Challenge 09: Ballin' Like Kobe

what... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
Maj

Challenge 09: Ballin' Like Kobe

Post by Maj »

Combo two horizontal Blanka balls in any game without using customs, momentaries, or assists/tagging. Counts as a two-pointer in every game except SFA3, where it's worth only one point since everything juggles for free (throw). One accepted entry per person.
fullmetalross

Re: Challenge 09: Ballin' Like Kobe

Post by fullmetalross »

This one is very hard. I've tried sooo much stupid stuff But I can't figure it out with out stun combos... Time to bust out an old pos game and try that I suppose.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Yeah between Blanka being airborne and the charge timing, this one's no joke. I've only gotten it work in one game. But you know with broad challenges like this, there are always one or two alternatives that i couldn't possibly have anticipated. I'm sure you'll find something if you have enough time.
desk

Post by desk »

yay, i'm taking part again!!!!

the first time i tried this I found nothing and thought it was impossible. Then just reading the responses it hit me...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LOHJL9PV

ghetto capturing but I'll upload a better version at some point. Just because I think It would be awesome to compile everything for a video at some point in the future if people were willing.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Nicely done sir. WW Blanka was my answer too, except i used a funky corner setup instead of having the opponent walk forward.
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

I didn't know that happened in WW : (
Dammit

Post by Dammit »

error1

Post by error1 »

nice find with the fire dizzy, does that work vs sim?
also possible in sf4 with fa or gen trade
nothing in the rules says you can't do this with dizzy, right?
Dammit

Post by Dammit »

I guess it goes without saying dizzy doesn't count. And I have no idea what happened with the flame dizzy. It might work on anyone.

You should see how many you can get in SF4 just to spite this hard ass challenge.
error1

Post by error1 »

Maj

Post by Maj »

Oh wow, i can't stop laughing. That was one of the awesomest things i've ever seen, all the way down to using hit stun for back-charge. As if that wasn't enough, SSF2 Blanka upball off the cans was absolutely brilliant.

Two points! Although i probably won't bother updating The Score at this point (unless you insist), since i kinda forgot the last few times anyway.
Dammit

Post by Dammit »

Thanks. Actually I kinda wish I found out about the ball rebound earlier, which is closer to desk's WW trick. It would have made for an easier solution and can be done on the car stage.
Maj

Post by Maj »

That wouldn't have been as original as the stuck-under-oildrums solution though, so i'm glad it worked out the way it did.

Also i just saw your blog post about this clip. I ran into the same "close/far attacks are determined by proximity to bonus stage targets" issue when i was working on Evo Guile. I actually wanted to record a combo with tons of far attack links, but Guile wasn't the right character for it. Maybe Blanka or Fei Long or Chun Li?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Maj wrote:I actually wanted to record a combo with tons of far attack links, but Guile wasn't the right character for it. Maybe Blanka or Fei Long or Chun Li?
Not sure how different it is in Super, but in SSF2T, it's the close attacks that have better frame data... Several of them link to themselves. Notably, Blanka's close strong has a good hitbox, and stupid fast frame data.
Maj

Post by Maj »

That's why it didn't work for Guile, but Blanka/Chun/Fei have some frame advantage on their far mediums. If you put the opponent between yourself and the car, you can perform as many far attacks as you want at point blank range without pushback.

Alternatively, you can use the oil drums stage to combo far attacks with pushback - by cornering yourself and having the opponent next to you, after knocking the oil drums to the other corner. That way you can show a "natural" pushback combo of far attacks starting from point blank range.