Editing Q&A

question anything pertaining to the craft
error1

Re: Editing Q&A

Post by error1 »

vdub can work with mp4s you just need to make an avs script first
make a txt file with the following and save it to something.avs

Code: Select all

DirectShowSource("C:path to the mp42009_11_14_21_46_31.MP4")

#deinterlace
#crop
#resize
#denoise
ConvertToYV12()
Try opening that in vdub. I find Vdub mod has more options for avs files but base vdub should be able to make an uncompressed avi out of it.
Now is a good time to trim it, just add the line trim(x,y) to the file where x and y are the range of frames you want to keep.
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

Im having a problem editing my vid. Its in 1920x1080 goes for bout 4mins and is like 300+mbs. Its h264 codec and mp4 container, yet when I use a program to recode it the vid doubles in length... Why is that??? The size of the file in like 100+mb at 720p but wtf is the go with the length?
CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

I've been using mediacoder to convert videos, occasionally with some settings I noticed it can double the length and play in slow motion for some reason, but when I mess around with the settings it's back to normal. Usually it stuffs up when I mess with the resolution and aspect ratio. Lower resolutions (under 720p) seem to have less problems for me.
error1

Post by error1 »

could have to do with frame rate. If you have a 30fps intro and you put a 60fps video on the back of it, it may think it's all 60fps.
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

All my stuff is 30fps and when i replay it the first 4mins is fine and no desync. Then you get a black screen (or a screen of what was shown last) for the rest of the vid and you can hear everything again.

I tried mucking around with res, audio and codecs and it comes out all the same results.

AH this is doing my head in...
Smileymike101

Post by Smileymike101 »

Not exactly an editing question, but being this is a multimedia project Q&A and i have no ideea where else to post, i'll ask here:
I know I can't contribute to combo vids because i am unable to capture directly from the game, and only my with my camera which produces low quality footage.And i cant run SF4 on my PC, neither can i afford a new one.Is there a way to capture footage from my PS3 with my PC or something?Or is there a way to make the camera footage look batter?I would love to be part of some project, but i cant with this hella low quality footage.
error1

Post by error1 »

the normal method is to use a capture card. I don't have one of those so I'm not a good person to talk about it. Another possible method is to get a dvd recorder. The disadvantage with the recorder being using up dvds and the quality not being hd.
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

Smileymike101 wrote:Not exactly an editing question, but being this is a multimedia project Q&A and i have no ideea where else to post, i'll ask here:
I know I can't contribute to combo vids because i am unable to capture directly from the game, and only my with my camera which produces low quality footage.And i cant run SF4 on my PC, neither can i afford a new one.Is there a way to capture footage from my PS3 with my PC or something?Or is there a way to make the camera footage look batter?I would love to be part of some project, but i cant with this hella low quality footage.
If you can save up for this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hauppauge-HD-PVR-Hi ... 335a07e007

Then you can capture from ps3 and xbox360. This is what i use for my captures and its goes up to 720p.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAiUHveiwDQ

This is an example and this is a LQ version. It definately worth all the buy, but its threw component from the unit and tv, not hdmi so have to get a good set of those cables. It took me ages to get a official sony component cable just to make sure it works properly cos the previous ones didnt and would flicker on and off from the unit.
CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

DC, what did you end up using to convert the h264 mp4s? So far I've tried All to AVI, but it seems really slow, like it would take all day maxing out my CPU to convert a 5 minute video... Also tried vdub and vdubmod using the file that error1 mentioned, I renamed the path to the video location, but it comes up with an error (lol) "AVI import filter error." The only way I've been able to do it, is to open up the file in Quicktime Pro, and export as an AVI. It works, but everything looks really grainy.
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

Ah, i found a nice software that helped with that. Its easy and simple to use and didnt strain my comp at all. Mind you I do have a core2 duo PC but if you have something similar im sure it will be ok.

Ill hook you up with it.
onReload

Post by onReload »

Christ, using After Effects is weird...it's got some menu stuff that caters to users of other Adobe products, which kinda makes it feel less like film editing software, but some of the stuff I took for granted in Final Cut Pro is very much needed. I just figured out how to expand my 'composition' so I can work with a larger timeline, and my damn trial is up so I can't expand that, hahaaa...and I still have got to figure out how to set in and out points for simple cutting (razor tool in FCP, so easy), and in and out points for the RAM preview, 'cause that takes so damn long to prerender just so I can get a feel for the timing of the first four seconds of a clip. FCP just previewed in real time, skipping frames if the video wasn't rendered...timing music and text is hard when your program wants to preview it at 38 frames instead of 60...

I'll have to get back to it tomorrow - if I keep trying to finish even this tiny little project, I'll be up for hours...but I'm glad I'm finally exploring this stuff.
error1

Post by error1 »

whats with all this gee you eye editing, why I edit my videos just fine using notepad and a little elbow grease
CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

If I trim a video with megui, how do I get the audio to sync up? I tried adding a delay in miliseconds (after calculating how much of a delay I thought it needed) but that didn't work.

edit: hm i guess i get the mp3 by itself, and put that in with the avs script for the video into vdub, and try to line it up and then render it... is that how it's usually done?

edit2: i think i figured it out, I can use audio with the avs script as well. For some reason I had "audio = false" in the script which was screwing me up. I deleted that and it seems ok now.
error1

Post by error1 »

yeah, the avs script creator puts a lot of useless stuff, like audio=false beacuse it's safer then putting audio=true
audio=true can give an error if you are combining a video without audio.
adding a ms delay when making the mp3 should work, I've used it before

all your script really needs is.
Avisource("vid.avi").trim(150,2030)
ConvertToYV12()

Avs is really powerful and can do basically anything
There is also a completely different way to write avs scripts that's similar to C++
This is my avs script for http://youtu.be/ttzAoOJHMN4
og=AVISource("double boom training.avi")
vid1=og.trim(1,49).ChangeFPS(60).subtitle("HOW DO YOU COMBO TWO SONIC BOOMS?", align=5, font="Mortal Kombat 3", size=30, text_color=$ffffFF).ssrc(48000)
vid2=og.trim(49,80).AssumeFPS(10,true).ChangeFPS(60).subtitle("A lot is happening so let's take this slow", align=8, font="Mortal Kombat 3", size=30, text_color=$ffffFF).ssrc(48000)
vid3=og.trim(80,248).ChangeFPS(60).subtitle("A lot is happening so let's take this slow", align=8, font="Mortal Kombat 3", size=30, text_color=$ffffFF).ssrc(48000)
vid4=og.trim(248,300).AssumeFPS(15,true).ChangeFPS(60).subtitle("It takes 50 frames to charge a sonic boom", align=8, font="Mortal Kombat 3", size=30, text_color=$ffffFF).ssrc(48000)
vid5=og.trim(300,304).AssumeFPS(2,true).ChangeFPS(60).subtitle("Absorbing gives a little more time", align=8, font="Mortal Kombat 3", size=30, text_color=$ffffFF).ssrc(48000)
olay6=og.trim(304,315).ShowFrameNumber(x=300, y=100, font="SSF4 ABUKET", size=90, text_color=$ffffFF).crop(375,0,0,0)
vid6=og.trim(304,315).overlay(olay6, x=375).AssumeFPS(5,true).ChangeFPS(60).subtitle("CHARGE TIME", x=200, y=60, font="Mortal Kombat 3", size=30, text_color=$ffffFF).ssrc(48000)
olay7=og.trim(315,358).ShowFrameNumber(x=300, y=100, font="SSF4 ABUKET", size=90, text_color=$ffffFF, offset=11).crop(375,0,0,0)
vid7=og.trim(315,358).overlay(olay7, x=375).AssumeFPS(5,true).ChangeFPS(60).subtitle("CHARGE TIME", x=200, y=60, font="Mortal Kombat 3", size=30, text_color=$ffffFF).ssrc(48000)
vid8=og.trim(359,359).AssumeFPS(1,true).ChangeFPS(60).subtitle("Foward is pressed and chargeing ends here", align=8, font="Mortal Kombat 3", size=30, text_color=$ffffFF).ssrc(48000)
olay9=og.trim(360,368).ShowFrameNumber(x=300, y=120, font="SSF4 ABUKET", size=90, text_color=$ffffFF).crop(375,0,0,0)
vid9=og.trim(360,368).overlay(olay9, x=375).AssumeFPS(1,true).ChangeFPS(60).subtitle(
"charge for the second sonic boom is startedn" +
"before the first one is inputted",
lsp=10,align=8, font="Mortal Kombat 3", size=30, text_color=$ffffFF).ssrc(48000)
olay10=og.trim(369,369).ShowFrameNumber(x=300, y=120, font="SSF4 ABUKET", size=90, text_color=$ffffFF,offset=9).crop(375,0,0,0)
vid10=og.trim(369,369).overlay(olay10, x=375).AssumeFPS(1,true).ChangeFPS(60).subtitle("Input for first sonic boom is finished here", align=8, font="Mortal Kombat 3", size=30, text_color=$ffffFF).ssrc(48000)
olay11=og.trim(370,374).ShowFrameNumber(x=300, y=120, font="SSF4 ABUKET", size=90, text_color=$ffffFF,offset=10).crop(375,0,0,0)
vid11=og.trim(370,374).overlay(olay11, x=375).AssumeFPS(1,true).ChangeFPS(60).subtitle(
"Special moves can be inputed up ton" +
"five frames before a neutral state and still come out",
lsp=10, align=8, font="Mortal Kombat 3", size=30, text_color=$ffffFF).ssrc(48000)
olay13=og.trim(375,408).ShowFrameNumber(x=300, y=120, font="SSF4 ABUKET", size=90, text_color=$ffffFF,offset=16).crop(375,0,0,0)
vid13=og.trim(375,408).overlay(olay13, x=375).AssumeFPS(3,true).ChangeFPS(60).subtitle("Notice it hits on the ninth active frame", align=8, font="Mortal Kombat 3", size=30, text_color=$ffffFF).ssrc(48000)
olay14=og.trim(408,409).ShowFrameNumber(x=300, y=120, font="SSF4 ABUKET", size=90, text_color=$ffffFF,offset=49).crop(375,0,0,0)
vid14=og.trim(408,409).overlay(olay14, x=375).AssumeFPS(1,true).ChangeFPS(60).subtitle("A Kara Canceled c.HK is done to get closer", align=8, font="Mortal Kombat 3", size=30, text_color=$ffffFF).ssrc(48000)
vid15=og.trim(410,430).AssumeFPS(4,true).ChangeFPS(60).subtitle("Notice this hits on the second active frame", align=8, font="Mortal Kombat 3", size=30, text_color=$ffffFF).ssrc(48000)
vid16=og.trim(431,910).ssrc(48000)
vid17=vid1++vid2++vid3++vid4++vid5++vid6++vid7++vid8++vid8++vid9++vid10++vid10++vid11++vid13++vid14++vid15++vid16
return vid17.ConvertToYV12()

CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

God damn :lol:
Hsien_Jo

Can anyone give me some tips on working with HD video?

Post by Hsien_Jo »

Hey there, just recently I started working with a friend of mine to get some HD content for UMVC3.
The capture device is an HD Haupauge, and me and my friend usually use Adobe Premiere Pro for editing.
I'm not sure what his version is, but I just have the first one. I don't know much about exporting in HD size and keeping the file size low.
If any of you out there have some good tips for working with HD video, let me know, id greatly appreciate it.
CPS2

Re: Can anyone give me some tips on working with HD video?

Post by CPS2 »

There's a few posts around the forums about encoding with avisynth and megui, and a couple of other programs. error1 and bob sagat were discussing this not long ago if you check their post history.
error1

Post by error1 »

I think this is what cps2 means but that's a slightly different question.
http://combovid.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=447
basically x264 or h264 codec is your best bet for HD quality with a low filesize
Hsien_Jo

Post by Hsien_Jo »

Thank you guys for the info ima make sure to check those out.
CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

This is probably really simple but I couldn't figure out how to do it. How do you make a border in MeGui and AviSynth?
error1

Post by error1 »

CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

Thanks =]
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

So, I just got an Hauppage HD PVR Colossus, and of course, I'm having trouble working out the kinks. There are two things that are troubling me:

1: I have to record to mp4 or mpg. Sony Vegas REALLY does not agree with those formats, is there a way to record in .avi?

2: I'm currently recording in 1080i. It can't do 1080p, and I have no idea how to deinterlace it since Vdub doesn't accept the files either. Any tips?

The only, extremly ghetto solution I can think of is to rerecord it with fraps from VLC, but that really shouldn't be necessary, right? Apparently my PC couldn't handle it anyways.
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
error1

Post by error1 »

you should be able to write a avs script for the files that will deinterlace and let you open them in vdub
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

error1 wrote:you should be able to write a avs script for the files that will deinterlace and let you open them in vdub
I think you overestimate my abilities XD I barely know what a script IS >.<

Seriously though, what's this avs thing?

Raine

Post by Raine »

Afaik you can only capture from the HD PVR using their software and thus you are stuck with those formats which, like you say, simply don't agree with a lot of video editing software. I'm not sure what you are recording but if it's from 360 or PS3 you should be able to set the system to display in 720p, removing the need to worry about deinterlacing. I found the best way to learn about how AVS scripts work is to download MeGUI and just play around with it, eventually you'll get a hang of how things work.

I have my own problem that I need help with though, not sure if it's related to the HD PVR but I think it might be. I've noticed on a lot of my videos (and Persona's) that when they get uploaded to youtube, the audio gets slightly stretched such that the audio and video will be increasingly out of sync the longer the video goes. Here is usually what I do to encode the vids (Doopliss this might help you a little too).

1. Capture from HD PVR in .m2ts format, 360 set to 720p component output
2. Use AVS script creator in MeGUI to demux and create the script
3. Use AVS cutter in MeGUI to trim the excess video
4. Use Audio cutter in MeGUI to trim the audio the same as the video
5. Encode video as x264 .mkv and audio as LAME 128CBR .mp3
6. Use MKV muxer in MeGUI to remux the audio and video streams
7. Use mkvmerge (in the MeGUI tools folder) to merge all the individual clips I recorded into one file.

Now the resulting file I get from this will play back perfectly on my computer, but if I upload to video to youtube OR re-encode it through MeGUI (either to x264 or xvid) then the problem I mentioned will occur where the audio and video will slowly lose sync the longer the file goes. It's not noticeable for clips <1 minute but it starts to get ridiculous for longer clips. So any ideas on what is causing this or how to fix it? Somehow I get the feeling it's being caused by dodgy containers on the original file created by the HD PVR (had other problems that were caused by this before... :roll: ).
CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

Doopliss - this is step by step how I do it

(download avisynth and megui first)
-open megui, click "tools," click "avs script creator"
-click "video input," select the file you want
-click "directshowsource"
-click the script tab, change "audio = false" to "audio = true"
-add any other necessary changes to the script e.g. trim(0000,0000) and ConvertToYV12()
-click save
-go to the input tab, set the encoder setting to XviD scratchpad, then click config, change the bitrate to 10,000 or whatever you prefer, click OK
-click auto encode
-click the Queue tab, click the Start button

You can change any of the encoder settings and do a lot of different things with the script, that's just how I do it to get videos to work with my editing software (I mainly use After Effects).

Also Remxi, I'm getting the same problem and noticed it starting to happen in the ohnx video, but I didn't think it was that noticable in that video. We should probably stop recommending that capture card to people, I'm just gonna use it until it breaks down, then get a different one. Jaxel has an amazing streaming guide on 8wayrun, and recommends all the hardware and software etc that he uses, I might try to do something like that.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Remxi: Thanks, I was planning to record in 720p if I couldn't get 1080i to work. But just so you know, I'm not the kind of person who plays around with stuff until it works, it just pisses me off.

CPS2: I'm not gonna lie, you completely lost me at that "trim" part. I'll download the stuff tomorrow and try it out though. Do you have any download links or something? Also, do you have to do that stuff manually for each file, or is it once per filebatch or just once?

CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

download links:
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MeGUI
http://sourceforge.net/projects/avisynth2/

If you don't have to trim the length of the video, you can pretty much use the same script for any video and cue up multiple files to get encoded one after another. It doesn't take that long tho, like clicking on a thing takes less than a second :P
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

CPS2 wrote:download links:
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MeGUI
http://sourceforge.net/projects/avisynth2/

If you don't have to trim the length of the video, you can pretty much use the same script for any video and cue up multiple files to get encoded one after another. It doesn't take that long tho, like clicking on a thing takes less than a second :P
Sounds good, I'll give it a shot.