Backward hitting attacks in ST

talk about how great training mode is
Goryus

Backward hitting attacks in ST

Post by Goryus »

In a lot of ST videos (and particularly in Tosaka's stuff), you see someone cross up an opponent, and then hit them with an attack while facing the wrong way. I've been able to get this to work sometimes in macros, just by doing an attack on the first possible frame after the cross up.

But does anyone know what exactly all the conditions are in order for this to happen? It doesn't seem to work every time, or with every character, even accounting for frame skip. I'm currently theorizing that it has something to do with hitting them with an attack that doesn't *really* cross up, but lands you on the other side of them anyways.
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do.
When you understand why you reject all the other possible gods, you'll understand why I reject yours.
Maj

Re: Backward hitting attacks in ST

Post by Maj »

The main trick is causing your opponent to reel backwards fully before you land. That way their head is extended past your body and it takes the game a little longer to figure out that your opponent is actually behind you. Here are the basic rules that apply to most characters:

1) must use a medium or hard jump attack because light attacks don't trigger full hit reel
2) opponent must be crouching because jump attacks cause more pushback against crouching characters, plus they lean back further
3) jump attack must hit early enough during jump arc to give opponent enough time to lean back fully before landing
4) 1P characters must cross up by jumping from left to right and 2P characters must cross up jumping from right to left

It's much easier to perform against opponents who lean back the farthest during hit stun, such as Blanka, Honda, and Chun Li. Certain characters have a much easier time getting this to work than others. Most notably, T.Hawk and Chun Li can bypass almost every rule listed above. It has to do with their flat descent arcs, plus having crossup attacks with great vertical and backwards horizontal reach.

If you take a closer look at combo videos, you'll start noticing patterns and it'll become easy to figure out which characters have to obey all the rules. Generally with Tosaka and zerokoubou videos, if they can find a way to break one of the rules above, they'll show it off. If they abide by the rules, that probably means they couldn't find a way around them with the character they were using and/or the combo they had in mind.

There are one or two additional rules but they're hard to pin down and they don't come into play very often.
Goryus

Post by Goryus »

Thanks Maj, that's really helpful! Damn you're fast.
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do.
When you understand why you reject all the other possible gods, you'll understand why I reject yours.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Another thing to keep in mind is that performing an early crossup attack during a forward jump can give your character too much time to fly forward before landing. Depending on the unique jump arc of the character you're using, putting that extra space between your character and the opponent can be a deal-breaker. That's why a lot of backwards attack setups utilize the corner in one way or another. It's also why you see a lot of vertical jumping attacks employed in these setups.