Combonauts´CMVs

video previews, releases, and feedback
krusan

Combonauts´CMVs

Post by krusan »

Hi everybody.
I have just became a member here so I thought it would be OK to make a little introduction (if this is not the right place to do it, should the mods redirect the post)
I´m Krusan, from Combonauts, a humble combo-team with only two members: TigreIII and me. Some of you should know us. Many of you probably not.
We are a combo team that still refuses to do combos using other tools than our hands (while respecting whoever uses any other tool), and that usually does not use very elaborated set-ups nor bugs, trying to add some practical value to our vids.
Till now we have done CMVs for KOF 98UM, KOF NW, KOF 00, X-Men Next Dimension, CVS2 using ex-grooves, and a non-fighting related vid with a world record score for Dynasty Tactics 2 (if someone here knows this game).
You can watch or download our vids (all but the 98UM one) at http://combonauts.wordpress.com/ (currently under reconstruction)
Our youtube page is http://www.youtube.com/user/COMBONAUTS and you can watch our vids there too.
And that’s all. Hope you enjoy our work.
error1

Re: Combonauts´CMVs

Post by error1 »

Nice stuff. Great execution for a human. I'm not a fan of all the fancy editing but I know I'm in the minority with that.
I have a rule I normally follow where if the actual combos I came to see don't start in the first min of the video I'll turn it off. The KOF 00 throw2death video started around 1:40 but I watched it anyway and still managed to be entertained.
krusan

Post by krusan »

Thanx for watching and commenting.
About the edition, when we started to do vids we decided that we would try to not do vids where there was more edition-work than combo-work and, while perhaps our edition is a bit more fancy than many Capcom vids, where edition is usually the simplest, it´s quite less fancy than the usual SNK vids, where superproduction-like edition is often used.
Will update the post in the future with our new vids.
Maj

Post by Maj »

So in X-Men ND, any time you knock opponents up into the air there's absolutely nothing they can do until you let them land? That sounds like a God of War game. Are there any juggle limits?
krusan

Post by krusan »

Sorry for the delay in answering.
Yes, in X-Men ND, once you knock opponents into the air, there is nothing they can do till they land. Even more, there is not recovery roll, only "quick get-up" maneuver, so you can do an "Air seek" (launchers are called this way in X-Men ND), let the opponent go up, then fall down, touch the ground and THEN hit them with an OTG and, if you have done it right, it would be combo.
About juggle limits, there are, somehow. If you do more than one air seek in one combo, the dummy will not go so high and will fall down faster than normal, except if you "go up" with him, then that little "cinematic" plays and the dummy goes as high as normal, and he will fall down a bit faster, but not so faster. Keeping an opponent airbone while you combo him with more than one jump (as seen in the tutorial), makes the opponent fall down faster each time you add a jump. Usually, doing any "special" chain combo (air seek, juggle, stun, etc.) more than once, results in the second one being a far-and-fast-no-recovery-knock-down-with-quick-get-up, and it´s quite hard, if even posible, to continue the combo then, while there are some exceptions or ways to minimize this sometimes.
Something similar happens with OTGs. You can combo the opponent OTG only once and he would be able to wake up faster than with "quick get up". Anyway, supers usually can allow for another OTG hit.
Also, almost all corners and walls make the opponent bounce and cause stun. It can sound well, but, it usually screws your combo cos two reasons:
-If you had done an stun before, this becomes a second stun, then it becomes very dificult to combo after.
-While you keep hitting "forward" the opponent in this game usually gets moved to the sides while getting hit, even more against walls, then screwing the combo.
So, yes, there are limits, but you can somehow avoid them sometimes.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Ah ok. Yeah, that seems a lot more reasonable than "once you launch 'em, you can do anything forever."

Although i don't really like gravity increases as a combo limiter. Obviously it works, but it's not intuitive enough or elegant enough for me. With that system, you can never think of a combo while you're stuck in traffic because you need the game in front of you to test whether or not it'll work. I like math, but that's the wrong kind of math for a combo system.
krusan

Post by krusan »

New CMV by Combonauts!!!
"KOF 98 UM Combo Exhibition Vol. 2" that you can watch at our web http://www.combonauts.wordpress.com or you can download it here http://www.megaupload.com/?d=00OR37UN (good quality 41 mb) or here http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N90RWP22 (best quality 260 mb). Available at youtube here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-NHdKKMRLQ
Any polite comments are wellcome.
Thanx for your time.
Last edited by krusan on Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Whoa, that segment from 1:42 to 2:04 is really interesting. So opponents are considered grounded during CD impact freeze? And it looks like activating stock cancels your impact freeze so you can hit them while they're still stuck in theirs? Cool.

That Kim combo at 2:05 was really stylish and i loved the Mary combo at 2:16 too. Nice use of slow motion. That's really hard to do without ruining the video but i thought you guys did a great job of picking the right spots for the most part.

Nicely done sirs.
krusan

Post by krusan »

Thanx for watching and commenting.
Regarding that segment you talk about from 1.42 to 2.04 (there is another like this from 6.11 to 6.38 and even Shingo´s combo at 2.04 uses the same concept), it works, if I am correct in the following way:
In KOF, if somehow a not-nockdown attack hits at the same moment (or very few frames after) than a nockdown attack, then that nockdown attack would no longer do nockdown. Another example that I have seen used before with this concept is when a no-nockdown-fireball hits at the some moment than a CD attack, making this way that the CD attack does not nockdown. (hope all this is understandable)
So, doing a QuickMax just as the jCD (nockdonw) hits in the lowest posible part of the jump while falling down, you recover the last frames of that jCD, making your character "touch the ground" sooner than usually, and in this way, and using a normal attack (no-nockdwon) with as little start-up frames as posible, you can continue the combo with the oponent still grounded.
In the Mary combo at 2.16, the QM is used simultaneously to cancelling the normal (down C) into the special (d.u + P, then K), making in this way combo the normal into the special, that would normally not combo. The K part of that special allows juggles. This simultaneous QM-cancell is used in many other combos in the CMV to combo normals into special that would normally not combo.
Glad you liked it.
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

NIce vind with the QM with jCD. Dont recall seeing that at all.

Choi combo i liked most out of them all.

Appreciate the hand skill stuff as usual. Do you have the PAL version or something?
krusan

Post by krusan »

Hi, and thanx for watching.
Choi combo was a hard one to do.

No, it´s not the PAL version. What happens is the following:
First, I don´t have too much knowledge about those technical matters, so maybe there is an easier/better way to do it but the matter is that I record my combos with an HDD-DVDR, but that DVDR only allows me to record whatever on PAL so, even if the game is NTSC, I have to load the game on PAL when I´m going to record combos, that´s why it may look a bit slower than usual.

Glad you find something new on it.
Raine

Post by Raine »

Great work on this vid guys, it turned out really well.

First of all I would be impressed by your execution if these were done on an arcade stick, but apparently it was done a PS2 Pad? That makes it all the more impressive. The j.CD CH QM stuff was new to me as well and very interesting to see. I thought the following combos were the most enjoyable:

3:15 - Kensou vs Chang - nice work on the spacing to get far s.C and using the D version of SDM.
3:26 - Kyo vs Daimon - hmm I like this combo but you really should have done it with EX Kyo instead for the great soundeffects. UORYAAA!
3:52 - O.Rugal vs Chang - any combo involving a jump midway is really cool.
4:10 - Kasumi vs Chang - same as above. Delayed last hit on the SDM was p cool tool.
4:36 - EX Yamazaki vs Chang - awesome use of roll in the middle of a combo. great idea.
4:56 - Kim vs Chang - I like this one more than the qcb+P QM one that was earlier in the CMV. the slowmo works really well here.
5:15 - Heavy D vs Chang - OMG this combo was amazing. :) BTW do you know if this works on all characters or just big ones?
6:00 - Iori vs Chris - nice use of f+B in a combo.

Fitting choice of music, clean editing and being able to hear the original soundeffects made this a pleasure to watch.

You should post this at Cyberfanatix.
Don Vecta

Post by Don Vecta »

Remxi wrote:You should post this at Cyberfanatix.
It will be there. In the Spanish forums it's already there.
krusan

Post by krusan »

Hi, and thanx for commenting.
Indeed there are not SO hard combos in any of our vids, it is just keep trying and trying and trying and trying..., sometimes the hardest part it´s to set the opponent at the exact distance from the corner, or adjust the jumping distance for the crossup, but I know many of the combos that we do could have more hits, or that there are other better choices (DM instead of special, etc.), but I don´t have all the time in the world to keep trying, and I´m not so good. I know what I can do and what I can´t do. All combos usually have a "hard spot" that can be quite hard to pull of, the rest is not so dificult with training or it is even quite basic.
Really liked that you commented with so much detail.
I completelly agree with you about the fact that I should have used x-Kyo in that combo against Daimon, for the sound effects, I didn´t thought about it.
In the x-Yama vs Chang combo, the OTG part is indeed avoidable, but it was just to show the idea of doing QM from a weak to down D. Other characters with an OTG can do the same.
I too really like the combos that have a jump midway. 8)
Regarding the Heavy D! vs Chang combo, you need a character big (or maybe backwards Chris or similar) to make 2hits from jC and 2 from D and still be near enough to land the special command throw, the juggling part I suppose that works against everyone.
Glad you liked it.
Raine

Post by Raine »

Maybe I'm too early 'cause you guys haven't made a thread yet, but I absolutely love your new SSF4 zero damage vid. It was a good idea to begin with and you came up with some really interesting setups. You two are always amazing me with your work. Thank you!
krusan

Post by krusan »

Wow!!! So fast commenting!!! I am going to open a new topic for that vid right now.

(if you Maj think its better to put all our new vids in the same topic, just tell us)
Maj

Post by Maj »

It's totally up to you guys. I'm okay with new threads for every video, but if you want to reuse one thread for related vids, that's okay too.
krusan

Post by krusan »

Hi.
A new vid by Combonauts it´s out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uypOTRdz_A
KOF 02 UM - The Kasumi Bug Dossier -
We have been exploring around Kasumi´s bug (previously shown by K´Rows) and those are some interesting things we have found, mainly other bugs or combo applications.

Edit:
In an enormous display of cordination, TigreIII and me have posted the same vid twice, maybe you should post your comments, if any, in the other individual topic.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Hahaha that's pretty funny though. Comedy teamwork!
Tigre III

Post by Tigre III »

lol sorry! :lol: