Fighting Game News and Speculation 2011

stay up to date on what's going on
onReload

Re: Fighting Game News and Speculation

Post by onReload »

Haven't been watching the stream, but from the trailers, it looks like Street Fighter IV Koryu Edition...I'm not really joking, the animations are sillier, the meter management seems to be lessened and normals juggle in a strange way.

...so I'm interested.
AquaTeamV3

Post by AquaTeamV3 »

3rd Strike Online Info Part 1:

http://www.thedailydl.com/the-rundown-o ... ke-part-1/

Part 2:

http://www.thedailydl.com/the-rundown-o ... ke-part-2/

This is astounding! The amount of effort Capcom put into this really shows, and this may just be the most polished fighter (in terms of features) that I've seen, period. The EVO Moment #37 trial is pure gold. Now all we need is a PC release and I'll be all set. :D
onReload

Post by onReload »

Joystiq Article wrote:For those of you who love Street Fighter 3, Killian informed me that the new port is based on "Version A" of the arcade code, which he said was the preferred chipset for the fighter among tournament players, despite the existence of later, rebalanced versions. The unblockables left intact in this version "make the characters much more interesting," Killian said, "and more deadly."
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

I didnt know that they were revisions to 3s. What unblockables were taken out (Urien?) and what other changes were there.
CPS2

Re: Fighting Game News and Speculation 2011

Post by CPS2 »

Oro's unblockables too, with yagyou. Not sure what else is different...
onReload

Post by onReload »

Some minor bug fixes like if 2P picked Yang, when going to highlight his SAII, you'd see "SA1 - Magnetic Storm", and then there's the glitch where if Ken uses his neutral throw to K.O. 2P Makoto on the final round, it locks up the machine; i imagine they'll be taking those bugs out.

There's a few other, minor changes, but the important thing is the unblockables (characters must block projectiles from the direction they came in)
Maj

Post by Maj »

Whoa, Goryus is the producer for 3rd Strike Online? Nice!

When are we gonna see a Makoto combo video trailer? I bet this game is going to have all kinds of crazy combo challenges. Get 'em, get 'em.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

I'm actually hyping 3SO, something I never thought I would do.
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
error1

Post by error1 »

I don't really get why people are excited to rebuy a 12 year old game they have probably bought twice already.
Sure all the challenges and stuff look great, and I guess it's really important for some people to play it online.
I'm really tired of capcom selling the same game a billion times like they always do.
Capcom is a bad as Nintendo with this stuff
[goes and plays some sfa1]
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Challenges are everything!

Maj

Post by Maj »

The main reason the casual crowd is excited is because they've heard a lot about that time Daigo sparkled nonstop for three whole minutes which is a really long time in fighting games or so they're told.

And because they don't own a system that 3S is currently available on. See also: SF2HF and MvC2 remakes selling a kajillion copies.

The main reason the SRK 3S crowd is excited is because of the tacit implication that 3S could be at Evo once again.
CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

Maj wrote:Whoa, Goryus is the producer for 3rd Strike Online? Nice!

When are we gonna see a Makoto combo video trailer? I bet this game is going to have all kinds of crazy combo challenges. Get 'em, get 'em.
I had a feeling it was him because Gootecks said on cross counter that the producer qualified for SBO in Blazblue. Game is looking really nice, I like the idea of parry challenges mimicking actual match situations n stuff. And it's good to have the option of unfiltered sprites with scanlines :)
AquaTeamV3

Post by AquaTeamV3 »

error1 wrote:I don't really get why people are excited to rebuy a 12 year old game they have probably bought twice already.
Sure all the challenges and stuff look great, and I guess it's really important for some people to play it online.
I'm really tired of capcom selling the same game a billion times like they always do.
Capcom is a bad as Nintendo with this stuff
[goes and plays some sfa1]
If anything else, I'm pretty hyped about it because I feel that this game might set the standard for future fighting game releases. They fixed the button config issue, it's got GGPO built it, lots of extra content, and they even went as far to add YouTube match sharing. I have this game on PS2, but I'd easily drop $15 should they release this on PC (which they should since it's being nixed from GGPO). I wouldn't mind a few other older titles getting the same treatment, such as Alpha and some of the older Marvel titles.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Has there been any news regarding extra costumes for SSF4 Arcade Edition? Or does the Ultra Costume Pack count as AE's allotment?
onReload

Post by onReload »

Maj wrote:The main reason the casual crowd is excited is because they've heard a lot about that time Daigo sparkled nonstop for three whole minutes which is a really long time in fighting games or so they're told.

I have passed out laughing, how i'm typing this is a mystery
Buttermaker

Post by Buttermaker »

error1 wrote:I guess it's really important for some people to play it online.
That's by far the biggest draw.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Yeah in fairness, there's a lot of reasons to look forward to it. I mean, they could just repackage the game with no new features and crappy netcode, which is what they did for Hyper Fighting. But that's a worst-case scenario which none of us expects to happen.

If you're willing to be a little optimistic, you can hope for updated/upscaled graphics, new Training Mode features, new gameplay modes like challenge mode, interesting achievements/trophies, artwork galleries, solid netplay, an online ranking system, and just an overall convenient arcade-perfect version of the game to play against friends locally. Plus that new u2b upload feature sounds interesting. Plus it's generally exciting hearing tournament organizers buzzing about possibly running 3S at their streamed events.

If all of this stuff turns out to be poorly-executed marketing babble, then the game will be overpriced garbage. But obviously the people who are excited about it expect everything to live up to its full potential, and there's no reason not to give Capcom the benefit of the doubt here. They tend to do a pretty good job when they care.

At any rate, 3SOE is a hell of a lot more intriguing than PS1 versions of old SF games rehashed through XBLA/PSN with zero new features.
Don Vecta

Post by Don Vecta »

So... FF1's Billy Kane confirmed for KOF XIII console version.

Raine

Post by Raine »

Nice to see they are adding extra characters (apparently DLC according to a friend who tried to translate the blurry JP). Can't say I'm particularly excited about Billy though...
onReload

Post by onReload »

I never learned how to use him, but I guess I''ll try to now...his intro lines have always made me laugh, anyway.

I want Rugal's daughter (the hostess of XIII) and Yamazaki to be in it - Yamazaki has that WANTED poster in the England stage, on the rightmost bus.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Billy was all kinds of badass that one time he stopped a bullet in someone's ending in KoF96 or '97.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

If Yamazaki is in it, I might buy it.

Persona

Post by Persona »

Now I know which character I'm gonna make a combo video for first when the game gets released. :D

Add in Yamazaki and Blue Mary and I'll have my fav KOF team of all time back in.
onReload

Post by onReload »

Oooh, a Fatal Fury team, eh? I dunno, do you guys think they'll add teams? For KOF XI, they just had secret characters hidden off to the sides, with no teams...also why do they write his name as pronounced "Billy Kahn"? with the カ...do the japanese call him that ever?

...and back on 3SOE:
Maj wrote:At any rate, 3SOE is a hell of a lot more intriguing than PS1 versions of old SF games rehashed through XBLA/PSN with zero new features.
this is true, but dude, did you notice something in the IGN gameplay videos? Street Fighter III: Third Strike - E3 2011: Ryu vs. Makoto The BAG, MAN! IT DOESN'T GET KNOCKED OVER, EVEN AT 0:35. ARCADE PERFECT MY ASS
Persona

Post by Persona »

Yep, ironically my fav KOF team is an all FF team. I like them as an overall appearance as a 3 member team; Tall sadistic psycho leading a team with a short hot woman and a cocky loud mouth guy (them three are kinda taking advantage of each other so it makes the team pretty amusing). But story-wise this team is never going to get back together. Don't really like playing them though unless it's Orochi Saga Mary or RB version Billy.

I'm assuming if it's going to be a team, it's going to be Yagami 95 team since classic Iori data was already on the XII disc. And since it seems almost every character in XIII is in their oldschool form, I'd assume it would be that way.
error1

Post by error1 »

onReload wrote:The BAG, MAN! IT DOESN'T GET KNOCKED OVER, EVEN AT 0:35. ARCADE PERFECT MY ASS
that's a huge blunder, maybe they just changed the bags stamina rating so it takes a super to knock it down
AquaTeamV3

Post by AquaTeamV3 »

onReload wrote:this is true, but dude, did you notice something in the IGN gameplay videos? Street Fighter III: Third Strike - E3 2011: Ryu vs. Makoto The BAG, MAN! IT DOESN'T GET KNOCKED OVER, EVEN AT 0:35. ARCADE PERFECT MY ASS
Psh, you're worried about the bag? I'd be more worried about the fact that the music no longer shifts smoothly between rounds. It just stops after the first round and picks up the new song in the next round. That's so tacky. :?
CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

Possible new arika non-sf... ex game on 3ds...
http://www.the-magicbox.com/1107/game110701b.shtml
error1

Post by error1 »

yeah I saw that
I think it looks really bad considering you have a full graphiced ssf4 running on the same system, and these graphics seem teken 3 quality
CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

hm i just found out it's a tech demo for cell phones, they mislabelled it on their site or something... not even sure if it'll turn into anything.