Majestic Screenshot Gallery

video previews, releases, and feedback
Maj

Re: Majestic Screenshot Gallery

Post by Maj »

Time for some more classic Capcom game intros.

Image ~~~ Image

The first is from the SFA intro and the second is from the SFA2 intro. Both are the very first frames showing Ryu and Ken with their arms outstretched.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Everything about the Marvel series tends to be a lot more ... crowded.

Image ~~~ Image

The first is the MSH title screen, depicting the entire default playable cast. The second is an ensemble shot from the MvC intro.
Maj

Post by Maj »

And now for something different ...

Image ~~~ Image

"Because bears can be mean, but frogs are always cool." - Mitch Hedberg

The first is SNES Brutal: Paws of Fury. Ivan the Bear is recovering from dizzy animation after having killed Foxy Roxy. The second is SNES Killer Instinct. Orchid's Danger Move turned Jago into a frog, but she spared him and now they're posing together in front of a vintage convertible.

Alright guys, i'm done for a while.
Mike Z

Post by Mike Z »

One of the people I work with did most of the animation for Brutal, including the intro/ending (yes, one character has an ending!) animations for the non-SNES versions. He was both happy and sad to see the game again.
(^.^)

Mike Z
Maj

Post by Maj »

Backgrounds are great and there's some other cool stuff in the game, but there's also a ton of game engine oddities. For example, there's no super meter but every character has Katas which are supermove-esque combinations of the character's special moves, with elaborate commands involving holding buttons. Some of them also make the character dizzy at the end, as an additional cost of using the move.

Ivan's Rage of the World Kata is a sequence of three jumping ground pounds which cause decent damage and knock down the opponent if they're standing on the ground. He's got two other Katas, but this is the only one that makes him dizzy at the end. He looks his meanest when he's recovering from dizzy. Unfortunately, this move causes knockdown animation like a sweep, so Foxy Roxy would have been laying on her back with her feet facing the screen. That kinda annoyed me.

It turns out that if you hold any direction or push any buttons or perform any other action immediately after the Kata, it suspends Ivan's dizzy animation. So i just held forward to walk until she got up, KO'd her with s.HP and then Ivan went into dizzy animation as soon as he recovered from the punch. She laid down on her side like normal, stayed down (cuz she was dead), he did his evil-looking recovery pose before going into his win animation, and everything worked out perfectly. Yay easily exploitable programming!
Maj

Post by Maj »

Partners unite like never before
Unleash the ultimate attack!
Combine forces with the Duo Team Attack!
(insert 2 coins)

Image ~~~ Image

The first is SF2CE Ryu's vertical j.MK over Guile's F+MK knee. The second is SSF2 Vega's LP Claw Thrust over Bison's HP Psycho Crusher. In both instances the stage is scrolled all the way to the corners, but there's still a distracting amount of overlap.
desk

Post by desk »

^^favourite so far. You're taking the medium of dual screenshots to a whole new level. I bow to you sir.
NKI

Post by NKI »

Hahaha, good stuff.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Kind of along the same vein, but way less avant-garde (haha) ...

Image ~~~ Image

The first is SF2HF Guile's j.HK against Guile's F+HK upside-down kick. The second is SSF2 Guile's c.MK against Guile's F+HK upside-down kick.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

The second one is on a really bad stage. I could barely see the blue Guile.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

It's called camouflage!
Looks like Jolly Ranchers & Baskin's Sherbet.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Plus it's Mexico! How can you hate on your motherland? If there was an Armenia stage in Street Fighter, i'd have made an entire combo video taking place exclusively on that background. Maybe two combo videos. And a glitch video.

Seriously though, it's not the background's fault even though the New Challengers' stages are way too bright. The problem is that i wanted to use black and white outfit colors, and that's really hard to pull off on any stage - especially when you can't move around cuz you're trying to capture "99" on the clock. Anyway, T.Hawk's stage was one of the only ones left unused so i just wanted to cross it off the list.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Maj wrote:Plus it's Mexico! How can you hate on your motherland?
Maj wrote: If there was an Armenia stage in Street Fighter, i'd have made an entire combo video taking place exclusively on that background. Maybe two combo videos. And a glitch video.
Glad you said your joke before I did.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Guess it's turned into a series now, but this is the final piece.

Image ~~~ Image

The first is SFA3 A-Juli's lvl3 Spin Drive Smasher under V-Juni's HK air Spiral Arrow in VC1. The second is SSF2T Dhalsim's j.D+HP drill times two, half rotation out of phase.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Now that i've started posting these screenshots in various other forums, it's probably a good idea to move this thread out of the way for a little while. Better to play it safe, i think.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Epic Super Clash: Episode 14!
(SVC Chaos: SNK vs Capcom)

Image ~~~ Image

The first is SvCC Guile's Sonic Hurricane against Terry's Double Geyser. The second is SvCC Goenitz's Fuujin Ibuki against Demitri's Demon Flare. Although the Fuujin Ibuki is a rush super, the second hit often whiffs when the first hit connects against an extended limb. As long as the fifth hit doesn't whiff, Goenitz goes on to create both tornadoes. Blocking the fifth hit gives Demitri plenty of time to jump away before the first tornado appears.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Weapons are for wussbags!

Image ~~~ Image

The first is SvCC Ryo's Tenchi Haoken smacking the hell out of Vega's s.HP iron claw, instantly dizzying him. The second is SvCC Balrog's Ultimate Wild Smash punching the tar out of Genjuro's s.LK katana. The reason Genjuro's name is dim is cuz it's blinking from just having lost over half his lifebar.
Maj

Post by Maj »

desk wrote:Just want to check with everyone... a vid with nothing but screen shots would be rubbish right?.. because maj has inspired me to do one.
Been thinking some more about this, and there might be a way. Referring to the Balrog vs Genjuro screenshot above, it doesn't look nearly as cool in uninterrupted motion because there are only two or three frames where both attacks are displayed. Sure, there's a dramatic impact freeze before Genjuro starts flying away, but he's already in air reel animation when the freeze happens. Because of the way Genjuro leans forward, it looks like his face might have somehow reached Balrog's fist, so you don't even perceive the whole fist vs sword thing while you're watching this in motion.

However, there's definitely something missing from the screenshot as well. You don't get to see Genjuro getting knocked clear across the screen, or his lifebar draining until all the yellow is gone, or Balrog recovering safely without a scratch.

One of the coolest things about taking this screenshot with an emulator was being able to watch the setup, then pause on the impact frame, then unpause to watch the aftermath. If your video editing mimics that interaction, i think you could totally pull off what would essentially be a screenshot video.

late edit: For an excellent example of how this would look in action (as well as the most likely subconscious inspiration for this entire post), check out the Ryu/Vega scene intro at 1:51 in NKI's Super Turbo Shenanigans video.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

If your video isn't content driven where you can't pause at any minute 'cause it'll break the flow, you can present all the content however you want. Think of a theme for how you'll present the content. I love videos like this because it gives you a lot of editing freedom.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Well, I certainly want to see a video. But unfortunately I have no advice on the matter.
Looks like Jolly Ranchers & Baskin's Sherbet.
Maj

Post by Maj »

The craziest thing about ... SF2 World Warrior:

Image ~~~ Image

The game totally panics when it has to arbitrate ties. You can get all the way up to ten rounds, which is called "F.Round" so the ninth is pictured instead. Both players lose when the final round ends in a draw, and one of two things takes place. If one player had entered the game before the other, then the 1P portrait is displayed on the continue screen with two countdowns in the top corners. If both players had entered the game at the same time, then the continue screen is replaced by an instant "Game Over" screen, as pictured above. By the way, Chun Li is always dressed in bright orange in her WW portrait, although it's slightly dimmed in the screenshot because portraits start greying out before the "Game Over" sign appears.
Maj

Post by Maj »

By the way, here are the public threads where i've been posting screenshots twice a week:

Majestic Screenshot Gallery on SRK
(where posting images is disabled everywhere except the media forums)

Majestic Screenshot Gallery on HigherVoltage
(featuring wallpaper-sized versions of ST Fei Long vs Balrog clash)

Majestic Screenshot Gallery on Cyberfanatix
(the only forum where two screenshots can't fit side by side)

Majestic Screenshot Gallery on NeoGAF
(someone actually contributed Samurai Shodown and Bushido Blade double KO screenshots)

Majestic Screenshot Gallery on Penny-Arcade (closed)
(now with more elitist moderator hate, proving that there's always room to be more closed-minded)

El oh el @ Vice Vecta and felineki seeing those for the first time.
NKI

Post by NKI »

Wow, good shit to Echo @ Penny Arcade. GOOD SHIT.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

The King of Sweden can do whatever he/she wants.

Post them on youtube (jk).
Maj

Post by Maj »

The craziest thing about ... X-Men Children of the Atom:

Image ~~~ Image

Escaping throws costs meter in COTA, but some characters' throws escapes are actually attacks that cause damage - namely Colossus, Iceman, Psylocke, and Sentinel. In turn, these throw reversals can be escaped and reversed as well. In fact, if two characters chosen from the list above have maxed out meter, one throw can be followed by four reversals, ending with a 3-hit combo message on one side and a 2-hit combo message on the other. The first scenario above is simply COTA Iceman's F+HP throw reversal in response to Omega Red's F+HP air throw, with Omega Red beginning to freeze even before Iceman grabs him. Check out the frozen footprint on the floor, left behind by Iceman taking a step forward. The second is COTA Psylocke's F+HP throw reversal in response to Storm's superjumping F+HP air throw, with its tornado dissipating harmlessly.
Mike Z

Post by Mike Z »

Something today happened in 3s that I think would make a good series of sshots if it happens elsewhere: 2p Makoto did j.Fwd over 1p Ryu doing his HK hurricane and traded hits with Ryu's backward leg. The hitsparks were the same size, both facing the same direction, and were exactly 1 pixel offset from each other...meaning there was a green hitspark with a red drop shadow, and it looked really cool.
NKI

Post by NKI »

COTA is bananas!
Maj

Post by Maj »

Mike Z wrote:Something today happened in 3s that I think would make a good series of sshots if it happens elsewhere: 2p Makoto did j.Fwd over 1p Ryu doing his HK hurricane and traded hits with Ryu's backward leg. The hitsparks were the same size, both facing the same direction, and were exactly 1 pixel offset from each other...meaning there was a green hitspark with a red drop shadow, and it looked really cool.
Wow, i can totally imagine that being awesome. Part of the charm would get lost in a screenshot though, because you wouldn't get to see both hitsparks animate identically. I bet it would look much better as an animated gif, or as a series of fast-paced clips edited to match some background music.
Maj

Post by Maj »

The craziest thing about ... X-Men versus Street Fighter:

Image ~~~ Image

XSF Rogue's Power Drain special allows her to steal one special move from each of the other sixteen characters. A handful of exceptions aside, every one of these moves comes with a different animation. How many 2D sprite-based fighting game characters do you know with access to over fifteen unique special moves? MvC2 is the only other game where Rogue is a playable character, but that version of her Power Drain only grants her status boosts instead of additional moves. The first scenario above is XSF Rogue's HK Stolen Power (from Charlie) against Charlie's Sonic Break. The second is XSF Rogue's LK Stolen Power (from Zangief) against Juggernaut.
Maj

Post by Maj »

The craziest thing about ... SNK vs Capcom Chaos:

Image ~~~ Image

SvCC suffered from the CvS1 curse of having only four buttons, which meant most of the Capcom cast needed to forfeit quite a few normal moves. In a bizarrely valiant effort, SNK decided to make up for the loss by animating a ton of crazy new vertical jumping attacks for any Capcom character with multiple existing jumping attacks based on recycled sprites. The first example is SvCC Sagat's vertical j.HK against Bison's vertical j.HK and the second is SvCC Demitri's vertical j.HP against Dan's vertical j.HK looking somehow less goofy than Sagat.