The Entire Internet Is Amateur Hour

stay up to date on what's going on
Maj

The Entire Internet Is Amateur Hour

Post by Maj »

So the minute i released my Ryu vid, a bunch of people tried uploading it to u2b only to run into the unexpected problem that u2b can't handle 59.94fps MKV. (Instead of getting rid of every other frame, it doubles the runtime from six minutes to twelve.)

Then someone on SRK managed to convert the MKV file to AVI format so that u2b would play it properly. Dude was only trying to be helpful so i can't get on his case too much. But he used some garbage shareware converter which put a watermark right in the middle of the video for 60 seconds - not once, but twice.

He was nice enough to take it down when i asked him, but i guess some other fool had managed to download it from u2b and uploaded it to GameTrailers. So 112,458 people watched that thing with random words covering the center of the frame before i even found out about it.

How the fuck does something like this happen in 2009?
Magnetro

Re: The Entire Internet Is Amateur Hour

Post by Magnetro »

How does shit like this happen?

People have no idea how to do anything with actual video files since everything is flash video (which isn't real) nowadays. At least 112k people saw your video. :|
Maj

Post by Maj »

Dude. Is it really too much to ask for someone to spend that extra 30 minutes trying to figure out a real (non-terrible) solution?

Another annoying problem - there's like eight different duplicates of that Ryu vid on u2b right now. The one on the DFS channel currently has the most views/ratings/favorites but it would have twice those stats if the others didn't exist. Right now it's the #9 top favorited gaming video of the week, but there's a duplicate in the #12 spot. If you were to combine those two, it'd easily be in the #5 spot or higher.

And then there's this thing: Some dude posted it on his blog, comparing it to an Abraham Lincoln laundry lint portrait.

I'm gonna go ahead and blame SF4 for that one. This never would have happened back when the most recent Street Fighter game was Capcom Fighting Jam.
Maj

Post by Maj »

What the hell happened to my u2b channel? You can't even copy video URLs by right-clicking on the links anymore. That's annoying as fuck.
onReload

Post by onReload »

Maj wrote:What the hell happened to my u2b channel? You can't even copy video URLs by right-clicking on the links anymore. That's annoying as fuck.
They had that style of channel viewing as optional for awhile, and now it's the standard. No, I don't get it either. You can click the grid icon in the upper right, then Uploads to see stuff the way you normally would towards the middle of a channel page.
error1

Post by error1 »

yah I don't know anyone who likes the new style. Playing around with it a little I'm happy with it like this http://www.youtube.com/user/error00001
Maj

Post by Maj »

Their support forum is full of people complaining about the lack of an option to switch back. It looks like something that came out of a marketing focus group. I'm sure they have their reasons for the change, but it seems like more of an attempt to turn u2b into a social networking site than to provide better features for users.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Awesome, my website says "Error on page." because google adsense trusted h&r block to not be amateurs except they're amateurs so their giant vertical ad banner is glitched somehow. And since it's tax season, it shows up on every fucking page.