Fighting Game News and Speculation 2007-2009

stay up to date on what's going on
Maj

Re: Does anyone care about SF4? (FG News thread)

Post by Maj »

Hahahaha wow, suddenly i'm looking forward to that ghetto Chun Li film. Raul Julia's M.Bison speech was easily the crowning achievement of the Van Guile movie. Ah, who am i kidding? That movie was awesome. "Quick, change the channel!"

So uh, i'm not exactly up to date on how modern video game marketing operates. I thought every game had a downloadable demo on Xbox Live. How come there's no demo for Mortal Kombat vs DC (or Spider-Man: Web of Shadows or Midnight Club: Los Angeles)?
Maj

Post by Maj »

1UP Show: Street Fighter 4 Preview/Pro Player Matchup
Features Fei Long's blocked ultra and Cammy's connected ultra, plus a preview of some ghetto lava stage, plus the pure awesomeness of Keystone II.

Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion - Winter 2008 Trailer
Can't wait to play Tekken Racing: Motorcycles vs Helicopters! Seriously though, this is a great trailer. Dope editing.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Five of the console exclusive characters were demonstrated by s-kill at CES2k9 in Vegas: SRK thread

Cammy and Fei Long look awesome and Dan is actually funny. Usually when i see Dan, i can't help but thinking of him as a wasted roster spot. After you've seen most of his antics, subsequent appearances become nothing but recycled sprites. This time they really got it right though. I hope he has his Taunt super combo setup from CvS2, but i also hope he has a high dizzy threshold so that we don't see a billion scrubby dizzy combos in every video.

Also, New Watercolor Trailer: Gouki vs Gouken in u2bHD
Maj

Post by Maj »

They've got all the alternate costumes in one convenient video now. Balrog, Vega, Zangief, and especially Blanka got it made. I think i like Cammy's and Rose's but i'm not sure. I don't like Sagat's at all, and Fei Long is pretty disappointing too. I can understand that they wouldn't want to go with the yellow biker jumpsuit since Marshall Law called first dibs, but i still would have preferred it over this. Woulda been cool with the helmet.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

It's not a yellow track suit, but it's still an obvious homage.

Akuma and Gouken's are supposedly Fuujin and Raijin (wind god, thunder god, respectively) but I think they got kinda lazy with those. Where are the drums and floaty scarf/bag, dammit.

Sagat is basically waring Chun-Li's track pants from SFA3.

Everyone seems to think Boxer's is the best.

Cammy has a red triangle on her jacket, so I'm guessing Delta Red.
Maj wrote:But this time it involves crazy Cammy pin-up artwork on a shirt. How weird is that?
Reminds me of this pic though.

Ryu's and Dictator's are definitely Ono's fault. Blame him. And Ken gets random bling bling gold chain.

And everyone saw Haggar and Nash coming from a mile away.
Looks like Jolly Ranchers & Baskin's Sherbet.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Oh ok, i like Fei Long's costume better now that i've seen that pic. I remembered the last mirror scene where Bruce Lee got all those scars but i didn't remember the gloves or the pantslessness.

Akuma and Gouken are fine, but i don't see why Honda got the same costume. If they were gonna give the Chun Li pants to someone, at least it would have been funny with Honda.

Ryu and Bison i don't mind. Both of those will end up being useful for editing purposes. I kinda wanna do an SF4 combo involving his Ultra FB, where it starts out with his standard outfit but quickly transitions to his torn outfit during one of those zooming shots. Also it might be cool to do combos against standard Bison and then transition into battle damage Bison midway. I mean there are probably cooler things they could have done with both Ryu and Bison, but i'm sure we'll get those down the road. I don't mind these being their first efforts, unlike Sagat's costume which is a complete waste.

Ken's at least doesn't look ugly, but i would have definitely preferred casual clothes like jeans or a tuxedo. Guile's is cool too, but i was kinda hoping for his fighter pilot outfit from the SF Anime.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Console SF4 hit in Singapore and apparently Korea.

Rithli informs that some Korean blogs have been posting up loads of screencaps already.

chibis

:<
:3 ^_^
:V
O_O

face 1
face 2

<Rithli> cammy's face got HD remixed
Maj

Post by Maj »

Not a fight game, but close enough: God of War III - Epic Scale Trailer HD

What i like about GoW is that they've actually given Kratos a personality which permeates the entire game and all their decisions. For example if it was Dante running through this trailer, he might have killed that bird at the end. It's 50/50 depending on his mood, who knows? But since it was Kratos, that bird had to die.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Xenozip. wrote:Console SF4 hit in Singapore and apparently Korea.

Rithli informs that some Korean blogs have been posting up loads of screencaps already.

<Rithli> cammy's face got HD remixed
:|
:o
D:
:B
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Maj wrote:Not a fight game, but close enough: God of War III - Epic Scale Trailer HD

What i like about GoW is that they've actually given Kratos a personality which permeates the entire game and all their decisions. For example if it was Dante running through this trailer, he might have killed that bird at the end. It's 50/50 depending on his mood, who knows? But since it was Kratos, that bird had to die.
That was great. I cant wait to break this game and I make video!

I mean, I can't wait until we break this game and make a video.

Though I wouldn't really want to break it but you know what I mean. I guess I'll be getting a PS3.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Small write-up I did for Capcom concerning MvC2 testing. http://www.capcom-unity.com/jimmyrey/bl ... ahvel_baby
Maj

Post by Maj »

Check out the newly unveiled Diablo III Monk class, specifically the Impenetrable Defense and Exploding Palm skill clips. Hella combo potential!

Disclaimer: Neither sonichurricane.com nor its affiliates endorse Diablo III or any other form of heroin manufactured by Blizzard Entertainment.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Super Street Fighter IV PlayStation 3 Trailer - New Fighter Trailer

Cody, Guy, Adon, plus American voices for T.Hawk, Dee Jay, Juri.

Only thing i don't like is that Cody isn't buff enough. He looked way more intimidating in A3.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Cody (lol hugo)

- Sprite
- Portrait

Well, something looks very peculiar about Cody. Nevermind that he's still handcuffed and in prison garb since however many years ago.
onReload

Post by onReload »

Xenozip. wrote:Cody (lol hugo)

- Sprite
- Portrait

Well, something looks very peculiar about Cody. Nevermind that he's still handcuffed and in prison garb since however many years ago.
Probably the Prison Pajamas. Here's to hoping for alternate outfits
error1

Post by error1 »

I'm hoping his alt is an orange jumpsuit rather then the old-fashioned uniform.
also Ibuki is basically confirmed here, it shows guy parrying a kuni http://iplaywinner.com/storage/images/1 ... 9051577296
that just leaves Dudley, Makoto, and Hakan yet to be confirmed. It's hard for me to picture sf3 characters done in sf4's 3d
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

The ones missing from SFA3 are Rolento, Birdie, Sodom, R.Mika, and Karin.

No one's missing from SF2.

Naturally I wouldn't mind Ibuki returning, but there's also the possibility that it's a "new" ninja, or they gave Guy a kunai (since he is a ninja after all). If they go with continuity/canon Ibuki would be younger and not technically a ninja yet (she was in training in SF3). But one can only hope.
Maj

Post by Maj »

The Street Fighter timeline is totally screwed up at this point. Plus this is Ono trying to 3D-ize iconic Street Fighter characters. Even if they do mention stuff like Ibuki training to be a ninja or Cody having gotten out of prison in their intros/endings, you can bet that their in-game models are going to look exactly like the versions we know. If they didn't update Sakura, they're not updating anyone.

Btw i'm a fan of prison Cody. I think it's one of the more interesting twists in the FF/SF storyline. It'll look better when we have alternate colors, cuz default blue is his worst one by far. Knife combos!

New ultras look dope.
onReload

Post by onReload »

Xenozip. wrote:The ones missing from SFA3 are Rolento, Birdie, Sodom, R.Mika, and Karin.

No one's missing from SF2.

Naturally I wouldn't mind Ibuki returning, but there's also the possibility that it's a "new" ninja, or they gave Guy a kunai (since he is a ninja after all). If they go with continuity/canon Ibuki would be younger and not technically a ninja yet (she was in training in SF3). But one can only hope.

The Japanese towards the bottom of his focusing a kunai asks "who in the sf series uses kunais?"
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Ah, I saw it said "kunai" but that was all I could read.

Guess it's Ibuki then.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

http://www.capcom-unity.com/s-kill/gall ... id=2810663

So, who's from Africa other than Elena (Kenya)? Assuming that's south Africa anyway, what with the humping meerkats and everything..
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

No one, but there was an africa stage in SF4 too. They said that stages aren't character specific.
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

There was? Hmm, maybe I should turn the backgrounds on some time.
onReload

Post by onReload »

Xenozip. wrote:There was? Hmm, maybe I should turn the backgrounds on some time.
Yeah it's not as wildlife-oriented, it's the airfield stage with the awkwardly breakable wing.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Ahh that one, didn't know where in the world that was supposed to be.

Also it's kind of difficult to believe that the stages aren't associated with the characters when there has never been a stage with Korean writing in it until now (hi Juri). And Hugo floating around Guy/Cody stage. And well, there's obviously a Seth stage. I figured the airplane stage was Guile's, or maybe I just associate airplane stages with him and Charlie/Nash.
onReload

Post by onReload »

Xenozip. wrote:Ahh that one, didn't know where in the world that was supposed to be.

Also it's kind of difficult to believe that the stages aren't associated with the characters when there has never been a stage with Korean writing in it until now (hi Juri). And Hugo floating around Guy/Cody stage. And well, there's obviously a Seth stage. I figured the airplane stage was Guile's, or maybe I just associate airplane stages with him and Charlie/Nash.
When asked if they would redo SF2 stages, Ono said "Didn't we already?" and the only one I can think of is the Chun-Li one, because it's also in a crowded area *somewhere* in China, but so was her stage in 3s, though it was dubbed Chinese Restaurant. The new ones seem more nationally/ethnically based, with India and Africa's wildlife/settings, I guess. I hope Hugo does something badass like break a steel beam over his back for no reason. No goofy falling over for Hugo.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Guile is Abel's sub-boss and that fight happens on the airplane stage. But then again, Abel is Guile's sub-boss and it happens there too. So it's kinda more or less their stage, but there are more characters than stages in SF4. 25 characters vs 14 stages, i think.

Though it is sort of weird having to African stages with nobody from the continent on the roster. Didn't Urien used to fight out of Egypt? I can't imagine him being in SSF4 though.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Gill and Urien are appearently from the mediterranean. Some stages in SF4 are obviously designed with one character in mend, but it's still not theirs. Nakky said that there will be no character specific levels in SSFIV. I think they should just add an Australia Stage and an Antartica stage, so that you can fight on any continent (Although the game says that Volcanic rim lies in oceania, so no Australia stage is really required).
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

No add Australia in it and fight in half water half sand near the great barrier reef!
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

I still think "there' no character specific levels" is bullshit since there has never before been a Korean stage until S.Korean Juri showed up. No one from Canada, no Canadian stages. If she was Canadian I bet we'd see Canada instead of Korea right now.

Also, found this with google search: http://www.justnopoint.com/xenoblip/tmp/worldofSF.jpg

Not to split hairs, because who cares anyway, but wikipedia says meerkats are from south Africa, quite a ways away from Kenya.
Maj wrote:-snip-
Well they added 8 characters for the console release, but how many stages did they add?

In SF3:3S Ken and Alex sort of "shared" a stage too, just one was sort of like night and one was day-ish. Necro and Twelve too, and Sean/Oro. So it seems reasonable to me that SF4 characters would share stages too.