Community Drama

stay up to date on what's going on
CPS2

Re: Community Drama

Post by CPS2 »

Yeah some sites will ban you if you use an ad blocker. But I thought they didn't have a way to detect it?
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Wtf, I've used adblocker for years, and I've never heard about something like that XD
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

what a strange day...
Maj

Post by Maj »

What happened? Are you referring to that Cross Assault show? I haven't been able to watch it, but i heard Dr. Sub-Zero and Sherryjenix got eliminated and some piles of salt appeared?
CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

http://www.twitch.tv/thisislijoe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bGdZEpNmeQ

sorry for not explaining, basically Mike Ross beat Jago 5-0 at SFxTK and then in the car ride back, they were talking about faking their reactions etc and Arturo secretly streamed it. Everyone's been blowing up at each other for being fake and staging matches etc since. Soooo much drama right now :lol:

Link to the matches: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... count=4199
Maj

Post by Maj »

Hahaha wow, amateur hour! I don't even know what to say. I'm still caught up in how bizarre it is that these dudes are trying to be celebrities, but it doesn't surprise me that a bunch of gloryhounds ended up doing something shady for publicity. Gotta admit though, the acting was pretty convincing.
error1

Post by error1 »

the matches defensibly were not fake, Jago was having trouble switching all day
Maj

Post by Maj »

Yeah but i remember watching that episode of Cross Counter (or whatever it was) where FC Jago was the guest, and him and Mike Ross were trading heavy insults. It seemed uncomfortably serious.

And i admit that River City Ransom spoof was funny, and that i prefer fake hostility over real hostility - but i don't really see why this crap has to exist at all. It's just a bunch of shifty dudes getting way ahead of themselves and thinking they're more clever than they really are.
onReload

Post by onReload »

That's why I have to laugh when it gets exposed/explained like this. But people making it into such an issue, as though it's killing some part of the fighting game scene...This sort of coverage never used to exist, people never used to fly across the country regularly for rematches, and people never used to be sponsored to the point where we would have to question how much they really have at stake. It's a product of gaming turning into a form of entertainment for spectators, and it's not terribly important news.
onReload

Post by onReload »

What was really bothering me during the first two days (i wasn't at work, so I watched a lot of the stream) was the pandering to horny stream monsters, but it seems like it's been addressed...Anyone know how things went down? also, Jared visited and deleted his own stream archive...?

edit: Wow, nevermind, way too many things are happening all at once, hahaha...but I just watched today's elimination match and Dr. Sub-Zero could beat SuperYan to be re-qualified, but she forefeited, citing her displeasure with the experience for the decision, which I think is understandable. Seems like Dr. Sub got his wish and went over to Team Tekken, which is good, as they need better people on their side (and he seems to have gotten a lot better at the game). He also gave his winnings from the unplayed match (gaming headset/nice stick) over to SuperYan for being awesome.

So...wow.
Last edited by onReload on Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keiko

Post by Keiko »

What happened between Aris and Miranda? all that streams monsters were talking about sexual harassment and i was like... wtf?
「切ない想いを受け止めて」
SFZ2 Blog
onReload

Post by onReload »

So, as stream monsters go, this is par for the course: People were pretty fixated on Miranda, sexually, even before any streaming began. Typical comments were made, as they are when any female is on stream, but usually the people there don't pander to that stupidity...Aris did.

As far as I saw, it was that he was focusing the camera on her hips/thighs/ass/feet(?) as per the stream's request...he also told her that she had to listen to him as he was her coach...I'm guessing he didn't see it in her face - the fact that it wasn't harmless fun that some people might be okay with...Now, she could have stood up and clarified herself, but we all have different levels of comfort with that kind of confrontation. Aris later tried to defend himself verbally, completely failed at it, and my guess is that he'll apologize later on if he wants to be seen as a bit more of an adult...Honestly, it wasn't like anything that happened was soul damaging, but it was really childish and I personally stopped watching.

However, even if his behavior was halted by CAPCOPS or whatever, I'm sure it's awkward as hell for Supernyan and she also didn't feel like she should get a free ride to Final Round while someone else doesn't get the chance (It is speculated that Team SF never eliminated her as she didn't seem to be a threat), and with her boyfriend and family (!) watching the stream, it just wasn't that great an experience for her overall, so she stepped down.
Keiko

Post by Keiko »

I see, i missed that part of the stream today. And i really feel really bad for her, i don't know how she can tolerate all that assholes in the stream + Aris Macho man attitude at all...
BTW more drama on LiJoe stream channel: http://www.twitch.tv/thisislijoe (Sherry + Arturo + TriForce maybe Aris on the phone soon).
「切ない想いを受け止めて」
SFZ2 Blog
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

Ugh... with this, and the mike Ross/Jago thing, it feels like we're in the WWF.
Making no profit since 1987...
Smileymike101

Post by Smileymike101 »

IF YA SMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL......Wat the Rock....IS COOKING!
AquaTeamV3

Post by AquaTeamV3 »

Yeah, I heard about the whole sexism situation, and someone posted a video showing some of what went on during the stream. The vid's hard to watch, as Miranda's visibly uncomfortable during that entire thing. Stream monsters making lewd comments is one thing, but Aris catering to them way way out of line IMO, especially with the questions he was asking. I haven't been able to watch much of the stream lately, so I'm not sure what else went on besides some word-of-mouth stuff and the above video.
onReload

Post by onReload »

Was just talking to an internet-friend of mine who's a big stream monster about this...people keep comparing her to Sherry, and asking why she didn't have a problem. Part of it is that she wasn't under Aris' wing, and the other is that Sherry is more experienced with this kind of thing. She's learned to roll her eyes or tell people to fuck off; SuperYan seems totally new to this level of exposure.

Right now, people on twitter or other news sites, or other streams...I think need to stop talking about it so much. It's just another reminder that fighting game players need to check themselves sometimes - no more, no less.
CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

onReload wrote:Right now, people on twitter or other news sites, or other streams...I think need to stop talking about it so much. It's just another reminder that fighting game players need to check themselves sometimes - no more, no less.
Man it's way too late for that now, articles on penny arcade, giant bomb and destructoid, tonnes of comments there too. This could be way out of hand, not long ago there was that ocean marketing thing where a penny arcade member got treated poorly by customer service, and the guy responsible was basically sent death threats non stop. If I was Aris I'd go on a complete internet blackout for as long as possible.
Mienaikage

Post by Mienaikage »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeXiKWXS ... e&t=23m45s

I have no respect for the man, nor the people that try to make excuses for him. This kind of behavior is not acceptable anywhere and I most certainly don't want to see it in the fighting game community. Does anyone actually agree that Street Fighter and sexual harassment are one and the same?!
AquaTeamV3

Post by AquaTeamV3 »

Yeah, I really don't agree with anything that he's saying. I find it interesting that this issue is coming to light now, as stuff like this has happened before, but was kind of swept under the rug.
onReload

Post by onReload »

I think it's the fact that the event was covered so thoroughly. So it's a good and bad thing, y'know? - that this discussion is coming to light
Smileymike101

Post by Smileymike101 »

I don't agree with acting like an attention whore either.
Maj

Post by Maj »

This whole situation is pretty lame, especially with all this mainstream media showing up to exploit a trainwreck for their own selfish reasons.

But i feel bad about what happened to SuperYan specifically. She seems like a genuinely nice person who was there to play the actual game, and it was completely unfair to make her feel so uncomfortable. That's the whole reason there aren't more girls in the fighting game community, which is the reason they get driven out like this. It's a pretty messed up vicious cycle.

I do think we're making progress though. Anyway it's been a bumpy road and i'm sure it'll continue to be that way for a while, which isn't too surprising.
onReload

Post by onReload »

Yeah, I'm confident it will blow over, but the streamers for Final Round will have to be careful, as there's no doubt it will be heavily scrutinized. I posted on inkblot's recent article that I thought his comedown on WNF was a bit harsh, but I understand that he/they felt the need to make their position crystal clear.

One thing that constantly comes up when looking at the FGC as a whole is the RTS community. It's really, really irritating that people seem to think because we're a (sometimes) raucous bunch, we're also more childish and less intelligent. Between fighting games and RTS...they're very different genres that call for very different behavior, from both the players and observers, partially due to their origins, and partially due to their format.

My best metaphor is that, yes, there's not a whole lot of rude, yelling motherfuckers in golf, but that doesn't mean they're all great people.
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

Haha. Capcom ruining it for everyone.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Huh?
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

I'm so upset about the news we got today about "Matador." :(
But I'm glad they're a good sport about it all.
Making no profit since 1987...
Maj

Post by Maj »

Yeah, they're trying to stay positive about it. Obviously i'm biased but i hope they keep producing content, even if it's just 3-4 minute comedy videos. Although it's pretty damn disappointing to see SRK not even posting these things. Only one out of three episodes has gotten any kind of exposure whatsoever. It's pretty tough to motivate yourself to spend all day filming/editing a video for 500 views.

So i don't know what's going to happen, but at this rate Greg and Brett will definitely pack their bags and leave after "Continue?" reaches zero. Sometimes i wonder if the FGC appreciates anything without being told to appreciate it, or if we just take everything for granted until it's too late.
Maj

Post by Maj »

I take that back. It's not that the FGC stopped appreciating good things. It's that the group of people i still mistakenly identify as the FGC is actually a very small percentage of today's massive FGC, most of whom are too new to know what they're supposed to appreciate. Can't be helped i guess.