Majestic Screenshot Gallery

video previews, releases, and feedback
Maj

Re: Majestic Screenshot Gallery

Post by Maj »

I've collected some more intro screens which i think are worth posting. I know non-interactive cinematics aren't very exciting but i still like 'em.

Image ~~~ Image

The first is from the RBFF intro before the screen turns white and the second is from the MSH intro before the Capcom logo appears.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Terry is way cooler than Kyo.

Image ~~~ Image

The first is from the FF3 intro and the second is from the MotW intro.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Ryu and Terry have a lot in common. Ryu is also way cooler than Kyo.

Image ~~~ Image

The first is from the KoF2k2 intro and the second is from the SvCC intro.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Moriya is cool too.

Image ~~~ Image

The first is from the LB intro and the second is from the LB2 intro.
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

Snks SVC intro has got to be one of the best intros ever. Blows the pants off of cvs 2. Man, if only capcom was less dedicated to making a quality game (probably not but we can hope) and more dedicated to sprites, imagine the intro!!
Maj

Post by Maj »

Yeah, i'm sure it would be something to see. I think the best 2D Capcom intros ever would probably have to be SFA2 and SFA3. The alternate console intro for SFA3 is the only time Guile ever appears in an intro as far as i know.

By the way, the cool thing about last page's XSF Charlie vs Rogue shot is that Charlie's superfreeze keeps Rogue in her cool energy trail pose long enough for the Sonic Boom to get in front of her, making the whole thing look a lot better. Some of the dust even fades away. Forgot to mention this stuff earlier.
NKI

Post by NKI »

Maj wrote:I think the best 2D Capcom intros ever would probably have to be SFA2 and SFA3.
Word, SFA2 intro is HOT.
Maj

Post by Maj »

The craziest thing about ... Street Fighter Alpha 3:

Image ~~~ Image

Super shadows ignore superfreeze in most Capcom games, continuing to animate without pause. Normally this has no tangible effect on gameplay, but A3 Variable Combo shadows aren't your typical harmless decorations. They're capable of delivering attacks as well as creating projectiles. The first scenario is SFA3 A-Cody's lvl3 Dead End Irony superfreeze being used to narrow the interval between V-Rolento's HK Stinger and its VC2 duplicate. The second is SFA3 A-Birdie's lvl3 HP Bull Revenger (punch version) superfreeze closing the gap between V-Sakura's HP Hadoken and its VC2 replica. In both cases, one of the three projectiles is an original and the other two are generated by VC shadows. Of course the first original had to be disposed of; otherwise Rolento and Sakura wouldn't be allowed to throw another projectile. Luckily, VC shadows aren't subject to this regulation.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Hey if anyone's still thinking about making a video based on this stuff, there's already a proof of concept out there:

NKI Vol.10 - Super Turbo Shenanigans

You'll know what i mean if you look at the Ryu/Vega scene intro at 1:51 as well as the three-clip sequence running from 2:27 to 2:47. In fact it's a safe bet this video was mostly what led to my earlier suggestion, but i totally didn't even realize it.

Usually i'm pretty good at keeping track of what came from where, but something similar already happened with this specific video. We were watching some TZW thing and he used the same exact walk under backwards attack setup that NKI performed with Cammy and Fei Long in this video. So i said something dumb like, "Wow that looks familiar" and NKI was like, "Uh, it should, cuz you saw me show it on a giant screen a couple of hours ago."

Sorry again sir.
NKI

Post by NKI »

It's all good. It's not like I even came up with those walk-under cross-ups myself anyway. I saw Cammy and Fei players in Tokyo actually doing that stuff in matches.

As for a "Majestic Screenshot Video", I think it could be successfully pulled off if you show the all the relevant footage leading up to (and after) the moment of the screen cap, and sync it up with a hot beat.
desk

Post by desk »

Maj, I'm about to make your thread a whole lot more ghetto, I apologise in advance :oops:
-
-

I can't capture from my 360 and the smaller I made these pics the worse they looked (and they didn't look good to start with).

The first is a whiffed kick throw against a frozen shin akuma. The second is the first frame of akuma's punch throw behind a shin akuma frozen in red fireball recovery. The last one is cool 'cos it kind of looks like he's teaming up and throwing another fireball, the first is just weird.

I did try for a long time to get an air fireball stuck so that it looked like akuma was actually throwing it ground to air. It never really worked though :(
Mike Z

Post by Mike Z »

They still let you do that in HDR? Some things never change...
NKI

Post by NKI »

Just to confirm, you're playing the "Original" mode, not "Remix" mode, right?
desk

Post by desk »

haha, it's remix mode :)
NKI

Post by NKI »

Oh, I thought there was only one Akuma in Remix mode. How do you get Shin Akuma?
desk

Post by desk »

You fight him at the end if you don't lose a continue. I'm assuming he's unlockable as well, I seem to remember seeing a vid of someone using him, before the game came out.

EDIT: scratch that, I found that vid. It was someone playing against Shin akuma. I think I might be wasting my time completing the game with every character :(
Maj

Post by Maj »

Retro Reenactment 01!
(Street Fighter Alpha 3 by X-Men versus Street Fighter)

Image ~~~ Image

SFA3 V-Akuma's LP Zankuu Hadoken performed twice in VC2 against A-Cammy's lvl3 Spin Drive Smasher, reproduced by XSF Akuma's Tenma Gou Zankuu against Cammy's Spin Drive Smasher.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Retro Reenactment 02!
(Vampire Savior by Street Fighter Zero 2 Alpha)

Image ~~~ Image

VS Victor's HP Gyro Crush against Bishamon's LP Karame Dama -> LP Tsuji Hayate, reproduced by SFZ2A Zangief's PPP Lariat against Gen's lvl1 Zan'ei.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Retro Reenactment 03!
(King of Fighters 96 by King of Fighters 94)

Image ~~~ Image

KoF96 Ryo's Haohshokohken SDM against Krauser's Kaiser Wave DM, reproduced by KoF94 Takuma's LP Haohshokohken against CPU Rugal's Kaiser Wave.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Retro Reenactment 04!
(Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike by Super Gem Fighter Mini-Mix)

Image ~~~ Image

3S Ibuki's Kasumi Suzaku against Chun Li's Kikosho, reproduced by GF Ibuki's Kasumi Suzaku against Chun Li's Kikosho.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Retro Reenactment 05!
(King of Fighters 2001 by Street Fighter II: World Warrior)

Image ~~~ Image

KoF2k1 Leona's HK Gliding Buster against Yuri's HP Double Yuri Chou Upper, reproduced by WW Guile's HK Flash Kick against Ryu's LP Shoryuken.
Maj

Post by Maj »

So uh ... how come nobody liked these? Too random? Not believable enough?

Is it because XSF character portraits look so hideous?
NKI

Post by NKI »

I liked them. :)

I even liked some of the ones involving ugly-ass SNK games!
Maj

Post by Maj »

To be fair to SNK artists, the Neo Geo hardware was released in 1990. That's nine-zero. By the time KoF reached its fourth installment, i'm sure there wasn't a single unused pixel to be found on those cartridges.

SNK has a lot of terrible character designs (Kensuo, Yuri, Benimaru, ALL of KoFMI's new 3D characters), a lot of boring character designs (Lucky, Brian, Clark, Daimon, everyone from Art of Fighting except King), but they also have a lot of top tier character designs (Terry, Blue Mary, Leona, Vanessa, anyone in a Samurai Shodown game). The distribution is about the same as you'd find at any established fighting game development studio.

Their sprite artwork usually looks great when it's new or updated, but a lot of their characters inevitably contract Morrigan syndrome (most notably Iori and King). Outdated sprites eventually go from being gritty to grimy, especially when someone like Kim gets a new standing animation and starts telling everyone to quit cramping his style. Overall i wouldn't call it ugly though. I certainly spent my fair share of the 90's downloading KoF97 animated gifs from geocities and angelfire websites.

SNK has terrible backgrounds though. Their crowd shots are so bad. Between the stages and the lifebars/superbars, there's too much ugly to play off.
NKI

Post by NKI »

Maj wrote:I certainly spent my fair share of the 90's downloading KoF97 animated gifs from geocities and angelfire websites.
Hahahahahahaha...damn that was funny to me. :lol:
Maj

Post by Maj »

Sparring Rivals: Ryu and Ken

Image ~~~ Image

Easily one of the most classic rivalries in video game history. The first is MSF Ryu's air Shinkuu Hadoken against Ken's Variable Combination super initiated with Ryu's Shinkuu Tatsumaki Senpukyaku via the CYODS glitch. The second is 3S Ryu's Shin Shoryuken vs Ken's Shinryuken.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Clan Rivals: Kyo Kusanagi and Iori Yagami

Image ~~~ Image

Probably the most iconic SNK rivalry, active nonstop since Iori's debut in KoF95. The first is KoF97 Ex-Kyo's Orochi Nagi DM vs Adv-Iori's Ya Sakazuki DM. The second is KoF2k Kyo's LP 182 Shiki DM against Another Iori in striker form, summoned by K' (who has disappeared via LK Blackout).
Maj

Post by Maj »

Power Rivals: Terry Bogard and Wolfgang Krauser

Image ~~~ Image

Hero and villain of Fatal Fury 2: The New Battle - arguably the best fighting game anime ever made. The first is FFS Terry's back plane LK trading hits with Krauser's front plane LK. The second is RBFFS Terry's Overheat Geyser against Krauser's fully charged Kaiser Wave.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Ninja Rivals: Galford and Hanzo

Image ~~~ Image

When two major characters have this many stylistic similarities, they don't need any canon interaction to be considered rivals. The first is SS2 Hanzo's Utsusemi Chizan against Galford's Rage Gauge activation, while Hanzo's Tenma Rimetsu and Galford's Replica Dog animate in the background, along with two falling bombs courtesy of the courier. The second is SS4 S-Hanzo's Fujite Mijin Gakure against S-Galford's AB Double Mega Strike Heads, with Rage Explosion in effect for both characters.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Beauty Rivals: Chun Li and Morrigan Aensland

Image ~~~ Image

Chun Li represents Street Fighter and Morrigan represents Darkstalkers in nearly every single crossover game featuring both series. The first is GF Morrigan's Strong Throw against Chun Li's PPKP Flash Combo ender, with a Banana item to the left and three item balls going off on the right: Lightning, Flame, and Petrify. The second is MvC Morrigan's lvl3 Eternal Slumber against Chun Li's Senretsu Kyaku, with (2P color) Saki assist departing.