Fighting Game News and Speculation 2007-2009

stay up to date on what's going on
Maj

Re: Does anyone care about SF4? (FG News thread)

Post by Maj »

On another note, i guess they're adding alternate costumes to SF4. Cool.

Also has anyone played that Street Fighter Online: Mouse Generation game? It was released in Japan only so i've got no clue how to even find Japanese PC software, much less make it work on an American version of Windows. Someone should test it for combos. Is Guile in it?

Finally i guess Blizzard announced Diablo 3. This is not good news. Listen guys, if i disappear for like a year and a half, please send a search party to rescue me from the hellish depths of Pisikafeyz, California.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

I haven't play the mouse game.

But I just wanted to post that adding alternate costumes is ridiculously easy to do with 3D animation, so I saw that coming the day that it was confirmed 3D. It'd be silly of them to not do it, really. I mean, on one hand I think the stuff seen in Tekken and VF is tacky, but the way it's done in Soul Calibur makes perfect sense to me and I think it looks good.

If SF goes the SC route with the Alt.costumes then all I can say is I strongly approve. Aesthetics don't really mean fuckall when you're getting into the tournament scene, but I will admit that good aesthetics count for a lot.
Looks like Jolly Ranchers & Baskin's Sherbet.
Maj

Post by Maj »

It was only surprising because Ono had ruled out alternate costumes early on. Said something about wanting to preserve the characters' iconic looks. I'm glad he changed his mind.

Kinda random but i just found this old trailer for Capcom Fighting All-Stars which shows Charlie doing a Sonic Hurricane. I can't believe there's a Sonic Hurricane in the world that i'm never gonna be able to use in a combo. Made me really sad for a minute, until i noticed that the opponent started blocking midway through it. Dumb ghetto game.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Yeah, I think it's "funny" the enormous amount of Mike Haggar fanboyism that pops up whenever there's a new game that he could theoretically show up in. And then sadly he was actually confirmed for the All-Star cast, which then flopped before anyone even got to play it. I don't even know why he's so popular, maybe because everyone else has reappeared except him, heh.

But yeah, a good roster certainly doesn't guarantee a good game!
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nchxbCRpRRo

I guess this is a week old by now.

Initial thoughts:
- Saving whatevers look like Red Earth's Ultimate Guard even more now that I have seen it in use.
- Super animations way way too long. It's 3D, but so fucking what, are they giving players enough time to ash/light up a smoke during a super?
- Frontstep cancelling totally looks like Roman cancelling, wheee.

Whatever, back to not caring.
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

This video has been posted three whole times now!

1. It doesn't really look like ultimate guard to me since ultimate guard can take multiple hits and such...t his only takes one and then you are fucked. Also you don't take damage in ultimate guard (as far as I remember) and from I remember of ultimate guard in a competitive game *IE CFJ* it is not used the same.

2.Japanese arcade players all smoke. Obviously this was meant for them. Also I like watching long animations! I never skip through attack animations in RPGs, cause I think they are dope.

3.Front step canceling is not like roman cancel for a variety of reasons. The one that gets me the most is it does not make every move you cancel safe! Roman Cancel when used right gives you the ability to make anything safe. This is not the case with front step.

The only thing that gets me about this game is that the new characters all seem worse than the old characters which is pretty sad. I was hoping for an exciting combo engine ala CVS 2 or Marvel. But it seems we are getting a blase combo system ala 3s. Not that 3s combo videos aren't interesting, but alot of the stuff behind them is very upfront. Alot of the interesting bits all just have to do with how characters get hit by things not because of subtle engine based things at work.

I find it interesting they went back and drew hitboxes for moves instead of using 3d collisons, to make it seem more SF.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

1. It is used the same, just not in CFJ because it works differently there (so does the rest of the game). This sort of mechanic isn't unfamiliar to me at all. It's just a universal autoguard move like shield-bunkers or catch-counter moves. Except you take damage during it (so what, just don't use it to sack projectiles).

2. Garbage.

3. Yeah, that's true. But it's still an all-cancel front step. I realize the intricacies of having some moves safe on cancel and some moves not makes a big difference in how you can use it, but so what. In the end, you still use it to cancel moves into frontstep, just which ones that you use it with are limited.

What little interest I had for this game is gone now that I've seen more gameplay footage. Even if this game was handed to me I can't see myself bothering with it for more than a minute.

That's not to say that I foresee it being a bad game, on the contrary I'm sure it's a pretty good/fun game that lots of people will enjoy. But, I won't be one of them.
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

well the second comment was def a joke.

I played this game alot this weekend. I like it. It's like 3s but without parries, and a few other interesting changers.

I don't really know what else to say I can answer questions if people want.
desk

Post by desk »

I'm sure everyone heard the infinite rumours but the vids don't show it quite yet. It's still looks pretty stupid to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3X0RAPgUSo

also I made a cv from the footage I got at evo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyjGQgccLNU
Maj

Post by Maj »

Looks like there was a new Tatsunoko vs Capcom trailer released. It's got some anime sequences, including a brief appearance by Alex which has to be cool for SF3 fans - even if it's kind of a consolation prize for none of the SF3 characters making it into SF4.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Hahaha, SRK is speculating on a possible Gouken unlock based on some interview or something.

Well, I have nothing to say that hasn't been said already!
laugh

Post by laugh »

I actually have a good reason to believe Gouken is in the game. According to what I know, the producer has said he's in it. So even if Gouken is in fact in the game, I won't be surprised at all.

I've been playing SF4 nonstop lately. The first impression I got was that it was just as I expected; something fun enough to pass the time till the 2nd installment comes along. However, the more I played and got used to the intricacies of the game, I'm finding SF4 to be a very well made game. It's very reasonable and there is plenty of strategy and tactics to be made in the game. I like it a lot, and I hope you guys will get to try it soon too.
CC that shit
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Sorry to crosspost irc logs. Lazy wins.

[9/21-20:48] <sibladeko> [20:37] <@DS893> [20:05] <tzukaZONE> http://www.sirlin.net/wordpress/wp-cont ... Ryu500.jpg
[9/21-20:48] <sibladeko> [20:38] <@DS893> [20:06] <tzukaZONE> http://www.sirlin.net/wordpress/wp-cont ... efcase.jpg
[9/21-20:48] <sibladeko> [20:38] <@DS893> [20:04] <tzukaZONE> http://www.sirlin.net/wordpress/wp-cont ... _block.JPG
[9/21-20:48] <sibladeko> [20:38] <@DS893> [20:04] <polarity> http://www.sirlin.net/wordpress/wp-cont ... erials.jpg
[9/21-20:48] <sibladeko> [20:38] <@DS893> [19:56] <LIL_WAYNE> http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa23 ... ogo300.png
[9/21-20:48] <sibladeko> [20:38] <@DS893> [19:56] <LIL_WAYNE> http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa23 ... ogo400.jpg
[9/21-20:49] <mauve> heh funny
[9/21-20:50] <sibladeko> lot of hidden dev stuff and other randomness
Maj

Post by Maj »

Did any of that stuff come with explanations or clarifications? None of it looks like the SF4 we've got now.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Possibly, but it was hopped over a few channels unfortunately, so I only got the link end of it and not the conversations proceeding or following.

Regardless, it's kind of interesting stuff.
ZenFire

Post by ZenFire »

laugh wrote:I've been playing SF4 nonstop lately. The first impression I got was that it was just as I expected; something fun enough to pass the time till the 2nd installment comes along. However, the more I played and got used to the intricacies of the game, I'm finding SF4 to be a very well made game. It's very reasonable and there is plenty of strategy and tactics to be made in the game. I like it a lot, and I hope you guys will get to try it soon too.
I'm totally jealous. I have a deep desire to become good at this game. I think it's because it's the first streetfighter since I started playing them seriosuly that I'm "with" from the beginning... somewhat... I have no access to it while others do so this is very frustrating. =[
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

Viper as people would probably guess is a combo monster. Crazy combos that take some execution. She can totally do shit no one else gets to thanks to super jump and feints its pretty awesome.

By stuff I mean things like she has a special you can super jump cancel... because that you can cancel that special into saving attack for free... pretty nifty.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Ok i feel i need to clarify the difference between our two SF4 threads: This one isn't really an SF4 thread.

It so happens that 90% of it is about SF4, which comes from the timing (as well as the title), but this one is really a fighting game news thread. As in, we use this thread to discuss games before they're released. Now again SF4 is walking the middle because it's not technically out outside Japan. However, the above post totally belongs in the SF4 Combo Engine Investigation thread.

That is all. Carry on.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Has anyone been following the news on KoF XII? Here's a fairly recent trailer showcasing about a dozen characters. The hand-drawn animation looks incredibly smooth. Is this game going to have GGX-style trading hits without damage?
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

Maj wrote:Has anyone been following the news on KoF XII? Here's a fairly recent trailer showcasing about a dozen characters. The hand-drawn animation looks incredibly smooth. Is this game going to have GGX-style trading hits without damage?
Lol. I can help in that area. Check http://www.youtube.com/user/Cyberfanatix for vids and if you wants if more info, let me know. (off topic)
Maj

Post by Maj »

Cool. What do you guys know about the trading hits feature? Also, there's no superfreeze in KoF12?
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

the theory is the game hasn't added alot of stuff ala super freeze and such because its only 60% done probably see super freeze and speed up on super execution when we get closer to 80 or 90% done.
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

Maj wrote:Cool. What do you guys know about the trading hits feature? Also, there's no superfreeze in KoF12?
Sorry, im on holidays and didnt see a reply till now. The game is meant to feature a clash system similar to GG. Which includes clashes of normal hits and special moves. In theory its meant to elimiate counter hits in away, so some fans are abit worried on that. The clash system can also be done in the air so air to ground clashing is possible.

There is a few other things meant to be added on but i dont have the details of them as of yet. Been away for nearly 3 weeks and i havent been to my home site since net cafe wont let me view it for some reason. But the game is like 60% done and yes there isnt any slowdowns when DMs are done or super bars present. Prob will be later on near completion but at the moment no there isnt any freezes. Some have now turned their heads to the updated 2k2 game.

The designers have stated that they wont to go back to the roots of the series which is why you see original looking Robert and Classic Terry. Whether that statement just means looks or a more simplified gameplay im not sure yet. Things are looking up tho. Iori fans will have to adopt new playstyle since he is flameless in this version, so ive been told.

Till i get back home and check for more news, ill update here.
Maj

Post by Maj »

There's gonna be a King of Fighters movie?
Insanity wrote:Synopsis: A stylish, high-octane, live action feature based on the highly successful video game franchise, in which the last surviving descendants of three legendary clans are continuously transported to other dimensions to test their martial arts skills against an evil force that seeks to invade and infect the real world.
What?
Maj

Post by Maj »

Don't own a PS3, don't want one, don't care about any of these fancy games they show in tv commercials ...

Until now!

(Seriously though, all these state-of-the-art futuristic 3D games need to get the fuck off my lawn.)
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

Maj wrote:There's gonna be a King of Fighters movie?
Insanity wrote:Synopsis: A stylish, high-octane, live action feature based on the highly successful video game franchise, in which the last surviving descendants of three legendary clans are continuously transported to other dimensions to test their martial arts skills against an evil force that seeks to invade and infect the real world.
What?
Yes, exactly my thoughts.

Lots of new news surrounding XII.

http://au.youtube.com/user/Cyberfanatix

Check the vids out.

The Critical Counter (or CC is what we at CX are calling it) has been explained a bit more. It is triggered when a special move is counter with a C or D attack. Now im not 100% sure if that includes cC or cD, but so far it just sC / sD. When CC is triggered, it allows you do whatever combo you want. This is something that needs to be checked cos when i see "whatever" i would think "whatever" and so far thats what it looks like. Gone are the conventional staple or certain link in CC combos. More info when it comes out about that to insure on what exactly you can do.

CC is the only wasy so far where you can link a DM like a proper combo, a la old series. The games seem to be orientated around CC so far, combo and damage wise.

Clashing is still in, but i havent seen how you benefit from it correctly.

Full character roster is out. Some where surprised since Elizabeth was announced like AGES ago. In the full list she isnt present so lots of people are woundering why. http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/ ... index.html

Characters like Kensou and Chin seem to have undergone some good changes. People are loving Kensou new style and Joes new look.

Super bar have been added aswell, but this time you only get 1 level. So that is something different that no one is expecting.

Bout it so far....should I post more when i get it?
Maj

Post by Maj »

If it's any consolation, that new Chun Li movie is looking pretty terrible too.

KoFXII's new Critical Counter system seems like an interesting way of incorporating Custom Combos into the game without having to deal with activation invincibility. I like how it's shortened to the same "CC" acronym too. But i'm not sure if critical hits should be worth so much damage. I think SFA3/CvS2 got it right, where it gives you a little more damage and a tiny bit more frame advantage. Well, i'm looking forward to seeing what a fighting game looks like when it places so much emphasis on critical hits. Should be an interesting experiment.

Totally digging the new designs for Leona and some of the other characters, but Iori doesn't look so great.

Thanks for the update, sir. Please do post more when major news happens.
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

I mean some of the designs are random for sure. But I agree leona is dope (female guile?) as is Chin and psycho soldier Kensou. I wish elizabeth would have been in, maybe she is as a secret character. The game itself looks amazing thogh. like watching an animated movie! so cool.
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

Maj wrote:If it's any consolation, that new Chun Li movie is looking pretty terrible too.

KoFXII's new Critical Counter system seems like an interesting way of incorporating Custom Combos into the game without having to deal with activation invincibility. I like how it's shortened to the same "CC" acronym too. But i'm not sure if critical hits should be worth so much damage. I think SFA3/CvS2 got it right, where it gives you a little more damage and a tiny bit more frame advantage. Well, i'm looking forward to seeing what a fighting game looks like when it places so much emphasis on critical hits. Should be an interesting experiment.

Totally digging the new designs for Leona and some of the other characters, but Iori doesn't look so great.

Thanks for the update, sir. Please do post more when major news happens.
I agree. Damage wise its way too much and I can already see the game turning into a turtle poke fest cos players are scared to get into a CC situation. They have months worth of finalizing the game so yeah, lots of updates should be upon us.
fullmetalross wrote:I mean some of the designs are random for sure. But I agree leona is dope (female guile?) as is Chin and psycho soldier Kensou. I wish elizabeth would have been in, maybe she is as a secret character. The game itself looks amazing thogh. like watching an animated movie! so cool.
Ill keep an eye out as Elizabeth not being in it is still big news.

There is some small talk about tagging being involved like XI, but ill wait till i hear more of this to warrant it worth another update.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Maj wrote:If it's any consolation, that new Chun Li movie is looking pretty terrible too.
[12/4-05:48] <ikusat> will we get to see tuesday in the movie
[12/4-05:48] <ikusat> i'd watch it for that alone