FBA bug reports

reference materials and general how-to information
Dammit

FBA bug reports

Post by Dammit »

Several people including me have been having crash problems with FBA, but the website (http://neosource.1emu.net/forums down at this moment) is sort of a "praise or gtfo" place so it's not very open to bug reports.
I think if I collect a bunch of crash reports and submit them together they are more likely to be taken seriously.

So next time FBA crashes, don't just get pissed off. Write down what happened, then get pissed off:

* Say what happened to make it crash and what rom (i.e., loaded a savestate). Find out if it crashes every time or randomly.

* Copypaste the guru error message (click details and press Home > ctrl+shift End to easily select all) and put it somewhere like this: http://pastebin.com/
* Or if it died instantly with no message say that.

* Also copypaste your fba.ini from the config folder. We only need that once from each person.

* Check if the problem also happens on vanilla fba.
* As of now, latest fba is 0.2.97.08 and latest fba-rr is 004.01 aka 004a which is forked off 0.2.97.07.
* If we find a lot of problems are only happening on rr it may help mz identify and fix the cause.

* To eliminate a known cause of crashing, make sure you only loaded that one rom since starting fba.
CPS2

Re: FBA bug reports

Post by CPS2 »

All the neogeo games I've tried (Garou, Last Blade 2, KoF2002 & KoF98) crash every time a save state is loaded in the latest version of FBARR and FBA. Is it still worth copying the error logs for something like that? It crashes randomly in 003 for FBARR. At first it was working fine, and now it does it every time.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Hmm, FBARR should work with Garou and LB2, or at least it does for me. Want to try my build (it's not actually FBARR)? Though it might be a romset or bios issue too, come to think of it.
Looks like Jolly Ranchers & Baskin's Sherbet.
CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

Xenozip. wrote:Hmm, FBARR should work with Garou and LB2, or at least it does for me. Want to try my build (it's not actually FBARR)? Though it might be a romset or bios issue too, come to think of it.
I'm after frame advance as well as save states tho. And I kinda need both tools to figure out certain things. Which version are you using?
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

CPS2 wrote:I'm after frame advance as well as save states tho. And I kinda need both tools to figure out certain things. Which version are you using?
The version my bro cooked up prior to FBARR, which has all that in it anyway (advance, saves, undo, capture to avi, etc).
CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

Sounds awesome man :) hook me up plz.

I'll try to repay you in combos.
Raine

Post by Raine »

I think a lot of these errors in NegoGeo games are being caused by inconsistent romsets and bios rather than FBA itself. Each version of FBA and Kawaks I've tried is very picky with which romset you use with it (throughout the MAME revisions, the files inside a lot of the NeoGeo games have been changed, leading to multiple romsets that have the same name, thus all the confusion). So yeah a solution is often to just download the rom again from a different location, or test it with a different bios file.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Sent PM.
Dammit

Post by Dammit »

Remxi wrote:I think a lot of these errors in NegoGeo games are being caused by inconsistent romsets and bios rather than FBA itself.
I suspect it's coincidence because it can still happen even when there are no mismatches. (If there's no popup warning, FBA is happy with all the roms.) In any case it's no excuse for their program to crash.

I tried garou, kof2002 and kof98 and observed the crashing in both regular and RR. Oddly, on one try for each game it would not crash on loadstates even after many saves and loads. But then when I restarted the same states that were working a few minutes ago now crashed. LB2 would not crash but of course I can believe it happens.

So here are the error logs for those: garou kof98 kof2002
and my config.

I found an easier way to save the error is to click the log button. It gets appended to the error log in the config folder.

You can always get all the old fba-RRs here, including blip's original:
http://code.google.com/p/fbarr/downloads/list?can=1
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

FBA-RR is acting really bizarre for me. The F9 and F10 keys do nothing, they just freeze the emulator temporarily until I focus another window. And for some reason F1 is auto-load current save state. I tried making a recording and attempting to save and load a state during the recording and it blew up, guru meditation. It was with SFA3 which works perfectly fine in the hacked-fba (the original undo, but non-RR version).

Here's the error log: SFA3. Though I think it will likely blow up using any rom, since I think the emulator itself is somehow not operating as it should.

Just to verify, tried with SS5sp: error log

On a random side-note, version 000 and 001 are unable to load SS5sp. The emulator simply attempts to load it and then explodes, no error message or anything it just disappears. These versions require the old 256mb neogeo bios romset, but the emulator explodes anyway so it's unable to load it regardless. Version 2 errors with a guru meditation before anything even happens, I load the emulator and it immediately errors. Version 003 and 004a require the 1.20mb neogeo bios to load SS5sp and it does so successfully. But the same issue occurs with attempting to use savestates or recording inputs, it just errors.
Dammit

Post by Dammit »

You can rebind the hotkeys in fba-rr in Input > Configure hotkeys. Those keys may currently be bound to something weird. You should be able to set them however you want.

If games used to work and now don't, it could be because they were broken in vanilla FBA. blip's version is from so long ago that differences like that may be apparent. It's messed up how the FBA developers let these problems go on.

I'll add those errors to the pile.
Dammit

Post by Dammit »

Here's some workaround tricks with macrolua if you want to record clips but savestates are crashing.

* Script a reset at the beginning of the macro with "~". You'll have to include the join in and character select sequence in your macro.
* Use the codes below to skip the startup green screens.
* Lean on the fast forward hotkey to reduce the wait.

Code: Select all

cheat "quickstart: Euro + Japan-S2 BIOS"
default 1
0 "default"
1 "skip checks", 0, 0xC1315C, 0x60, 0, 0xC1315D, 0x00, 0, 0xC1315E, 0xEB, 0, 0xC1315F, 0x08

cheat "quickstart: Euro-S1 + Japan-S1 BIOS"
default 1
0 "default"
1 "skip checks", 0, 0xC1314E, 0x60, 0, 0xC1314F, 0x00, 0, 0xC13150, 0xEB, 0, 0xC13151, 0x16

cheat "quickstart: US BIOS"
default 1
0 "default"
1 "skip checks", 0, 0xC131E8, 0x60, 0, 0xC131E9, 0x00, 0, 0xC131EA, 0xEA, 0, 0xC131EB, 0x52

cheat "quickstart: US-E BIOS"
default 1
0 "default"
1 "skip checks", 0, 0xC13184, 0x60, 0, 0xC13185, 0x00, 0, 0xC13186, 0xEA, 0, 0xC13187, 0xB6

cheat "quickstart: Asia BIOS"
default 1
0 "default"
1 "skip checks", 0, 0xC1212E, 0x60, 0, 0xC1212F, 0x00, 0, 0xC12130, 0xEB, 0, 0xC12131, 0x36

cheat "quickstart: Japan BIOS"
default 1
0 "default"
1 "skip checks", 0, 0xC134FA, 0x60, 0, 0xC134FB, 0x00, 0, 0xC134FC, 0xE8, 0, 0xC134FD, 0x92
CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

Just a random question, I'm about to upgrade to windows 7, does FBARR have problems running on 64bit operating systems? Should I get windows 7 professional which has "XP mode" or is that not necessary? Been on XP this whole time :lol:
Dammit

Post by Dammit »

I'm using XP 64-bit edition and I get about the same kind of trouble as everyone else.

In general 32-bit stuff works in 64-bit windows but not the other way around.
CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

Getting a warning that this contains a trojan:
http://code.google.com/p/fbarr/download ... z&can=2&q=

Can't run FBA-RR without it. Anyone know if it might be a false positive?

edit: yeah the Kaspersky anti-virus program keeps telling me that lua51.dll is a virus. It's an old file from 2009 though, I doubt it would be any different to the one I was using before. Maybe I'll just use a different anti-virus program...
Dammit

Post by Dammit »

The file is OK. I think mz pulled it from some official lua package.
error1

Post by error1 »

so I made this silly rose combo to see how branching would work in an emulated game
http://www.filefront.com/16976789/sfa2r ... owtest.mp4
but, I can't figure out how to record it with the backgrounds off. You can turn them off to take screenshots but it won't record with them off
Dammit

Post by Dammit »

Yeah I wanted to do that for something else. I thought of using automacro to advance and capture each frame but the shot factory window cockblocks all input, even from FBMs.

This was on Drom's list but no one ever got around to it.
error1

Post by error1 »

yah to do it with autoit for each frame you would need to
open shot factory, turn off all your backgrounds, take a png, exit shot factory, and advance a frame
then combine all the pngs into a avi afterwords
my experience with auto says that would be a problem
Dammit

Post by Dammit »

Here's an autoit that does just that.
http://pastebin.com/L1tHZrA4

Proof of concept:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/10jziawvh ... BGtest.mkv

It can't grab any faster than 1 frame per second because of how screenshots are named. And you can't touch your computer while it's working. Stupidly, stupidly ghetto but it works.
error1

Post by error1 »

very neat, I didn't think it would work, crashes whenever I try to capture tho.
Dammit

Post by Dammit »

=(
Dammit

Post by Dammit »

New release, 0.0.5
mz made a small fix which eliminates a lot of the guru meditation crashes. It also brings it up to date with main FBA and adds some other things.
Maj

Post by Maj »

I'm using fba-rr-v005a and when SFA2 Ryu's HP FB sets Ken on fire and you load a state before Ken hits the ground, he stays on fire in the loaded state. Pretty easy to reproduce, not character-dependent, and it works with purple flame too. You can fix it by reloading the state or simply pausing.

Also i can't figure out how to clear 3P and 3K button mappings. I know you can get rid of what's there by clicking on it then pushing Delete, but it always comes back the next time i open FBA.
Buttermaker

Post by Buttermaker »

Click "Make default".
Maj

Post by Maj »

That button is grayed out. It becomes clickable when i select Player 1 from the first drop-down box, but when i delete the 3P/3K inputs then click Make default, they come back.
Buttermaker

Post by Buttermaker »

Map Game Inputs wrote:Make selection in all three drop-down boxes, click apropriate [sic] button.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Um, there are two lines of text in that menu. What do you think are the odds that i didn't read them? I'm trying to think of a reason you'd post that other than to irritate me and i'm coming up empty. Why not just say "rtfm" and be done with it?

If i'm doing something wrong here, i clearly have no idea what it is.
error1

Post by error1 »

yah it doesn't work for 3ks and 3ps the way it's supposed to for me, you can even manually edit the preset file and it doesn't seem to care
Buttermaker

Post by Buttermaker »

Set your keys up and remove 3P/K. Select "Player 1", click "Save preset" and exit "Map Game Inputs". Open it again and select "Player 1" and the preset you just saved (middle drop-down box). Click "Make default."