Banned Combo Video Music

question anything pertaining to the craft
Maj

Banned Combo Video Music

Post by Maj »

This is probably going to turn into an emo vs techno vs rap-rock flame war because there's nothing more subjective than taste in music, but there are some songs that just do not belong in a combo video. So i'll start the list. Add songs, add bands, but don't try to add whole genres. Try to provide some measure of reasoning, but don't bust out huge essays either. If someone else happens to really like the band you named, you might have to defend your decision or withdraw your nomination.

The List of Banned Combo Video Music
1. Yakety Sax (the Benny Hill theme song)
2. Anything involving Fred Durst
3. Linkin Park
4. Darude - Sandstorm
5. Hoobastank - The Same Direction
6. Ayumi Hamasaki - Evolution

Explanation for Yakety Sax is in the Basic Etiquette thread. Basically, jchensor says it's overplayed.

Fred Durst sucks, has always sucked, will always suck. By association, Staind sucks too.

Linkin Park always sounds like they are writing songs about how much they hate their boss. It doesn't help that every one of their songs sounds the exact same. Even if you like them, you gotta agree that they are overplayed. Any band that showed up in over 50% of all combo videos for two years in a row needs to disappear without a trace.
Last edited by Maj on Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Darude - Sandstorm
Vega Omega

Post by Vega Omega »

hoobastank- the same direction.

I saw it in 4 diff. KOF videos.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

I suggest that people here should stay away from music already used in popular videos.

Meikyousisui 6 - Rhapsody - Steel Gods of the Last Apocalypse

Meikyousisui 8 - Dragonland - A Thousand Points of Light

Meikyousisui 10 - Sonata Arctica - False News Travels Fast

Meikyousisui 11 - High and Mighty Color - Pride

Magnetro (me ^_^) Combo Video - Nightwish - Nightquest

Magnetro (I hate that guy) Magneto Video - Dragonforce (boo!) - My Spirit Will go On

All the music from magnetro's (boo) Dhalsim DVD

Basic Knowledge --- Bahamut Lagoon Dragons of Paradise OC ReMix & Phantasy Star 2 Dezoris Winter OC ReMix

Basic Skills --- Sonic &_Knuckles HiddenPalace (MasterEmerald) OC ReMix

Intermediate --- Orbital - Halcyon + On + On (I love that song)

Advanced --- Sonic Cryptic Marble OC ReMix & Dj-Sakin and friends - Miami vinyl bmi

Unfly --- Trip Hop Acid Jazz Trance - BT- Flaming June

Dhalsim - Cyclops - Astral Projection - Liquide Sun

Dhalsim - Magneto - Orbital - Dwr Budr

Dhalsim - Storm - Orbital - Lost

Dhalsim - Sentinel - Hybrid - Finished Symphony

Dhalsim - Iron Man - BGM: SFX - Reaching Out

Dhalsim-Sentinel-Cyclops - 1BGM Alice DJ – Dragonfly & Landscape & 303 infinity - Ethereal Mist

Dhalsim-Iron Man-Sentinel - Chrono Trigger Green Amnesia OC ReMix

Jadon Brown Combo Exhibition #2 - Astral Projection - Kabalah

eKin's - The Next Episode - Castlevania Bloody Hell Mix

Anyway, those are some of the videos. Just suggestions not really moving for a ban. It's just good to know.

and of course

Ayumi Hamasaki - Evolution
Thongboy Bebop

Post by Thongboy Bebop »

Pretty much all asian girl music ever. Shit is ridiculous. I'm sick of pasty white mokes always putting crappily clipped together vids to random J-pop music, it's like the video equivalent of their fractured, pockmarked psyches. My screen feels dirty every time I have to sit through one of those.

I think more videos should have Wu Tang and Cursive in them though. Yeehaw.

N - The Recluse
"If you lose any more weight I'm sending you to rehab." -- My Mother
Maj

Post by Maj »

Wu-Tang Clan ain't nuthing ta F' wit!

Haha, i don't think we can get away with banning ALL Asian girl music ever. Some people are just addicted. Actually i really dig the music choice in Meikyo vol11 and that involves an Asian girl. It'd be nice if people picked tracks that were as dynamic as that one. Also, that Evolution song by Ayumi Hamasaki wasn't so bad until it showed up in like 5 videos in a row. Plus, Gunter (Namonaki A-Groove tutorials) and DJ-B13 (CvS2/MvC2 tutorials) were the two guiltiest parties by far, and neither of them is making videos anymore. So for the most part, i think the danger has subsided.
jchensor

Post by jchensor »

Thongboy Bebop wrote:Pretty much all asian girl music ever. Shit is ridiculous. I'm sick of pasty white mokes always putting crappily clipped together vids to random J-pop music, it's like the video equivalent of their fractured, pockmarked psyches. My screen feels dirty every time I have to sit through one of those.
N - The Recluse
Hey now... can't exclude them all. One of my goals in life is still to make a Combo Video, eventually, with either Pizzicato Five or Cibo Matto music. Granted, one of them got their start in New York, but still... nothing better than Japanese chicks rapping with bad accents.

- James
Thongboy Bebop

Post by Thongboy Bebop »

Pizzicatto Five is like japanese Portishead. They of course get a bye.

N - I know my chicken.
"If you lose any more weight I'm sending you to rehab." -- My Mother
Maj

Post by Maj »

This is kind of a wacky theory that i can't support with statistics, but i think our generation is the most musically diverse/literate generation ever. Maybe that's why it's so easy to be picky. But a few generations ago, the only way to hear music was to be at live performances. After that came the radio and the record player, which means either you listen to radio singles all day or you spend hella money on a luxury. One of the definining attributes of our generation is shady digital content sharing. Of course that's not going to last forever. Even the whole iTunes infrastructure is designed to limit file sharing options. Windows Vista has some scary limitations built-in as well. So things might go back to the old days, when everyone could only afford to buy a few albums a year and could only claim familiarity with under 10 bands. Maybe not quite so bad, but i think the whole Napster/BitTorrent/YouTube era is going to be rememered as the peak of exposure for obscure bands.
jchensor

Post by jchensor »

You've got to know your chicken.

- James
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

jchensor wrote:You've got to know your chicken.

- James
Celebrate the chicken.
Looks like Jolly Ranchers & Baskin's Sherbet.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Chariots of Fire.
Maj

Post by Maj »

What's Chariots of Fire? What videos was it in?
Vega Omega

Post by Vega Omega »

Magnetro wrote:Chariots of Fire.
I say that one should be allowed. :D
felineki

Post by felineki »

Thongboy Bebop wrote:Pretty much all asian girl music ever. Shit is ridiculous. I'm sick of pasty white mokes always putting crappily clipped together vids to random J-pop music, it's like the video equivalent of their fractured, pockmarked psyches. My screen feels dirty every time I have to sit through one of those.
Awww, I was actually considering using Battle in Flash for my hypothetical-but-will-probably-never-happen ST combo video. :(

And I must admit, I'm guilty of using the Benny Hill song for a cheat video I did a while ago.
Maj

Post by Maj »

DJ Quatro and DJ Impact - Acid Gives You Energy
album: Dancemania Speed presents Trance Ravers

Since Sai-Rec used this track in that CvS2 combo video preview movie, i've seen it show up in a few different vids. Probably a good idea not to use it again. The real reason i'm listing it is because i remember it took some effort to figure out the name of the song. In case anyone wanted it, that's all the info you need to find it, and now i can finally get rid of it without worrying that someone's gonna ask me for it again.
Maj

Re: Banned Combo Video Music

Post by Maj »

Alright, i've got another list of terrible bands that i don't want to see anywhere near a combo video:

- Billy Talent
- My Chemical Romance
- Staind
- Nickelback
- Korn
Persona

Re: Banned Combo Video Music

Post by Persona »

Backstreet Boys......?

I've heard several combo videos that had Backstreet Boys and it felt very weird to me. :S