A few Real Bout chain combo obvesrvations and what not

talk about how great training mode is
Tizoc

A few Real Bout chain combo obvesrvations and what not

Post by Tizoc »

This info will most likely not be as in depth as the majority of the threads in the GE Analysis forum, but I just wanted to post some of my observations on some game play elements in the 3 arcade Real Bout games.

I'll add more to this over the next few days, and fix and grammatical errors and such.

Legend
A button: Punch/P
B button: Kick/K
C button: Strong Attack/S
D button: Switch to a different plane/Lane/L

Supers & power bar in general in the RB series:-
There are 2 types of Supers in the RB games; S. Power and P. Power. S. Power is when the the gauge is filled up while your life is not in the red, whereas P. Power supers are only possible when your gauge is full and life is in the red. Note that when the power gauge is full, it will start depleting, after which it must be refilled again. Note that the gauge does not reset between rounds.

Life bars in the RB games are divided into 2 colours; Yellow and Red. When the Yellow bar gets depleted (50% of a character's life), the life bar will start flashing red, and that character will take a little less damage from attacks and combos. Whenever your life is in the red, you could do an infinite amount of S. Powers.
It should be noted that in Real Bout 2, the damage difference between S. Powers and P. Powers is not very big, the reason behind this is because P. Powers are easier to combo into as opposed to S. Power supers, at least in Real Bout 2

When the power gauge is at least 50% full, characters can perform Break Shots; Guard Cancels. However, only certain special moves can be used as Break Shots. You can use Break Shots so long as you have power gauge energy over 50%. Note that in RB Special and 2, the gauge will read H Power when it is above 50%. From what I've seen, Break Shots seem to use up around 30% of the power gauge.

Real Bout: Fatal Fury
Breakable walls: Each corner of the stages in RB (with the exception of Geese's final stage I think) has 'breakable' walls, if these walls are broken, and a character is pushed through them, they will be 'Out of Bounds' and lose the round; i.e. it's like Ring Out in Virtua Fighter.
Breaking Walls doesn't seem to be that easy from what I tested, but numerous attacks that hit a corner opponent or the wall will eventually cause it to break, e.g. Mai's Jumping S-->St. S-->Super combo will leave the wall at least one hit away from breaking! The walls in all stages seem to take the same amount of attacks before breaking though.

Lane: RB1 had 2 lanes; the background and the foreground. When in either of these 2 lanes, most special moves will not hit the characters, although some characters have at least one special move that hits in all 3 lanes (eg Mai and Joe). If an opponent is in either Lane, just press the D button to bring them back to the main Lane.

Chain combos: The main chain combo found in all 3 RB games is the simple P, K, S chain. For the most part the last hit (C) can not be comboed after or canceled into a special move or super. There are variations of it where the first, 2nd or 3rd button pressed can be a crouching attack.
You could for example do: Cr. P, St. K, Cr. S with some characters.
In regards to the 2nd sentence, there are a few characters who could cancel or combo off their P, K, S chain though not necessarily in RB1.

Other variations include ending the chain as a juggle or pushing the opponent to the other Lanes.
In Real Bout 1 majority of characters can do P, K, DB+S in order to juggle the opponent. If they end it with Fwd+S instead they may push the opponent to another Lane.
Note that the first chain mentioned above is CANCELABLE on the 3rd hit, so Terry for example could do Cr. P, Cr. K, DB+SxxRising Tackle for a near...40-ish% damage combo (seriously).

Supers damage: Majority of S. Powers in RB1 will take off the entire yellow bar of your opponent, whereas P. Powers will do at most 75-ish% damage. Furthermore, most BnBs in the game can do near 50% damage if they are preceded with a Jumping S.

Hit Stun: The opponent will remain in hit stun for a rather long number of frames after being hit by a Jumping S, allowing you to walk a step or 2 close to them to perform you desired combo.

I need to get me some shut eye now, but I will update this thread, and also I welcome any corrections and observations you guys may wish to comment about.