What will become of GGPO?

stay up to date on what's going on
Dark_Chaotix

What will become of GGPO?

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

http://www.capcom-unity.com/s-kill/blog ... _hd_remix_

So what will this mean for GGPO players and games?
Maj

Re: What will become of GGPO?

Post by Maj »

As far as i know, everyone expects GGPO to stop supporting ST whenever STHDR gets released. GGPO will probably stay strong with all the other classic games that everyone still plays. With that in mind, it's definitely good news that the STHDR team is taking notes from GGPO.

As for the existing ST scene on GGPO, i don't know what's going to happen to them. Hopefully most of them will switch over to STHDR.
ZenFire

Post by ZenFire »

I also expect the ST GGPO players to decrease in numbers. I don't actually play on GGPO, but I'm really curious as to how the rollback affects animation. I can't imagine anything above 1 frame of smoothing looking 'good', but I'll have to try it out I suppose. STHD doesn't have much of an excuse to perform worse than GGPO under similar latency IMO. Visually it's mroe demanding, sure, but GGPO has to perform rollbacks on an emulated game which AFAIK means re-emulating a couple of cycles of the game with a new state. How can that be faster than a game that has its net-code built into it? Maybe I'm over-estimating the power of the 360's cpu, or maybe I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about. Where's MikeZ? Explain this to me.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Nobody knows where Mike Z has gone ...

Yes it's quite sad.

To answer your questions - actually it's a fair bet that STHDR's release will be immediately followed by a GGPO update that no longer supports ST. Ignoring emulated SFA2 and MvC1 netplay is one thing, but i can't imagine Capcom being ok with a ton of people playing ST online for free while they're trying to sell the same product.

Not that i'm an expert on netcode or anything, but i don't think that CPU load is the bottleneck when you're talking about old school CPS2 games. Maybe it becomes an issue if you try to play 3S online, but any decent modern computer should be able to handle running multiple copies of ST without slowing down, right?
ZenFire

Post by ZenFire »

I don't know. Possibly. I have a hard time grasping just HOW fast computers are sometimes. At my work I do all my work on a VMware image, and it runs really smooth. That's basically a Java VM inside a VM running an entire OS on top of Windows XP. That's pretty shocking when you think about it.

Even so, it's not so much the fact that emulation takes time, but more the fact that the netcode for GGPO runs on another (higher) level that made me say what I said. However, when I think about it, the reason why GGPO isn't a Kaillera type client that works on every game is POSSIBLY because it requires knowledge of that specific game's structure so it can handle it's state more efficiently.

Anyway, all blind speculation (on my part) aside, how excited are people about the remixed mode? If I had to put my money on it, I'd say not so much. Which then makes me think GGPO would definitely compete for STHD's audience's attention (2-hit apostrophe combo). GGPO can still run ST even without official consent, can't it? So won't people still be able to play?
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

thats not what ggpo does. the test client can handle all sorts of games, that has nothing to do with the structure, ponder just has to add a little code.... afaik.