Tournies and what not

stay up to date on what's going on
Smileymike101

Tournies and what not

Post by Smileymike101 »

Hey guys, I decided to make a thread dedicated to telling everyone if somebody is participating in a tournament or something.Do you guys play th egame competively, or only do hte combos?If you go anywhere (or even an online tournament), post it here, so we can have good fun.
If you want to laugh, i'll start.A couple of weeks ago i entered my first tournament, and....SURPRISE!I was eliminated in the first match.I hate blanka :(( THis is the (very shitty) match in cause.Now, i missed pretty much about everything in that game.No punishes, no combos, no nothing, but i have to tell you, it was like the 5th blanka i have ever fought, and being the first time at a tournament, my mind freezed.I like when the guy filming told me to mash lol.Anyways, take care to NOT learn anything from that match.If you learn anything from it, you'll destroy your skills lol.Actually, i did win a round using option select, so hurray for me getting off a SINGLE decent tehnique the whole match, right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh9LmzC_r9Q
The match itself was really not important , i have to tell you it was really awesome for me to be there.The casuals, before and after, and stuff like that, it was a great experience.I gotta say i've improved my cammy matchup alot there, against a dude that was doing sako combos lol.
So, if any of you guys have some tournie action to best, i'll gladly like to see it, and hope that you did alot better than me :))
CPS2

Re: Tournies and what not

Post by CPS2 »

hm i don't go in tourneys that much at the moment (kinda waiting for mvc3 or something before I get back into going every week etc), but we got 2nd at the last team tourney I was in a couple of weeks ago. I think only one match of mine was recorded, I lost this one, and it's a shit video cos all I did was whiff stuff, get counter hit and fuck up combos haha. There aren't really any good matches of mine on youtube (and there's a few around). I'm too flaky... I did manage to beat benson, genxa and gamogo in this tourney tho, and they're considered pretty good in this city (at least top 10 I guess?). Normally they'd destroy me in first to ten or something like that.
Smileymike101

Post by Smileymike101 »

Lol why did the super wiff?
Also, in an earlier match of mine, something that i cannot understand happened.I was fighting a cammy, and i had a feeling he'll do a cannon spike, non reversal.I did cross counter, and i could even hear dudley say "go on then", and cammy walked up and did cannon spike, ANNNNDDD...it hit cleanly.....WTF?How can that happen?
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

I'm going to Absolute battle this weekend. I'm not participating though. I'll be filming and possibly interviewing. For a compilation of moments caught on video. I'll edit it and have it ready by Wednesday. I love it when the environment is captured on all these evo videos and seasons beatings, so I want to do something similar for Absolute Battle.
Making no profit since 1987...
Maj

Post by Maj »

It's been a while since i entered anything. Valle actually talked me into going to SoCal Regionals - not sure why. Maybe he's gonna set up a booth and charge people $5 for personal explanations of why i'm a biweekly combo lagger.

Anyway i'm not gonna play in the tournament but i will be around in case anyone of you guys want to meet up and ask me why i'm a biweekly combo lagger. (Make sure you bring $5 tho plzkthx.)
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Maj wrote:It's been a while since i entered anything. Valle actually talked me into going to SoCal Regionals - not sure why. Maybe he's gonna set up a booth and charge people $5 for personal explanations of why i'm a biweekly combo lagger.

Anyway i'm not gonna play in the tournament but i will be around in case anyone of you guys want to meet up and ask me why i'm a biweekly combo lagger. (Make sure you bring $5 tho plzkthx.)
Well, it's down the street from me, so I may look you up.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Cool. I'll be there Sunday for sure. Maybe Saturday too.
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

Had a blast today. It was an Xbox tourney, so I enter. I am horrible at pad, and at the Fightstick. But! After the day was over, the night began. We got our PS3 on, and I destroyed everyone!!! lol. Except for solidxpanda, who I evened out with, and Allan, who I completely lost to. It was my first tourney, but it's not over yet. tomorrow is finals, and I plan to interview Mike Weng. He got to the top 8 and seems like a very promising player. He has gone to Japan and competed in large scale tournaments. Today he cleared the room. He's very shy, but I'll get'em. He's a really nice guy. Oh, Yipes is there, and so is Sanford, as well as "burn your bra," who made it to 3rd place on the woman's division of ssf4 at evo this year. it's been great and I plan to do a video of it. It'll be very positive and hope it gets noticed to next time we get a larger crowd. lol. How was SoCalRegionals?
Maj

Post by Maj »

It was pretty cool, but tiring as well. Somehow RedRapper conned me into talking into a camera about SHGL and whatnot. So that might show up in a documentary at some point. Seems like everyone's interviewing everyone else these days.

Marvel money match was cool, but it went on too long. Soo was over it after the 8th or 9th match, and we had to watch twelve more because someone thought FT15 would be a good idea. Anyway some clutch moments by both players, but watching Soo drop combos was frustrating.

And that's about the only matches i saw. Spent the rest of the day talking to people.
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

Sweet! Yeah, I didn't do any casual till way late, and ssf4 pools went on forever. Buktooth made it to the top 8, but it in the loser's finals. he lost against Mike weng. Mike weng is in tied for 4th place. Tomorrow is gonna be epic.
Smileymike101

Post by Smileymike101 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J19irJWY ... ture=feedu
After the first Ultra i landed, the R2 button (hk) got stuck, and Dudley started spamming st.hk and sweeps by himself, hence my "BAH!"lol
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I just found out the tourney I'm going to this weekend in little old Arkansas is going to be hosting Justin Wong, and Panda, a friend of mine is having him crash at his place. I'm crashing at his place too, meaning... amazing weekend!

http://shoryuken.com/f25/arkansas-threa ... st10451998

I'm Ian.
Smileymike101

Post by Smileymike101 »

Snootch, if this is streamed, can we FINALLY get our shoutouts?Lol we tried so hard at the other streams, to no avail :))
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

I'll probably be speaking on stream, so I'll give you a shout out if I see you on. :)
Smileymike101

Post by Smileymike101 »

When exactly is the tournie/stream , so that i don't miss it?
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

It's gonna be this weekend on saturday. it may not be that big though. Sense Justin Wong is coming, we may get a few more views than we were planning on getting. I'll post a link here for when we're ready.
CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

Just a quick question for anyone who plays KOF, do these rules look ok? The main thing I want to clear up is "-winner must keep the same team and team order" and whether the usual thing is to allow people to switch order whenever they want.
Raine

Post by Raine »

I asked in the #snkplaymore channel and someone mentioned that changing order on win makes more sense since that's how it works in the arcade. I don't think anyone would complain regardless of which way you choose though.
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

on OG 2k2 you couldnt change on win and had to stick with team but order can be changed obviously. Unless they were talking about xiii??

I think for that set you have to keep same team but can change order
CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

I think I might make it so you can change the order >_< it'll just be easier to run that way (won't have to pay quite as much attention), and I checked a couple of rules lists for some tourneys via orochinagi and they didn't even mention the order.
Smileymike101

Post by Smileymike101 »

I just won my first MVC3 tournament two days ago, using Thor/Chris/Sent and it was free.lol
Maj

Post by Maj »

Haha that's you on the right? Damn dude, you weren't kidding about free. Have you uploaded the finals match yet?
Smileymike101

Post by Smileymike101 »

They should be uploaded by now.I have a lot of SSF4 left to post though.I filmed a lot at this tourney, like 12 gigs of footage (around 2 hours).Got only top 8 from 64 participants.I think that one of my matches had the most hype moment of them all.I'll point it out when I'll upload the match.
Maj

Post by Maj »

JWong vs ShinjiGohan - UFGT7 SFEX2 Grand Finals

Yeah ... Justin is definitely one of the Enemies of Fun™ in any game he doesn't really know how to play. Dude just walks back all day, every day, all the time. Dealing with it is one of the most irritating experiences ever, but it works because he simply refuses to take any risks whatsoever whereas most players are naturally inclined to take a couple of major risks per round - especially if they like the game more. The only way to deal with it is either match his patience, or bust out some seriously broken bullshit that he doesn't know about.
error1

Post by error1 »

yeah, ex2 is a really fireball heavy game.
I really enjoy watching Justin play like this, there are no holes in his play
I think ShinjiGohan might have been able to beat him at ex3, or at least by playing some akira character with crazy moves, beacuse he wasn't beating him with footsies
Maj

Post by Maj »

It's hard to explain unless you've played Justin, but he gets on your nerves like you wouldn't believe; especially if you're not prepared for it. I played him at CvS2 in Evo pools once, and i wasn't expecting to win so the outcome wasn't a big deal to me, but by the end of it i didn't even want to talk to him.

It's like playing poker against someone who loves money, hates losing, and doesn't even like poker. He only bluffs once out of a hundred hands and he folds immediately anytime he doesn't draw something solid. The game drags on foreeeever! He's obviously not invincible and it's not even the most advanced/flawless gameplan, but he's gonna put as many obstacles between you and having fun as humanly possible.

That's why oldschool top players don't even bother learning new games. Justin did the same thing against Dogface in XSF. Just picked Storm and made the game look fucking terrible, while Dogface couldn't sacrifice his emotional investment in trying to make the game look exciting.

I'm absolutely not trying to take the victory away from Justin because he's clearly the better and more fundamentally sound player here. But i do sympathize with ShinjiGohan because it's an unpleasant feeling when this situation catches you by surprise.
onReload

Post by onReload »

The thing I see (and obviously have to recognize as commendable) is his ability to capitalize..which is why when you might think the solution is to rush him down and make him crack, you'll see that he doesn't seem to feel the same pressure other players do...i missed the chance to play him in 3S at Winter Brawl, but I think I would have ended up liking the game less...Hugo bouncing in on a turtle-y Chun is a good way to grind a few teeth down, much less-skilled players do it to me already.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Usually defensive players don't bother me, but Justin's an unusual case. The only other player i remember absolutely dreading to play against in CvS2 was this guy SIN from the LA area. I think he was part of ComboFiend's crew, which is kind of strange because they have complete opposite styles. Anyway we didn't play too often, but it was like pulling teeth while watching paint dry.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

/ I'm not 100% sure, but I think he pioneered TeamScrub in MvC2 (Sentinel Cable Capcom). Which is like the most ultra-turtle-y team, probably.
ShinjiGohan

Post by ShinjiGohan »

i've played against Justin before in SFEX3. He still wins the majority. Though I'm not really bothered by his playstyle. I'm normally a defensive player, quite similar to justin actually, but I'm no where near as good as him at footies. Luckily the matches were recorded so I can learn and maybe he'll find something he can learn as well.

Though when I went in against him, I knew he would probably win. Maybe I'm guilty of sandbagging. Evo better get my yellow card ready lol. As a result I abandoned my playstyle which served me well to get me to the winners finals and the grand finals and respected his footies too much. Maybe if I didn't try and play his game and stuck to my game I would have fared better. Its all food for thought and maybe if I rematch him at evo I'll do better.