Background Music Muting Procedures

reference materials and general how-to information
Dammit

Re: Background Music Muting Procedures

Post by Dammit »

Does that really work?

The z80 seems to control some parts of the music as well as the sfx.
error1

Post by error1 »

it seems to work for sonic games, I'd have to check to see if it works for anything else, but it requires careful muting and savestateing in any case. As long as you turn the z80 back on after the music has loaded you still get sfx
Dammit

Post by Dammit »

OK, I found a way to mute the music in MotW and some other NGPC games.

Set up mednafen-rr (which is a whole nother ordeal), save this as "ngp.cht", and put it in the "cheat" folder:

Code: Select all

[dfea3ad9af4a631de6f97d86589b971e] SNK vs. Capcom - The Match of the Millennium (World) (En,Ja)
R A 2 L 0 000070f2 7f7f (nil)

R A 2 L 0 00007110 7f7f (nil)

R A 2 L 0 0000712e 7f7f (nil)

R A 2 L 0 0000714c 7f7f (nil)

[b361ed78f6126f94179dc69fe4c58781] King of Fighters R-2 (World) (En,Ja)
R A 2 L 0 000070f2 007f (nil)

R A 2 L 0 00007110 007f (nil)

R A 2 L 0 0000712e 007f (nil)

R A 2 L 0 0000714c 007f (nil)

[83fa4cb3c629aa57c12f9cec52c5a53d] Last Blade, The - Beyond the Destiny (Europe)
R A 2 L 0 000070f2 ffff (nil)

R A 2 L 0 00007110 ffff (nil)

R A 2 L 0 0000712e ffff (nil)

R A 2 L 0 0000714c ffff (nil)

(You do need the blank lines.)

It's the same four addresses each time but you have to try different replacement values for different games. The codes are activated automatically when you run the game.

You may have to adjust those first lines to match the name and checksum of your romfile. They get autogenerated if you make any dummy cheat code.
error1

Post by error1 »

nice, thanks that should be useful. those games don't have much sfx to speak of tho
Dammit

Post by Dammit »

When I finally got it I was like, wait, did I kill some sfx also? It sounds weird when they aren't hollerin out their moves.
Raine

Post by Raine »

Dammit wrote: Pugsy delivers:

:kof98:01100000:FD89:00000000:FFFFFFFF:No Background Music
That method should work for all the CPS2 and NeoGeo codes.
Does anyone know how I can find the memory location that refers to the music in kof2002? I was able to mute the music ok for kof98 because the cheat file already had a music select cheat that I was able to edit to a blank soundtrack. The cheat file doesn't have a music cheat for kof2002 however, and I'm unsure how I'd be able to get it. Also what does the binary in the second number refer to? It seems to be different for all the kof2002 cheats. I guess I need to use to RAM search feature to isolate the memory location by running the search multiple times with different music playing, but I'm unsure how it works. btw I'm using FBA-RR.
Dammit

Post by Dammit »

This one works:

cheat "background music"
0 "default"
1 "kill", 1, 0xFD89, 0x00
Save it as kof2002.ini and put it in support/cheats. With NeoGeo games you have to put in the code before the match starts or you may get residual noise. There's other ones in the mutecode.txt that comes with macrolua.

If you are using FBA or a newer MAME you'll never need to deal with that awful old format, so don't worry about it. I don't understand it myself.
Raine

Post by Raine »

Ahh thank you very much for doing that research and compiling it. I'd deleted the FBA Examples folder so I didn't notice it... :oops: :oops:

<3
Raine

Post by Raine »

Pugsy was kind enough to update the Kill Music cheat to the XML cheat format used by the newer MAME versions. It should be in the offcial cheat file from now on.

<cheat desc="No Background Music">
    <script state="run">
      <action>audiocpu.pb@FD89=00</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>
This is for: garou, kof98, kof99, kof2000, kof2001, kof2002, kof2003, lastbld2, samsho5, samsh5sp, svc.

You should be able to adapt this format so it works with other SNK games by changing the memory location referenced. At list of the other locations can be found here -> http://www.mamecheat.co.uk/forums/viewt ... 26&start=0& or in the mutecodes.txt Damnit linked in the above post.
Maj

Post by Maj »

The best way to completely shut off background music in SF4 (and SSF4?) is to create a silent MP3 file, put it on a USB drive, load it onto the console, and play it after you start the game. I usually do it after i reach the mode menu and it stays in effect until i turn off the PS3.

If you don't want to go through the trouble of making your own, here's mine - probably too big, but whatever.

edit: On second thought, that is too big. Here's a more efficient version.
error1

Post by error1 »

The best way to silence audio in sf4 pc is to find the folder street fighter ivBattleSystem
all of these files are bgm but the game will crash if you delete them.
You can replace them with another sound file however.
First make a backup of the folder, then find the file GAME_SE.csb in street fighter ivGameSound. Delete the bgm you want to mute then copy and rename GAME_SE.csb to whatever that bgm was. Do this for each bgm you want to mute.
spookydonkey

Post by spookydonkey »

Maj wrote:The best way to completely shut off background music in SF4 (and SSF4?) is to create a silent MP3 file, put it on a USB drive, load it onto the console, and play it after you start the game. I usually do it after i reach the mode menu and it stays in effect until i turn off the PS3.

If you don't want to go through the trouble of making your own, here's mine - probably too big, but whatever.

edit: On second thought, that is too big. Here's a more efficient version.
alternatively, you can use any music(presently, i recommend 'ride the tiger', no not jefferson starship, rather akiras theme from vf2) from a usb drive... & pause it when youre ready to cap :mrgreen:
ewige blumenkraft!
Dammit

Post by Dammit »

Here's a Gens mute code for Garou Densetsu/Fatal Fury 1 and 2, if anyone wants it:

FFF000:0101	mute 1
FFF002:0101	mute 2
(Save as a .pat file with the same name as the rom, put it in the patch folder, select Game Genie from file menu, and highlight the codes to activate.)
Maj

Post by Maj »

Not sure why it took me so long, but i finally published the initial post on ComboVid:

Background Music Muting Procedures

I didn't want to get into details about cheat codes in the article itself, but it would be cool to add that stuff in the comments area just so we could have it all in one place. Whenever though; no hurry. (Although if someone requests a specific game, i might bug you guys about it.)
Maj

Post by Maj »

Are there any codes for SF1? The method i listed works fine, but the problem is every character aside from Ryu/Ken is CPU-only which means it's damn near impossible to set up combos against them without emu save states.
Dammit

Post by Dammit »

Here's the code in the newer MAME xml format. You can copypaste into an existing xml or create a new file.
FBA does run SF1 but has serious audio problems with it.

<cheat desc="No Background Music">
   <script state="run">
      <action>audiocpu.ppb@C100=00, audiocpu.ppb@C104=00, audiocpu.ppb@C130=00, audiocpu.ppb@C134=00, audiocpu.ppb@C160=00, audiocpu.ppb@C164=00, audiocpu.ppb@C190=00, audiocpu.ppb@C194=00, audiocpu.ppb@C1C0=00, audiocpu.ppb@C1C4=00, audiocpu.ppb@C1F0=00, audiocpu.ppb@C1F4=00</action>
   </script>
</cheat>
Maj

Post by Maj »

Cool, thank you sir. Guess i'll finally have to pick up MAME-rr now. It seems like the better option across the board.
Dammit

Post by Dammit »

mm, not quite. There's no rerecording for now so you only have macros, and getting video out is a little trickier. But if you rolled with framemame you know what to expect.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Wow, i didn't realize that MAME-rr lets you apply cheats to existing save states. That's awesome! In FrameMAME you had to create a whole new save state with the cheat already active.
Dammit

Post by Dammit »

That may have been game specific or a problem with that version of mame. Cheat codes generally apply themselves continuously and shouldn't need a savestate to work. But as I've seen, some mute codes can take several seconds to kick in fully.
AquaTeamV3

Post by AquaTeamV3 »

Just curious, is it possible to mute the music in Street Fighter EX3 at all? I opened the disc tray, but all that did was make the music stop and start at weird intervals. You can turn the music all the way down in the options menu but the music is still audible, faint as it is. Looks like I may end up just choosing a track that masks the faint BGM well or something.
ShinjiGohan

Post by ShinjiGohan »

Thats really all that you can do.

Thought most people like the EX3 soundtrack so you might not even feel a need a 2nd music track. Unless someone hacks a no music code or something with codebreaker.
CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

I've switched over to mame-rr and don't know how to enable cheats to mute the bgm. I unzipped cheat0142.zip (1506KB) in the same folder where the emulator is, so i have cheat.zip (25,630KB) there, then i open command prompt, run the emulator with "...mame.exe mvsc -cheat" and set a hotkey to enable cheats, and it says they are enabled, but i can't see any cheat options in the tab menu... someone help me please :P
Buttermaker

Post by Buttermaker »

CPS2 wrote:set a hotkey to enable cheats
Never heard of that.

All you need is -cheat (or "cheat 1" in mame.ini, which you can create with mame.exe -cc) and it should look like this.
onReload

Post by onReload »

In MAME32, Plus, etc....there's F6 by default to Disable/Enable all Cheats
CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

Hm I got it sorted, I just had files in the wrong directories.
Dammit

Post by Dammit »

Yeah, the cheatpath near the top of the ini determines what mame expects the zip/folder name to be. XMLs in the folder override XMLs in the zip if they are both there.

Also, the Toggle cheat key doesn't affect whether the item shows up on the menu. It's just a convenient way to disable whatever is already active.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Does someone have one for PC AE? I tried what I did in Vanilla (replacing the BGM_TRN.csb with a 0 kb file), doesn't seem to work.
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
error1

Post by error1 »

I replaced it with one of the narration csbs like I did in vanilla and it works
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Yeah, that worked. Thanks.
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen