General Sports Discussion

stay up to date on what's going on
Rufus

Re: Hey Maj, let's talk about the World Cup

Post by Rufus »

Dark_Chaotix wrote:Oh and for 3rd place....German! Beat the shit out of Uruguay the scum!
Honestly, everything except for first place is highly suspect in a single elimination format tourney, and even that is questionable. For example, in 2002, the Turkish team lost only to Brazil - the eventual champion - before ending up in 3rd place. If Spain and Germany both win or loose, then we don't really have any way to tell whether the ordering of 2nd and 3rd is appropriate.
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

It shouldnt matter tho with that logic...Its just who wins on the day.

So Switzland should be up there because they beat Germany before they beat some of the better European teams?
Don Vecta

Post by Don Vecta »

I'm happy for Spain that they made it to the finals... that's as close as Mexico can go. :P

VAMOS MUCHACHOS~! :D

Although... I must admit I also love the "Clockwork Orange" game style. No matter who wins, it's gonna be a hot hot hot final with a very different line up compared from previous cups!
onReload

Post by onReload »

I was kinda hype about the Netherlands winning, 'cos my grandfather was the only guy in my (close) family who came from another country, and that's my last name's origin...but seeing everybody else hype about it and the Netherlands winning anything in South Africa is kinda weird :|
Maj

Re: Hey James let's talk about the Lakers

Post by Maj »

Well, LeBron/Wade/Bosh just ruined the NBA by taking the easy way out. Instead of there being four competitive teams in the East, now there's only one and they're the heavy favorites to win a championship. As if the regular season wasn't questionable enough, it's completely irrelevant now. We should just fast forward to playoffs immediately.

Well, whatever happens, i'm still looking forward to seeing the Lakers make it through the playoffs, even if we get owned up by this cheat code nonsense at the end. The only thing that would ruin it for me is if Kobe's injured again or we're missing someone major like Pau/Drew.

At the very least, it should be interesting to see how Phil/Kobe handle it. Jordan never had to face anything like this (except in Space Jam, but we all know Bill Murray carried him that time).
Tigre III

Post by Tigre III »

OH GOD YESSS!!!!
Spain is the new word champion!!!!!!
Mmmmmmmmm that beautiful star on the top of our emblem will looks great...

I love the fair play, and im not a hooligan or something like a stupid violent supporter, but after seeing the dirty play of Netherlands (they only wanted to stop the game with brutal faults, Van Bommel seems that he was "playing" taekwondo, and the incredible "tatsu" against Xabi Alonso at the first time was must be a red card!) I only can say F**K YOU Holland!!! We are better team, and we won playing FOOTBALL.

Im really happy!!! :D
Don Vecta

Post by Don Vecta »

ESPAÑA CAMPEON DEL MUNDOOOO, COÑO~!!

Yeah, was a very very aggressive game, IMHO, both played too hard but i guess Holdanda was going desperate... they got so many yellow cards, no?

Anyways, well played, Spain.
ZenFire

Post by ZenFire »

Tigre III wrote:I only can say F**K YOU Holland!!! We are better team, and we won playing FOOTBALL.
Oh yes, thanks...

Anyway, de Jong is an aggressive ass and van Bommel should have known better. The yellow cards for complaining I can also understand but both Heitinga's cards were undeserved. Other than that Holland played way too agressively and I think most Dutch were disappointed to see that as much as the rest of the world was.

The better team won, so I don't mind. Holland put up a good fight though, and the second half they got the better chances.
Maj

Post by Maj »

I didn't get to see the game because i was trapped in the middle of the "command center" (and also couldn't look away from the Clockw0rk show). We were checking the scores on someone's cell phone and talking about the World Cup every time the crowd quieted down (which wasn't very often).

I saw the highlights when i got home and it looked like a really mucky game. Obviously either team could've won a 1-0 game like this, but towards the end it looked like Spain's advantage was growing. Anyway i'm glad the game ended with a real score instead of penalties again.

I'd love to see at least one World Cup final where both teams say fuck it and just try to outscore each other.
Tigre III

Post by Tigre III »

ZenFire wrote: Oh yes, thanks...
Well, obviously, when I say "F**K YOU", I dont say it for ALL the netherdands... Only for eleven, you know :wink: .
onReload

Post by onReload »

ya te entiendo personalmente ;)
ZenFire

Post by ZenFire »

No need to explain I didn't take it personally. Haven't been on this board in ages so I thought I'd react to something I have an opinion on.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Hahaha i love how you're like "I don't have anything to add here" - meanwhile i'm still using your deinterlace script for every single console video i capture. You know what, you're getting special thanks'd in my next SF4 TACV. I hope you like Honda and Blanka!
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Ooh, blanka, looking forward to that.
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
ZenFire

Post by ZenFire »

Maj wrote:Hahaha i love how you're like "I don't have anything to add here" - meanwhile i'm still using your deinterlace script for every single console video i capture. You know what, you're getting special thanks'd in my next SF4 TACV. I hope you like Honda and Blanka!
:lol: That's dope. Honda's my main, I love Honda.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Well, i deleted that blog thing we had going last year, mainly because it hadn't been updated since June 15th of 2009. I doubt it'll have any appreciable impact on server performance seeing as it only got ~63 hits per month after we stopped updating. But then again it's one less database so it might help.

I've managed to talk myself into getting excited about next season though. Or more specifically, the two games against Boston, the two games against Miami, and the playoffs. Everything else is a formality.

Does anyone here follow football? I'ma be honest, Brett Farv is the only player i care about. I'm wondering if i should go out of my way to watch some Vikings games since it sounds like he really intends to retire after this season. Is that for real or is that fool gonna be playing till he's 50?
Maj

Post by Maj »

Do any of you guys follow football? Honestly i only care about one player and that's Brett Favre, so i've been watching (parts of) pretty much every Vikings game this season.

What's up with all this drama? Is this normal for football? Nobody told me i was signing up to follow a purple soap opera.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

I follow it, but not very much.

It's been getting called "No Fun League" more and more cuz they stopped allowing certain type of hits and whatnot. As for all the Viking drama -- I'm not sure. Ever since Favre retired and came back (hopefully I won't do that, either), it's been pretty dramatic. I like how the Raiders are not doing as bad as they usually do. In fact, they blew out the last 2 teams the played. The beat the broncos really bad. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17sX3z0SMYg
Maj

Post by Maj »

I doubt any of you guys watch Nascar but that Jimmie Johnson #48 Lowe's Kobalt Tools Chevrolet Impala race team is amazing. Hot dang, that guy goes fast GatoradeNationalGuardQuakerStateGoodyear whoo!

In other news, Brett Favre's career is dying of the black plague (or smallpox or insert any other sufficiently ancient disease).
Maj

Post by Maj »

Damn it all to hell, Brett Favre's streak is over at 297. And this Tarvaris Jackson kid just ran right into Adrian Peterson. Can't wait until Brett Favre retires so i don't have to watch this accursed team anymore.

Actually it wouldn't be so bad if Minnesota's games were televised in SoCal, but apparently we're not good enough to watch Brett Favre not play.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Maj wrote:Damn it all to hell, Brett Favre's streak is over at 297. And this Tarvaris Jackson kid just ran right into Adrian Peterson. Can't wait until Brett Favre retires so i don't have to watch this accursed team anymore.

Actually it wouldn't be so bad if Minnesota's games were televised in SoCal, but apparently we're not good enough to watch Brett Favre not play.
Brett Favre is worried Peyton Manning will catch up. The real question is whether it will be games or interceptions first.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Actually someone showed me this article yesterday that explains Brett Favre's interception rate is 3.3% (which is considered really low - quite a bit lower than a lot of hall of fame quarterbacks). The article was published last season and he's been having a pretty bad season this year, but one season of stats isn't gonna change much for a guy who's played twenty years.

Anyway i don't know much about football. This was the only year i've followed a team, and only because it's supposed to be Brett Favre's last season and he's wearing Lakers colors. But i don't really like the game. Every play starts with 10-15 dudes smashing into each other head first and every game ends with 3-4 injuries. Waaay too much is decided by luck, and it seems like the objective of the game is to make the game look broken. Like when you watch Adrian Peterson highlight reels, football looks like a poorly designed sport.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Maj wrote:Actually someone showed me this article yesterday that explains Brett Favre's interception rate is 3.3% (which is considered really low - quite a bit lower than a lot of hall of fame quarterbacks). The article was published last season and he's been having a pretty bad season this year, but one season of stats isn't gonna change much for a guy who's played twenty years.
It's mostly tongue in cheek. Really football games - especially championships - seem to be more about defense. I was spoiled growing up in the era of Joe Montana and Steve Young.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Football has its moments for sure. I just don't have time to follow any more sports. Basketball is still my favorite overall because it's all footsies.

I kind of switched soccer for Nascar after i stopped following AC Milan (after Kaka got traded for a giant bag of money), but Nascar races are really hard to watch. They do a terrible job of explaining why one guy is better than the other. They try to explain why one car is faster than the other, but they suck at that too. I hate to say it, but it feels like if you've seen a few races, you've seen 'em all. I'll probably watch like 3-4 next year but that's about it.

So i'm pretty much out of new sports to try watching. The best ones are basketball and World Cup soccer, imo.
Smileymike101

Post by Smileymike101 »

I watch street fighter as a sport.When there's a stream i grab some chips/drinks and start watching and rooting and screaming.It's awesome.
I used to watch wrestling...before it began sucking hard.
What about tennis, Maj? (sorry if mentioned, i didn't follow the thread.)
Maj

Post by Maj »

I don't think i've ever watched an entire tennis match. In fact i think i've watched three times as much (Dreamcast) Virtua Tennis as real tennis. But i know jchensor is a huge tennis fan. Seems like an interesting sport, but i just never got into it.

After the Vikings' surreal disaster of a season, i'm back to just following the Lakers. Although they're confirming what i said earlier and making it pretty clear that it's a waste of time watching them this year until the playoffs come. But this year's NBA playoffs will be absolutely fascinating. The next Lakers vs Heat game should be interesting too, but that's not until March 10th.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Clippers > Heat ... and Heat > Lakers ... so Clippers > Lakers?

Damn, we better not lose on Sunday. Damn, i can't believe i care about beating the Clippers. Damn you LeBronnn!
Maj

Post by Maj »

First of all, Lakerzzzzzz!!!

Second, Jerry Sloan quit? Wth, that sucks! All the press conferences are hella ambiguous too. No clues as to what went wrong.
onReload

Post by onReload »

Where did the whole "Lakerrrrsssssss!" thing come from? Is that just how you people yell it, or did I miss some SNL episode?
Maj

Post by Maj »

I don't know, i wasn't aware that it was a "thing." I just think it's funny.