SF2 Reference Articles (work-in-progress)

video previews, releases, and feedback
error1

SF2 Reference Articles (work-in-progress)

Post by error1 »

street fighter 2 glitches seems like a good place to start
here are some pictures for the article. Just screen shots, double native size, with dammit's input scrolling script

edit
Maj

Re: reference articles for combovid

Post by Maj »

Dang, those are nice. Although i think they're too way big. Can you imagine how much text you'd have to write in order to wrap around each image?
error1

Post by error1 »

um... big text?
what's a good size? Native seems too small. would it be better to re-size with html code?
Last edited by error1 on Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maj

Post by Maj »

I don't know, personally i don't think native is too small. We can also have native embedded in the article, then clicking on it opens up the huge version.

Also we should probably consider 4:3 to make Buttermaker happy. Maybe we should embed the true native versions and stretch them using HTML, then have the huge versions stretched to 4:3. That way they'll always see 4:3, but they'll have access to the native versions as well (by saving the embedded images).

I mean, these articles are more of a practical application rather than an aesthetic display - so i think 4:3 might be more appropriate.

What do you think?
error1

Post by error1 »

I'm not a fan of 4:3, I think the best option would just be to make native images and then you can resize them so they look good
Maj

Post by Maj »

You know, we really should have this discussion once and for all, just to get it out of the way.
Buttermaker

Post by Buttermaker »

Animated GIFs could save space.

Maj

Post by Maj »

Interesting idea, but that's still waaay too big. I mean, just looking at that thing - that's like 4-5 paragraphs easy. For a concept that would take two paragraphs to explain, tops. I guess we could also space out the video links to give us an excuse to insert more line breaks.

Side-by-side frames usually work more in our favor, because if you imagine like:
Rapid-Fire Light Attack Jump-Canceling

Jump-canceling works by blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Reference video #1 - Guile does blah blah blah.
Reference video #2 - Ken does blah blah blah.
And imagine the image placed on the right or left side of all that. Then the wider the image, the less space you'd need to fill with text. Or if you make it small, that works in our favor too because there's less height to fill.

I think these articles might have a lot of white space no matter what we do, but i want it to look like an actual coherent magazine article. Not like a geocities website from 1997, you know what i mean?
error1

Post by error1 »

smaller is probably the way to go, I thought about using animated pngs but I was a little afraid of long page load times and being too distracting. I think it works with just a few frames and a couple seconds a frame like you have it but what happens if you put 15 of them on a page.
Buttermaker

Post by Buttermaker »

Maj wrote:Not like a geocities website from 1997, you know what i mean?
Yeah, that GIF is too big and I know exactly what you mean. Every time I look at the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure thread on SRK, I feel like I stepped in a time machine.
Don Vecta

Post by Don Vecta »

I guess we need someone who knows how to make it look good in HTML or so if you are really aiming to a magazine look style. I have plenty of stuff to put and sort from the SNK side but I don't know jack about technical stuff (I don't even know how to make gifs... even though the idea it's fine and a lot better than cluttering videos).
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

I can make gifs if you guys need them. Pretty much anything on the internet or tv, or whatever. If you need any, let me know. the html code can be written and hosted by image saving websites, so I'm here to offer a helping hand.
Making no profit since 1987...
Maj

Post by Maj »

HTML isn't a problem. It's simple to wrap text around images. The hard is coming up with the right amount of text to make it look nice. Speaking of which, who's writing this thing? I don't mind doing final edits but i've never even tried some of these glitches.
error1

Post by error1 »

I can write most of them

CPS-1 Chain
In all of the CPS-1 street fighter 2 games ( WW, CE, and HF ) characters with rapid fire weak kicks can cancel them into any punch attack in a different possession. For example to do Guile's C.LK -> HP, press D+LK, and once it connects or whiffs press LK+HP. In the same way to do Guile's LK -> C.HP would be LK and then D+LK+HP
Image Image
It is a very well known glitch. It's easy to do because it's a chain combo.
Video Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMGAASgcSR4#t=2m10s and every cps1 sf2 combo video ever
In depth reading: http://www.video-opera.com/features/f0016.php, http://sonichurricane.com/articles/sf2chain.html
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

Well, if I wan't majoring in history, I'd be an art student. With the evolution of your new site, I'll take a few pokes with ideas concerning design. It's my biggest hobby, so I'd love every minute of it.
Making no profit since 1987...
error1

Post by error1 »

What games does jump canceling work in? All the sf2 arcade games right. HDremix? gba game? the C64 port? Should we care?

Jump-Canceling
In all street fighter II games, chainable attacks may be canceled by a jump.
For example, to do Guile's LP->NJ. HP the input would be, LP, U+LP, HP
Video Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpOq-67YHdI#t=0m31s and every street fighter combo video
In depth reading: http://sonichurricane.com/articles/sf2chain.html

edit
any idea what happens here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDfFRoz8Qhg#t=0m59s
or at 1:33, or 1:50
Last edited by error1 on Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Don't bother specifying which games it works in apart from saying "SF2 series." Anyone who cares about the obscure versions will figure it out on their own. For the record, it does work in HD Remix and GBA/Revival versions. Also works in Genesis/SNES versions, but CPS1 chains don't.

If you're asking about the SF2WW same-character glitches, that's practically cheat code material. You can't pick the same character in that game, so they never bothered drawing an electrocution animation for Blanka, so when Blanka doesn't become invincible when he gets hit by Electricity. Characters throwing themselves also cause weird effects.

1:34 and 1:54 are debug mode shananigans, i believe. This is all recycled material from an old TZW tape. They rereleased a lot of it on some DVD to coincide with the release of HSF2. But of course none of that stuff works in HSF2.
error1

Post by error1 »

Cool thanks
is there a legit method for selecting the same character in the arcade version?
what about console only glitches? snes sfa2 has a lot of interesting glitches for example.
Lets see if I have my list of ssf2 and st glitches
selecting original colors
Reversal Atomic Suplex
whiff FAB?
ken reversal super
it seems like I remember seeing a float glitch somewhere
Maj

Post by Maj »

Nope, there's no legit way to select same characters in WW, except Ryu vs CPU Ryu.

For console glitches, i think it would be better to write separate articles. 16-bit SF2 is pretty different from arcade SF2. And SNES SFA2 isn't even in the same ballpark as arcade SFA2.

ST has a bunch of glitches but they're all relatively minor. If you dizzy someone with a throw, you can't throw them again until they recover. If you kill someone with Ken's QCF+K, you can keep doing more QCF+K's until foreva.

Dhalsim, Sagat, and Ken can't do reversal supers. All kinds of craziness comes out of this actually, including those weird setups where Ken does reversal ground air Hurricane Kick. The way it works is, if you do the command for reversal super, they do the last special move they performed. (So you can actually do reversal super by doing a super, then rebuilding meter without using any other specials.)

And every (console) version of ST Akuma's Raging Demon has been glitched.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Snoooootch wrote:Well, if I wan't majoring in history, I'd be an art student. With the evolution of your new site, I'll take a few pokes with ideas concerning design. It's my biggest hobby, so I'd love every minute of it.
Of course dude. If it sucks, tell me it sucks. It won't hurt my feelings. If i can fix it, i'll fix it. Although don't give me too much credit - there's a lot i can't change without way more CSS/PHP skill than i have now. And i'd rather work within my limits than mess around until something implodes.

But whatever advice you give me, i'll consider it and give it a shot. I'm in no particular rush though. I think the important thing is to maintain a steady pace, not to try to get everything done today. For now i'm happy it works and we can always make it better tomorrow.
error1

Post by error1 »

Invisible Dhalsim
In some versions of Street Fighter II World Warrior doing a kara yoga fire may cause Dhalsim to become invisible. The exact input is D, DF, Hold F, mk or hk, hp. The game is fairly inconsistent about it, but if you try for a couple minutes you should be able to do it. When invisible, Dhalsim can't do anything. Some attacks will whiff, some will cause him to automatically block, and some moves will hit him. If the opponent Presses back it will cause the him to block. Like the red hadouken and handcuffs, Dhalsim later learns an more useful way to turn invisible with his teleport.

Video Example: http://www.filefront.com/17261281/sf2ww ... isible.mkv

Had to make a video, couldn't find a good in-depth reading, I don't think every glitch needs one
Tigre III

Post by Tigre III »

Don Vecta wrote:I guess we need someone who knows how to make it look good in HTML or so if you are really aiming to a magazine look style.
Yeah that could be nice, Im agree with a magazine look.
error1

Post by error1 »

Red Hadouken
In CPS-1 street fighter 2 games, very rarely a Hadouken will be red. It can happen for Ken or Ryu ( or Zangief and others in rainbow edition ) it's exactly the same as a normal Hadouken except for the color. Later Ryu would lean how to make a red hadouken with fire proprieties on command.

Video Example: http://www.filefront.com/17263356/sf2%20redhadou.mkv
In depth reading on sf2 randomness: http://sonichurricane.com/articles/sf2randomness.html

Whiff Rolling Attack
In WW if Blanka does a rolling attack that is blocked or hits and then does another one before he hits the ground, it won't be able to hit. If the opponent is in the corner the rolling attack will simply end when he hits the corner, otherwise Blanka will do the animation as if it hit.

Image Image

Video Example: http://www.filefront.com/17263420/sf2bl ... glitch.mkv
Last edited by error1 on Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
onReload

Post by onReload »

You can always ask me for article-editing, i.e. questions related to vocabulary, grammar, etc...This is a forum so I type like a moron, but I'm an all-right copy editor.
Maj

Post by Maj »

The video clips are looking pretty good so far. I guess there's two ways we can go with this: either upload individual clips to u2b (unlisted?) or edit a really basic video to contain all the clips from one article. I'm down with either approach.

Although i don't know if the additional stuff at the end of each clip would work so well, because some of these glitches are confusing enough without unrelated tangents. I mean they look cool to you and me, but i bet you'll get a lot of questions about whether Blanka's throw is part of the glitch.

onReload wrote:You can always ask me for article-editing, i.e. questions related to vocabulary, grammar, etc...This is a forum so I type like a moron, but I'm an all-right copy editor.
Thanks but i think i'll be okay. I'm used to formatting articles from back in VidOp days, plus i did a fair amount of rewording stuff for those Strategy Corner articles on SRK. Plus i'm sure i'll end up lengthening/shortening stuff to make it look good based on how the text fits around the images, and there's no way to do that until i'm actually preparing the post.
error1

Post by error1 »

Maj wrote: I mean they look cool to you and me, but i bet you'll get a lot of questions about whether Blanka's throw is part of the glitch.
it kind of is, as a whiff rolling attack into throw is the only useful thing you can do with it.
Maj

Re: SF2 Reference Articles (work-in-progress)

Post by Maj »

I agree that it's the natural strategic application of that glitch, but that's a different concept altogether. I mean if you want to make a glitch strategy video, i think that would be really cool, and i'd even be willing to attach it to the article. But for the core of this article, it's better to isolate the glitches.
error1

Post by error1 »

Ryu Dizzy Damage
In WW if Ryu is hit during the dizzy frame where he is leaning farthest forward he will take more damage. Certain moves like Blanka's rolling attack are supposed to take extra damage if they are hit during the move. For some reason a frame of Ryu's WW dizzy animation has this weakness hit box.
error1

Post by error1 »

you should probably find an excuse to link to dammit's recent hitbox articles
http://dammit.typepad.com/blog/2010/09/ ... boxes.html
I didn't know about the t. hawk, and sim stray hitbox things
error1

Post by error1 »

Car Float Glitch
In Street Fighter II if you break one side of the car so that it causes red hit sparks and then do a backwards jump and attack, it may cause your character to become stuck in mid air. To jump backwards you need to press up and back at the same time, it's harder then it sounds. The easiest normals to get it to work with are Ryu and Ken's HK, and E. Honda's MK. The spot you need to hit to trigger the glitch is very small so expect for it to take you a ton of tries. A second player can knock you out of it, but if time runs out with you stuck then the game is effectively frozen. Some special moves like dragon punch will cause it if used when standing on the car.
Video Example: http://www.filefront.com/17283624/sf2car%20bonus.mkv
Last edited by error1 on Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.