Interesting Threads on Other Forums

stay up to date on what's going on
Xenozip.

Re: Interesting Threads on Other Forums

Post by Xenozip. »

I'll post on SRK if you want me to, I just wanted to go with the flow for a bit before I did. I originally responded here on SH instead of on SRK for an inside reason (albeit convoluted).
Looks like Jolly Ranchers & Baskin's Sherbet.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Xenozip. wrote:What? I don't understand where peer sabotage came from.
Like i said earlier, it's one thing if you're comfortable with being irrelevant. I don't like compliments either and i can appreciate the desire to stay out of the spotlight. But it's another thing if you're trying to set up an organization system on SRK which effectively makes every other video maker irrelevant as well. In my opinion, banning video threads from FGD and confining them to Video Gallery makes us irrelevant. Maybe splitting Video Gallery into two subforums will help the situation, or maybe it'll reduce traffic even further.

In any case, my stance is that SRK is currently useless for video promotion. In fact, i think announcing my TZW video in the ST forum would have generated more views and responses than posting it in Video Gallery. If i hadn't mentioned it in the Premium forum, i doubt my TZW thread would have received even two replies. After adding up all of these observations, the only conclusion i can reach is that Video Gallery is busted.

I still frequent SRK for general fighting game discussion, community involvement, and strategy breakdowns for specific titles. But i don't think that the forum format is conducive for serving, cataloguing, or transcribing videos. IMO, if you want to fix the situation, build a combo video version of IMDB and give up on SRK forums. At least when video threads were allowed in FGD, there was a good reason to bother announcing a video on SRK. Nowadays the best reason is: "Eh, why not?"
Maj

Post by Maj »

Hey man, i hope i didn't offend you with that "peer sabotage" line. I feel that it's a common downside to modesty which nobody recognizes. There aren't very many modest people around and they usually don't cause trouble, so modesty doesn't receive much critique.

Plus when i thought of the phrase, it sounded like a cool in my mind. Honest mistake, honest.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

I don't know if you guys didn't notice how much I kept using the phrase, RESOURCES AND GUIDES in the thread on SRK but it's a blatant inside comment to this place. I really think Maj has great ideas about community growth, it might come from his rugged good looks or his experience in the community, I'm not sure yet.

Art> Why haven't you posted in that thread? Call me crazy, but that conversation we had at dennys like 2 years ago made me believe you'd be interested in posting something in a thread like that one. Maybe I was dazed and confused by your rugged good looks to know any better.
Maj

Post by Maj »

For anyone who speaks English and started out playing Street Fighter games, SRK is the heart of the entire fighting game community. Nothing more, nothing less. Ever since i became a "regular" on SRK, i've been surrounded by and/or involved in discussions to improve it. Nothing changes. All of the people in charge are nice guys, they care about the community, and they're open to suggestions. But they very rarely have the time to implement everyone's requests.

I've reached the point where i can't see SRK ever becoming anything more than what it is now. Even the wiki addition isn't a huge improvement when you look at it as an extension of the forum. It's basically one giant sticky thread containing all the standard questions which keep coming up. It doesn't go into detail, it doesn't obey any universal guidelines, and it doesn't follow any concise development plan.

Of course i want our community to continue to thrive, but please don't look to me for boundless optimism.
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread. ... ost5263665

zomg sonichurricane essay posting time... By our powers combined we could rock this threads socks.
Vega Omega

Post by Vega Omega »

I just started this thread on SRK. I'm curious to see what you guys have to show!

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=161107
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Maj

Post by Maj »

Some of those look really good but then again some of those are proof that OG SF2 sprites are allergic to microscopes.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

I updated my notes blog with more :words:. Whee.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Need Help Understanding or Performing a Combo? on SRK

Need Help Understanding or Performing a Combo? on HVO

Need Help Understanding or Performing a Combo? on NeoGAF

Need Help Understanding or Performing a Combo? on P-A

Let's see how long it takes the internet to ruin each and every one of these.

edit: Added link to new HVO thread, which was requested by one of the users on that forum.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

I give it three days.
desk

Post by desk »

15minutes, lol. That is awesome!
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Not really. Sorry that happened dude. At least all the bad people are located in one forum. There are other people but they are spread out thin in other places.
Maj

Post by Maj »

It's alright. There are definitely some times when i feel like most people don't quite understand or appreciate fighting games, and it is disappointing when those people happen to be in charge of a major forum. On the other hand, if getting closer to the mainstream means inheriting the FPS/Madden audience then i'm happier feeling like an outsider. Fuck it, can't expect everyone to get it.

To be honest, i've always been a little bit scared of Street Fighter becoming bigtime like Halo. Adding money to the equation could lead to so much shady bidness that it'd make Empire Arcadia look tame by comparison. I've always loved the undergroundness of the SF community.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Maj

Post by Maj »

You're pointing to the Sega net loss or one of the other companies? I think Capcom recently posted a net loss as well, or at least something crazy like a 95% income drop for 2k8, but at least in Capcom's case i think that has more to do with SF4 and RE5 releasing early 2k9. In fact i can't really remember anything important showing up from Capcom in 2008, so i think they're safe as long as they make up the losses this year. On the other hand, Sega fucked up with that whack new Golden Axe game and WereSonic or whatever. Do they have anything major on the horizon?
Maj

Post by Maj »

What the fuck? Daigo's human?
Maj

Post by Maj »

This shit is so awkward.

Good job guys, let's chase them all away!

Ooh, i have an idea. Why don't we register Ladies-of-SF4.com and build an hourly updated database of all females who step within 100 yards of an SF4 tournament? We'll also set up a ninja academy for the sole purpose of obtaining (sneaky) photos of all these women. Then the website's registered members can call "dibs" on each lady and be placed on an officially numbered list which determines who gets to ask her out first in the event that she breaks up with her current boyfriend. All for a low, low (nonrefundable) fee of $50!

For an additional fee of $79.99, we'll dispatch an Evo Top 8 finalist to stalk her boyfriend from the shadows. As soon as the girl shows up, our agent will proceed to challenge and humiliate him in the most humiliating fashion humiliable in front of his girlfriend. Of course she will break up with him, and our database will be updated to reflect her new status within the hour.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Um, yeah, no clue what i'm doing here but hopefully it turns into something interesting:

Tournament Match Statistics on SRK

Took me like an hour and a half so this is where i get off the bus and hope that whoever takes the wheel doesn't run me down.
error1

Post by error1 »

I laughed when I saw this http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2009/aug/ ... /#comments. Looks like every topic you make is big news.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Hahahaha wow. Really? Wow.

Man i'ma be a little depressed if that thing ends up generating more comments than the SRK thread itself. Though the entire thing is looking quite bleak at this point. We've got about a dozen naysayers and zero people willing to give it a try. Well, one guy offered to try if we paid him but fuck that.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Hmm well, there's this rumor going around http://zepy.momotato.com/2009/08/22/ama ... ascii-art/

Don't know what to make of it really, but if it happens then it's scheduled for 7am EST tomorrow morning, which will be 4AM for you west coasters of course. That particular hour is not my kind of hour though, I will most likely be unconscious.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Huh? This is what he ended up drawing? Man, i so don't know enough about 2ch culture to understand any of this. Amano's style is dope though. Has he ever gotten bored and painted any Street Fighter characters?
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Well apparently before he drew yaruo he drew a dragon knight:
- http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/2820 ... night1.png
- http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/3669 ... night2.png

It was a 10-minute sketch for the dragon knight. It was a live show on nico so I guess that was the real significance of the event. But I, of course, missed it due to sleep.

I don't know if he did any SF stuff, all I know for sure that he did do was Final Fantasy, Vampire Hunter D, and SandMan. Though I'd be thoroughly surprised if he did any Capcom related stuff and it didn't end up on fightersgeneration or anywhere else.

See also http://www.amanosworld.com/html/work.html
Maj

Post by Maj »

Yeah, he's done Marvel Comics stuff involving Wolverine and Elektra but that's about it, looks like. Capcom should hire random superstar artists like him to design a second batch of alternate SF4 costumes. I'd pay $5 for an M.Bison Hat Pack, if it included the Vampire Hunter D hat.
Maj

Post by Maj »

What do you guys think of the new SRK?
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

The contribution system is much better than the reputation system. Should help with the incoming groups of new players.
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

Someone care to explain on how it works?