Rufus

Re: Looking for Programmable Controllers

Post by Rufus »

That's close to what I did.
ShinjiGohan

Post by ShinjiGohan »

Rufus wrote:
onReload wrote:Awesome! So is now when you consider it a total success, or do you have more stuff to test?
I'd call it a qualified success. It's still a little flaky.
It appears that SFIV runs at 60 fps when it's on my computer display, but 59.94 when it's on the TV/recorder setup...

Also put up some pics (not much to look at, really)
http://www.pedantic.org/~nate/HDR/controller/
I forgot to respond to this. But seemingly (at least for the PS2), if you send a PS2 signal to a regular TV, it'd play at 29.97 fps interlaced or 59.94 deinterlaced. However if you send it to a computer monitor, it'll play at whatever speed your refresh rate is at. Using a combination of a PS2 VGA cable and a software called "HD TV Player" by Blaze, it forces your PS2 to output to the CRT VGA monitor at whatever refresh rate you specify. So if you choose to have a refresh rate of 75hz, the game would indeed play at 75fps. So obvious using something like autoit which plays on a computer (like PC SF4) the game is playing at 60fps so the timing is different than it'd be if you were playing a console version on a regular TV. Thats not even considering video lag from the TV that you're playing on.

Just another hassle for tournament players now a days, as well as TAS combovideos/playthroughs.
CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

ShinjiGohan wrote:Thats not even considering video lag from the TV that you're playing on.
If it's a constant speed, it shouldn't matter tho right? I thought monitor input lag was only a problem if you use visual cues and play on different kinds of monitors with different input lag. Wouldn't a macro work on any lag speed, as long as the game speed/monitor refresh rate is always the same?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

ShinjiGohan wrote: I forgot to respond to this. But seemingly (at least for the PS2), if you send a PS2 signal to a regular TV, it'd play at 29.97 fps interlaced or 59.94 deinterlaced. However if you send it to a computer monitor, it'll play at whatever speed your refresh rate is at. Using a combination of a PS2 VGA cable and a software called "HD TV Player" by Blaze, it forces your PS2 to output to the CRT VGA monitor at whatever refresh rate you specify. So if you choose to have a refresh rate of 75hz, the game would indeed play at 75fps. So obvious using something like autoit which plays on a computer (like PC SF4) the game is playing at 60fps so the timing is different than it'd be if you were playing a console version on a regular TV. Thats not even considering video lag from the TV that you're playing on.

Just another hassle for tournament players now a days, as well as TAS combovideos/playthroughs.
I'm not sure about the PS2->{magic spaghetti doodle}->VGA arrangement, but Xbox360 -> VGA Cable -> Monitor displays at just about 60 hertz. (The refresh rate is in the video signal for VGA stuff. The easiest way to do NTSC->VGA also means having the same V-sync. HDTVs that don't have adequate refresh like 1080p25 TVs for example would have issues, but people tend not to use those, and I'm not sure how much of that there is.
ShinjiGohan

Post by ShinjiGohan »

CPS2 wrote:
ShinjiGohan wrote:Thats not even considering video lag from the TV that you're playing on.
If it's a constant speed, it shouldn't matter tho right? I thought monitor input lag was only a problem if you use visual cues and play on different kinds of monitors with different input lag. Wouldn't a macro work on any lag speed, as long as the game speed/monitor refresh rate is always the same?
Thats the thing, my brother was watching some tests of an LCD which was supposed to have the same timing as a CRT. and at the beginning they did but every so often the lcd would get 30ms laggier and then resync itself, like it sped up for a split second so that it seemed like it didn't lag but it did. So not only do these HD TVs lag, it isn't even constant lag but variable.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

ShinjiGohan wrote: Thats the thing, my brother was watching some tests of an LCD which was supposed to have the same timing as a CRT. and at the beginning they did but every so often the lcd would get 30ms laggier and then resync itself, like it sped up for a split second so that it seemed like it didn't lag but it did. So not only do these HD TVs lag, it isn't even constant lag but variable.
You don't really care about what the display does as long as you're in sync with the game - i.e. the Xbox/Playstation/Wii/Whatever.
ShinjiGohan

Post by ShinjiGohan »

Except if the display is running faster than normal and thus the game moves at a faster speed.
error1

Post by error1 »

no, you can disconnect the display and the game will run at the same speed
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

error1 wrote:no, you can disconnect the display and the game will run at the same speed
At least on my Xbox360, this isn't quite true. 59.85 fps on the TV, 60.15 fps on VGA (it also varies a little by game).
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

So, I've got a proof-of-concept for controller driving through hyperterminal on windows working, and up on my website.
http://www.pedantic.org/~nate/HDR/controller/

Very limited testing, and AFAIK I'm the only one that has hardware which will work with it, but it should allow AutoMacro scripts to work with my Xbox.
Dammit

Post by Dammit »

Nice. I should update automacro sometime...
CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

I'm gonna buy 4 of these and get started on those programmable controllers soon...
http://akihabarashop.jp/images/PS360infopage.jpg

Just a heads up in case anyone was looking for pcbs, these look really good.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

CPS2 wrote: Just a heads up in case anyone was looking for pcbs, these look really good.
Huh, they do look nice. I'm curious what the 20 connections are for.
noodalls

Post by noodalls »

Rufus wrote:
CPS2 wrote: Just a heads up in case anyone was looking for pcbs, these look really good.
Huh, they do look nice. I'm curious what the 20 connections are for.
https://akihabarashop.jp/images/PS360HookUpSmall.jpg

There be your asnwer. Wonder what the turbo button does.

Edit - that sounds harsh. I mean I wonder how quick the turbo button is 20,30,15fps etc.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

noodalls wrote:
Rufus wrote:
CPS2 wrote: https://akihabarashop.jp/images/PS360HookUpSmall.jpg

There be your asnwer. Wonder what the turbo button does.
I got some more info. There are 4 grounds, and the turbo button is used for (among other things) the console switching process.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I got a couple of these on my desk. I suppose I could test the rate of fire on the turbo.

My sister is apparently planning to give me an Arduino of some kind for christmas, so I'll look into making software for using that with the PS360s.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Not that any of you are likely to care, but I updated my software, and changed the location of the web page...
http://www.pedantic.org/~nate/controller/
CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

Ah so how is it on windows now? About the same as linux or is linux better?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

CPS2 wrote:Ah so how is it on windows now? About the same as linux or is linux better?
Some of the stuff I'm doing with that is linux-specific. I've got an Arduino, and I'll try to put together a platform-independent USB ppad set up.
noodalls

Post by noodalls »

Gotta be concerned about a controller that advertises "Combo Moves" and then doesn't actually show any.
CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

Is there any detailed info on this controller? I had a look around but couldn't find any, and it's about the same price as a microcontroller so isn't really worth buying just to see if it's any good. It does connect to a PC which is promising...
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

If anyone is still looking for an ASCII V Pad Pro, there is one on Yahoo auctions:

http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/a ... n103824439

5000yen comes out to about $62 USD. It doesn't say anything about the pad's screen being broken, afaict. If someone wants to get it, they'll have to go through a middle-man service, though. This is the only one I know of: http://www.m-world-service.com/ once you contact them, they'll tell you the details of how to send the money and how much it'll be in total.
wolverine-master

Post by wolverine-master »

Maj, If you're not using your controller can I please borrow it?
Mine is shot....after buying that converter for the dreamcast I'm pissed to realize that it doesn't power the stick. Can I please borrow yours?
If yes, I will refund the money for shipping and stuff.
What do you do with an expired programmable controller? I can't sell it. I can't fix it. It's just a regular stick now.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

wolverine-master wrote: What do you do with an expired programmable controller? I can't sell it. I can't fix it. It's just a regular stick now.
Not the one from me?
Maj

Post by Maj »

wolverine-master wrote:Maj, If you're not using your controller can I please borrow it?
Sorry dude, i'm still using mine. Gotta finish those two SF4 videos and somehow there's always more projects to work on. Plus i still need to test stuff every once in a while - either for articles, or answering random emails, or ComboVid stuff, or whatever.
wolverine-master

Post by wolverine-master »

Rufus wrote:Not the one from me?
No sir. I'm currently using that to see if I can find any advanced UMvC3 stuff.

Thanks Maj. It was worth a shot.
I would ask magnetro (knowing he's the only other person I know of that has one/two) but if he won't sell it, I don't think he'll lend it.
I guess people are going to have to get used to my MANUAL execution.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

wolverine-master wrote:
Rufus wrote:Not the one from me?
No sir. I'm currently using that to see if I can find any advanced UMvC3 stuff.
I'm a little curious to know how well it's working for you. The interface has some issues...

In principle, it's not so hard to make something like that which will work on the Dreamcast.

If it's just a power supply issue, you may also find a local modder who can put a power connector on the controllers.
eidrian

Post by eidrian »

wolverine-master wrote: What do you do with an expired programmable controller? I can't sell it. I can't fix it. It's just a regular stick now.
Is it a programmable stick or a pad?