Community Drama

stay up to date on what's going on
Maj

Community Drama

Post by Maj »

Sometimes it's fun to follow along. Once in a while it's even fun to chime in and instigate. Some people know how to make it real entertaining. Even when people go as far as threatening violence, they're never serious. Ok, yeah, some people are dumb enough to mean it but it's too rare to be a problem.

Let's get started.

What's with all these young'uns disrespecting old man Valle? Doesn't anyone remember rebel without a cause Valle?
Magnetro

Re: Community Drama

Post by Magnetro »

Hahahhahaa whats funny is I encouraged him to do like half the things he did/posted. including most of the disses to omni hahahahahah

Also tried to get him to do this:

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showpost.ph ... count=3241

dpc started a fight but yeah.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Seems there's "real" drama, of sorts, going on http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=158247

Kind of reminds me of the whole Jinmaster J ordeals. Not that Jinmaster was ever fucking with SBO, but similar issues arose (like royally fucking people over and not paying people, etc).
Looks like Jolly Ranchers & Baskin's Sherbet.
Maj

Post by Maj »

That's crazy. Seems like SBO always causes trouble. I guess the first person to present a case for running SBO qualifiers get the approval from Japan and then the whole community has to deal with making them play fair. There are always complaints no matter what.

I think it would be better if Evo was considered SBO qualifiers simply because everyone is already there. I mean if we have SBO qualifiers for 3S at FFA, that's kind of unfair to everyone who can't justify flying to Cali for a ghetto little one-day tournament.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Yeah I wondered what the reasoning behind Evo not being involved with SBO quals was. I assume there's a reason, but I dunno.

I agree with you regarding the Evo being SBO quals. I wonder how things would work out if it was run more like a sport, with teams in a league. Could have playoffs to qual for Evo which quals for SBO.
Maj

Post by Maj »

The main reasons have been:

1) The dates for Evo and SBO qualifiers don't match up.

2) SBO qualifiers give people an excuse to have another tournament event, which is always nice.

3) Some people are power-hungry attention whores.

4) Sometimes the US gets multiple slots, so it's better to have regional qualifiers.

The main reason Evo kind of took over everything is because Toyota wanted more events as part of the Evo package. But i don't think Toyota is going to be the primary sponsor of Evo anymore, though i'm clueless about the details plus i'm not even sure if that's supposed to be public knowledge. Anyway the point is that a lot of the established tournaments are on their own again, so one of those should turn into SBO quals instead of giving the responsibility to some shady characters. I'm sure people with a vested interest will figure it out on SRK though.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Seems Marn has kicked up some real drama at SB3. Reading his rebuttal made me facepalm.
Maj

Post by Maj »

The Link in your post looks to be Klaige's side of the story. Here is Marn's rebuttal taken from a chat log. That whole fiasco is out of control. Kinda funny what this random fool says ...
R.D.K wrote:LOL LOL sorry that you guys had to experience that for real. Thats what you get when you have a "top player" handle things!!! LOL
It's kinda somewhat almost true. Except when it's not, aka usually.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Yeah, it's really not.

.. Well, to be fair, the examples I'm thinking of may be special exceptions to the rule.
Maj

Post by Maj »

When you consider the people who have volunteered to run brackets at Evo over the years, it's obviously not true at all. But it's still an interesting statement because i can see why people would be quick to hate on top players given at least a legitimate sounding suspicion.

One of the things i absolutely love about the fighting game community is that it's small enough for almost any top player to be accessible. None of those guys are on TV or making $200k a year off tournament winnings, so most of them don't act like celebrities. That said, i'm sure everyone has had at least one experience where some top player wasn't especially helpful, so it's easy to put two unrelated things side by side and call it a correlation.
Magnetro

IMPORTANT Community Drama

Post by Magnetro »

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread. ... ost5665656

Two dudes said really dumb things about Ohio. Zach got mad and closed his site for today. Everyone flaming the persons.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Regarding accessible top players, I agree on all sentiments. At least in my experiences there was never exclusiveness that I was ever aware of.

Except when location is involved. While it's true that if you live locally then access to various levels of the player base are pretty much highly accessible, the other hand is that if you live out in the middle of nowhere then it's more than reasonable to complain about not getting access. And this is precisely why I'm an advocate of casual internet play. I get kinda annoyed by those that appose the concept. IMO, It's a stepping stone and a bridge, not a direct replacement or threat.

But I don't really want to stir up that discussion again over something like this. Just a thought.

But yeah in retrospect, I'm just surprised Marn was entrusted with anything at all.
Maj

Post by Maj »

MJ posted the news about joo's MvC2 DVD preview on CV's front page and he just had to include a direct link to the file hosted on Preppy's webspace. Preppy eventually found out and posted angry comments, MJ acted innocent, then BlazeD came around to delete the original post and make a new one with a youshare download link instead.

I don't know what it is about these minor fiascos, but it really annoys me when dissenting comments get deleted or covered up.

Whatever. Hopefully they realize that trying to silence the guy who runs zachd.com/mvc2 is a losing strategy.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Yeah. Zach sent me the page where their link went to. The URL said something like "www.zachd.com/mvc2/Stop_Direct_Linking_ ... g_Assholes". He was contemplating linking them to Lemon Party. lol.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Yeah, CV isn't doing so good these days. At one point, people were submitting content to CV on a daily basis. Obviously that was before u2b gave everyone access to free video hosting with a built-in audience. Given what CV was trying to do, i think their best bet (and only hope) would have been to reach out to their content providers and do whatever it took to make them happy. Anyone that submitted a video should have gotten free CV Plus perks for like three months, plus they should have taken anyone willing to make a video and made them a staff member in some minor capacity. Anything to keep those people loyal.

As it stands, there simply aren't enough video makers who are committed to CV and i think their best chance has passed them by. Maybe the SF4/TvC combination will give them another shot at it, but HD footage costs money to capture and to host. Could go either way.
Persona

Post by Persona »

Doesn't help much either that some CV staff members enjoy making fun of other people's work. :p
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

BlazeD is cool peoples. However, he has had little to nothing to do with his own site for a long time due to IRL stuff, among other things. The site more or less ran itself with the help of whoever wanted to volunteer. And to me this is totally understandable.

Also, back when he was active, he did give perks. I'm on permanent free premium status after submitting my Guy video. But this isn't something he could keep doing forever since that place was costing him money.

Anyway, IMO It's really amazing how well it did in the past.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Oh he's definitely one of the good guys - there's no denying that. Every time i've talked to him, he's always been cool.

But there's no reason to stop handing out perks or finding other ways to entice content providers because either:

a) However much money he loses by giving out free perks to video makers is returned many times over by CV's spectator audience.
or
b) Content producers are the majority of his paying customer base which is doom incarnate anyway since there are so few of us.

From my view, i don't see how they could have hoped to succeed without going all out. As it stands, CV has a large enough library of content to continue being relevant as an archive but that's not exactly healthy for a website aiming to make money. Then again, i've always thought that it was borderline hopeless to try to make money off the SRK community. Told him too, way at the beginning. Who knows though, maybe those ads on CV do make a little money.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Well 1) AFAIK the site didn't even pay for itself most of the time. But it's not my site, so I don't know the numbers.

Being that it didn't really pay for itself he was dishing out his own money for his own personal project because he thought it was a good idea. No one should knock him for providing good service just because it wasn't a perfect service.

And 2) The good reason not to keep doing handouts was because life took priority and he couldn't focus on the site. Now, obviously he could have handed that ability down to some one more active, but I personally would not expect him to do such a thing just as much as I wouldn't do it myself without the prerequisite of entirely abandoning/closing the site (if it were mine) first.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Oh this isn't about criticizing the guy. I'm just saying that such and such needed to happen for CV to even have a shot at reaching its goals. Even if everything was done right, i'm still not convinced that he would have been able to generate a profit with SRK as his primary customer base. Hell, SRK itself has been around for over a decade and there still hasn't been a year where those dudes have broken even.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Not sure what made me do it, but i went and started some drama with some random old school players:

Absolutely broken: walk forward while holding charge on SRK

Brawlin' starts on page seven.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Autoblocking crossups. Wowzers. Does that actually work?

What about down+back while holding forward? Do you walk forward or crouch?

I suppose even if you crouch you can still maintain charge while transitioning. That would mean you could be crouching blocking perpetually, then step forward a bit while autoblocking high and maintaining a charge. Kind of scary.

Well, I would agree that it wouldn't be very difficult to spot people abusing charge holding, but the autoblocking of crossups is a much bigger deal if it actually is consistent.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Nah, if you crouch, you're crouching. It's a fucked up oversight and clearly detrimental to gameplay. Nobody's disputing that and in that thread i already stated in plain terms that i think it should be banned.

My problem is with this persistent culture of permanent dissatisfaction. Okay, fine, so neither SF4 nor STHD are perfect games. Does that mean we want to be grumpy from now until SF4 Champion Edition? It's obvious which games are going to be at Evo so i vote that we call a moratorium on grumpyness until after Evo is over. It'll make SRK and Evo seem a lot more appealing for newcomers and it'll save the players a lot of grief in the meantime.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

The general public is always dissatisfied. Always and forever.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Anyone have any idea what this is about? I'm so lost.
Raine

Post by Raine »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7CAYoXo_IE

Here is a excerpt from the stream that might help. Apparently some dude grabbed the mic and said "sayonara bitch" and then people accused skisonic of saying it and everyone got really salty about it (imho it doesn't sound like him at all). btw when he says "bitch" at the start, he's referring to what Daigo is thinking about the opponent, not calling him one (the context got cut off so it doesn't make sense in that vid). What actually was sad and disappointing was Marn acting like an arrogant dick (took the mic and bragged to the livestream) and the crowd chanting shit like "USA" and "Goodbye" because he scrubs out a victory against Daigo (not saying Marn is a scrub but that set was fairly sloppy by both players). No respect.
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

It was an in-the-moment thing. It'll all blow over soon. Oh, and yeah, it wasn't skisonic. they cleared it up a little while after it happened.
Making no profit since 1987...
Maj

Post by Maj »

That sucks. Then again he's been doing this routine for so long that i guess we can't act surprised anymore. Though if it leads to a bunch of Japanese players coming over for the next big tournament, that would be kinda cool.

I heard the Marvel tournament got pretty rowdy too. Someone beat Justin and talked shit in front of everyone?
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

Hm. . I don't know about that, Maj, but I did watch the Yellow Button Drama that almost got Yipes in a fist fight (on MvC2). I believe he was playing either Neo or Shmidt. Mid match there was a malfunction on a fighstick, and it caused a huge comotion after it caused a loss. Yipes and his opponent ended up reenacting what had happened. Yipes still won. It was great.
Making no profit since 1987...