Animated Hitbox Data!

talk about how great training mode is
Buttermaker

Re: Animated Hitbox Data!

Post by Buttermaker »

You need to use MAME-RR. ST became a parent set in 138u1.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Ooh I see, I was trying to get it to run in FBA-RR. Thanks.
Looks like Jolly Ranchers & Baskin's Sherbet.
Dammit

Post by Dammit »

D'oh, I've been working on nwarr myself. It's pretty much SF2ish except LeiLei's gong projectiles appear in a special place in RAM.
http://lua.pastebin.com/HFTLViJt (experimental, only works for nwarr)

I think I'll need more innfo in MSHvSF before I can work with it.

Edit: fixed the SF2 script so it works in both FBA and MAME with ST
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Yay, thanks!
felineki

Post by felineki »

Ah, cool. The fact that the box definition values were in an odd order is what had me stumped for a while. That, and I was having trouble finding the screen and game phase values.

I'll see what else I can come up with for MSHvSF. One of the weird things is that its box definitions don't seem to be categorized at all, each slot just loads from one big list. So for example, for a character's idle stance, rather than having head box ID 01, body box ID 01, and foot box ID 01, it'll have box ID 01 in the head slot, box ID 02 in the body slot, and box ID 03 in the foot slot.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Sweet, ST yay http://bit.ly/aV6Rpb
felineki

Post by felineki »

Nice video, T. Hawk got nerfed quite a bit didn't he? I liked the instances where you showed how one version's move could stuff the other version's counterpart. Anyway, working on updating the MSHvSF notes.

EDIT: Dammit, it looks like your nwarr script is having some problems with the push boxes, they aren't looking like what I'd expect, nor how they looked when I was messing around with adapting the SF2 script to it.
Dammit

Post by Dammit »

OK, finally integrated nwarr into the cps2 script. The pushboxes should be OK now. There's been some internal changes that might make it easier to read and update.

It seems like the weak boxes are only used on certain projectiles in nwarr. I think they determine where the gong has to touch to reflect them.

Needs a bit more work because the special projectile boxes (gong, pyron's cosmo) are interfering with the regular projectiles (bishamon's hcf+kk).

Incidentally, CPS1 boxer has a weak box (with weak no. = 2) during TAP, but doesn't seem to take double damage during TAP. And CE boxer gets no invulnerability during TAP.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Maj

Post by Maj »

At 0:28, Ryu's DP moves up before its hitboxes do. Is that accurate or is there some lag for drawing moving hitboxes? I've noticed this happening with jump attacks in your other videos as well.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Probably lag caused by screen movement. Since the o.Ryu was in the air. I think? I dunno. Seems like vertical or horizontal screen movement causes a touch of lag. The animation and hitboxes aren't always perfectly in sync either, sometimes it's randomly 1F off, but since it's random I doubt there's a simple way to fix it. IMO it doesn't need to be perfect though. It's totally awesome as-is and serves it's purpose wonderfully.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Fair enough. We're okay as long as people don't start treating it as gospel, but it's a huge step forward regardless.
error1

Post by error1 »

I just noticed you added the whiteout feature
thanks, that lets me do stuff like this

it's also pretty interesting to play this way
Dammit

Post by Dammit »

Fixed the special projectile stuff in nwarr. It's not showing for a few that seem to have missing hitbox pointers but otherwise complete.
Rikuo c.HP ftl.

I don't know what to make of the vertical scroll lag in Xenozip's video. They aren't that big for me. (Want moar videos.) I made a small SF2 change that reduces the default delay a bit. The boxes wait for a predefined delay before being shown but it can still be too soon or too late by one frame. CPS2 weirdness. There may be a more accurate way but it would only be good for watching video frame by frame.

Yeah you can play the whole game with the screen blanked. It reminds me of those system direction options in 3S.
felineki

Post by felineki »

Water Jail and the two Anakaris things are probably considered throws. It looks like they didn't show up on the Saturn version's hitbox display either, going by Vampire-Hunter.net.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Dunno, Water Jail has a clearly visible hitbox in VSav.

But yeah, making more videos soon.
Dammit

Post by Dammit »

Added SFA1.

It's structurally the same as nwarr but without the special projectiles mess. Box parameters are only 1 byte like SF2, which may have strange results for long range normals. (Maybe that's why Dhalsim's not in this one?)
felineki

Post by felineki »

Awesome! I'm currently messing around with MSHvSF, not having much luck yet. One thing I have found though is that the object X and Y positions aren't at the usual offsets, so adding slots for those to the game definitions in the script might be useful since they could potentially vary for other games as well.

EDIT: Got it mostly working with Vampire/Darkstalkers:
Seems pretty much the same as Vampire Hunter/Night Warriors.

Projectile Base: 0xFFAA2E
Left Screen Edge: 0xFF9518
Top Screen Edge: 0xFF981C
Player Space: 0x400

Don't know about game phase, invulnerability, or special projectiles yet.
Dammit

Post by Dammit »

Thanks, added. Each game has its own number of proj slots and it seems dstlk has only four, the lowest of any I've seen. It seems only nwarr uses two banks of projectiles. After that they must have figured out to just increase the limit as needed.

Also added cybots.
I know literally nothing about cybots, so, disclaimer there.
felineki

Post by felineki »

I've got axes displaying in MSHvSF, albeit not in exactly the right places...
I'm still not sure I have the proper values for the screen edges. This game's Y Axis seems to be inverted in comparison to the other games, up is negative, down is positive. Haven't gotten boxes to display at all yet. Also, for some stages the leftmost screen position value becomes negative, which causes the axes to disappear.
Dammit

Post by Dammit »

Added Gem Fighters.
It has only two vulnerability boxes instead of three and you usually only get one.

Yeah I'd been putting off Marvel cause I can tell it's going to be very different.
felineki

Post by felineki »

Cool. I had actually been sorta curious about what the hitboxes in Gem Fighter were like, given the sprites' SD proportions.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Cyberbots http://bit.ly/aoQh7n

Gunna do a short Pocket Fighter video then gunna go back to ST, prolly another long ST o/n.char ST vid.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

And there's pocket fighter http://bit.ly/90ljTG
CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

just wondering, are the 3s hitboxes "complete" or is it possible they have throwable and push boxes that can be displayed? I'm kinda wondering if I'd be able to see throwable boxes during juggle states...
Dammit

Post by Dammit »

I fully intend to get my grubby hands on CPS-3.
noodalls

Post by noodalls »

Quick question, would this be possible for 2D scrolling beat em ups? I've just done my semi-yearly play through of Aliens vs Predator, and then watched a few youtube combo videos marvelling at how much there is to the game. Obviously hitboxes etc. exist in these games, and the movelist is relatively small compared to the 2D fighters (although still pretty huge for a scrolling beat em up). I also wondered if the depth issue would cause problems, being as you can walk up and down.

Anyway, not a priority or really a request for it to be done (although it would be interesting), more just a "Is it possible?"
Dammit

Post by Dammit »

Totally possible. If they exist, you can show them. Most of the objects lack a pushbox which might make things easier. The depth dimension would just not be shown in this case.

Speaking of pushboxes, I notice here that they went out of their way to get rid of them. That's not wise because they help tell you how good a move is as a crossup, and some moves like sky high claw can interact with them. And why does the internet hate png format? Anyways, I added a hotkey for it because fools will be fools and I need to stay relevant.

I'd like to get back to adding more games but I should finish these expo articles. The SFA article took me forever because my knowledge petered out after about 10 ideas and there's too much to leave unsaid. Darkstalkers should be easier, then I'll come back to this.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Dammit wrote:And why does the internet hate png format?
1. Because Internet Explorer hates it. PNG's older brother GIF would a better choice thank jpg for those graphics as well...
2. Because people don't have the good sense to use it. Just like putting music on youtube.
error1

Post by error1 »

the problem with GIFs are the proprietary format with an ancient compression and only 256 colors. All modern web browsers deal with pngs fine, I think the main thing is people don't know any better.