Who Runs What?

stay up to date on what's going on
Maj

Who Runs What?

Post by Maj »

Alright, i'm really tired of not knowing who runs all these websites. Can we try to figure this out please?

In case anyone doesn't know, SRK is owned by inkblot and Ponder, but more or less managed by MrWizard for the last i don't know how many years. Evo is principally run by inkblot, Ponder, MrWizard, and s-kill, with the help of helluva people who volunteer.

TekkenZaibatsu is owned and operated by Castel, with assistance from MrWizard and MarkMan.

That's all i know for certain. Who the hell owns/runs everything else??
Maj

Re: Who Runs What?

Post by Maj »

As far as i know, level|up is run by CaliPower and i guess ShinJN, with assistance from Cicada and potatohead. I have no idea how the ownership breaks down, but i assume it's CaliPower since he's in charge.

Get Your Tournament is owned by The Game II and that's about all i know.

Frame-Advantage is owned by sebiel and that's all i know.
CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

I guess add versuscity, run by Oichi (Reno on SRK). Every now and then he'll link Japanese combovids that I don't see anywhere else. There's quite a lot of good info there.

There's a lot of other websites I know of for fighting games but it seems like it's the same info going around.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

mizuumi.net irc network, poverty wikis, and forums are run by Bellreisa, of course.

Arlieth runs MeltyBread.

F.Yagami runs Fighters Generation

Not really sure who runs Dustloop or Eventhubs.
Looks like Jolly Ranchers & Baskin's Sherbet.
Maj

Post by Maj »

I thought dustloop was started by trag as an offshoot of gamecombos.com (also owned by him) after that died out? The donation link on dustloop seems to lead to tragic so i assume he still owns the website.

As far as i know, iPW is owned by haunts but he has a fairly large group of people helping him with updates and such.

Obviously Kineda is run by kineda but it's mostly a general gaming shirt store.

Still no clue who runs allisfighter, eventhubs, etc.
Keiko

Post by Keiko »

As far i know the guy who runs Eventhubs is called Jon Berlinghoff.
「切ない想いを受け止めて」
SFZ2 Blog
Maj

Post by Maj »

Haha ironically that doesn't help us because we still don't know who he is or where he came from. An SRK username would be more helpful. This kind of reminds me of the TFGM situation where he just showed up out of nowhere and declared himself important. We didn't even know if he played fighting games, and it turned out he didn't.

Speaking of that guy, TFGM aka TriForce Game Master owns Empire Arcadia. I think he's basically trying to run a gaming clan, except he kept talking about fighting games being a small portion of their operation. Guess his plan was to be involved in mainstream games and do all kinds of grandiose things, but i'm pretty sure Justin Wong was the most high-profile player he ever signed.

And now JustinW has a website as well: JWonggg. Looks like just a personal blog for the time being.
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

Orochinagi is owned by Gunsmith and CX is owned by Remukhan, Vice Vecta and T.Bogard but VV could prob correct me on that.
Don Vecta

Post by Don Vecta »

Dark_Chaotix wrote:Orochinagi is owned by Gunsmith and CX is owned by Remukhan, Vice Vecta and T.Bogard but VV could prob correct me on that.
remukhan created CX and long ago was co-hosted with Orochinagi.com, run by Gunsmith. remu gave up CX and I took over, bought the site. T. Bogard helped out to ensemble it and also has Battousai as our webmistress.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Whoa, i didn't know that you owned CX. I always wondered about CX and ON but didn't know who to ask. Also was CX connected to CV at some point? I thought i heard something about you guys sharing servers? Anyway it's not important.

Speaking of, BlazeD owns ComboVideos.com but it seems to have died down. He used to be a part of Dark Templarz / Dark Addictz as well, which was more or less a gaming clan except that was before money/sponsorships were involved. DarkTemplarZ hasn't been updated since September 2005.

High(er) Voltage is another oldschool fighting game forum, currently owned by EvilNeil i believe. There's a lot of people who help run it though: cka does admin stuff, thedigitalsin does graphics stuff, DYLE? does other stuff, etc. Kinda hard to keep track 'cause these fools keep changing their names every week. They also wrote a history article (which i wish more websites would do), but it's already outdated and all the pictures are missing.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

BlazeD was running some other site(s?) but he realized the futility of cv.com pretty early on. He doesn't really pay much/any attention to it these days afaik.
Don Vecta

Post by Don Vecta »

Maj wrote:Also was CX connected to CV at some point? I thought i heard something about you guys sharing servers? Anyway it's not important.
During the days of CX 2.0, after the independence from Gunny (and the little civil war-like drama that followed up), remu and BlazeD helped out to keep the site with a shared server, but we had to help paying the fees... and that's why it came the highly controversial CX Elite, which was to have a membership to download the latest CMV's in those days.

After remu gave up CX, he was about to close the site for good but seems the community didn't want to. I've been doing alright with work and i think I could afford to buy a small server by administrating the downloads, using also free sharing sites like megaupload sometimes as back up and of course the infamous Youtube, so yeah, that's keeping the site alive. So... yeah, we decided to revamp with a better forum layout and a new front page having divided opinions to it but overall it's been positive.

Besides, considering how the CMV scene has been dying recently compared with the latest years I don't think we really need to buy a high performance server just like the old days. We're fine as we are by now. :)
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

I wonder who runs the various arcade youtube pages from Japan. Like, a-cho regularly posts on youtube, wonder who runs that. It occurred to me because for the longest time I'd been subscribed to ukio987 and hadn't a clue it was really Egolei that runs that channel. Then there's also Kohatsu and other such arcades that are on youtube regularly.
Maj

Post by Maj »

What the fuck is this shit?

goforbroketv.site40.net

Is this the same GFB that _MJ_ runs over at CV?

edit: Nevermind, says "Website under review" now. Looks like the host is looking into it. Some dude was literally copy/pasting every strategy article i've ever written or linked to, in their entirety, along with google ads and everything.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Anyway, back on topic. I'm having some trouble figuring out who owns The Box Arena but it looks like HunEBee and natibzzzako aka NAT-mECHA are more or less in charge. As far as i can tell, it started out as an arcade/gathering run out of someone's house. It kept getting popular until they ran out of room and moved on to renting venues (cafes and such) for tournaments in San Diego. They have ranbats now and usually stream matches, with commentary by the one and only Viscant - who happens to live in the area.

Don Vecta wrote:We're fine as we are by now. :)
Nice. Thanks for saving CX! I was wondering whether the overhaul was connected to a change of management. The new site looks good btw. I'm happy with all the changes you've made. Apart from one or two minor annoyances (which i'm sure will get fixed over time), it's pretty much perfect.

Xenozip. wrote:I wonder who runs the various arcade youtube pages from Japan.
No clue, but it's worth asking. Japanese players have two settings: friendly and unreachable. There's no middle ground, so either way you're safe. Let us know what you find out.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Well, that GoForBrokeTV website came back so i followed their report abuse link and filled it out myself. Within minutes, goforbroketv.site40.net was removed and now redirects to err.000webhost.com

I did a little more research and it looks like this is the guy behind it: wong.netai.net/?p=19
And this seems to be his partner in crime: lowfierce.net16.net/?p=1
They even have a u2b channel: youtube.com/user/GoForBrokeTV

And of course they got in trouble for ripping off level|up videos. Plus wong.netai.net has every article i ever posted from 10.2009 to 03.2010, when they stopped updating. Has it really gotten to the point where we have to play whack-a-mole with random idiots over anything we write? This is unbelievably irritating and disappointing.

edit: Finally found an email address where i could contact these fools directly: goforbroketv.net16.net
Maj

Post by Maj »

Well, at least we finally figured out who runs eventhubs: catalyst_nc - and obviously this Nyoronoru guy is one of his henchmen.

Also, HigherVoltage died on October 6th due to the owner EvilNeil no longer having the time/resources to keep it going. Five days later, it was resurrected by thedigitalsin on a new server as HerV.