stuff as a whole that I see in newer games just doesn't appeal to me.
wolverine-master

Post by wolverine-master »

Devastation finals was awesome
Maj

Post by Maj »

Does anyone know anything about Card Sagas Wars? Is the game available to play anywhere? I only found out about it yesterday, but seems like it's been ready to go for ages. Where can i find a playable build? (Sorry, i'm usually completely out of the loop on these things.)
AquaTeamV3

Post by AquaTeamV3 »

I've been looking into it myself, but apparently there was never a playable build released. The game's been in development for a couple of years, but no demo yet. Kind of a shame, since their rendition of Megaman X looks amazing!

Also, Phoenix Wright looks to be one of the most interesting characters I've ever seen in a fighting game.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Ah i see, thanks. Well, if you hear anything about a playable build release, please post a link. I'd love to try it out. Their assist roster is out of control!
onReload

Post by onReload »

http://shoryuken.com/2011/10/20/atlus-l ... regionals/

Oooh. Throwing money at some of the less-convinced people might actually help KoF's popularity in the U.S. I hope it goes well and they sponsor a few more tourneys...I would definitely be happy for SNKP/Atlus, and the scene of course
AquaTeamV3

Post by AquaTeamV3 »

Man, it's amazing how many toys they gave Ryu in Ultimate! (Be sure to check the video response too) A speed up mode that lets him do links (including after Hadoukens), all kinds of wild supers; this is probably the most MUGEN-esque they've made any SF character in a Marvel game.
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

He lived a good life, he was ethical, humble, and intelligent. Great sense of humor, and incredible morals. Joshua Colon may have only been 20, but he lived more than a lot of us will.
Making no profit since 1987...