Everything YouTube

question anything pertaining to the craft
Maj

Re: Everything YouTube

Post by Maj »

You guys weren't kidding. The new default settings are pretty awful. You can sort of change it back to normal though, by checking "Show uploads only" and then clicking on "View" and selecting "Everything" instead of "Highlights" from that dropdown menu.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Yeah, the only annoying part is that it resets back to highlights like all the time.
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
Maj

Post by Maj »

Yeah i noticed a lot of companies are pulling that bullshit trick lately. Every two weeks or so, espn's embedded video player reverts to autoplay, so you have to pause an advertisement every time you open an article. Even the adobe flash installer keeps trying to set itself to auto-update every time you install a new update, no matter how many times you change the setting. And sometimes i use quicktime at work to look at TGA images, and it keeps trying to set itself as the default program, even if you disable the "check if quicktime is the default program" checkbox. It's a really dishonest and underhanded policy if you think about it.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Does anyone know how you unclaim videos? I just heard about MS's policy shift, so I want to remove the claim on my only video containt footage from one of their first party game, namely this one. Dunno if it actually counts as first party, but Twisted Pixel is owned by them, so I guess it does.

error1

Post by error1 »

From what I read Machinima has an agreement with Microsoft, so if you are a partner with Machinima nothing changes for you.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/ ... streaming/
Update: Microsoft says that pre-approved YouTube partner programs like Machinima are fine, though many big name gamers have expressed extreme frustration with that brand as abusing their “only game in town” status when it comes to gameplay videos. I’ve contacted Microsoft and am still trying to ascertain what this would mean for streamers.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Ok, thanks.

onReload

Post by onReload »

GUYS DON'T WORRY I WORK FOR MICROSOFT I'LL SORT THIS OUT

ALSO PRE-ORDER HALO 4
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Hey Maj,

Someone did it again! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8_RtIbdXNI

I love how not good the music goes with the video. Also, the end of the video, he adds his own credits, but just stops the video right before the real credits happen.

Do you wanna do the cease and desist thing?
Maj

Post by Maj »

Haha i don't know man, that's pretty entertaining if you ask me. How did you even find that? Looks like it's been up for almost a month and he's only got 22 views (from his 19 subscribers, presumably). I kind of want to see how long it'll take to reach triple digit views.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Maj wrote:Haha i don't know man, that's pretty entertaining if you ask me. How did you even find that? Looks like it's been up for almost a month and he's only got 22 views (from his 19 subscribers, presumably). I kind of want to see how long it'll take to reach triple digit views.
I was showing the vid to someone and i saw a screen cap in the results page that looked like it came from our vid. I found it pretty hilarious that he cut the video like the frame before the real credits come up, lol. BTW, I might make another gow1/2/3/CoO/GoS vid before Ascension :S
Maj

Post by Maj »

Whoa, really? That sounds awesome. Wish i had time to participate, but i'm really looking forward to seeing it.

I'm sure the God of War team will be happy to see it too, especially Shirts. He asked me to make a GoW3 combovid a long time ago, but the timing was really bad so i had to pass. I felt bad about it, even though there was literally nothing i could've done at the time.
Persona

Post by Persona »

Sucks that we can't see other people's tags anymore. ;_;

Unless I'm doing something wrong.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Nope, seems they're hidden now.

Sucks since I put so many silly things in the tags for the MvC3 soundtrack. But then again, I once got critizised for having DeeJay as a tag in a CV with no DeeJay combos, so it evens out I guess.

Persona

Post by Persona »

Hmm I googled around and you can still see some tags if you right click the page and click on view page source (I'm using Chrome).

I wonder if there's other ways.
Buttermaker

Post by Buttermaker »

ProjectSeoul

Post by ProjectSeoul »

Does anyone know what I should do about this?

http://i.imgur.com/jET8xW7.png

I've never really had a problem until this video. :(
Shinryu

Post by Shinryu »

If you're not partnered with a network (Machinina, Fullscreen, etc.) or a "full" partner with Youtube (Can't make a channel banner and such), then YouTube's process for accepting videos for monetization can be exceedingly arbitrary. Sometimes it accepts instantly, sometimes after a few hours, and sometimes it does that. As long as it's not a copyright strike, though, it doesn't really have any negative impact on your account (I had a bunch of those before partnering with a network). You don't have to do anything, but you won't make any money from that video.

If you still want to monetize the video, you've got a couple options. If you can get/provide commercial usage rights from the owner of the game, then they will allow you to monetize the video; I've only ever really heard of indie devs being so generous with usage rights, though. The other option would be to partner with a network, in which case the process becomes much easier; you claim your video, and that's it. The issue there is meeting the requirements for a network...
ProjectSeoul

Post by ProjectSeoul »

Ah ok, I don't have a problem not monetizing it. I'll just uncheck the monetization box for it. Thanks!
Persona

Post by Persona »

Anyone see a new option called, "Make an ad for this video"? Curious what it does.
Shinryu

Post by Shinryu »

Let's you advertise your videos at a cost... But it seems to be on arbitrary videos. >_>
Persona

Post by Persona »

Hmm curious, if you have to pay to let more people see your video, how exactly do you earn profit in return? Because from what I read, YouTube charges you for people who click your video and watch for more than 30 seconds.

The only thing I can see useful about this is having people watch your video so it gets bumped up in the search engine.
error1

Post by error1 »

the hope is that if someone sees your video they will buy what you are advertising. Kinda pointless to make an add if you are not selling something.
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

Is anyone else having their vids reload if they move to a different point of the vid? If my vid is loading or has fully load and i move further up (or back) in time on the vid, it will reload again. I remember that being a cache thing but now it still does it and in SOOOO annoying.

Anyone else have this issue, and how to fix it? Im using firefox.
Buttermaker

Post by Buttermaker »

Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

It says im not on it
Buttermaker

Post by Buttermaker »

Persona

Post by Persona »

Anyone dislike the new YouTube layout? I hate it! :(
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

What bothers me is that you can no longer highlight a video on your main page without it auto-playing. I HATE that, so I refuse to do it.

Persona

Post by Persona »

Is there a way to show more than four videos per section? One main reason I dislike the new layout is because of how large everything is (the larger, the less info/content you can show).

I was also going to use the vertical view for my videos but I noticed that the scroll option is disabled for it. WTF.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Google.... WHAT. ARE. YOU. DOING!? STOP FUCKING EVERYTHING UP! I DON'T WANT TO USE GOOGLE+ TO SEE WHEN I GET FUCKING COMMENTS ON MY FUCKING VIDEOS. IF I GOT TO CHOOSE BETWEEN WORLD PEACE AND ANNIHILATING GOOGLE, I'D CHOOSE THE LATTER!