General Sports Discussion

stay up to date on what's going on
Maj

Re: Hey James let's talk about the Lakers

Post by Maj »

I'm not sure what you're referring to specifically, but i just watched Ron Artest's post-game interview in the locker room on u2b and that kid is insane. INSANE! I'm really happy for him though. It sucks having your life defined by one beer thrown at you during the most volatile period of your life.

Yeah i can't remember ever seeing an uglier game than this one, but it was a real win. You can't take anything away from the Lakers or from Kobe. No doubt haters are gonna try, but LA was doing all the attacking while Boston basically gave away the game after that early lead. Even though Kobe shot terribly all game, his fingerprints were all over the last six minutes.

Honestly i gave up on seeing a good game early on, like a week ago. Boston doesn't allow beautiful basketball. It was just a matter of winning and the Lakers pulled it off, so i'm happy. Damn, i gotta say, i'm so sick of all the shit-talking that's come out of Boston since 2008. If the Lakers had lost, i think i'd get over the loss itself pretty quick, but the incessant trash talk would've made me miserable all summer.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgpzYhUe3p0

The reporter asked him how it felt to make the 3 point throw in a critical moment.

Magic Johnson was asked something about how it felt to manage the lakers and he just went off on a "thank you" list and left the reporter (who just looked at the camera like -_-)

Not a lotta looting though, there were some idiots who walked onto the freeway/highway and just stood there "hyphy". But uh not that many cars torched (just 1 escalade, so that counts as 2 hondas). And the fire department felt confident cause they poured water into trashcans so people couldn't start trash fires.
Magnetro

Re: Hey Maj, let's talk about the World Cup

Post by Magnetro »

It's ok to cry a little after seeing this, maj:

http://www.endlessyoutube.com/watch?v=JMRMW1FXSHw
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Man. That was bs. The ref really screwed USA out of a 3-2 score. Still though, it's crazy they came back from 0-2.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Magnetro wrote:It's ok to cry a little after seeing this, maj:

http://www.endlessyoutube.com/watch?v=JMRMW1FXSHw
I think my brain melted a little.
Looks like Jolly Ranchers & Baskin's Sherbet.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Magnetro wrote:Man. That was bs. The ref really screwed USA out of a 3-2 score. Still though, it's crazy they came back from 0-2.
Questionable officiating also happens at world cups. They really made some sausage today, and there's still a game to go.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Meh, whatever. You can't ask for much more than one game to decide whether you advance or go home. I hope that the US team advances, especially since they actually managed to score a couple of nice goals for once. But if they don't then they probably wouldn't have gotten far anyway. Basically we got lucky against England, which is kind of a big deal because there's a good chance that if the US advances, it'll be at England's expense. So one stroke of luck minus one unlucky break evens out.

I just like watching Brazil play so theirs are probably the only games i'll have time to watch all the way through. But ESPN has an awesome "World Cup Primetime" program which airs every day at around 8pm. They show highlights of all the day's games, but extensive highlights - usually 15+ minutes per game. I can't remember them ever doing anything like this before, but it might have something to do with the time difference. Anyway, it's a pretty good way to catch up on what's going on without having to kill 8 hours a day watching full matches.

I dunno about France. Loved watching them in '06, but they're not so exciting now. I guess Spain was supposed to have taken their place in that regard, though we're still waiting for Spain to show up. But yeah, i remember the '06 Brazil/France match being the one that i just didn't want to end. If it went on for another two hours, i would've gladly kept watching for another two hours.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Fire safety yomi in effect.

1 torched Escalade / 13 million people < dropping 1 grain of rice at lunch

What i'm trying to say is sometimes Escalades catch on fire in LA. It's a natural occurence; no cause for alarm.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Tough spot for Australia to find themselves in. Do you just focus on winning the game and hope all the other contenders implode or do you put 11 strikers on the field and try to score 8 goals? Risky gamble either way.
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

there is still hope, and I wouldnt write us off as yet. Played pretty well with mainly 10 men for most of the game. Kewell send off was harsh but just have to deal with it. We have Timmy back for Serbia game tho.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Kaka's second yellow card was hilariously undeserved. Not that it matters because Brazil is through regardless, but FIFA should probably address this before it ends up deciding a final. I can understand not wanting to influence match results, but they should at least be able to review yellow cards the way the NBA reviews technical fouls with respect to future match suspensions.

This whole tournament feels odd though. Everyone's underachieving.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Yeah. England game was weird. Italy sucked vs New Zealand...Though it's interesting seeing most of the top tier teams struggling to get anything going.

http://i.imgur.com/lKxA3.gif
Smileymike101

Post by Smileymike101 »

Italy is worse than Vega.Germany is god tier.
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

And yet they still lost to Serbia :?

Well i wouldnt write off any of the top contenders as of yet (the ones that still have a good chance of making it, not France by the looks of it) as Italy did struggle in their 2k6 group but ended up winning it. In an hour, we will see if Ronaldo will produce a better game then last week and see if Spain has what it take to be real contenders.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

"Der Ball ist rund. Das Spiel dauert 90 Minuten."
-Sepp Herberger

Hopefully the quality of officiating will get kicked up as the games progress. The second round of the group stage has seen a number of questionable calls.
Don Vecta

Post by Don Vecta »

Portugal 7 - North Korea 0

Okay, now I feel sorry for those guys. They'd either gonna be executed or... they'll send them to work in a glue factory or a coal mine to work 14 hours daily with no day off. :cry:
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Or to animate FOX sitcoms such as the Simpsons or Family Guy.

But yeah, their future cannot be too bright after that. Ronaldo's goal was especially bad.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Aw man, 7-0? Guess that basically guarantees Portugal to advance even after they get schooled by Brazil. And it probably means we'll be seeing those C. Ronaldo highlights the rest of the way. Weaksauce. Easily my least favorite soccer star. At least the Italians have funny expressions and hand gestures when they commit shady fouls.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Maj wrote:Aw man, 7-0? Guess that basically guarantees Portugal to advance even after they get schooled by Brazil. And it probably means we'll be seeing those C. Ronaldo highlights the rest of the way. Weaksauce. Easily my least favorite soccer star. At least the Italians have funny expressions and hand gestures when they commit shady fouls.
Unless the Ivorians light up the DPRK even more. Nothing's sure in a world cup, but right now it's looking likely that Portugal gets sent home by Spain in the round of 16 even if they make it through.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Oh the knockout stage brackets are out already? Hm, if i'm reading this correctly, looks like the US is gonna have to play either Germany or whoever else comes out of Group D (Australia/Ghana/Serbia). Yeah i don't think we can take Germany.

Wow, there's a chance Brazil could play Spain in the first round, especially now that Portugal's goal differential is bananas. Brazil/Span would be an awesome match to watch, but i want to see that in the final, not the first round.
Tigre III

Post by Tigre III »

Wow, a football (or soccer) post here? hehe nice!
Well, yeah, a Brazil vs Spain match would be a nice show... but I prefer to avoid it! Brazil always play so good, no matter about the players, coach... Spain, after the ridiculous at the first match, they have returned to the earth, and now, we only want to pass to the final tournament...

PD: C.Ronaldo? No way, Messi is, from far, the best player today. I saw it in live action (C.Ronaldo too) and its not from this planet!
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

Les Bleus dreadful end to WC. If i were Henry, evra or Maluda, Id be PISSED!
Maj

Post by Maj »

It's getting to be crunch time for a lot of powerhouse teams - Spain, Germany, Italy, England, even the Netherlands can get knocked out if they don't win. How crazy would it be if both previous finalists failed to make it out of the group stage? Anyway fingers crossed for the US team.

Not to be a hater, but i have to admit i'm kinda curious whether British newspapers would run the "England in Roo-ins" headline if they lost.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Dark_Chaotix wrote:Les Bleus dreadful end to WC. If i were Henry, evra or Maluda, Id be PISSED!
I'm pretty sure that Evra is pissed considering he got sent home for cussing out the coach. Gotta love that footage of Domenech refusing to shake hands too.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Maj wrote:It's getting to be crunch time for a lot of powerhouse teams - Spain, Germany, Italy, England, even the Netherlands can get knocked out if they don't win. How crazy would it be if both previous finalists failed to make it out of the group stage? Anyway fingers crossed for the US team.

Not to be a hater, but i have to admit i'm kinda curious whether British newspapers would run the "England in Roo-ins" headline if they lost.
Haha. Someone said that ad is bad luck for everyone.

Except Ronaldo, your favorite player. He's still doing 'well'.
Maj

Post by Maj »

I don't care, that commercial is still awesome. At first it annoyed me that it ended with C. Ronaldo but now i like that because i can just turn it off when it's his turn and not miss anything.

Though the 2k6 Adidas commercial is still my favorite. "Soy capitan!"

Also, Landon Donovan is okay in my book. For the first time in World Cup history, our best player isn't a goalie!! Pretty exciting.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Maj

Post by Maj »

Damn, check out the bracket so far. The US can totally make it to quarter-finals before getting rocked by Brazil. On the other side, England must be kicking themselves for not winning their group. They're gonna be the underdogs in literally every match they play from here on out.
Don Vecta

Post by Don Vecta »

Okay, Mexico's in. It comes a re-match from 2006 against Argentina.

Hope Aguirre removes that fucking loser of Guille Franco, he keeps fucking up over and over again! Gosh~! :x
Smileymike101

Post by Smileymike101 »

You dare call Guile a loser?Maj'll eat ya alive.